Roberts Space Industries

Comments

• ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1995890:date=Oct 24 2012, 12:09 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Oct 24 2012, 12:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1995890"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They fixed it! Turns out the secret was the radiator fans.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That was some goddamned nerd argument kung-fu.

--Scythe--
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    ITT: Two people arguing with each other are both right, and yet I can't help but feel smugly superior to both.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <a href="http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/ships-plan/" target="_blank">They added information about the ships you get when you pledge at various tiers</a> along with more general info about ships/gear/etc.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    If you decide to donate, do so on Kickstarter.

Donating on Kickstarter goes toward two stretch goals : the "main" ones visible on the Star Citizen page, plus additional Kickstarter specific ones.
    But if you do it through the Star Citizen website then Kickstarter doesn't take 5% of your money.
    Hmm... stretch goals versus something that doesn't affect me. That's a hard choice indeed.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Woot, outside-of-the ship combat added :D

Boarding parties anyone ?
    Wouldn't boarding parties be inside-of-the-ship combat?
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    well after the party has boarded

until then...
  • Zero7Zero7 Join Date: 2002-03-10 Member: 301Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2028741:date=Nov 19 2012, 10:04 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Nov 19 2012, 10:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028741"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wouldn't boarding parties be inside-of-the-ship combat?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They also have outside-the-ship-combat boarding parties. With maglock boots.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    Anyone else watch the 24 hour live stream?

Crazy days ahead.

Looks like openGL is coming to Cry Engine.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    So I kicked this starter ages ago, at the $30 tier. I keep getting emails about paying more for different ships, or something. What's the go here? Will these ships be unavailable in any other way ingame? Idgi.

--Scythe--
    Absolutely everything is obtainable in game, no exceptions. I think at the $40 and up levels you get alpha access until slots run out and beta access for sure. Any ship bought before the 6th of July will include life time insurance on the hull. Insurance is bought with in game money just like car insurance and is treated the same way, so basically it saves you some in game money...

For you Scythe, since you pledged during the kick starter, any ship you buy before November will have lifetime insurance and if you so choose you can gift said ships and the LTI is attached to the hull. HERE is the ship you pledged for btw.

HERE is the ship I pledged for.

THIS is a ship that was revealed during the live stream. It was sold at a limit of 150 and they sold out in 9 minutes at $1250 a pop.
  • nSidianSidia Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155651Members
    Wow this game looks bad ass!
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why haven't I head about this until now!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It looks like a combo of EVE and a Flight Sim. Besides better graphics, its not looking all that innovative.
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    It looks like a combo of EVE and a Flight Sim. Besides better graphics, its not looking all that innovative.
    It's actually a FPS with a heavy focus on vehicles. You can do boarding actions whereby you can attempt to use your 1337 skillz to shoot out someones thrusters, leave them drifting, dock their ship, try to kill them and take their booty.

You can have a crew on your ship, people operating turrets and repairing things.

You'll be able to walk on the out side of your ship, full on evo suits with varying degrees of armor vs. mobility.

FPS zero G combat.

When you mod your ship it's a physical thing that can be damaged. If someone boards your corvette and attacks the power plant you will be without power. If they blow up your missle bay, you have no missles.

Perma death. You can only be scientifically-magicated back to life so many times before your body requires you to replace parts with cybernetic bits. Eventually you're body can take no more and you die.

115 systems currently with 2+ planets each plus space stations.

Oculus Rift support from the hanger alpha this August onward.

If you're a douche you can buy and sell slaves as a comodity.

No point and click WoW in space bullshit mechanics. It is a skill based game with no RPG style leveling element. Everything is going to be very rock, paper, scissors.

Outrageous graphics. The stuff from those commercials are real time on a GTX 680 in engine. Mind you that's also just what they've done so far in 6 months. It is to be polished much further still.

Big focus on industry, trade. racing and exploration among other things. Not just a dog fighting game.

Even the ship mods can be modded. You'll be able to overclock weapons and shields.

Mods have a phyisical impact on the look of your ship.

It's also been hinted that CryEngine is getting openGL support. Though none of the juiciest details have been revealed but here's the quote.
    http://www.twitch.tv/roberts_space_ind_ch_1/b/423248451:

Chris Roberts @ 04:46:54: So I think that Linux and Mac owners will be happily surprised when we can make an announcement that we can't just make yet.
    They have said that they will do a Linux and Mac build permitting that CryTek did the openGL part. A mac port is also subject to better hardware and a higher version of openGL.

The list goes on.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/forums#/discussion/17241/netandy-s-guide-to-star-citizen-aka-summary-of-lore-interviews-and-everything
    That thread is sort of the wiki of Star Citizen, most any question can be answered there.
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    You do realise that combining those genres has never been done before right? And as Oni pointed out, it will have features neither of genres had.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I guess its just not my cup of tea then.
    0ni wrote: »
    Perma death. You can only be scientifically-magicated back to life so many times before your body requires you to replace parts with cybernetic bits. Eventually you're body can take no more and you die.
    Is this something people actually enjoy? Having played a fair bit of Don't Starve with a similar 'permadeath' aspect, I find it actually detracts from the experience. I found myself trying not to explore the game out of fear that doing so would (and frequently did) lead to a loss of all my progress. Dying should be penalized, but I feel the EVE solution where you can lose a far amount of resources and experience but not everything a much better approach.
    I guess its just not my cup of tea then.
    Is this something people actually enjoy? Having played a fair bit of Don't Starve with a similar 'permadeath' aspect, I find it actually detracts from the experience. I found myself trying not to explore the game out of fear that doing so would (and frequently did) lead to a loss of all my progress. Dying should be penalized, but I feel the EVE solution where you can lose a far amount of resources and experience but not everything a much better approach.

When you need medical treatment you pay for it. When you need cybernetic replacements it costs you and when you finally die for good all that you own is transferred to next of kin. So you don't lose "everything" but enough to make you really not want to die. The reason behind the perma-death is actually because it's a sandbox player driven world and people dying gives a better sense of progression.

I personally do like perma-death, even day Z style. I like that fear of knowing everything is on the line.

July 5th is the last day you can get lifetime insurance on ships and certain limited ships. Although all ships are obtainable in game.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    Perma-death in a game where you can die anywhere, really fast, from just about any bored kid that finds it entertaining? It doesn't sound like fun if you happen to get in such situation. There is no way to make everyone equally scared of dying so it's likely that there will be tons of griefing to "exploit" perma-death. Just look at EVE where there at least were raids against newbie zones, even if it cost them their life a few seconds later to Concord.
    Yeah, griefers grief in every game.

That said, if they suicide bomb you their insurance won't cover their ship and they'll either have to do odd jobs working for other players until they can afford a new ship or they'll have to buy a new copy of the game.

Also, a lot of stuff is subject to change during the alpha and beta. There sure was a lot of controversy on the issue but CR was pretty firm about it. He also stressed the point as well that if you eject in time you do not die at all, you get recovered and your insurance buys you a new ship.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I heard gameplay is being instanced? Anyone know how that's going to work? I'm assuming this means no massive space battles...
    Well the idea is that no computer could handle EVE size battles while rendering everything in the fidelity you see in the trailers. So there will be varying degrees of match making at the players discretion. If you're a PvP type you can set the slider to max, battle people all the time in more intimate dog fights or if you're a PvE type you can set it to minimum and mostly just putter in space and battle AI more often the real people. It's a slider and you can set it how you like.

The size of the battles will be tested during the dogfighting alpha, in fact that's the entire purpose of said alpha. They want to make the limit as high as reasonably possible.

Also, large multi-crew ships have less impact on performance then an equal number of players in individual ships. So five ships with ten crew members use less resources client and server side then fifty guys in single man ships. The instancing is based on who is in the same area as you, and if no one is there then you might encounter some AI or maybe no one.

HERE is the how the sandbox economy is going to work as well as mission generation.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So this is the game that will destroy my life. Nice knowing you people.
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    So this is the game that will destroy my life. Nice knowing you people.
    Oh my goodness I know what you mean. The more you know the worse it gets.

Fun fact, they raised almost a million dollars today. The limited ships are ending at midnight PST and the hanger module is next month. If you've pledged or are going to it's not long before you can walk around your ship and start playing with mods and upgrades.

If you're planning on getting this game I highly recommend doing it before midnight PST.

So will this be a F2P or P2P game, I cant find this infomation anywhere
    Pay to play, like Guild Wars 2.
    Doesn't pay to play mean a subscription?
    This is a pay once for the game and that's it kind of thing.

Hanger module is out on the 24th this month btw. So anyone who's pledged for one of the five basic ships will get to see their precious contraptions in person.
    Pay to play, like Guild Wars 2.
    Doesn't pay to play mean a subscription?
    This is a pay once for the game and that's it kind of thing.

Hanger module is out on the 24th this month btw. So anyone who's pledged for one of the five basic ships will get to see their precious contraptions in person.

This is why I am a bit confused