About 24 player servers

NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
I'm seeing more and more 24 player servers pop up. Can someone please explain to me why server admins choose to run these servers instead of the more standard 16 or 18 player limit? Not trying to step on anyones toes, but I just don't understand why these servers are so popular when it's so clear performance suffers for it. Not to mention gameplay.

Comments

• poloqpoloq Join Date: 2005-07-28 Member: 56990Members
    Rippsy, your calculations are not quite accurate, but you put up all the relevant points why. There is an escalation of force lost when there are fewer players and 1 is bad. So on a 12 player server 1 person has more responsibility and if that person dies the team suffers more than if that person died when there are more players.

I find 12 vs 12 to be really fun even though late game sometimes becomes unplayable, except as bile gorge or GL marine.
  • RippsyRippsy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179921Members
    @poloq we are in agreement but using different semantics :)
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    The devs could set a hardcoded player limit. You'll need to run a modded server to go above it.

The whole joining and filling servers should be improved in many ways. A warm-up mini-game on empty/almost empty servers for instance (Combat mode could be used for that in NS1, but it required a map change back to Classic during which most Combat-only players left). Except filling up a server, there's no point in playing a terrible match with few players...
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    It is a well known fact that more players = more fun.
    Desther wrote: »

* For certain values of fun.

Casual players generally don't like dying, more hardcore players like the rush from nearly dying and making a huge play :)

Most people don't/would not find Dwarf Fortress fun - that does not make it not fun, it merely requires a different mindset to enjoy
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    I think its a combination of the fact of people finding 12v12 more epic, feels like there is pitched battle going on all the time on multiple fronts.

Its way more fun to be a gorge in a giant server as you can actually set up somewhere and have people come at you, whereas in a small server you may end up just sitting there.

Certain big servers have gained reputations for being servers for better pub players, thus if you want to play with other good players you either go there or you roll the dice on a random server, and often end up with fairly inexperienced players.

I definitely agree about the 12v12 lategame issue tho, for me my fps starts dropping pretty hard once there are a million cysts and shit.
    Totally agree about your epic battle points and gorge feeling like you are providing a service blocking a route. I'm usually happiest around 10v10 myself :)
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2013
    OP I know your feel. In AUS, the most popular server is a 22 slot server called "I live for the chomp" and I really don't understand how it fills up every day when it averages 40% performance once it reaches 20 players. In game ~10 tick rate.
    I'd rather not play than play on such a server.
    Is there anyway as a client to check the tickrate of a server?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    net_stat (or stats) in console will tell you.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    I find it annoying that in Aus I can often either play on a 20+ slot server, or not play at all.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Neoken:

Larger servers lessens the chance of one team getting completely stomped as an exceptional player joining a side will have less of an impact on team balance

Large servers also change the way the game is played. . .

Multiple Front Lines:
    Aliens can typically punish marines for using a distress beacon as they might fold 2/3 of their front lines to save the 3rd
    Having multiple front lines usually means less running back to save nodes which can detract from the experience if there is too much of it

Much less emphasis on endgame Units:
    Onos aren't nearly as oppressive in large games so marines won't auto-lose if more than 1 hits the floor
    ARCs require much more coordination as aliens can get away with just suiciding to destroy large packs of them

More emphasis on upgrades:
    Weapons and evolutions always take priority over turret farms or mini bases
    Your team will spend much more time fighting the other team and not a huge stack of crags

Bigger breaks; more upsets / combacks, or faster steamrolls
    Games that are lopsided tend to end very quickly letting players move on to the next game that much faster
    In long games where one side has been slowly losing the whole time might get that big push they need making it all worth while

These are all huge benefits in my eyes so I naturally prefer the larger servers where 1 early mistake won't ruin the next 20 minutes

It all comes down to squeezing more fun out of the game by lessening the things that detract from having an otherwise good time
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Neoken wrote: »
    I just don't understand why these servers are so popular when it's so clear performance suffers for it. Not to mention gameplay.

Because not everyone agrees with you?

Because different people like different things?

"It's good we all like different things, because otherwise there wouldn't be enough haggis."
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2013
    Rippsy wrote: »
    The higher the number of players, the less individual skill can effect the outcome of the game, which then pulls the game play more towards 'big plays' and tactics.

in a 12 player server, 5 players on the field, 1 bad player effectively 20% of your force is lost.
    in a 24 player server, 11 players on the field, 1 bad player effectively 9.09%r of your force is lost.

It also provides several game mechanic bonus' to the marine team. These are:
    Early game aliens suffer a self-egg lock penalty if they die to much, giving marines early game breathing space (hence the shift hive being the primary strategy)
    Marines in larger numbers (3+) groups generally win equal number fights due to ranged attacks
    Marines get enough players that they feel safe enough to be aggressive and this is a significantly more fun playing experience for both teams as both sides will be aggressive and doing missions into each others territory which requires defence/reactions.

So even with the performance hit on the server, you get a better casual game experience; if you screw up, you don't cost your team so badly. If you are a god incarnate and never miss, you cannot decimate the enemy team as hard because they will simply zerg you.

It reduces the chance of games being sub 5 minutes due to rushes because with enough players, people split up amongst all exits from your base and provide early warning system/delay to prevent the base rushes.

TL;DR It's more fun for casual players

I can understand that. I guess I just think of it differently. I like my actions to have more of an impact. If I'm doing exceptionally well, I'd like to see results to go with it. Playing on larger servers often feels like pissing in the wind to me, in contrary to say a 6vs6. Having to rely on larger number of team mates can be as equally frustrating as doing badly myself. For me at least.

Desther wrote: »

So we should actually try to get some 64 player servers up then? Maybe even 128 players? Would that equal more fun?
    Neoken:

Larger servers lessens the chance of one team getting completely stomped as an exceptional player joining a side will have less of an impact on team balance

Large servers also change the way the game is played. . .

Multiple Front Lines:
    Aliens can typically punish marines for using a distress beacon as they might fold 2/3 of their front lines to save the 3rd
    Having multiple front lines usually means less running back to save nodes which can detract from the experience if there is too much of it

Much less emphasis on endgame Units:
    Onos aren't nearly as oppressive in large games so marines won't auto-lose if more than 1 hits the floor
    ARCs require much more coordination as aliens can get away with just suiciding to destroy large packs of them

More emphasis on upgrades:
    Weapons and evolutions always take priority over turret farms or mini bases
    Your team will spend much more time fighting the other team and not a huge stack of crags

Bigger breaks; more upsets / combacks, or faster steamrolls
    Games that are lopsided tend to end very quickly letting players move on to the next game that much faster
    In long games where one side has been slowly losing the whole time might get that big push they need making it all worth while

These are all huge benefits in my eyes so I naturally prefer the larger servers where 1 early mistake won't ruin the next 20 minutes

It all comes down to squeezing more fun out of the game by lessening the things that detract from having an otherwise good time

Fair enough. But you don't feel that the maps are too cramped with that many players around, or the gameplay too stale?
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    I just don't understand why these servers are so popular when it's so clear performance suffers for it. Not to mention gameplay.

Because not everyone agrees with you?

Because different people like different things?

"It's good we all like different things, because otherwise there wouldn't be enough haggis."

Yes, different people like different things, and not everyone agrees with me. Thank you for stating the obvious. I was just wondering why. Hence the questions.

Personally I like a good chaotic fragfest now and again. I can see the appeal of larger servers. I'm just baffled and slightly worried these oversized servers are becoming the new standard for pub play. Especially considering the fact you really sacrifice a lot of performance by upping the player limit like that, and performance is already a big problem to begin with.
  • KruemelmonsterKruemelmonster Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146844Members
    I'm starting to lean more towards 24 player servers for a few of the reasons mentioned above. Another reason is that rounds get played and won usually in good time and the next round starts soon after. Whenever I join a 16 person server you notice people coming and going affecting the game more which can lead to longer games; also when a round is finished a few people leave and it usually takes 5-10 mins to get the next round going with a decent sized team. So basically joining a 24 player server means I'll be playing NS2 and not waiting/looking for another game.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Cluster %$@#s always look cool from the outside
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm seeing more and more 24 player servers pop up. Can someone please explain to me why server admins choose to run these servers instead of the more standard 16 or 18 player limit? Not trying to step on anyones toes, but I just don't understand why these servers are so popular when it's so clear performance suffers for it. Not to mention gameplay.

Because people like me enjoy and populate these servers.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    Most of the good points have been brought up, and strofix spouting crap, as usual.

Performance on one of the better hardware 24 players: http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/52073/199.192.205.183:27015

Not perfect, but not that bad at all. Most severe tickrate drops are usually tied to hitting the entity cap, which does tend to happen sometimes and is easier to do on the bigger servers, but not all that commonplace as people would think.
    Mavick wrote: »
    strofix spouting crap, as usual.

>strofix agreed to this post

Oh man I lol'd.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members

If you are talking about performance hit server-side then that is not a problem on my server box... CPU is not even 3/4 pegged with 24 player load.

If you are talking about performance hit client-side then you simply need to get a PC that can handle the commotion 24 players puts out.

• GrueneMedizinGrueneMedizin Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 175008Members
    It's simply more fun since there is much more going on, lots of different angles to win a match and its much harder to keep map control or lose a base due to 5 skulks rushing. I didn't experience any huge performance impact, just sometimes the servers drop to 80% performance and its usually not noticeable at all.
    ^That's the problem, the cpu won't say 100% because it's only using 1-2 cores on the game (not sure if server only uses 1).
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I don't mind people having their 24p games, though it's not for me. I would mind if it meant there weren't any 12-18p servers around, though, and it sounds like that might be the case in Aus. That would suck badly :(
    We have a fair few 16/18 slot servers, the 24 slot ones just get filled first.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Although it has been mentioned already by a couple of posters, I'll reiterate since it's an important point. As @Rippsy noted, larger servers mean that each player's impact isn't as significant. When you are playing a game were one small mistake can cost you the game, the larger server offers more FORGIVENESS. That's something that is woefully lacking in NS2. Some people just want to play for fun and they don't want the pressure of feeling like everything they do is under the microscope.

Secondly, more marines means more players to respond to attacks. Since aliens are faster, this means marines are able to compensate for their slower speed with improved numbers.

Lastly, for many people it *IS* more fun to play on larger servers. It may be hard to believe, but not everyone is a fan of 6vs6 gameplay.

To those who think the game should be hardcoded to prevent larger games, I strongly disagree. Why? Simple.

Give the people what they want.

If a large chunk of the player base likes larger games, give it to them. This is a business, and you don't succeed in business by flipping off your customers. That's exactly what it would be if server restrictions were put in.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    24 slots are a horror, and generally painful to play on.
    Strategy is mostly out the window, and all is reduced to shoot & die within 2 minutes of spawn.
  • GrueneMedizinGrueneMedizin Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 175008Members
    24 slots are a horror, and generally painful to play on.
    Strategy is mostly out the window, and all is reduced to shoot & die within 2 minutes of spawn.

I also had this on 16 players servers. Does this mean they are also all terrible? I've had some great games on 24 players servers where both teams had to relocate their base several times and the game went on for more than 70-80 minutes. It was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had and surely it wouldn't have been as much fun on a 16 players server. Sure, these servers attract more rookies and new players who want as much action as possible without any regard to strategy or tactics, but that doesn't mean it happens all the time.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited February 2013
    I play exclusively on Mavick's 24p pub server.... smaller servers are far too desolate on the actual maps. I'm used to LOTS of action going on in a map and with less players the game is just not as fun. Also like the fact that Mavick's server is full even during the wee hours of the morning.... and has lots of good regular players.