How can I tell which servers ban luminous alien skin mods?

peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
I'd prefer not play on servers which allow those bright pink, luminous alien skin mods.

Any way to filter the server browser to achieve that, or is there some other way?

Steam Workshop is really slow and buggy right now, but if you can get it to load the NS2 section you'll see the mods I'm talking about, if you're not familiar already.

Comments

• OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited March 2013
    These are considered borderline cheats, and simply cheating by many. There is no way to filter it in the browser, but no one will know you are using them in regular servers....so just exploit in comfort knowing you are safe.

This is why I wish there was an offical whitelist for mods....
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    As far as I know there's no way to see that from the server browser.

So do it the hard way. Enable a skin mod yourself. If you don't like bright pink, pick something that appeals to you (I personally really like the Dread Guard aliens and the 5th Recon marines). Then take note of which servers do and don't load your skin mod, and then in the future pick the ones that do what you want.

This is what I do, although I have the opposite problem - I don't like playing on servers that don't allow skin mods, because I think they look cool.
  • SidderSidder Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176034Members
    Dont think there is a way to see it just from browser but If you join servers and you use something like; Gorge heal mod it will be disabled as well and it tells then if yer console while you are connecting

And it doesnt take a mod to block it, just consistency cfg editing by hosts AFAIK
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Hbz run advanced consistency checks, and they're decent servers. Also try ensl gathers on www.ensl.org :)
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    here is a tip, don't hide in dark spots. hide in full covered spot and you won't get spotted.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    KKG also runs extended consistency checks.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    No need to go on Steam Workshop, you probably mean what you can see as my avatar :P

But yeah, these kinds of modifications are ridiculous and I consider them cheating, but I guess its just a non-fixable side effect of making a game as moddable as possible, unless there would be some sort of anti-cheat that would block these, but that requires manpower and resources.
  • YummyProduceYummyProduce Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182661Members
    Its ok NS2 requires no anti-cheat because there are no cheats and even if there were, nobody would use them. Further, given how badly nerfed aliens are already, why would you need these skins? Seems redundant - UWE has already given you an offical easy mode. Its called marines.

Just ask any of the 80 people still playing this game post-free weekend.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    So do it the hard way. Enable a skin mod yourself. If you don't like bright pink, pick something that appeals to you (I personally really like the Dread Guard aliens and the 5th Recon marines). Then take note of which servers do and don't load your skin mod, and then in the future pick the ones that do what you want.
    This.

Then favorite the servers in which you fail the consistency check when running the skulk skin mod. Those are the ones where consistency checking is working properly.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Its ok NS2 requires no anti-cheat because there are no cheats and even if there were, nobody would use them. Further, given how badly nerfed aliens are already, why would you need these skins? Seems redundant - UWE has already given you an offical easy mode. Its called marines.

There are very crude hacks for NS2.

Also playing Marines is basically a point and click adventure.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    If you're out in the open, you're out in the open. If you're hiding the skin won't make a difference, sure it makes the skulk really bright, but that won't help you track it either. I don't care if someone is using it

Also, even if a server does black list it, the player can still use it if they really wanted to
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold

How comes we still see competitive matches where aliens win? I play on public servers, and aliens are able to win consistently - actually, the skill fluctuations make it impossible to make statements about balance from playing on public servers.

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    ezekel wrote: »
    Also, even if a server does black list it, the player can still use it if they really wanted to
    If the consistency checking is working, they shouldn't be able to use them.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members

There are aimbots.
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    shonan wrote: »
    But yeah, these kinds of modifications are ridiculous and I consider them cheating
    I consider them cheating
    cheating

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/128686/crazy-bloom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gkeaJ-8zCzc#t=00m9s
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I outlined a simple change that server ops can do to block these mods here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2102414/#Comment_2102414
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    This helps OP how...
    ChrisAUS wrote: »
    But yeah, these kinds of modifications are ridiculous and I consider them cheating
    I consider them cheating
    cheating

Could you elaborate? The bloom effect is in many cases absurdly overdone, I dont understand how that is related to this.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    OutlawDr wrote: »
    These are considered borderline cheats[...]

Borderline? Really? rolleyes.gif
    Could you elaborate?

Yeah...

28v6moh.jpg
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh, that's a My Little Pony mod. Sadly the bright colors fails the TSF Ethics Test under the "Appropriate Usage of Xenocide Per-Species" section.
    Could you elaborate?

Yeah...

28v6moh.jpg

Yes, as Squishpoke said that is the My Little Pony lerk from Workshop, I fancy the pony aliens. True, they make it easier to see aliens, but heck, I dont care, go to workshop yourself and select those MLP aliens, the burden from having a moddable game.

I also have pink Hello Kitty marines, they make the marines easier to see as well, but I like them. Actually I even have mines that are easier to see, because I like that skin. Look at my weapon in that video etc.

Exchange the white areas in your skulk avatar with the yellow from the screenshot I took.

I don't see how you can call those skins from your avatar cheating while using the skin mod displayed in your youtube video. Hell, I may as well install the fluro skin mods because 'True, they make it easier to see aliens, but heck, I dont care...I like them!'

Most of the mods out there are awesome, it's crazy to see what people can come up with. It's just a bit disappointing that Servers have to block those kind of cool mods to prevent people like you from abusing the game.

Exchange the white areas in your skulk avatar with the yellow from the screenshot I took.

I don't see how you can call those skins from your avatar cheating while using the skin mod displayed in your youtube video. Hell, I may as well install the fluro skin mods because 'True, they make it easier to see aliens, but heck, I dont care...I like them!'

Most of the mods out there are awesome, it's crazy to see what people can come up with. It's just a bit disappointing that Servers have to block those kind of cool mods to prevent people like you from abusing the game.

Well, geez, I'm terribly sorry rolleyes.gif

Still, I will keep using my My Little Pony aliens, my Hello Kitty marines etc.

The game has workshop, so better deal with it, its full of this kind of stuff and people use them, the devs promote the game being moddable and the workshop, so its just something we have to live with. The other option banning pretty much everything on the workshop, and I dont think thats going to happen.

BTW, I play on servers that have blocked my skins in their consistency checks, I dont care as I am not using these as cheats, I am using them to make the game more fun for me.
    Warning: This post contains high amounts of sarcasm and bad humour, if your sarcasm detector isnt working you should skip it.

Now for some of these "cheats" I use:

This is my how to spot a mine and a welder easier skin:

iGfp5tVVAyqeW.jpg

Here is my how to spot a power node easier skin:

ibkuEbMMaAZWf2.jpg

And this here is my how to spot a pimp easier skin:

ibo9gVlFLsepLj.jpg

And here my how to spot a jetpack easier skin:

iuJTfBC3tnKU5.jpg

Here, my how to spot different classes easier skin:

ivGSZZXSmoSZt.jpg

And here, my how to spot a gorge that has has a liver failure skin:

ibdGZalGTclKAM.jpg

And finally, my how to spot a biker Onos skin:

A7EF0577060390FF3F81072D69CB267253E5F43D
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Wtf is a landbound dragon the lerk, while both winged ponies are landboud aliens?
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    I consider them cheating
    cheating

To be fair he only said he considers it cheating, not that he didn't do it himself. :P
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited April 2013
    @shonan

Good to know that someone is making use of lua's modability and all those skins out there.
  • YummyProduceYummyProduce Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182661Members
    edited April 2013

My post was intended to be drippingly sarcastic. This being the internet, that can be hard to pull off! Specifically, a subtle jab at the awful state of game balance post-patch, the dramatic player bleed, and the official policy of "see no evil" re cheating.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    ezekel wrote: »
    If you're out in the open, you're out in the open. If you're hiding the skin won't make a difference, sure it makes the skulk really bright, but that won't help you track it either. I don't care if someone is using it

Hiding in plain site with properly color matched backgrounds is actually very effective - UNLESS the dickhead marine has me highlighted in bright pink.