Oh man, arc. 4 minute win in round 4

Comments

• chikotochikoto Join Date: 2013-02-15 Member: 183078Members
    Huze wrote: »
    I'm also stumped as to why they didn't just use the in-game team names/scores.

I believe there is a bug that resets the scores to 0-0 when you enter 1st-person spectator then go back to overhead.
  • godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    Farknut wrote: »
    Gorginator wrote: »
    ...stuff

Pretty sure it was the fade he compared them with, but who cares. Dude shouldn't have even been casting. Don't know what they were thinking except maybe something to do with getting e-famous by association. Even if you consider just the commanders in NS2, it's nothing at all like SC2.

Look, all gorginator wanted to do is come in here and correct everyone on the Mutalisk/Fade connection. They're the same! GOT IT!?
  • HuzeHuze Insightful Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22724Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    chikoto wrote: »
    I'm also stumped as to why they didn't just use the in-game team names/scores.

I believe there is a bug that resets the scores to 0-0 when you enter 1st-person spectator then go back to overhead.
    There was a bug that the scores would disappear after entering first person spec that I just fixed for last patch. Everything seems to work fine; I'm still stumped.

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Daveodeth wrote: »
    Neoken wrote: »
    Daveodeth wrote: »
    surely that is a bad thing if a team can win a round on shooting only.

Shooting tends to be important in FPS type games. :D

When aim is king it makes the rest of the game a tad dull, there are some rts parts in there I'm sure. Even a 6 pool takes more time :D

You can't nullify the aim factor, even if the game is part RTS. The team that wins all the engagements is gonna win no matter what. The only thing here that could maybe be blamed to some extent is the fragility of early game skulks, and the inability to spawn more eggs without going shift hive first.
  • FrankerZFrankerZ Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151627Members
    draktok wrote: »
    I watch a decent amount of sc2 pro games but I didn't recognize the guy, on that same note I don't typically see sc2 pros in person since all i watch is the actual games (often on youtube)
    its part of the marketing of the game to draw comaprisons with sc2
  • FrankerZFrankerZ Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151627Members
    http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Kaelaris

Solo Cast an entire Bo69 between Snute and BabyKnight which lasted 13 hours and 18 minutes in one sitting, resulting in a 35-21 victory for Snute.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    There was a bug that the scores would disappear after entering first person spec that I just fixed for last patch. Everything seems to work fine; I'm still stumped.
    I noticed this too, which seemed weird to me. In general, it seems someone dropped the ball on the stream (e.g. not using the fixed insight, audio echo issues, blurry video).
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    I actually liked Kaelaris casting. No offense, but he understands the game better than both WasabiOne and RedDog, and his style is more enjoyable to listen to, especially for newer people tuning in for the first time. He was asked by Hugh what lifeform is comparable to the mutalisk's role in NS2 and he said fade which is by far the correct analogy.

I do wish Blind or even GohanZeta could have casted some though. They both understand the gameplay AND are part of the community and have knowledge of the commonly used strats/splits/etc for the teams.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    At the people saying white washes are bad for events like this. What, you would rather arc play badly on purpose or something? Or not be allowed to play? No, they are the best and should get to play their best, it's up to others to try and defeat them.

Let's not forget Godar lost to Nexzl on a coinflip. At the time of the qualifiers marines were winning like 95% of their matches in competitive. (And for some stupid reason Nexzl got both the map AND the marine pick in their last game) I'm absolutely convinced they would've done better than Nexzl vs ARC (They're on 2 - 2 vs ARC) and UWE wouldn't have had to fly in Americans.
    My biggest disappointment though, was NS2 not making it onto the Steam homepage, AGAIN! Valve seem to think Farming Simulators have a bigger audience?
    You have to pay to have your sale spotlighted obviously. I don't know why UWE doesn't though, they already tried having a sale without a spotlight before and it simply didn't work. These hidden sales don't do anything. Surely the money you win by having it spotlighted far outweigh the cost...
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    That's assuming more people actually buy the game... we did just come off of a free to play and 50% sale weekend not to long ago.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Honestly, I don't know why UWE are so hard up on trying to market the e-sport side of this game when there just isn't enough of a playerbase to justify it.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    This has been in place for an age now hasn't it? Though yes the obsession with making it an e-sport when the peak players is 1500 is nuts. Mind you I don't think I've ever seen a dev house push it like UWE does.
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    The thing is - it has more than 1500 active players. 6000 people tuned into the show, and I know there were countless others at work today during the show (It's a friday...) I mean, our playerbase isn't really as far off as everyone assumes. Sc2 makes us seem negligible as a game community and they pull average of 50k viewers - so 6k really isn't a small feat at all.

Especially since it wasn't aired during optimal times and hasn't established itself as a game for 4 years as sc2 has been, and didn't establish itself as an IP to the standard SC did (Most played, competitive, and balanced RTS of today, anyone?)
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    I just wish when there's a sale on the numbers would stay around 3000 :(
    Xarius wrote: »
    Let's not forget Godar lost to Nexzl on a coinflip.

Actually, wasn't it Saunamen that lost to Nexzl's coinflip?
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    i thought the show was great, but maybe a little bit too much down time. perhaps it should be a best of 15 :P

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This game is destined to be e-sports. I won't have it any other way. :)
    edited April 2013
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    This game is destined to be e-sports. I won't have it any other way. :)

Agreed. Sure, the finals weren't that enjoyable to watch, but at least UWE's holding them at all. UWE takes competitive seriously enough to hold their own events. Look at it this way...

Yesterday, the people learned that ARC is the best NS2 team on Earth. Thanks for holding them, I look forward to whenever the next one is.
    Hamlet wrote: »
    Really?

Saunamen vs. Godar on the other hand...
    Those were some interesting games! I learned something by watching them.

On the show:
    I wish they asked Dillon (WasabiOne) to do the commentating instead of this (famous?) StarCraft2 guy.
    That SC2Pro claims he played the game with his brother, but then goes on to compare the Mutalisk with the Fade? Seriously?
    How can you comment on a game where you don't even know the name of the units?
    It's like trying to comment on StarCraft without realizing the difference between a Zealot and a Zergling...

Hugh and him are engaging in a motor mouth competition; it feels less like game commenting but more like a contest on who can spout MOAR syllables faster...

Then there is this strange "social media expert"... what is her connection with NS2? Does she even care about the game? I mean: at all? Or is she just there to hold up the prizes? It's obvious that the studio audience consists of at least 97.5%+ males (I spotted a female bartender, but that's it). I guess that just lies in the nature of a Sci-Fi military FPS+RTS hybrid...
    Still, there are some female players out there. They are pretty rare, but they exist. Why not invite one of them to comment or moderate? Someone who genuinely CARES and LIKES this game. Heck, it's all taking place in Germany. Why not some Germans? They probably wouldn't be that photogenic, but authentic love for something easily makes up for sterile, uninvolved beauty.

Then this strange moderator. Instead of using the great opportunity to interview Charlie and get a hands-on with the brains behind NS, maybe delve into the creation of NS1&NS2, maybe asking him about his inspirations or films, art and games he had in mind when making the mod or the sequel and the foundation of his own "AAA indie" (?) company [first time I heard that], that moderator guy just lets Hugh clown away the awkward silence... [yes, talking about the Railgun re-enactment scene]
    I had to cover my eyes because it felt so forced and un-funny.

NS2 is not an EA published million dollar advertising game. It shouldn't be presented like one.
    Just show us some genuine interaction with the crowd. And true to punk/independent form, turn the microphone to the audience so they can sing with you.
    You will see that their love for this game is strong and hell will they sing if you let them...

Sure, it's nice to hand out some T-Shirts and copies of the game. But the REAL reward for a fan would be to play/talk with UWE, wouldn't it? Instead of forced slapstick, just ask the audience how they first picked up NS2, what they like about it and why this game feels so precious to them.

i disagree.

whenever sc2 events try to interview random members of the crowd it gets painfully awkward. most nerds are shy and/or haven't prepared themselves to talk on the show; esl probably would have been happy to accomodate anyone who showed true enthusiasm about 'filling the downtime'.

hugh was acting a bit hyper, but who says that is unacceptable behaviour compared to being static and emotionless (aka boring)? there was a LOT of 'downtime' to fill, and i think the show was pretty much saved by the witty and confident performances from charlie, hugh and the esl crew :P
    whiiii wrote: »
    Arc won 5-0. Didn't see that coming, LOL. Wasn't even remotely close, but then again nxzl did get there on a coinflip.
    godrifle wrote: »

Now this is a harsh thing to say and couldn't be more inaccurate. Sure the movement bug caused alot of issues, but it wasn't impossible to win alien rounds. I would like to clear this out what people are saying.

Nexzil didn't win by coinflip, they won by playing better than us, thus earning the spot to go to Germany. We're not bitter about it, its fairplay. IF we would've played better (especially as alien), we would've been the team playing in cologne.

-Stop blaming the coin.-

Be all nice, fuzzy, and honorable all you want. I'm still blaming the coin. I'm a spectator, I'm entitled to do this kind of thing!
    edited April 2013
    okay godrifle.

let's do a coinflip, if i win - you give me $1500 (if i lose, you get nothing).

farknut, you want a piece of this action too?
    edited April 2013
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    okay godrifle.

let's do a coinflip, if i win - you give me $1500 (if i lose, you get nothing).

farknut, you want a piece of this action too?

At the risk of sounding stupid, I'd like to say I have no idea what you're trying to say.
    I assume you mean that $1500 refers to the second place prize. I assume that since you can win $1500 in one scenario, that you are probably hypothetically Nxzl.

Am I suppose to be the opposing team? If so, then if you lose, then I would get second place and win the $1500

Am I suppose to be UWE? If you win, I give you $1500, but if you lose, I still pay $1500 to the opposing team. Which is good either way, since I'm the tournament organizer.

I'm sorry you were offended by my statement, but I'm not quite understanding your statement.
  • FarknutFarknut Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184065Members
    edited April 2013
    Nexzil didn't win by coinflip, they won by playing better than us marines in the last game.

Fixed. Everyone knows it was entirely coinflipped. They didn't play better at all. Had the flip gone the other way you would have definitely won. It was just exasperated a bit by both teams incredibly poor alien games.

• |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Glad to see I was wrong about Archae being light years ahead of everyone else.
  • FarknutFarknut Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184065Members
    edited April 2013
    GORGEous wrote: »
    I'm amazed at these losers who are disagreeing with an actual Saunamen player posting about on the semi final match. Because you guys know better than he does who should have won what.

I'm amazed anyone would think that if the coin flip had gone the other way then Saunamen wouldn't have won it. How would it have not turned out that way, especially considering they had the better marine game? He's probably just saying that because agreeing would expose that phase of the tournament for the joke it was and likely expose his team to retribution by the powers that be.

I challenge anyone who hasn't seen that game to watch it and come up with any other conclusion. It was an absolute marine rout.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Arc won 5-0. Didn't see that coming, LOL. Wasn't even remotely close, but then again nxzl did get there on a coinflip.
    godrifle wrote: »

Now this is a harsh thing to say and couldn't be more inaccurate. Sure the movement bug caused alot of issues, but it wasn't impossible to win alien rounds. I would like to clear this out what people are saying.

Nexzil didn't win by coinflip, they won by playing better than us, thus earning the spot to go to Germany. We're not bitter about it, its fairplay. IF we would've played better (especially as alien), we would've been the team playing in cologne.

-Stop blaming the coin.-

I'm amazed at these losers who are disagreeing with an actual Saunamen player posting about on the semi final match. Because you guys know better than he does who should have won what.

Bring forth his qualifications so that they may be scrutinised.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thread title should say: "Oh man, nxzl. 4 minute loss in round 4". Because they did the worst engagements in history.

Or are you guys going to say 1 alien going head-first into 3 marines is a good engagement? This happened Every. Single. Time. on that round. No wonder they lost so quickly.

Hi, non-self proclaimed loser here. I'm sorry I won't take the word of a competitive player as fact, I guess I'm just stubborn like that. But please try to look at it from my point of view:
    -Given that the last 6 matches of the best of 7 were marine wins, who would you bet on winning?
    -If the coin toss does not matter, then I assume you would not mind going aliens, even though marines were winning a signficant amount of the games that day.
    -If the coin toss DOES matter, then how significant is it? If I said the odds were say, 7-3 in favor of Marines, would you agree that the coin toss won them the game at that point? At what point do YOU consider the game won by coin toss? 9-1 odds? 10-0 odds?

You're right, I am not a competitive player, but I am asking Gorgeous and Whii, well, so explain it to us then.