Roberts Space Industries

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Guild Wars 2 has no subscription fee. You pay for the game once and you own it.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    It's the same in this case.
    To be honest, they might actually smudge a small pay to win element in it by Making ships buyable with real cash.
    but then, everything is one-life only, so imagine the satisfaction of burning a ship (or stealing one) someone payed for with REAL LIFE CASH...... I think?
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    edited August 2013
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    I guess its just not my cup of tea then.
    0ni wrote: »
    Perma death. You can only be scientifically-magicated back to life so many times before your body requires you to replace parts with cybernetic bits. Eventually you're body can take no more and you die.
    Is this something people actually enjoy? Having played a fair bit of Don't Starve with a similar 'permadeath' aspect, I find it actually detracts from the experience. I found myself trying not to explore the game out of fear that doing so would (and frequently did) lead to a loss of all my progress. Dying should be penalized, but I feel the EVE solution where you can lose a far amount of resources and experience but not everything a much better approach.

That's not exactly how perma-death works in Star Citizen.
    When your ship is destroyed, you do not die, you are ejected in a pod (unless maybe in the case of an overkill, I think)
    Your pod then floats around the debris field, but it can be shot down, in which case you will have physical damage shown on your character (prosthetic limb for example)

The attacker, however, gets a bounty on his head, which might not be fun for him.
    After a fair number of these ship+pod destructions, your character dies. However, you now control the next of kin, which means you don't lose stuff. Reputation is also passed on, but diminished.

They also said that there will be ways to regain lives, or reset their death counter.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So this is buy once and own it and not subscription?
    Yes, but it will have in-game micro transactions.
    Everything can be obtained with enough game time, though.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    The micro transations are only for small limited amounts of game money. It's only there to help non-regular gamers catch up a bit to people who play all the time. You can't buy things with them, you still have to go out and get these things. Example being you can only play for 2-3 hours on the weekend but you still want the fancy constellation ship. so you buy a some in game credits every month plus your normal gaming income and then you can get a new ship in a couple months instead of a year. The system is in place for the full time Joe with kids and real life problems. It's not supposed to be enough money to give any meaningful advantage to the regular player. On top of that the working Joe still has to travel to the appropriate planet to buy his new ship. Buying stuff in the game is as much about where it's made and if enough are available as it is the cost of them. The speed at which ships are made is a variable based on the demand and the rate at which players and NPCs are able to sell materials to the manufacturer.

Watch this to see what I'm talking about.
    So its like PlanetSide 2 then, in which everything that you can buy you can unlock just by playing and earing Certs?

I like this, I think I might invest. Ill have to wait first till I understand the game more
    Except that you can't buy actual items and you can't spend as much real money as you want. You can however get anything in the game with game money just by playing. With the exception of a special early backer ship skin I think, but that's pretty whatever.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    It's like Planetside 2 except it comes with a single player/coop campaign too, plus you can run your own private servers (like in Freelancer) if you want.
    Hangar Module has been released. If you've pledged for one of the base 5 ships you can now walk around and inside of them in engine.

THE MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS ARE AS FOLLOWS
    Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
    DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM
    Quad core CPU
    8GB Memory
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Hi. Thought I might enter the discussion. Pledge at 24th of November last year, upgraded to Colonel some months ago. Was pretty active in the SC community in the months before the livestream, not anymore after the livestream (hell, this community SUCKS! :) ).

Did anyone test the hangar module yet? Are the minimum specs really that high? lol.
    I can't test it, unfortunately. Vacation -.-

I didn't read the whole thread - did you think about creating a NS2 squad? If yes, you mind if I join? :D
    I don't have that much of a gaming computer anymore (i5-3570, 8 GB ram, but GeForce 460 GTX)

It's a slideshow at very high settings/1080p. I'm using very high settings at 1080p because I want to see the quality of the graphics, and since there is no actual gaming ...
    But if you want to turn down the settings, it can actually feel somewhat smooth(ish)

The module isn't that interesting though, you just walk around bugged ships. So far, the promo material is better, in my opinion.
    I'm running an i5 650 at 4 and a 7870 at 1.2 with a mere 4gb of ram and it runs fine max everything at 1080.

It's a buggy pre-alpha, is to be expected.

It's also not that exciting after about ten minutes. You can now add guns to your ships though and that's pretty neat.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited August 2013
    I can't wait to see my hornet :D

I think I will be able to run it fine (i7-2600k, AMD radeon 6950, 16gb)

edit: Just took a look at the store...

I guess you should just make your own opinion.

Let me just say: I'm not happy with it.

edit2: @ezekel, you are not by any chance this ezekeel: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/45371/voyager-direct-store-pricing-main-discussion-thread/p1

I just created a thread in those forums and immediately lost it. This community is like a tumor: Big, growing, and you don't want it :D
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Just FYI: If you're eligible to download the hangar module but you can't be bothered doing it, just sign in and click download for an extra 5k spacebux. Cancel the download and profit!

--Scythe--
    Scythe wrote: »
    Just FYI: If you're eligible to download the hangar module but you can't be bothered doing it, just sign in and click download for an extra 5k spacebux. Cancel the download and profit!

--Scythe--

I can download the whole hangar next week - is there a time limitation on when you get the 5k?
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    No idea. I shouldn't think so. This hangar thing is basically an engine test in disguise, so I don't think they'll take away the incentive.

--Scythe--
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Yup, it's a test alright. I must run mine as administrator or else it crashes. Even then when I launch it, it still crashes :D Ah well, link clicked to get the 5000.
    Note that currently, 5000 credits barely represent any money ingame.

5000 credits costs 5 dollars. It will get you:
    -One poster for your hangar, or
    -One lamp to decorate your hangar, or
    -Half of a spaceship, to decorate your hangar... or
    -One quarter of a buggy, to zoom around in your hangar.

For the useful stuff, the cheapest laser cannon costs 4000 credits (the smallest ship seems to have 2 of those)
    Second cheapest costs 8000. Most expensive costs 16000
    edited September 2013
    Note that currently, 5000 credits barely represent any money ingame.

5000 credits costs 5 dollars. It will get you:
    -One poster for your hangar, or
    -One lamp to decorate your hangar, or
    -Half of a spaceship, to decorate your hangar... or
    -One quarter of a buggy, to zoom around in your hangar.

For the useful stuff, the cheapest laser cannon costs 4000 credits (the smallest ship seems to have 2 of those)
    Second cheapest costs 8000. Most expensive costs 16000

Yeah. It's somewhat ridiculous and produced a giant shitstorm in the community (The official feedback thread on the store had 2000 posts in one day).

It's almost like CIG says to the players "Here, have a dollar" literally.

edit: I have now officially taken over this thread! :D
    People whine too much on the internet. The store prices were fine. They're trying to raise money for the game and you don't NEED them to play. In fact, pretty much anything you'll be able to get in game will be better then what is offered in the store anyway. I would think that a bunch of frivolous crap like buggys and posters would make that pretty obvious.

The important thing here, and I think we all can agree, is fuck EA. This game is just one way of expressing that.
    edited September 2013
    People whine too much on the internet. The store prices were fine. They're trying to raise money for the game and you don't NEED them to play. In fact, pretty much anything you'll be able to get in game will be better then what is offered in the store anyway. I would think that a bunch of frivolous crap like buggys and posters would make that pretty obvious.

I partially disagree, but I respect you opinion. Let's keep it at that.
    The important thing here, and I think we all can agree, is fuck EA. This game is just one way of expressing that.

Yep.

edit: No, I actually don't even disagree with you. I have an opinion about ingame stores, but I don't think we should argue here ;)
    That's what the official forums are for^^
    Well looking at the Recommended specs, Ill guess ill have to wait a while.
    ellnic wrote: »
    Well looking at the Recommended specs, Ill guess ill have to wait a while.
    That's just for the unoptomized prealpha hanger. That said the game is still a year and a half out, you got time to save, it seems like this will really be one of those games that is totally worth upgrading for.

I partially disagree, but I respect you opinion. Let's keep it at that.

Yep.

edit: No, I actually don't even disagree with you. I have an opinion about ingame stores, but I don't think we should argue here ;)
    That's what the official forums are for^^

Yeah I'm not huge on stores either. I mean, games with cosmetic shit is totally fine, brothers gotta make some coin after all, but anything else can be complicated. After release I understand the store will be strictly for in game credits and there will be a limit to it. The goal being that people who can't play often can "pay to catch up" and the limit will be low enough to not be useful for people who play a lot. I'm not totally sold on it but for now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. One thing they've confirmed is that you'll still have to fly around to different planets to buy things with the money. Not everything will be available everywhere.
    Anyway whatever, My point stands. They need to make money and people don't understand that and on the internet people like to complain. It's just like this reinforced thing, some people don't get that it's a tool to measure interest and fund continued development, but it's also a way to make money. They're a business and they like to take home paychecks. I got my gripes about HOW they did it, but I don't have any problems with the WHY. Both companies are trying something different and reasonably new in the grand scheme of business strategies and it's not without it's growing pains.

I don't care to argue it on the official forums. It's too fucking busy there. :p
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    In case anyone is planing of playing Star Citizen.
    My trading guild is the main host of the PACT agreement. And will in cooperation whit other large cooperations provide a pirate free envioment :)
    I don't know yet what I want to do ingame. I'm probably going to just play with my first character and see how it turns out. My second and third characters are probably going to a bounty hunter and a trader.

So maybe I will eventually join your guild :)
    The thing about the balanced instances though... I mean no matter how big your group is it's just going to match you against equal numbers of pirates. How can you possibly promise a pirate free environment? Especially when there is people like me out there who have lots of accounts and will repeatedly sell you out at the first opportunity just to attack the "corporation" structure that made EVE so boring. :D

I think I'm going to try and make my living as a mole for the pirates. Steal from the rich, give to the... criminals... yeah, that sounds like fun.

I'll also alt as a solo explorer if the guilds don't get too big.

TL:DR Yes, I would love to join your guild, where do I sign up?
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    The thing about the balanced instances though... I mean no matter how big your group is it's just going to match you against equal numbers of pirates. How can you possibly promise a pirate free environment? Especially when there is people like me out there who have lots of accounts and will repeatedly sell you out at the first opportunity just to attack the "corporation" structure that made EVE so boring. :D

I think I'm going to try and make my living as a mole for the pirates. Steal from the rich, give to the... criminals... yeah, that sounds like fun.

I'll also alt as a solo explorer if the guilds don't get too big.

TL:DR Yes, I would love to join your guild, where do I sign up?
    Same site :)
    But if you are joining both a pirate and a "member of pact clan/guild/cooperation thingy". Keep it awesome, sneaky and if posible RP the **** out of it :P
    I dunno, seemed like the simplest way to solve the problem of having people who pledged multiple times. If it really bothers you I'd say your odds of getting a refund or replacing your full packages with addon ships is extremely high. I think the game was originally intended to be single player only and they did this as a work around because people would just buy multiple copies for alts anyway.

It's also important to know they're experiencing far more success then intended and some weird decisions are a growing pain and an inevitability. Just look at UWE, do you think every choice they made was well reasoned? Besides, can't make everyone happy all the time. Hell, sometimes you can't even make half the people happy. Just look at how many folk were totally pissed about the death of a spaceman post. "OMG perma death ruins my RPing, because when I die in Skyrim I just go back to my last save!".

Just melt your extra slots when the option is available or email Sandy or Justin and ask for a refund on the character slots if you don't want them.

This all sort of reminds me of NS2 coming out of beta. I gave $40-45 something bucks before it was released and I was pissed because the "deluxe" armor looked like shit and anyone could buy it and all I got was a free copy of the game. Both I considered to be terrible value and painfully tactless on UWE's part, but at the end of the day it's still their call to make and I'm just gonna have to live with it. It's that or demand a refund, but it's a little late now. :p

So it's not ideal, but every other option would be really complicated.

Also, I believe the official word is at some point there will be more account management tools so that you can decide what to do with your extra character slots/multiple pledges. So you'll probably get your way in the long run anyhow.

Anyway, enough ranting, good luck on your en devour.

@GISP
    I'm going to grief the shit out of all of you.