Anyone else leaving because of Snobby players?

StoogeyStoogey Australia (Land Down Under) Join Date: 2013-09-29 Member: 188516Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
Today and a few other days I've been playing on the Australian servers and I am greeted by players just being out right rude to each other, bragging about how good they are and how better they are then other players. And constantly putting down the lesser players and making them feel worse about how they play and making some players leave.

Now this Probably is not a big issue.. But its been ruining my nights on the game, and I was curious if anyone else has had this happen whilst they play.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    This mostly never happens in ns2, yes there are some players trolling and abusing others but normally they get kicked / banned after one round and thats it.
  • StoogeyStoogey Australia (Land Down Under) Join Date: 2013-09-29 Member: 188516Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not on the Aussie server. 0 bans are given. 0 Fucks are given.
  • bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    who in particular are you talking about ? We enforce bans on the monash servers only ,as those are the ones we have admin to. Most players in aus are generally friendly and nice -- some get frustrated a lot but that is the internet and cannot be controlled. If you genuinely have a problem with players being rude and abusive, contact an admin or post a thread on the ausns2.org feedback section of the forums and an admin will look into it (so long as its on Monash servers). We tend to know the names of most community members so identifying whether a person is trolling or being abusive is quite easy for us.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    It's a shame to hear these rejects are ruining the game for you.

When I started I encountered plenty of helpful people giving hints/tips. In my 300 hours I have only encountered a handful of "snobby" players who consistently insult others, and in some cases I've seen them get vote kicked... In my experience NS2 has one of the nicest communities out there.

Now that being said I have seen a lot of anger/frustration when rookie players without a clue try to command... but that's understandable since they're ruining the game for everyone. Nobody should command without first watching tutorials and learning the UI in training mode.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I've never really had problems here in EU, with few exceptions.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @F0rdPrefect I agree, however I might have been hardened by the LoL community.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    The problem with the aus community is it's so small everyone ends up playing with each other every night and because not that many are high skilled (talking pub servers here) some people get frustrated when playing in them. It's not like they can just leave and join a server with, if not a better server, players they don't know.

For the most part I think everyone gets along pretty well though.
  • KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    I get a lot of "bad" personalities in EU servers. To say that this community is clean and innocent is not right. It depends on how we act upon these players that are just dirty'ing the day.
    Once in a marine game the commander called the whole team useless because we were outplayed by the alien team (they simply had better teamwork and players), I answered him with a simple comment being; "Sorry, I am no competitive gamer and can not work magic". Which he answered rudely; "Then get off this server". Mind you this was a Normal Pub server, not a open clan server or such.
    Another marine game I gave our commander a tip that he should get one or more arcs to our mainbase after to many whip rushes. When whip rushes continue happening, lost proto and almost the power once I repeated myself sometimes. Which I just got a written "Shut up" by the commander. Which just made me play around the rest of that game being a harassing exo killing harverster (was fun :P )
    And even if this can just be ignored by a lot of people, this is not being a complete good community and I don't like getting a "shut up" thrown in my face when I am just trying to help. But I am not calling this a bad community either, it just falls down as being average with rare good people, lots of normals and then the "bad" people that are going to ruin your day of games.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Kattcattis wrote: »
    I get a lot of "bad" personalities in EU servers. To say that this community is clean and innocent is not right. It depends on how we act upon these players that are just dirty'ing the day.
    Once in a marine game the commander called the whole team useless because we were outplayed by the alien team (they simply had better teamwork and players), I answered him with a simple comment being; "Sorry, I am no competitive gamer and can not work magic". Which he answered rudely; "Then get off this server". Mind you this was a Normal Pub server, not a open clan server or such.
    Another marine game I gave our commander a tip that he should get one or more arcs to our mainbase after to many whip rushes. When whip rushes continue happening, lost proto and almost the power once I repeated myself sometimes. Which I just got a written "Shut up" by the commander. Which just made me play around the rest of that game being a harassing exo killing harverster (was fun :P )
    And even if this can just be ignored by a lot of people, this is not being a complete good community and I don't like getting a "shut up" thrown in my face when I am just trying to help. But I am not calling this a bad community either, it just falls down as being average with rare good people, lots of normals and then the "bad" people that are going to ruin your day of games.

Hm. Which servers do you usually play on? I'm usually on UK Teamplay, YOClan or survival of the fattest, and I almost exclusively meet nice-ish people :-/
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've only met two players that are consistently nasty and elitist to other players. You sometimes get the occasional asshole but much less in this game than any other probably because the community is small and dedicated server based. It's amazing what anonymity from matchmaking does to change them from normal people to complete toxic assholes. Sometimes I'm glad this game doesn't have that.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    In my experience NS2 is the most polite (VOIP using) community around.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Kattcattis:

Every game has its idiots. It's like in real life. But NS2 is the better place in comparison to other games like LoL or CS.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    @TheOneStooge Hmmm. That sucks. If you want to follow up on it, as bonage said, come to the ausns2.org forums and take it up there. We actually DO care believe it or not about the Australian community as a whole and the servers as well. But yeah, you'll only really be able to do something about it at ausns2.org as many of the server admins reside there.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    You get the occaisional asshole on ns2, but if you've ever played a game like LOL I'm sure you'll be able to appreciate the maturity of the ns2 community.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Played any other multilayer game before .. ? This is the reality of it. NS2 being as niche as it is suffers from it very little in comparison. Don't play LoL anytime soon if this is getting to you.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    You usually meet the same players on certain servers, just look for a server whose players are nice/polite.
  • KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @F0rdPrefect I am usually not playing on Yoclan and UK teamplay because it's a server for 20 people or more and I don't like going up 10vs10 :( I have played on survival of the fattest, but because it's a rookie friendly server I might switch. I mostly pop up on the Slaughterhouse server. Are your name different from the forum name? It always confuses me when people changes their name left and right :P

@_Necro_ Yeah, I fully understand that. But I have never been playing games like CS and lol :) I played Ns1 for maybe half a year back in the days. Got my first steam account 1 year ago and Ns2 is my very first game like this. So I am still getting used to these kind of people.
    @F0rdPrefect I am usually not playing on Yoclan and UK teamplay because it's a server for 20 people or more and I don't like going up 10vs10 :( I have played on survival of the fattest, but because it's a rookie friendly server I might switch. I mostly pop up on the Slaughterhouse server. Are your name different from the forum name? It always confuses me when people changes their name left and right :P

Ha, yes^^

I'm Vetinari ingame, I think we met once (see sig. I have to make that note bigger...).
    I think one of the UK Teamplay servers is 9v9, so if you don't mind that... there's some skilled players around, rookie friendly doesn't actually mean much outside of sales, imo.
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I'm Vetinari ingame...

Really?! I did wonder who Vetinari was on the SCC server!
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    That's one of the reason i want to put a virtual sticker on players.
    Wanna play / avoid. Good, Avrg, beginner. Things like that.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    There are a few morons, cretins, and idiots around, talented or not. There are always abusive people, especially on the internet. NS2 is really not that bad, and we do have some really genuinely decent folk around - again high, mid and low skill alike.

The best advice I can give is try to ignore those players who are abusive or otherwise obnoxious. They're usually loud-mouthed idiots with no life, and you get to know their names pretty quickly. Hell, I recently added another to my mentally stored 'ignore this imbecile' list the other day.

To mute a player's VOIP, left click on the scoreboard to activate the mouse and then click the speaker icon to the left of their name.

Thankfully these destructive and rude people really are in the minority!
    I'm Vetinari ingame...

Really?! I did wonder who Vetinari was on the SCC server!

Yep, that's me :D

Adjusting my sig right now...
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    My opinion is that if someone is determining a persons (themselves or another) self worth by how well said person is playing a video game then they deserve pity rather than a loathsome attitude and ignore them.
    @F0rdPrefect Well, I hope we'll see each other out there! Either in the same team or against each others :D
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    edited October 2013

You're not that bad but you've had your fair share of "issues". Far be it from me to call a girl out in a public forum where 9999 white knights might defend her to the grave (for reasons one can surmise). I was playing one time and there was a marine putting a PG up in Monorail. When I got there I had around 10HP, so I didn't go in. I had regen so I decided to heal up and call for assistance. You must have died and then out of frustration said to me something to the effect of, "why don't you bloody going in there? Oh I forgot you care so much about your k/d" - not the reason at all. No point in engaging with him across the room with line of sight on me, and around 10hp. I can understand your frustration because I think we were losing quite badly, and you had just been killed, but such an attitude is unfavourable.

In other news, I am not quite sure what it's like in the Aus community. I cannot imagine it would be that different to the European one. Perhaps, as ghost mentions, it is because the community is so small - this might create rivalries that turn a tad sour.

I have come across elitists before in this game but it's usually just a show of impatience, as opposed to malicious intent. There's this guy (I won't say his name because of the "name and shame" thing) but he's incredibly rude and angry when he commands. He's British and sounds like he's from Manchester. Loves the sentry strat. I LOVE being commanded by him because he's so rude to everyone (in an OTT manner to the point that it's just hilarious). Even if he's rude to me. "WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU TWO DOING IN NANO YOU F***ING MORONS I TOLD YOU TO.....OMG DO I NEED TO SHI**ING BABY SIT THIS LOBOTOMISED TEAM OR SOMETHING".

But yeah - a bit of a tangent. Either way, try to find the silver lining of amusement when one gets so angry and competitive in a videogame when playing on a casual pub server - and encourage others to do the same.

Edit: Oh yeah and to echo the sentiments expressed above: I am highly critical of NS2 in a number of ways but if there is one thing for which I can praise it it is the player base. Most people are kind and helpful. The only game I have played more than NS2 on Steam is Zombie Panic:Source. Great game but most people are incredibly selfish and rude in it.
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Personally, the NS2 players community is nothing but a bunch of little punks. I swear, I've never played with so many assholes as I do in NS2. NS1 had the best community ever, which is the reason why I invested in the sequel.
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Well this is turning into a pleasant thread. It's nice to see people showing respect for their fellow players and not making themselves look like they belong in the problematic minority.
    @Kattcattis going to check out the slaughterhouse server^^
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    PoNeH wrote: »
    Personally, the NS2 players community is nothing but a bunch of little punks. I swear, I've never played with so many assholes as I do in NS2. NS1 had the best community ever, which is the reason why I invested in the sequel.

You can't categorize everyone like that just because you've met some really arrogant and rude people. There will always be individuals like that in every community and there's close to nothing that can be done about it, both because that's just how some people are today (sadly) and this is the internet. Lots of people have the constant need to boost their ego/pride in the online gaming world, trying to look good & tough. I still don't fully understand why but that's just how it is, I'm sure we've all done it at one point but realized it's wrong and stupid.

There's usually nothing you can do when you meet those people, you can't talk sense to them nor reason with them, believe me. Your best option would be to just ignore them and not -feed the troll-, despite the fact they're rude, arrogant, annoying or just plain retarded. I'm basing this off my experience so you might be dealing with something different.

Just look for a server and get to know the people, once you find a couple of servers that include a nice community just play there, odds are the same people will play on the same server(s). A game doesn't necessary need a polite and nice community to be good, but it does make it better and more enjoyable.

Just learn to ignore them, it's the easiest and most effective way.