ns2_caged

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    My pov from both rounds of caged yesterday:
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2015
    Update!

CHANGELOG [16th of august 2015]
    o Finished detailing of Upper Wasteflow
    o Removed barrels in the bend of Lower Wasteflow
    o Added crate/barrel stack near powernode of Lower Wasteflow
    o Removed railings from Stability bridge
    o Added extensions to the sides of Stability bridge
    o Moved the Access powernode slightly so the prop it's on doesn't clip through it
    o Changed main lights in Sewer - Lower Wasteflow corridor from blue to teal
    o Detailed much of Purification
    o Replaced Purification - Ventilation corridor with a very unfinished air shaft
    o Moved Ventilation resource node to the east side of the room
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Purification is now complete. Further polishing might happen, but the room is pretty much done.

CHANGELOG [23rd of august 2015]
    o Removed resource node from Central (we'll see how this goes)
    o Completed detailing of Purification
    o Detailed the Ready Room a bit
    o Fixed shader error spam in Ready Room (hopefully)
    o Fixed Location issue in Monitoring

iO1cWQt.jpg
    Blorp!

CHANGELOG [6th of september 2015]
    o Rebuilt much of DAT-1, moved the res node
    o Raised Generator and Auxiliary Generator about 64 units
    o Some detailing in the Ready Room
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Blorp!

CHANGELOG [6th of september 2015]
    o Rebuilt much of DAT-1, moved the res node
    o Raised Generator and Auxiliary Generator about 64 units
    o Some detailing in the Ready Room

What about a toggable speed setting for @Loki 's food blender in Purification? :smiley::dizzy:
    CHANGELOG [13th of september 2015]
    o Improved performance in Sewer with new occlusion geometry and lighting and geometry optimization
    o Added the Central Processing resource node back in
    o Further detailing of DAT-1
    o Moved/resized freight container in Shipping Tunnels so an Onos can move around it now
    o Added a ladder in the Sewer - Lower Wasteflow vent
    o Modified two ceiling sections in Sewer - Lower Wasteflow vent for skulks to hide in
    o Detailed the Stability - Shortcut vent a little
    o Added a bunch of 'hidden' gorge plushies - one per (somewhat) completed room!
  • troopstroops Wales Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13664Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I will find all the gorge plushies!
    CHANGELOG [20th of september 2015]
    o More detailing of DAT-1 again
    o Finished detailing the Stability -> Shortcut vent
    o Further detailing of the Ready Room
    o Altered the colours of the lighting in Shipping Tunnels
    o Added the first of the digital roomname signs, this one for DAT-1

QMYAZLl.jpg

aNXoSKV.jpg

oZJH0Qe.jpg

uJxtwW2.jpg
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    CHANGELOG [20th of september 2015]
    o More detailing of DAT-1 again
    o Finished detailing the Stability -> Shortcut vent
    o Further detailing of the Ready Room
    o Altered the colours of the lighting in Shipping Tunnels
    o Added the first of the digital roomname signs, this one for DAT-1

QMYAZLl.jpg

aNXoSKV.jpg

oZJH0Qe.jpg

uJxtwW2.jpg

You still gonna put kodiak asteroid skybox in DAT-1? :smiley:
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Beautiful.  Great looking work, Flat!
  • AlienJuAlienJu Join Date: 2005-04-07 Member: 47732Members
    As Alien Com I have had problems with misting. It says I cannot mist, even though it is on infestation. See on the sides of generator and next to the big fan entrance in ventilation. Also in generator was unable to drop structures close to the walls (north and especially south sides) Can someone else confirm?
    Also to bring up the question of using grenade launchers in ventilation coming from purification. Marines can hide behind the barrier (by the big fan) but still hit the hive with nade launchers. Is this by design?
    Cheers
    I've been working on Generator this week, and testing on my local build I had no problems misting or dropping structures near the walls. I'm going to assume this bug is fixed since I can't reproduce it.

By GLing from, behind the separating wall at Vent, you mean how you can bounce the nades off the wall? I am okay with that, as you then cannot see aliens coming at you from the hive, and they're instantly in your face. That said, once that area gets detailed, the situation will undoubtedly change somewhat.
    Looks fricking awesome flat, specially like the additional storage crates, makes it slightly more alien friendly however a few more IMO will help lots!
    I'm hoping to replace the crates with something else, they're mostly placeholder now (unless I can't think of anything better). But I do want some cover there yeah.
  • =Mr.P==Mr.P= Join Date: 2012-02-20 Member: 147025Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks awesome man i have to start i must start come here more often
    keep up the good work :)
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    YuJTRi7.jpg

CHANGELOG [18th of october 2015]
    o Further detailing of Generator
    o Did a quick clutter-up where the old connections west and east of Central Processing used to be
    o Fixed various small holes

I really like where you are going with the architecture of generator. It's a great homage to the original. There's one issue I see in this shot though that isn't working for me. The lights all seem to be affecting too small of an area. The blue glow of the generator, and the bright yellow lights next to it seem to barely be reaching the floor, and the lights on the periphery are similarly muted. I think this ends up detracting from the theme of the room because despite intending to evoke POWER, it doesn't seem like there's enough power there to keep the lights on. If you want it overall gloomy, I think you need to take some of the bulbs out of the architecture.

Computer terminals would make good crate replacements, and would fit with the theme. Another option would be arched supports, echoing the curves in the overhead generator. Looking forward to it. :)
    @moultano You make a good point about the lighting. I had originally kept the center under-lit simply because I was going to brighten it up later, but then I took a liking to the atmosphere it created and I only lit it up subtly. I will play around with having the light make more sense, thanks for pointing it out!
    @moultano You make a good point about the lighting. I had originally kept the center under-lit simply because I was going to brighten it up later, but then I took a liking to the atmosphere it created and I only lit it up subtly. I will play around with having the light make more sense, thanks for pointing it out!

A nice lightning blue glow illuminating the room would look insane, how does having the power destroyed affect the generator? I have yet to see it
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts

My pick would be to have all the ambient light generated by the glow of powerful machines, and keep the intentional lights bright, narrow, and high contrast. So imagine a brightly light walkway surrounded by dark machinery lit only by its own Cherenkov radiation. :)

Maybe the foils at the edges from the original caged could be heat radiators? Glowing a dull black-body orange?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    moultano wrote: »

My pick would be to have all the ambient light generated by the glow of powerful machines, and keep the intentional lights bright, narrow, and high contrast. So imagine a brightly light walkway surrounded by dark machinery lit only by its own Cherenkov radiation. :)

Maybe the foils at the edges from the original caged could be heat radiators? Glowing a dull black-body orange?

Ppphht... everyone knows radiation is green! Make it green flat!
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    looking great flat, generator looks like its going to be an amazing looking room.
    Small update!

CHANGELOG [25th of october 2015]
    o Further detailing of Generator
    o Changed the Stability-Shortcut vent to exit in Central instead of Shortcut
    edited November 2015
    EDIT: CAGED IS CURRENTLY BROKEN, BECAUSE THE WORKSHOP KEEPS UPLOADING ANOTHER MOD I PUBLISHED FROM A DIFFERENT COMPUTER, PROBABLY FROM THE WORKSHOP'S CACHE SOMEWHERE. I HOPE THINGS GET FIXED SOON. SORRY.

After some trouble with setting things up on my new computer, and in-between a lot of Fallout 4, I managed to sneak in a new Caged build:

CHANGELOG [15th of november 2015]
    o Further detailing of Generator... again
    o Removed the Stability-Central vent
    o Removed some crates and barrels from Shortcut
    o Removed some cabinets from Monitoring to provide a better LOS to the Shortcut exit
    o Fixed some spawn weights for the verious hives that I had no idea were inconsistent - derp!
    o Fixed a few spots in Upper Wasteflow where structures could not be dropped
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2015
    have been enjoying games on caged more and more, love the detailing you've been able to do so far.
    Something that's bothering me a little bit now that the generator area is coming together visually. I don't think Dat-1 should have a view of space. It really clashes with the surrounding architecture that makes it feel like you are somewhere deep within the ship. If nothing else, it really needs to feel like there's a lot more between you and the void of space than a big flimsy pane of glass, and some architecture outside to contain the generator et al.

IMHO, It would work much better if you were instead looking out on a huge field of pipes. I think that would fit the location.
    I haven't yet started on the DAT-1 exterior, but lots of spaceship will eventually be visible. You have a good point about the flimsy piece of glass though, I'll be adding more bulk there when I get to working on the exterior.