NS2+ (The mod previously known as Custom HUD)

Comments

• amsams Join Date: 2014-03-27 Member: 194987Members
    Im not pushing the issue any further... but you can remove your gun model in just about every valve game. It is also acceptable to do so in competitive leagues. L4d/l4d2, tf2, quake, cs 1.6, css (the only reason you cant in csgo is because of gun skins). There is even a console command to do so... no need for mods or addons.

Im all for keeping the game clean. Skins can start to border on material hacks when taken too far. But removing your gun model has been around for a very long time and has, in almost every game, been intentionally added by the developers.

Its really not a huge deal to me whether or not it is removed. Just want to make sure that we have some valid reasons as to why we oppose the removal.
  • driestdriest Germany Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183251Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2014
    It gives you a rather large advantage over players that did not remove the viewmodel, which some people consider borderline cheating. Since this mod requires you to install it server side, we really can't use any talk about it being a "cheat" as this will probably reduce it's popularity.

The effect of removed viewmodels is a lot bigger than in other fps like cs and whatnot. The alien viewmodel blocks a very big part of your view and even more so during a bite. If you disabled it you would have a much easier time following marines in melee (which is probably the prime reason people want to remove it).

If you want to compare to other games think of the "noscope" hack in counter strike. It basically also just removed a view obscuring hud element, but it made the AWM much more effective in close combat situations and ruined balance, thus it was considered a cheat. I think it's the same with the skulk viewmodel. Not sure how big the impact on marine gunmodel would be, though.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    People were talking about guns, not aliens viewmodels (or they 'd be foolish to do so)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Mendasp wrote: »
    I chose to use the old collisions as to not cause stuck issues in this or other maps.

Aww... It's such a pain to walljump as a skulk when the rocks stick out a few feet further than they look. :(
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Alright, so I'm going through with the mod name change, from now on, this mod will be called NS2+ to better reflect the scope. I think I updated everything to reflect this change, although internally it's still all CHUD...

It also comes with these changes:

- Name change: To better reflect what the mod does, it is now called NS2+.
    - The stats after you die now show up in the UI instead of the console. End round stats still show up in console.
    - Reduced size of NS2 Beta upgrade icons to better reflect the old size.
    - Fixed inactive/unbuilt structures not blinking red when under attack.
    - Fixed alien structures not blinking red when uncysted.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    Mendasp wrote: »
    Alright, so I'm going through with the mod name change, from now on, this mod will be called NS2+ to better reflect the scope. I think I updated everything to reflect this change, although internally it's still all CHUD...

It also comes with these changes:

- Name change: To better reflect what the mod does, it is now called NS2+.
    - The stats after you die now show up in the UI instead of the console. End round stats still show up in console.
    - Reduced size of NS2 Beta upgrade icons to better reflect the old size.
    - Fixed inactive/unbuilt structures not blinking red when under attack.
    - Fixed alien structures not blinking red when uncysted.

Congrats for renaming your mod. I wish you alot of success with NS2+ :D
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Sadly Better NS2 is allready taken.

So how about NS2Plus (NS2+). Its short and easy to remember and kinda says what CHUD became. A improved version of ns2 :D

Just throwing my hat in, I also think "NS2+" is a great name for the mod.

• ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    inb4 people think the "+" is a typo when you try to describe what the mod is/does.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    So when are you adding alien buttholes?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Today was a perfect day for something like that, damn.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    So when are you adding alien buttholes?

Mendasp already moded that (client side) for himself. He just doesn't want to share it with the rest of us peasants.
    I updated, don't try to look for jokes, there are none, unless you consider this a joke:
    - Made the rifle color for commanders teal instead of blue to make it easier on the eyes.
    - Fixed bug where Egg count icon would overlap with the new Stats UI.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Teal? wtf is teal? Look, for guys there are about 9 colors, any more than that and you get into shades, and that is lady territory....
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    If you haven't fixed the lemon trees by removing the 100% observatory disguise, then you havent used april 1th correct.
  • CognitoCognito Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187295Members
    Great to see the hit beep is being looked at! I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person who remembered the superior hit indicator. I have a crazy bonus idea, replace damage numbers with some sort of "rising tone"* which would allow you to judge the amount of damage with experience whilst doing away with the visual clutter. You would probably need some kind of filter though to avoid a cacophony when using AE weapons (especially cluster grenades).

*This may be the wrong way to phrase this, I am musically incompetent.
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    Is your CHUD browser mod going to be updated to say NS2+? Or stay as CHUD?
    edited April 2014
    it says NS2+ Server Browser, doesn't it? It does for me! I updated both at the same time.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Super excited for this. =D
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    don't forget a slider for hitsound volume.
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Teal? wtf is teal?

Quick, we need a woman to translate! @Decoy‌ please help us!
    Gibs wrote: »
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Teal? wtf is teal?

Quick, we need a woman to translate! @Decoy‌ please help us!
    Insight called the color teal so if anyone is under suspicion it's Huze!
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    @Mendasp would it be possible to show on death, overall accuracy and life accuracy (Last-life) on the screen?
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    nezz wrote: »
    r_viewmodel 0.

not_goingtohappen

• SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Locklear wrote: »
    nezz wrote: »
    r_viewmodel 0.

not_goingtohappen

sv_hahahahahaha
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    If would be nice to have the damage done to you by your killer sometimes. Or killer + assists.

Though most of the time I know without anything telling me.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I have a idea, unless I missed it. And I would love to hear what the rest of the comp community thinks about it.
    When you mouseover a friendly structure (or better, player) from any distance, it shows the health/armour bar.
    or at least bigger range then currently ingame.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    That sounds awesome mendasp.