Anybody else miss grenades?

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
Remember the 'nades from earlier development builds and NS1? I miss having those for flushing skulks out of vents and behind RTs. Were they too OP and removed?

Comments

• sanobrewsanobrew Join Date: 2007-05-04 Member: 60801Members
    They were OP in NS1's time and were removed, why would they add it to NS2 only to remove it later?
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited March 2013
    They weren't OP in NS1, you just had to learn how to anticipate them as a skulk and play smart. They were already in NS2 back in significantly earlier builds, but I'm not sure why they were removed as they're a lot of fun to use.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    Both grenades and GLs were not OP because you always heard them before they reached you. You heard a marine pulling out the safety mechanism, and a GL firing a grenade.

Grenades were pretty cool for both sides I think.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Grenades + Armory = Nadespamcity

Anyone whose played either an old school fps (e.g. TFC) or Empiresmod know that any form of grenades + ammo leads to nadespam. Would prefer to keep NS2 nadespam free.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Who says nades have to be replenishable? If i remember correctly, you got 2 per life in NS1. If it was the same in NS2, i couldn't see it being a realistic problem
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    NS1 Grenades in a Nutshell

Is that what you really want? I definitely don't.

Grenade Launcher already fills its role relatively well (barring whips) and promotes more specialization and teamwork. Adding hand grenades to the game would either be redundant or render the GL useless.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    lol! Spawn, throw both grenades, die, rinse and repeat. If you thought the current marines turtles were bad...
  • EvisceratorEviscerator Join Date: 2003-02-24 Member: 13946Members, Constellation
    ScardyBob wrote: »

Anyone whose played either an old school fps (e.g. TFC) or Empiresmod know that any form of grenades + ammo leads to nadespam. Would prefer to keep NS2 nadespam free.

Hand grenades in NS1 could not be refilled at an armory, and they had to be researched first. You got some small number every time you spawned. You use them up, that's it. Doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Would love to get them back, and cat packs to be honest. Simply put a p.res cost on them if 'grenade spam' is a perceived issue. If anything they add more depth to the game, which is always good.

Also, weldables goddamnit. I miss them so much.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2013
    I liked the handgrenade from NS1. Added some versatility. Instead of letting marines spawn with grenades on hand, just make them a buy option at the armory for 2-3 res/grenade. Cuts down on the spam problem.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Hand grenades were removed from NS1? Don't think they were...
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    1.) Take the GL-attachment model and animations.
    2.) Make it cost 2 - 3 p-res for one grenade at the armory. (Max 1 possible. After firing it, it detaches itself!)
    3.) ????
    4.) Profit.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013

Empires still is. Ammo box infront of you, lob granades till you die. Respawn, Repeat.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    edited March 2013

That's my favourite tactic in Empires. :P Sit in cover and lay waste to whatever was infront of me with minutes upon minutes of continuous grenade spam. Kind of lame though, but hey, who needs skill...

Anyway, they've tried reviving it a bit recently: http://www.empiresmod.com/
  • Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    1.) Take the GL-attachment model and animations.
    2.) Make it cost 2 - 3 p-res for one grenade at the armory. (Max 1 possible. After firing it, it detaches itself!)
    3.) ????
    4.) Profit.
    Yeah, I would definitely like more one-time use items from the armory somewhat similar to mines. There are too many maps where a lerk or skulk can go into a vent, and you can't do anything about them until you get JP and/or GL. That one skulk that always runs back and forth between skylights and overlook biting the towers, and if you camp at both ends of it, he'll just wait forever for you to leave tying up two marines.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    I'd love to have just one grenade at spawn and you don't get another until you respawn... no armory replenish.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

Why would you need an old school fps for that?
    --> Metro 64 noobtube heaven!
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    why not just make them like mines.. obviously not as costly though
    Namm wrote: »
    That's my favourite tactic in Empires. :P Sit in cover and lay waste to whatever was infront of me with minutes upon minutes of continuous grenade spam. Kind of lame though, but hey, who needs skill...

Anyway, they've tried reviving it a bit recently: http://www.empiresmod.com/
    I did my fair share in the nadespam olympics on District402 so I know the feeling. Though, in Empiresmod the unbuilt wall + ammo crate + seismic spam was great at demolishing structures, so it had its uses. Nice to see it trying to make a comeback (might have to give it another go :)).

The issue I see is that 24+ player servers with lots of people dying means lots of people with nades. In the small, enclosed maps that make up NS2, even a few nades can make it unplayable spam. Just look at all the complaints regarding people GLing at their teammates feet.
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The only thing I miss about NS1 hand grenades was the glory of declaring, "TAMPON KILL!!!" after killing an alien with one of the hand grenades.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    As a marine, yes.

As a skulk, I have enough problems.
  • kibblesandbitskibblesandbits Join Date: 2013-03-15 Member: 184004Members
    Grenades are going to be making a comeback in some form.

Welp that's something I fear as a skulk
  • MaLuSMaLuS Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182769Members
    so many times i've been a marine with a skulk that is camping a vent and got me parisited and i've thought to myself "what i wouldn't give for a hand grenade right now" nothing spectacular, just a simple hand grenade to flush that little sod out.
  • FarewelltoarmsFarewelltoarms gainesville fl Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183603Members
    Guys

Guise

Hey guys

What if, what if aliens got grenades?

It would be like some goo grenade that obstructed marine vision. It would be a 2nd hive upgrade for lerks. They would basically fly over you and drop these goo grenades, almost like a WW2 bomber plane. It would take a huge amount of energy though for a grenade.
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    Every time I read your name I have to youtube a certain band.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    the cod generation can't handle nades
  • godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    Add friendly fire, and bad grenade spam will no longer be a problem.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I like hand nades.
    Do agree no replenishment unless respawned.
  • EvisceratorEviscerator Join Date: 2003-02-24 Member: 13946Members, Constellation
    The issue I see is that 24+ player servers with lots of people dying means lots of people with nades. In the small, enclosed maps that make up NS2, even a few nades can make it unplayable spam. Just look at all the complaints regarding people GLing at their teammates feet.

LOL... if UWE plans on modifying all game mechanics based on 24+ player servers, I think I'll have to find a new game to play.