Crazy bloom

shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Maybe the bloom should be toned down a little? I like the glow it gives to cysts but this just makes the game unplayable with it on :P

Comments

• DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Maybe the rifle skin mod is doing it.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You've got glowing material all over your rifle.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    it's your rifle skin mod....
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I tested it by going and standing in that exact spot on Mineshaft and it doesn't have that much bloom when using the default rifle skin. Then, I downloaded and tested that skin and, sure enough, crazy bloom appears when standing in that spot. It's caused by the completely white areas of that rifle skin.

I don't agree with toning down the bloom. I think you should select a more sensible rifle skin.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    -WildCat- wrote: »
    I tested it by going and standing in that exact spot on Mineshaft and it doesn't have that much bloom when using the default rifle skin. Then, I downloaded and tested that skin and, sure enough, crazy bloom appears when standing in that spot. It's caused by the completely white areas of that rifle skin.

I don't agree with toning down the bloom. I think you should select a more sensible rifle skin.
    Is that realistic? Does white surfaces blind your eye in real life? Nope.

It isnt realistic, its just stupid and forces you to turn bloom off. Also all other white surfaces have the same problem, its not a feature, its a bug with how its implemented.
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    shonan wrote: »
    Actually, if you go outside in the middle of a sunny day, you'll probably find that white-painted surfaces in direct sunlight can be pretty hard to look at and the glare reduces your ability to see into nearby darker areas such as doorways.

It isnt realistic, its just stupid and forces you to turn bloom off.
    I have never felt as if I was forced to turn bloom off. I haven't encountered any instances when the bloom effect irritated me.

Also all other white surfaces have the same problem, its not a feature, its a bug with how its implemented.
    There aren't any other completely white surfaces in the game except for light sources such as fluorescent tubes and they look good with a strong bloom effect. The bloom intensity is configured to work nicely with the default art assets.

Also, it is not a bug. The Spark engine's rendering system uses High Dynamic Range lighting and the amount of bloom that you see in your example video is accurate, given the light intensity that is being reflected off of that custom rifle of yours.

Remember in your OP where you said that you liked the glow on cysts? Well, if they toned down the bloom intensity so that it looked nice for your custom rifle skin, it would probably have the side effect of reducing the bloom coming from cysts to almost invisible.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Did you just create a thread blaming bloom for your terribly ugly mods being terribly ugly?
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    -WildCat- wrote: »
    Actually, if you go outside in the middle of a sunny day, you'll probably find that white-painted surfaces in direct sunlight can be pretty hard to look at and the glare reduces your ability to see into nearby darker areas such as doorways.

It isnt realistic, its just stupid and forces you to turn bloom off.
    I have never felt as if I was forced to turn bloom off. I haven't encountered any instances when the bloom effect irritated me.

Also all other white surfaces have the same problem, its not a feature, its a bug with how its implemented.
    There aren't any other completely white surfaces in the game except for light sources such as fluorescent tubes and they look good with a strong bloom effect. The bloom intensity is configured to work nicely with the default art assets.

Also, it is not a bug. The Spark engine's rendering system uses High Dynamic Range lighting and the amount of bloom that you see in your example video is accurate, given the light intensity that is being reflected off of that custom rifle of yours.

Remember in your OP where you said that you liked the glow on cysts? Well, if they toned down the bloom intensity so that it looked nice for your custom rifle skin, it would probably have the side effect of reducing the bloom coming from cysts to almost invisible.

That rifle is shining like a 2000W gas discharge lamp, that isnt realistic at all. I have also noticed the same phenomena with other white surfaces, that isnt realistic at all.

Why other games' bloom and HDR implementation dont do this?
  • fourgorgestwoskulksfourgorgestwoskulks Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183568Members
    I like the bright pink and yellow lerk.
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    Many things about that video are absurd. UWE's work isn't one of them.
  • briatxbriatx Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180352Members
    Doctor, it hurts when I put shiny reflective materials all over my bright red assault rifle...

If you must have a bright red assault rifle, you can always turn bloom off.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    Maybe the bloom should be toned down a little? I like the glow it gives to cysts but this just makes the game unplayable with it on :P

This is not an issue with the game bloom setting, but an issue with that particular skin mod.

Locking this one...
This discussion has been closed.