Let khamm recycle cysts only

thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
edited January 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">call it recede</div>First off, haven't played the new build, just moved and waiting for my PC to arrive because fedex doesn't have phasegates.

The new minimum spacing for cysts seems fine, maybe a bit long. But as another <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=127214" target="_blank">thread</a> pointed out, you can accidentaly screw yourself with bad cyst placement in some places. Plus some maps/games can get a little.... finiky.... with the cyst chain (some spots on mineshaft/summit/old docking come to mind). My usual fix was to drop cysts, near each other untill I could get a cyst across the "invisible wall" that was interfereing with the cyst chain. This is not possible anymore. So why not allow cysts to be recycled and get that 1 res back? Just cysts, not structures, to be clear. It could be called recede.

<ul>Lets the khamm fix a bad cyst chain that may prevent them from doing something. (Atrium RT example from the other thread)
Helps overcome "finiky spots"</li></ul>

bonus
<ul>Allows a come back from alien res lock.</li></ul>

In my head it would work something like this when activated.
<ul>can only be activated if cyst is connected.
cyst, disconnects from chain.
cyst dies at 2x normal rate.
if cyst gets killed by marines, no res.</li></ul>

Comments

• LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    in before asymmetric game arguements
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    This is almost necessary, with the latest patch.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061885:date=Jan 17 2013, 02:27 AM:name=Lofung)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lofung @ Jan 17 2013, 02:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061885"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->in before asymmetric game arguements<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Still very asymetric. Just cysts, not crags, whips. RTs, shades, etc. If you recede, those would be lost.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2061897:date=Jan 17 2013, 08:58 AM:name=thefonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefonz @ Jan 17 2013, 08:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061897"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Still very asymetric. Just cysts, not crags, whips. RTs, shades, etc. If you recede, those would be lost.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Simple fix: the current "burst" feature should actually kill the cyst. That's what I expected it to do when I first tried it anyway. Would have to make it available without 100% maturity though.
  • skizzskizz Join Date: 2013-01-15 Member: 179778Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061903:date=Jan 17 2013, 03:49 AM:name=halfofaheaven)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (halfofaheaven @ Jan 17 2013, 03:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061903"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simple fix: the current "burst" feature should actually kill the cyst. That's what I expected it to do when I first tried it anyway. Would have to make it available without 100% maturity though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 i dont even care if i get the res back but currently the cyst game mechanic is pretty broke. Specially in places like central drilling, Courtyard, Generator. anywhere with different elevations. I hate not being able to destroy cysts.
  • AshTraiAshTrai Join Date: 2003-04-27 Member: 15878Members
    u certainly need to be able to destroy them as people are getting in to a bit of a pickle with the tripled min range in 236.
  • semihandysemihandy Florida Join Date: 2012-05-24 Member: 152537Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=2061903:date=Jan 17 2013, 03:49 AM:name=halfofaheaven)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (halfofaheaven @ Jan 17 2013, 03:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061903"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simple fix: the current "burst" feature should actually kill the cyst. That's what I expected it to do when I first tried it anyway. Would have to make it available without 100% maturity though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If burst was made to work before the cyst was completely mature, then it would need to just kill the cyst, and not actually blind marines. This would give the alien commander an unfair advantage of being able to drop cysts after the marines arrive in a room and burst it, instead of having to properly prepare for such a tactic.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    call it absorb or assimilate or ingest.
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    edited January 2013
    My suggestion would be to increase the Z axis limitation that is set on placing cysts to make it easier for places that have elevation and make the cyst burst feature kill the cyst. New cyst bursting would yield res back but no blinding and mature cyst bursting would yield no res back but blinding.

Not sure about areas like the southern RT in central drilling. The catwalk i think causes a few issues for placing stuff from the KAMM POV.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    let the bandaid fix for bandaid fix begin!
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2062051:date=Jan 17 2013, 04:17 PM:name=current1y)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (current1y @ Jan 17 2013, 04:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062051"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My suggestion would be to increase the Y axis limitation<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Z-axis, you mean. ;)
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062055:date=Jan 17 2013, 10:29 AM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Jan 17 2013, 10:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062055"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Z-axis, you mean. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

doh!
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Thats what I expected it to do too. Would be just as good.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    How about we get rid of cysts, and power nodes once and for all and be done with it. They add NOTHING to the game, and only detract from strategies.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2062086:date=Jan 17 2013, 08:25 AM:name=CommunistWithAGun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CommunistWithAGun @ Jan 17 2013, 08:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062086"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about we get rid of cysts, and power nodes once and for all and be done with it. They add NOTHING to the game, and only detract from strategies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They add several things, refer to various other topics for examples.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062096:date=Jan 17 2013, 10:37 AM:name=Davil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Davil @ Jan 17 2013, 10:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062096"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They add several things, refer to various other topics for examples.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They limit more than they allow for new ideas and strategies, and on that front, results in a net loss, not a gain. That's like saying we have this great new feature that let's you build on the creep, but only on the creep. Why have creep at all, and open up possibilities.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They limit<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This. This is exactly why they should stay.
    <!--quoteo(post=2062112:date=Jan 17 2013, 10:54 AM:name=xen32)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xen32 @ Jan 17 2013, 10:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062112"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This. This is exactly why they should stay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know considering more than a handful of viable strategies in this game is difficult for you, but the more options people have to play how they want, the more fun it is. Why are you against fun?

Cysts are a chore, not fun
    Power nodes are annoying, and not fun.

Neither of these things add anything new and clever to the game and need to go away. They either need to do something besides sit there and be obnoxious or go away.

Either allow aliens to heal slightly faster on creep, and marines to slowly regen armor near power, something, besides U WANT PRAY GAEM? 2 BAD, U CYST NAO
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2062115:date=Jan 17 2013, 11:58 AM:name=CommunistWithAGun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CommunistWithAGun @ Jan 17 2013, 11:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know considering more than a handful of viable strategies in this game is difficult for you, but the more options people have to play how they want, the more fun it is. Why are you against fun?

Neither of these things add anything new and clever to the game and need to go away. They either need to do something besides sit there and be obnoxious or go away.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sure, lets just call this game NS1 then if you remove those... may as well if you do....... They are core to NS2, are fun for most people and DO add to the game whether you believe it or not.

Anyway this is off-topic, stick to the topic on hand.

Khamm either needs to be able to recycle cysts, cysts minimum range needs to be lowered or z-axis needs to change just a bit to prevent themselves from being locked out of an area, like a res node.
    <!--quoteo(post=2062157:date=Jan 17 2013, 12:50 PM:name=Res)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Res @ Jan 17 2013, 12:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062157"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sure, lets just call this game NS1 then if you remove those... may as well if you do....... They are core to NS2, are fun for most people and DO add to the game whether you believe it or not.

Anyway this is off-topic, stick to the topic on hand.

Khamm either needs to be able to recycle cysts, cysts minimum range needs to be lowered or z-axis needs to change just a bit to prevent themselves from being locked out of an area, like a res node.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is the topic at hand, every day there is a post about how cysts ruin one thing or another. Why even deal with them, the server load issues, the mapping issues, the chore of placing them, the cost of res, why are we shoving an oxygen mask on a corpse? They serve no purpose. Period. They keep things locked up for the aliens which is absurd.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2062108:date=Jan 17 2013, 08:49 AM:name=CommunistWithAGun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CommunistWithAGun @ Jan 17 2013, 08:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062108"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They limit more than they allow for new ideas and strategies, and on that front, results in a net loss, not a gain. That's like saying we have this great new feature that let's you build on the creep, but only on the creep. Why have creep at all, and open up possibilities.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because it clearly defines territorial lines in dark complicated and detailed maps. A high level design criteria that was established years ago for this game.
    <i>"So why isnt it just automatic then?"</i>
    Because it gives the commanders a direct say in where they want their territories. Dropping a powernode socket is the same as clicking a button that says "MY TERRITORY NOW!" but with ingame visual feedback for the rest of the players too.
    <i>"You could still automate this"</i>
    Sure and take control out of the commander's hands. There's plenty of times i don't want a certain room powered or any noise anywhere near that area because of the strategy i have planned.
    <i>"Well powernodes are still far more limiting than cysts because i dont need players to expand my territory"</i>
    Asymmetry card where are yooouuu?

;)
    <!--quoteo(post=2062186:date=Jan 17 2013, 01:33 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jan 17 2013, 01:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062186"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because it clearly defines territorial lines in dark complicated and detailed maps. A high level design criteria that was established years ago for this game.
    <i>"So why isnt it just automatic then?"</i>
    Because it gives the commanders a direct say in where they want their territories. Dropping a powernode socket is the same as clicking a button that says "MY TERRITORY NOW!" but with ingame visual feedback for the rest of the players too.
    <i>"You could still automate this"</i>
    Sure and take control out of the commander's hands. There's plenty of times i don't want a certain room powered or any noise anywhere near that area because of the strategy i have planned.
    <i>"Well powernodes are still far more limiting than cysts because i dont need players to expand my territory"</i>
    Asymmetry card where are yooouuu?

;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats what I don't get. In Flayra's design philosophy for NS2 it clearly states it is an FPS first and an RTS second. Why does a hallway FPS in complex facilities require borders like Civilization? The aliens are a random infestation and ambushers. Neither of which supports the idea of borders. The facilities they infest are entirely marine turf, just compromised. Why does this situation require borders?

inb4 nanites
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Personally i believe its an atmosphere thing. And it plays to great effect in my opinion.. its something you don't see in other games. Infestation literally taking over a facility.
    Its exactly what we all got excited for years ago from the tech video and what a lot of fans pre ordered for. Its why when maps load you see infestation taking over the map in an image. It is NS2's theme and its amazing.. but for those who play the game day in, day out, they may get to the point where the atmosphere and theme wear off and they only care about gameplay.. which is when bells and whistles like this start to appear like fat that should be carved off. But remember customer #632,004 might be just experiencing this for the first time and is blown away and sold with the complement of gameplay and theme.
    I still play with all settings on high when i pub for this reason alone.

Cysts really aren't that much of an issue.. this thread here is about a bug. A major one in fact. But its not like this issue or any other existed for the cyst or powernode for some time now.. and yes last time there was an issue this exact argument you are using was voiced.

But i assure you, this downside is an unintended consequence and shouldn't be used as fuel for the "This is why cysts/powernodes suck" argument some may have.
  • skizzskizz Join Date: 2013-01-15 Member: 179778Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062191:date=Jan 17 2013, 02:46 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jan 17 2013, 02:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062191"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally i believe its an atmosphere thing. And it plays to great effect in my opinion.. its something you don't see in other games. Infestation literally taking over a facility.
    Its exactly what we all got excited for years ago from the tech video and what a lot of fans pre ordered for. Its why when maps load you see infestation taking over the map in an image. It is NS2's theme and its amazing.. but for those who play the game day in, day out, they may get to the point where the atmosphere and theme wear off and they only care about gameplay.. which is when bells and whistles like this start to appear like fat that should be carved off. But remember customer #632,004 might be just experiencing this for the first time and is blown away and sold with the complement of gameplay and theme.

Cysts really aren't that much of an issue.. this thread here is about a bug. A major one in fact. But its not like this issue or any other existed for the cyst or powernode for some time now.. and yes last time there was an issue this exact argument you are using was voiced.

But i assure you, this downside is an unintended consequence and shouldn't be used as fuel for the "This is why cysts/powernodes suck" argument some may have.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

WP sir, Wp'd
  • neighbsneighbs Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159024Members
    I find that Rupture (from a cyst) is one of the most underused abilities that's readily accessible from the practically the start of the game. In comp play, the Khamm uses this ability to synchronize an ambush with his team and usually comes out in an engagement win for the Aliens even when outnumbered. Cysts are fine and if you are having trouble holding your cyst chain try only progressively cysting into a new room when you have it locked down by a group.
    <!--quoteo(post=2062191:date=Jan 17 2013, 01:46 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jan 17 2013, 01:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062191"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally i believe its an atmosphere thing. And it plays to great effect in my opinion.. its something you don't see in other games. Infestation literally taking over a facility.

But i assure you, this downside is an unintended consequence and shouldn't be used as fuel for the "This is why cysts/powernodes suck" argument some may have.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some of us feel NS1 was much, much more atmospheric than the sequel, and it was mostly due to mapping. A lot of the current mapping constraints exist because of engine flaws and issues with power nodes and cysts. That's why they annoy me most. They just seem to be in everything and cause so many problems I cannot fathom the die hard will behind it to keep them around.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062115:date=Jan 17 2013, 08:58 AM:name=CommunistWithAGun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CommunistWithAGun @ Jan 17 2013, 08:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know considering more than a handful of viable strategies in this game is difficult for you, but the more options people have to play how they want, the more fun it is. Why are you against fun?

Neither of these things add anything new and clever to the game and need to go away. They either need to do something besides sit there and be obnoxious or go away.

Either allow aliens to heal slightly faster on creep, and marines to slowly regen armor near power, something, besides U WANT PRAY GAEM? 2 BAD, U CYST NAO<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cysts are only a chore when marines break your chains.

Power nodes are only a chore if there is a gorge bilebombing it.

Smart marines don't build power unless they need it.
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062055:date=Jan 17 2013, 10:29 AM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Jan 17 2013, 10:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062055"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Z-axis, you mean. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually... Y was correct. Most 3D applications use X, Z as the horizontal plane, with Y as the vertical axis, and NS2 is no exception. (Though, yes, I also think of Z as being the vertical!)
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2062054:date=Jan 17 2013, 07:21 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Jan 17 2013, 07:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062054"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->let the bandaid fix for bandaid fix begin!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    this whole process really does highlight the weakness of the infestation and power node system, doesn't it ?
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2013