Natural Selection 2 News Update - Beta Build 222 is Live!

MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - Beta Build 222 is Live! here

Comments

• FlamingoFlamingo Join Date: 2009-07-15 Member: 68141Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    New. Clog. Model. :>
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yay, I can finally join servers again!
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    edited October 2012
    I like the autojoin feature, but I used the right click feature in menumod quite often to see who was playing on the server before joining. You could also use menumod to set it to autojoin multiple servers at the same time and it would join the first one with an open slot. It would be great if the official menu had these features as well.

Another feature of menumod that I miss is the chat window. You could press Y to start typing a message and a scroll bar would appear to allow you to scroll up and view the chat history.

[EDIT] Also, when you click to join a server with a password there is no way to close the password window.
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    Im loving the new server browser!

Fyi you guys forgot wall jump in the patch notes :-/
  • napalm_9napalm_9 Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157768Members
    edited October 2012
    What a cranking patch! Thanks for fixing the stuck at mods downloading prob! I can play again too! Anyone notice an increase in performance yet? The optimizations sound pretty nice.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1990016:date=Oct 12 2012, 12:16 PM:name=Burdock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Burdock @ Oct 12 2012, 12:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990016"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Im loving the new server browser!

Fyi you guys forgot wall jump in the patch notes :-/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Did they not change anything or was it just missed in the patch notes?
  • SkwareSkware Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58125Members
    Is there plans to add first person spawn cameras for infantry portals?
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Balance

Upgrading Robotics Factory cost reduced from 20 to 10.
    ARC cost reduced from 20 to 15.
    ARC build time reduced from 20 to 10.
    Tweaked melee base width. This requires all melee to be a bit more accurate (notably: Skulks).
    Removed "emergency" egg spawning (now always 7 seconds instead of 10 when there are no eggs). When calculating the spawn time for an egg, use the # of eggs that currently exist, not the # that haven't been assigned to a dead Alien.
    Lowered time to evolve Hive to Crag/Shade/Shift Hive from 30 seconds to 20.
    Lowered Arms Lab health by 12%. Lowered build time from 19 to 17.
    Increased Hive grow time from 120 seconds to 150 seconds.
    Increased Shift health from 400 to 500.
    Increased Onos charge energy cost to 40, up from 22, per second (cooldown remains at 1.5 seconds)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I am at a loss.....

I guess if I want to actually enjoy the game I will play marines...when I feel like repeatedly running long distances only to be 1 shotted and battle fruitlessly I will play aliens. Sorry but your making playing aliens as enjoyable as a prostate exam.

Increasing hive build time by 30 seconds...WOW thats a way to fix the 2 min hive...now you have a 2.5 min hive (aliens still NEED the 2nd hive so you have not solved anything.)

Tweaked melee range...yes because with all the recent FPS improvements marines are finding it tougher to kill skulks....dont know where you see this happening but not on any servers I play on.
    Its bloody hard enough to bite a marine as it is...with them jumping all over the shop shooting at their feet...again you punish the skulk that has successfully managed to get within striking distance.

We now have cheaper and faster to build arcs....they where already starting to make it back into play on aussie servers...back to the great arc trains on old I guess.

Also you can build that PG on infestation now...so it will be easier to ninja PG's (just what marines need...more mobility...I mean they struggle to get map control...it can take them 1-2 min to run around building all those RT's).
    With welders being stupidly effective at killing skulks (and also cysts) this is just screwing aliens over even more.

Sorry guys but as someone who really enjoyed aliens in NS1...and struggled to keep the love for them in NS2...I think I have about given up and will simply do what everyone else does (stack marines) as its the only way to get an enjoyable game (even when your losing you feel like your winning).
    As aliens I often feel like we are about to lose right up to the point we get marines down to 1 tech point (even then only if no JP's or exos are back).
    I can look and see 3 fades, 1 onos, couple of lerks and skulks...yet if marines have more than 1 tech point I know we can lose in seconds (as hive loses (unlike tech point losses) have severe impacts on alien lifeforms and their combat abilities).
    This is a terrible game play mechanic and results in lots of aliens f4'ing and leaving servers due to the lack of enjoyment in a game.
    A winning alien side will have most aliens with an even KD ratio....a winning marine game will have 2 or 3:1 ratios.
    So even when aliens are winning they are not getting as much reward.

You still have not addressed the tech tree issue, losing a shell is all too easy and yet aliens have to research things again (yet marines dont?).
    Marines scale to stupid levels (try skulking after 12 min mark....see how many kills you can get) yet aliens are left with 1 armour upgrade and 0 attack upgrade.
    So aliens get easier to kill (take fewer bullets) and marines get harder to kill (take more bites/swipes)...

And you wonder why aliens try to rush spawns, or fast hives? Its because if they dont marines simply out tech aliens and will more often than not, go on to win the game.

I have liked the change to the eggs, but still think its an issue with 1 hive early game.
    Early game marines move almost as quickly as aliens...so skirmishes often happen in non ideal locations for aliens..this leads to groups of aliens often being killed.
    Or as is often done down under, marines launch a push straight to aliens hive and base rush the aliens (easy egg locks), now whether they end up taking down the hive is not the issue...its the lack of spawning ability for aliens and the benefit the marines get from this tactic.
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Slow on land for Marines depends now on impact velocity (jumping on crates won't slow you down)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Strange behavior, if you fall down from few meters with jumping before falling you will be slowed to move forward when hitting ground (make sense, because you hit the ground after un jump). If you just fall down by running (no jump before the fall) you got 100% like you have been on a flat terrain.

Edit : Also, i may have missed it, it could be cool to have a key binding for command console shortcut. We don't all have QWERTY keyboard :p
  • salorsalor Join Date: 2004-02-21 Member: 26771Members
    Good luck to the 15 teams that are playing this build on the Tournament tomorrow...a good couple of hours practise on the new patch before playing it competitively. LOL
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for fixing the z-buffer issue! That bothered me to no end!

I guess I didn't pay attention, but do marine buildings still visually construct the same way they have always been? For example, the commander drops whatever unit that appears as a ghost, then it immediately materializes when built. It would be pretty neat to have a progressive materialization of the texture much like marines do now when spawning -- it looks pretty nifty.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    did the optimizations yield any fps increase?
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1990031:date=Oct 12 2012, 12:27 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Oct 12 2012, 12:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990031"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->did the optimizations yield any fps increase?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I dropped from a peak FPS perspective...but increased in combat (and was noticeably smoother).
    So when I didn't have r_stats on I actually thought my fps was better than it was.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1990021:date=Oct 11 2012, 07:20 PM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ Oct 11 2012, 07:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990021"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am at a loss.....

I guess if I want to actually enjoy the game I will play marines...when I feel like repeatedly running long distances only to be 1 shotted and battle fruitlessly I will play aliens. Sorry but your making playing aliens as enjoyable as a prostate exam.

...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Plus Arms lab is now cheaper.

I definitely agree. Aliens are not fun at all to play any more. I haven't played in the last build or two (since the lerk flight got nerfed) because it's just not fun to play on either team (aliens are impossible, marines are too easy). It's too bad for these upcoming tournaments too. I'll be skipping this patch as well, but I have faith in UWE. I'm sure it will improve. :)
  • havok?havok? Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152462Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Why can't I shadow step vertically anymore?
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Balance

•Upgrading Robotics Factory cost reduced from 20 to 10.
    •ARC cost reduced from 20 to 15.
    •ARC build time reduced from 20 to 10.
    •Tweaked melee base width. This requires all melee to be a bit more accurate (notably: Skulks).
    •Removed "emergency" egg spawning (now always 7 seconds instead of 10 when there are no eggs). When calculating the spawn time for an egg, use the # of eggs that currently exist, not the # that haven't been assigned to a dead Alien.
    •Lowered time to evolve Hive to Crag/Shade/Shift Hive from 30 seconds to 20.
    •Lowered Arms Lab health by 12%. Lowered build time from 19 to 17.
    •Increased Hive grow time from 120 seconds to 150 seconds.
    •Increased Shift health from 400 to 500.
    •Increased Onos charge energy cost to 40, up from 22, per second (cooldown remains at 1.5 seconds)

Change

•Slow on land for Marines depends now on impact velocity (jumping on crates won't slow you down)
    •Made Marine movement a bit more responsive.

Improvement

•The server will now end the game if the teams are too unbalanced. This can be configured by the server admin. It can be toggled and the unbalance percent can be changed (defaults to 40% unbalanced).
    •Toothy's delight, smooth player movement.
    •Added "maxfps" console command.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All good changes!

I especially like the increased responsiveness on marine movement and change to marine jump. (i'm still at work, so I haven't tried it. Can anyone comment on this???)

Maxfps was long overdue, thank you!!!

Onos charge nerf, longer to build 2nd hive, decreased upgrade time for crag/shade/shift and tweaked melee base width on skulk. This should shake the meta game substantially.

I personally don't feel this solves the aliens meta game problem in comp as 2 hives is still the requirement against good marines. UNLESS their is walljump back in the game????
  • SquishyOneSquishyOne Join Date: 2005-01-11 Member: 34963Members
    Ok, there are a lot of things to like about the direction this game has been going overall. The build feels cleaner, and the spawn system is a bit better.

That said, who makes the balancing decisions? They are inexplicable. Make skulk bite more difficult while increasing marine speed? That's what this game needed?
    And of course, as always, the biggest balance issue at the moment is marines having far more mobility than the aliens. Aliens absolutely must get some way to move from hive to hive more quickly. These maps are ginormous (not necessarily a bad thing) but when you give marines phasegates and aliens a whole lot of nothing the big maps are overwhelmingly to marine advantage.
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1990021:date=Oct 12 2012, 12:20 PM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ Oct 12 2012, 12:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990021"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tweaked melee range...yes because with all the recent FPS improvements marines are finding it tougher to kill skulks....dont know where you see this happening but not on any servers I play on.
    Its bloody hard enough to bite a marine as it is...with them jumping all over the shop shooting at their feet...again you punish the skulk that has successfully managed to get within striking distance.

We now have cheaper and faster to build arcs....they where already starting to make it back into play on aussie servers...back to the great arc trains on old I guess.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Skulk bite was ###### stupid last patch. It needed a major nerf, no one was ever missing bites. If you were missing bites it says more about you as a player then the game itself. Myself, scatter, and a few of the other comp players in australia all thought bite needed a major nerf.

The skulk should not auto win just cause he managed to get in close... aiming your bites was a very important ns1 skill

TBH, I'm the only one building arc's to ###### around in pub games on the aus server. I'm yet to see anyone else do it... This will make ARC's must more useable and less punishing if you loose them.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1990001:date=Oct 12 2012, 04:55 AM:name=Flamingo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flamingo @ Oct 12 2012, 04:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990001"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->New. Clog. Model. :><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Quite nice, but more importantly:
    You can now see your own spit as gorge as before it got broke.
  • Jed142Jed142 Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162023Members
    Hi ,

Sorry but PLEASE revert changes made to the map!

1. font is ugly: bold? highlighted?
    2. font gets in the way of structures/units?
    3. eye sore.
    4. looks like the font has been squashed horizontally.

:( :(

I use the map soo often to understand what is happening in the game, but now sometimes i cant even see units because the font is blocking it.

Is the change to make the map LESS reliable?? as in more realistic in that whatever map you're checking in the actual game has the areas imprinted over the top of it sort of thing..

I loved the old map!!! (it took a big to get use to the names n stuff)
    But I beleive that seeing where your units are is much more important than seeing what area is what... people will get use to what area is what as time goes on. however people always need to know whats going on and where ###### is over the map. think of mini map/map in rts games?

please please please change the map back to how it was!

side note: server browser is well done thanx for that!!<3
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1990035:date=Oct 12 2012, 04:32 AM:name=havok?)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (havok? @ Oct 12 2012, 04:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why can't I shadow step vertically anymore?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can still shadow step downwards. They buffed blink again, so I guess I can live with it.
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    We have also noticed a problem on placing building on clean shape. Now that the com as the ability to put the blue print even on infestation.. we see it is harder to delimit the infestation area.. the com placed the building on a quite clean (and very cute) ground right outside the green slime.. but it was considered infested, so i can't build it and that is completly normal. But how the come should know if the game consider the place infested or not (slime is not enough as my exemple prove it)

Maybe the com should have something to trigger if it's on infested or not before he order to build something.. so he knows where to put it for marines to build quickly.
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1990037:date=Oct 12 2012, 12:42 PM:name=SquishyOne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SquishyOne @ Oct 12 2012, 12:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990037"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That said, who makes the balancing decisions? They are inexplicable. Make skulk bite more difficult while increasing marine speed? That's what this game needed?
    And of course, as always, the biggest balance issue at the moment is marines having far more mobility than the aliens. Aliens absolutely must get some way to move from hive to hive more quickly. These maps are ginormous (not necessarily a bad thing) but when you give marines phasegates and aliens a whole lot of nothing the big maps are overwhelmingly to marine advantage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Marines have no movement in combat, so not sure what you mean. Bites are easy mode to land for a good player

Sprint is another issue entirely...
    Explore mode broken too :(
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    maxfps only works up to 100 atm.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    More marine buffs and more alien nerfs. Really?
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1990052:date=Oct 11 2012, 09:01 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Oct 11 2012, 09:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990052"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->maxfps only works up to 100 atm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The game is hard-capped to 100 tick client-side anyway, that's probably why.
  • kais_4kais_4 Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157127Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    No mention of turret changes?? D:

The remaining changes look VERY good so far (Aside from making marines more agile...)

Love the new server browser!! Brilliant work!!
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1990064:date=Oct 11 2012, 11:32 PM:name=kais_4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kais_4 @ Oct 11 2012, 11:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990064"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No mention of turret changes?? D:

The remaining changes look VERY good so far (Aside from making marines more agile...)

Love the new server browser!! Brilliant work!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

im glad that you like it! turrets will be changed in 223
  • LapichonLapichon Join Date: 2005-01-17 Member: 36035Members
    Fixed bug where no name was displayed when a player had the name "Natural Causes" and fell down into a death trigger.

--> I loved that!