Cluster Grenades, Gas Grenades, found in ns2!

frmehefrmehe Join Date: 2012-07-08 Member: 153980Members
edited May 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
GasGrenade: nerve gas
ClusterGrenade: 4 grenades in one
PulseGrenade: energy damage
kMaxHandGrenades = 2
i found this three codes in ns2, looks like marines will get handgrenades!

Grenades are going to be making a comeback in some form.

{thanks to YMICrazy502}

Comments

• frmehefrmehe Join Date: 2012-07-08 Member: 153980Members
    now it's confirmed
  • BartdeBoerBartdeBoer Join Date: 2013-04-24 Member: 184959Members
    Grenades would be cool, but a little OP in my opinion. It'll only work when they need to be researched, and are as expensive as Mines(15res) So the commander needs to make a choice at first. Mines or Grenades? Buy costs should be less, 5res per Grenade(up to 4 grenades) The blast radius shouldn't be that huge but powerful still. One grenade should easily kill a skulk without Carapace when fully hit. Pulse and Gas would be great additions, Cluster would be way out balanced. Pulse &nd Gas should be upgrades at the Advance Armory, 5/10 res p. Upgrade. The reason I find Cluster out balanced is because; When you're in a big fight or attacking a Hive-room, just throw a couple of Cluster grenades, destroying eggs and doing a lot of ''AOE'' damage. Grenades SHOULD have friendly fire enabled.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    You needed to research the code to get a confirmation?
    I thought the big message in the console about some error in conjunction with the models for gr_nerve, gr_cluster and gr_pulse that you get on every start of the game and Cory's statement were evidence enough already…

^
    But here we go again with people suggesting nerfs and balance adjustments before they even got to play the stuff.
    You have no idea how they are going to be implemented, what pres and tres cost and upgrade requirements will be associated with them, how many you buy at once, how their range and trajectory will be like, how long it takes to throw one, how much damage each will do, how far clusters split apart, how long nerve gas stays, how big the cloud is, how much energy is taken, etc.
    They will definitely cost pres each time you purchase them and then you only get a limited number of them per purchase. In a situation where you want to lock down a Hive would you be off a lot better if you just took a normal Grenade Launcher.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2013-05-09 Member: 185176
    nades? Well ok but then I want something that can counter this, maybe the Hydras can destroy them or the babblers?
  • BartdeBoerBartdeBoer Join Date: 2013-04-24 Member: 184959Members
    CrushaK wrote: »
    I thought the big message in the console about some error in conjunction with the models for gr_nerve, gr_cluster and gr_pulse that you get on every start of the game and Cory's statement were evidence enough already…

^
    But here we go again with people suggesting nerfs and balance adjustments before they even got to play the stuff.
    You have no idea how they are going to be implemented, what pres and tres cost and upgrade requirements will be associated with them, how many you buy at once, how their range and trajectory will be like, how long it takes to throw one, how much damage each will do, how far clusters split apart, how long nerve gas stays, how big the cloud is, how much energy is taken, etc.
    They will definitely cost pres each time you purchase them and then you only get a limited number of them per purchase. In a situation where you want to lock down a Hive would you be off a lot better if you just took a normal Grenade Launcher.

Sorry, Agreed.
    I'm just a bit afraid Grenades get to OP because of the many options.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Nades were a nice gadget in ns1 for early game time. If you don't know if there is a skulk or two hiding behind the next door bow, just throw in a nade. If it does damage...better prepare. But I wouldn't go so far to say that they were a one shot killer. Maybe with a direct hit? I remember them as a great support tool...and I think that is the role it should get in ns2 as well. There are enough deadly weapons to kill aliens. I wonder when aliens will get focus or something usefull as well. I wouldn't really call babblers useful...and nades will surely make them even more useless :P

If the nades will nullify every chance for the aliens to lay an ambush (what they need to keep themselfs barely alive already), then I am opposing them despite the fact that I would love to see them and other ns1 features return...
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This has been known for a while, the old glauncher attachment had a description at the armory mentioning all of these
  • frmehefrmehe Join Date: 2012-07-08 Member: 153980Members
    you are right, nobody in the whole world would think that "gr_" could mean any diffrent then grenade.
    everybody should learn from you!!

as you can see, many people did not know, there people outside this world, who are not sitting every day, every hour at a pc.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    They don't need to get fancy with the grenades, just do the same thing as ns1. Have them researched and when you spawn in you have a couple in your inventory.
    edited May 2013
    frmehe wrote: »
    you are right, nobody in the whole world would think that "gr_" could mean any diffrent then grenade.
    everybody should learn from you!!

as you can see, many people did not know, there people outside this world, who are not sitting every day, every hour at a pc.

Taking a look at the console from time to time to see what a game might be doing in the background is a common practice for me. In NS2 the console in the main menu tells me the progress of the game updating/downloading/installing mods and compiling shaders (aka the reason for why it sometimes takes quite a lot of time until the main menu becomes responsive after a patch).

Given that Cory mentioned it before and that the files are in a folder named "grenades" and the connection from "nerve (gas)" to grenade is not very far off…

Seeing that those files exist and knowing that NS2 comes with all it's editors for modding (since that fact is advertised in many places), it didn't take much to type "grenade" in the search mask of the Windows Explorer while being in NS2's base directory in order to have a folder named "grenades" come up which contains the files
    cluster_main_explo.cinematic
    cluster_small_explo.cinematic
    nerve_explo.cinematic
    pulse_explo.cinematic

I never used any of the editors of this game before, but it wasn't hard to figure out that I should open the "CinematicEditor.exe" in NS2's installation directory since that would seem like the most likely program to open files that have a ".cinematic" extension. This way I could open the files and take a look at the particle effects of the grenades already. In case you are interested:
    Main Cluster Explosion:
    ewMT0jk.jpg

Smaller Cluster Explosions:
    uwWeXOY.jpg

Nerve Gas Stream:
    Ang8gcu.jpg

Pulse Grenade Explosion:
    gZ2hDnF.jpg

While I was at it, I took a look at other things that exist in the files but are currently not in the game.
    Of course some things have been around in the beta but probably didn't turn out useful enough or properly balance, like
    Tasers
    8f22wiY.jpg

or Catalyst Packs
    J1kGgKa.jpg

But there are also the threads of upcoming Gorge Webs:
    UrbdqOr.jpg

And then there is this thing that is called a "Weapons Module", but I have no clue if it was already around or is planned or what it's actually about:
    BnB3a4l.jpg
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I think the weapons module is just the top of the advanced armory.
    Ah, that might make sense.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Grenades sound like a great idea for moving into dying PGs. Since they removed the pushback, PGs become meatgrinders if there are 2+ lifeforms attacking them.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    If grenades are implemented, I would like to see them as a purchase-able item rather than free on spawn. Even at some cheap value, say 2 pres per grenade, would at least reduce the spam a little in large playercount servers.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The taser was from April fools/ was cut, the weapons module is the advanced armory thing, and the cat packs/gorge webs are still planned.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    What if the devs promise not to add the goofy music? Would that make it better?
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited May 2013

The gr messages refer to specific ammo for the gl I believe. OP was talking about hand grenades.
    kMaxHANDGrenades = 2
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Not a fan of grenades because they almost always devolve into this:

You would have been better off using video of a late game ns base defence, the kind of spam in that video isnt really a problem with large maps and 2 nades per person (which in ns you could not restock without respawning).
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2013
    Yes there's been a console message for a while, and unfortunately the art assets slipped in too...they've been in there and viewable for a while... but i fear you just ruined the surprise for everyone with those pics, @crushak :(

P.s. that last pic is what makes an advanced armory, it sits ontop
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Yes there's been a console message for a while, and unfortunately the art assets slipped in too...they've been in there and viewable for a while... but i fear you just ruined the surprise for everyone with those pics, @crushak :(

I thought everyone knew about that stuff xD I know I regularly go through the folders after a patch ever since I found the untextured babbler model awhile back. I almost made a thread about these when I found them too but I figured it was already old news by then...

I don't think it counts much as a surprise when it almost always says "failed to load whateverthenamefortheclustergrenadefileis" in the console whenever you join a server. (and it used to give a message about gorge web, too, but that was pre 240 I think)
    IronHorse wrote: »

If he didnt I would have, I usually do. I wonder if the sounds are in there...
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter

Kinda reminds me of Nuclear Dawn.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow

I'm not worried about that at all.. grenades are free in battlefield. I'm assuming they'd either have a cost or be non-refillable in this game.
  • fat catfat cat Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164696Members, Reinforced - Silver

^

5 res for 1 grenade is way too expensive, and if it costs the same as mines they wont be used much. maybe 15 res for 5 grenades would be more ideal.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Grenade spam is/was easily solved by making them limited per spawn and cost research. The mobile ammo kits are the bigger issue in ... Semi-Mechanized Infantry 3 (I refuse to call it battlefield, since it isn't anymore :( )
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    I wonder if the sounds are in there...
    No specific handgrenade sounds. Only the common explosion sounds are inside the NS2.fev. And a DSP effect for catalyst packs. Probably highpitch or something like that.

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I don't care how much grenades would suck. I just LOVE TO THROW THINGS. It's just so much fun. Maybe give us grenades as default equipment, but just 1 per spawn, and only deals like half the gl grenades damage? You could use them to spot skulks.

Oh, oh! Make it so the explosion timer runs down if you keep M1 pressed! All the way till you suicide with a grenade! AWESOME! I should be a developer. (Oh God please no.)
  • ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
    So I can do Marine Xenocide if I cook the grenade too long in my hand? :D
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm not worried about that at all.. grenades are free in battlefield. I'm assuming they'd either have a cost or be non-refillable in this game.
    Just wait till a 10 marine hive rush with grenades on a pub server. I'm not saying that you can't make a non-spammable grenade system, but most of the games I've seen with grenades result in undesirable spam.