Gorgeous speculation

Comments

• derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    give us those features and the ton of bugs they will bring with em, so you can start on working on the performance please!!
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Soccerguy, the gorge tunnels aren't alien exclusive. If the aliens are using a tunnel to get from their hive to the front lines, then marines can use it to go from the front lines to the alien hive. It's gonna be a double edged sword for sure.

But both sides can collapse the tunnel as they desire, I assume. And everything inside the tunnel at that time will be gone. They will probably be more like a huge death trap in many cases. Onos will be damn afraid to go through if the entries are contested.

I wonder how easy it'll be to troll with Gorge Tunnels.

"Quick Onii, come over here, I've put the other end of this tunnel in the marine base!"
    *destroys tunnel*
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    You might be happy to know that a new in-play tutorial system is coming in the Gorgeous update :)

- Hugh, UWE
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    So skeptical of gorge tunnels, it's like the simple concept of hive teleport from NS1 grew bells and whistles. Aliens, marines, exo suits, onos all effectively leaving the map to fight in a static tunnel that never changes despite location and entrance distance. One isn't more realistic than the other, sounds really dumb. To be blunt.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    would be interesting if alien comm can build shifts/crags/shades/whips in the tunnel so tunnels are more alien favored inside
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    TBH, I don't like the thought of gorge tunnels being able to be used by either side or be collapsed. Seems like a terrible, TERRIBLE version of the PG...
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Your all jealous of UWEs sexy spacebutts, you should be ashamed
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    TBH, I don't like the thought of gorge tunnels being able to be used by either side or be collapsed. Seems like a terrible, TERRIBLE version of the PG...

If any gorge player can drop it wherever they please, it seems like a terribly, TERRIBLY asymmetric version of the PG...
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Was kinda hoping for Marine weapons that aren't really Exo-exclusive, just to spice the early/midgame at least.

Even if it wasn't a Marine weapon, I'd be more interested with a new Marine movement ability, like side-stepping with a long enough cool-down to warrant it unspammable. ANYTHING.

As for Gorge tunnels, I hope it isn't instant death if the tunnel collapses.

I envision it as a moment where once an end of a tunnel is destroyed, players would have to race to the unbroken exit before the tunnel starts to gradually dissolve away behind them.

Sounds like something lower-life forms would use if the risk is instant death.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If its instant death Id never take it as lerk or higher
    Somehow I don't think its intended to be some sort of into-your-base nydus worm attack. Not without substantial risk involved anyway.

The way I see it, its more for rapid movement between locations that are physically not to distant from one another. Essentially acting as a player created vent. So you could for example go directly from the right side of atrium to the bottom of the ramp in cross roads.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    wait a minute? a hydra inside a gorge tunnel does this indicate mariens can use them to?
    wait a minute? a hydra inside a gorge tunnel does this indicate mariens can use them to?

Yeeeeeeeep
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013

Yes, marines and exos can use them also.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Jekt wrote: »

Yes, marines and exos can use them also.
    I hope they can be placed anywhere and that includes on the roof...I will disappointed if these dont stop marines getting in prior to JP's. That will atleast allow aliens to limit marine access (fighting marines in a long tunnel....hmm sounds a lot like shooting fish in a barrel....but we shall see) after all marines have PG's of their own.

I am not a fan of the marines being able to get into them...I think this will mean they are rarely used (funny that aliens cant use marine PG's....).
    I still prefer the old hive teleport as it was defensive in nature.
    They also helped you get around being stuck in sub when pipelines under attack....these tunnels wont address this issue. Few alien lifeforms can get back to a hive when its under attack (by any decent numbers), yet marines can beacon almost instantly from anywhere.

• MindstormMindstorm Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175356Members
    I had a thread about this some while ago. Pic of dual railgun exo (only single will be in update).
    1Vioy

And my server is current running my railgun mod where you can test out single and dual exo.
    Mod:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=124290991&searchtext=

Server
    http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/129711/84.29.125.70:27015
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hadn't noticed the bit about babblers being placed on aliens as a shield. That's real weird, I wonder if it's literally just a babbler sitting on an alien to block bullets or if it really adds to their health(i.e. the babbler takes damage first regardless of where the marines shoot).

Babblers were never a bad idea in NS 1.0 btw, they were just horribly implemented. Their AI was completely non-functional, which is why they had to be removed.

Jekt wrote: »
    So skeptical of gorge tunnels, it's like the simple concept of hive teleport from NS1 grew bells and whistles. Aliens, marines, exo suits, onos all effectively leaving the map to fight in a static tunnel that never changes despite location and entrance distance. One isn't more realistic than the other, sounds really dumb. To be blunt.

What's wrong with bells and whistles? Hive teleport was kind of dumb and very static, tunnels are awesome and dynamic. Gorges needed more to do. Everybody's happy. The technicalities of its implementation aren't important as long as the effect is done well, though it would be nice if there were a few different tunnel lengths based on distance.
  • RippsyRippsy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179921Members
    dragonmith wrote: »
    Sampson wrote: »
    WillzZz wrote: »
    Performance improvements is all I'm hoping for. Dropping below 30fps is kind of a drag.

i still dunno why ppl cant run the game at this point... turn off the special stuff... hell, i have a 2.4 ghz dual processor... i OCed it to 3.0 ghz.... my computer is a cpl yrs old... i get from 65-40 fps...

I have a comp that can run Dayz, TF2 Company of Heroes, FTL, CIV 5 and chess titans (not at the same time). I turn down every setting to min and the resolution to its lowest, and I get 60fps if I am lucky.

ALSO, update has new concept art for loading screens :)

and all those games are OLD engines or far less intensive games, it's not like you will not ice a frame rate drop in CIV5 fgs. Try running a new game on a new engine for a more realistic comparison, like Cry3 for example.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    Zomb3h wrote: »
    As for Gorge tunnels, I hope it isn't instant death if the tunnel collapses.

I envision it as a moment where once an end of a tunnel is destroyed, players would have to race to the unbroken exit before the tunnel starts to gradually dissolve away behind them.
    That would be hectic. :)
    Zek wrote: »
    The technicalities of its implementation aren't important as long as the effect is done well, though it would be nice if there were a few different tunnel lengths based on distance.
    Agreed. I don't know how it works yet, but just having one tunnel regardless of distance seems a bit unnecessarily cheap. It couldn't be that difficult to make tunnels of varying length.

Say that there are three different tunnel lengths. When the Gorge is about to place the second tunnel entrance, a part of it is either colored in green (short), orange (medium) or red (long).
  • kingkrabbe.#bofkingkrabbe.#bof Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162892Members
    I didn't read everything here but this sounds amazing:
    The other main new feature for the Gorge is the Babblers ability. Babblers are these little minions that the Gorge can summon and were a feature in the original Natural Selection that have been revived for the DLC. After Babblers are spawned by the Gorge, players can order them around similarly to the Antlions from Half-Life 2. You can have up to nine of the little guys around at a time, and they can either attack players and structures, or you can place them on other aliens as an extra layer of shielding. Sadistic!
    (Destructoid article)

HL2 was a decent game ONLY because of the Antlions imo and I'm looking forward to command somewhat similar babblers into battle. The extra layer of shielding part also sounds kind of amazing.

That said, I hope they're not as bugged as Drifters/MACs. =((
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, Babblers sound sweet.

I can see all players stacking up on gorges after the new update and still winning the game.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    "I have no idea how the new mechanics will work, but I hate them!"

*facepalm*
  • ManwichManwich Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182715Members
    The tunnels may work in such a way that they can only link between areas near hives or maybe even shifts. This could alleviate some of your concerns about aliens not needing more mobility.
    Hmmmm.

I really hope the tunnel positions aren't static, but considering the amount of variation that is possible, and exploitable, I don't see how they can't be.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can we have any comment on weld able vents and doors. Been waiting ages for those as well.
  • inflictinflict Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183218Members
    i reckon the spaceship in decent should be or is the comm chair.

pause at 25 secs

• Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow

|strofix| wrote: »

If any gorge player can drop it wherever they please, it seems like a terribly, TERRIBLY asymmetric version of the PG...

But they can't. The article said it requires infestation to be dropped. So it's kinda the opposite of the PG in that regard that it needs infestation as opposed to not. The only downside for placement that PGs have is that they need power. However, only marines can use them and they can't be killed while in them. Not true for the tunnels based on that article and that just sounds like a whole lot of downside.

If that's true, then I honestly don't see them being used much except maybe in the early game. The risk to expensive lifeforms and tech is too great to warrant (usually) the risk of instantly losing it all. That and having to wait for all the killed players to respawn while your base is under attack or you're trying to attack a base would essentially end any chance of saving or taking that base.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited February 2013
    i still think aliens don't need a mobility boost.

I still think bile bomb range should be reduced and/or the splash radius reduced. Right now its high reward low risk; especially with any sort of assistance from any other lifeform.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Zek wrote: »
    What's wrong with bells and whistles? Hive teleport was kind of dumb and very static, tunnels are awesome and dynamic. Gorges needed more to do. Everybody's happy. The technicalities of its implementation aren't important as long as the effect is done well, though it would be nice if there were a few different tunnel lengths based on distance.

I agree. Need more cowbell. Too much skepticism around here.
  • WoollySammothWoollySammoth Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183062Members
    I hope its possible to move the entrances/exits of the gorge tunnel dynamically, and whilst people are inside. I'd happily fight fruitless battles against marines in a long tunnel 20 times if then 1 time i got to trap a bunch of marines in a tunnel who's exits both spewed in to lava falls. It'd be laugh.