Roberts Space Industries

124»

Comments

• GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    @0ni Alone? - Dont think youll even get into the outer systems whitout someone notising, let alone the core systems.
    Youll have attack squads on you faster than you think. <3
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    Not alone at all, but the first rule of... wait a minute, I've already said too much.

No, there is a group of like minded individuals but as you can imagine we keep on the down low.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    GISP wrote: »
    @0ni Alone? - Dont think youll even get into the outer systems whitout someone notising, let alone the core systems.
    Youll have attack squads on you faster than you think. <3

I don't think you will be able to maintain this much control. After all, this is not Eve online.

...right?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13432-Letter-From-The-Chairman-On-Dogfighting

Ha. The first comment:
    In Chris we Trust. Looking forward to the Gameplay footage.

I'm a tad more cynical.
    So far this project is mostly letdowns, payments and propaganda talk.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    edited December 2013
    Yep, been waiting for this for quite some time. Eve online didn't do justice to original Freelancer, which I still have great memories of playing with various friends both in LAN and Online. Eve never had the dogfighting capability that made Freelancer great multiplayer game.

I still remember entering accidentally Omega-42 and that "radiation warning" through a wormhole sound echoing like a death bell. The sceneries at the different star systems were beatiful. It's one of those games I did play partly because of atmospherics. It really had that space exploration, vast universe and "solo freelancer" feeling to it.

This has potential but you never know what kind of product we'll end up with. I'm waiting eagerly!
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    edited December 2013
    Well I do agree the game has way more than it's fair share of propaganda I don't think there's any tangible letdowns. I mean, game development is shaky at best in it's early stages, not unlike any number of other examples.

Take for instance building a shed. It's a simple enough thing to say, but when you start you're thinking and re-thinking a lot. Over measuringand leveling everything and you slowly build the footings and joists. On their own they seem like nothing special and they aren't at all useful. It's the lengthiest part of the process and can make the task seem intimidating. When it's done though you move onto the walls and the roof and before you know it (if you've done it right) things just start falling into place and the job is done.

Game development appears no different. In the beginning you've got all these people working on the various parts of the foundation. It can take time and it isn't a simple process, I daresay even harder then building a shed. When the pieces start coming together though it will start to snowball. Once the foundation is built putting up walls is as much a matter of deciding where they go as it is to build them.

Namecalling. *Snip.*
    -Align

Also it's worth pointing out that the game won't even be playable until the Linux build is out anyway so who cares how long it takes?
    edited December 2013
    I do see their reasons. With letdowns I mostly refer to the voyager direct store, which still leaves a bad aftertaste everytime i read a comm-link.

Also, they now have 35mio $. Fucking 35.000.000.000$, community funded. Guess what? A second character slot still costs extra.