How can I tell which servers ban luminous alien skin mods?

2»

Comments

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited April 2013
    What I want to know is how some marine players are able to instantly spot a skulk peeking around a corner from a very far distance away in a seemingly dark area WITHOUT the glowing models... (ie: A server with extended consistency checking.)

Do they have some sort of monitor/gpu settings that can give greater contrast to colors on their screen? Or be able to turn the brightness up without it "washing out" the colors?
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    lwf wrote: »
    ChrisAUS wrote: »
    shonan wrote: »
    But yeah, these kinds of modifications are ridiculous and I consider them cheating
    I consider them cheating
    cheating

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/128686/crazy-bloom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gkeaJ-8zCzc#t=00m9s

To be fair he only said he considers it cheating, not that he didn't do it himself. :P

"Do as I say, not as I do" :P
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Res wrote: »
    What I want to know is how some marine players are able to instantly spot a skulk peeking around a corner from a very far distance away in a seemingly dark area WITHOUT the glowing models... (ie: A server with extended consistency checking.)

Do they have some sort of monitor/gpu settings that can give greater contrast to colors on their screen? Or be able to turn the brightness up without it "washing out" the colors?

The skulk has glowing red eyes. Plus, humans excel at reading movement, I can often spot eyes/legs darting out of view and cloak shimmers. Sorry guys, but the cloak shimmer does NOTHING to stop me from seeing a creeper in plain sight. It's not like in the Hidden: Source mod where the Hidden runs and jumps at insane speeds, in NS2 you are reduced to a crawl.

A good monitor doesn't hurt as well. Get yours properly calibrated!

The only time I have trouble spotting a skulk is if he's on the ceiling or in some dark hellhole and not moving a muscle. I can't tell you how many times I did a double take on those pipes in Conduit and died because I failed to notice the glowing eyes the first time around.
    edited April 2013
    Squishpoke wrote: »

The skulk has glowing red eyes. Plus, humans excel at reading movement, I can often spot eyes/legs darting out of view and cloak shimmers. Sorry guys, but the cloak shimmer does NOTHING to stop me from seeing a creeper in plain sight. It's not like in the Hidden: Source mod where the Hidden runs and jumps at insane speeds, in NS2 you are reduced to a crawl.

The only time I have trouble spotting a skulk is if he's on the ceiling or in some dark hellhole and not moving a muscle. I can't tell you how many times I did a double take on those pipes in Conduit and died because I failed to notice the glowing eyes the first time around.

You certainly have better eyes than me... or a better monitor/calibrated monitor, because I can't tell at all that skulks eyes glow on my computer or let alone see glowing skulk eye movement from far away.

You certainly have better eyes than me... or a better monitor/calibrated monitor, because I can't tell at all that skulks eyes glow on my computer or even see something from far away that might only be a pixel width in length for a split second.

What resolution and what monitor do you have?

I hope you aren't using an HDTV with a stretched aspect ratio. I've seen some of my friends with those, it keeps me up at night. :(
    edited April 2013
    What resolution and what monitor do you have?

I hope you aren't using an HDTV with a stretched aspect ratio. I've seen some of my friends with those, it keeps me up at night. :(

This is my monitor

19" , 16:10 aspect ratio at 1440x900 native resolution.

only a 500:1 contrast ratio... it's from like 2006-2007

Yeah, if you can't get good contrast/gamma to make the game appear completely clear (without washout), might want to save up for a new model. Trust me, it'll be easier on your eyes!

Monitors nowadays get several million-to-one contrast ratio. Also, don't get the ones with a glossy screen, those are from the devil and are designed to burn your eyes out.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    I'm running the fix that tempest posted to keep some of the neon models off my server.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    @shonan , I lol'd at the power node