Natural Selection 2 News Update - The Guru Beta Tournament

Comments

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Every caster has their own style which is why it's great NS2 has more and more casters.

And you can always set up your own channel.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    WOW OMG, WIRY.... I CANT BELIEVE IT.... HOW THE HELL IS HE DOING THIS.... FREAKING AMAZING! I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS SO EASY TO BE AN ASS!

seriously though.... yes we all have our own styles and oddly enough I asked for feedback and never saw your email, but yet you chose to poke at people in the forum. How professional or courteous of you.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    edited October 2012
    Sorry.

Oh, and I didn't mean to be an ass. There's just a whole lot of room for improvement, thats the point I failed miserably to get across. :>
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    its ok Wiry, as I said all of us are always working to be better and give you the viewers insight and feedback based on the comments you give us, so please dont hesitate to send some PMs and Emails
  • shadershader Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1985868:date=Oct 1 2012, 06:19 PM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ Oct 1 2012, 06:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985868"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry.

Oh, and I didn't mean to be an ass. There's just a whole lot of room for improvement, thats the point I failed miserably to get across. :><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Different strokes for different folks.

The Hugh/Wasabi high intensity style works really well for building an audience. Lots of people in those streams talking about buying the game and recommending it to friends.

The Blind/Ryne/Arclight style works well for people who know the game, but the new players who wander into those streams seem a bit lost.
    edited October 2012
    Hugh/Wasabi = World Cup Soccer craziness
    Blind/Ryne = US Football/NFL commentary.

IE, GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
    LLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* Nice, touchdown... wow, that was some great play, see how they do this.... arrows, circles, etc...

:) although I would like my casting with Hugh to start leaning a little more towards the later, or at least a nice balance.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1985891:date=Oct 1 2012, 07:20 PM:name=WasabiOne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WasabiOne @ Oct 1 2012, 07:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985891"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hugh/Wasabi = World Cup Soccer craziness
    Blind/Ryne = US Football/NFL commentary.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this seems about right & i agree with the critique.

the 'i don't believe what i just saw' and 'do you believe in miracles' moments should become rare and special.

even with that, i think your play by play and commentary is very good for the more casual segment like shader said. i also think both of you guys have superior voice talent.
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Is this only 1 day event? or 2 day?
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    If you need advice on casting please look at Day9. He is both very informative and has a HUGE following of new p layers.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2012
    The small tournaments are not just helping teamplay and tactics, it's also helping the Casters. They're learning more and more what works and what doesnt. Everyone is learning together.

For me, I actually watch Wasabi/Hugh's games livestreamed first for that high-intensity action and fun, then immediatly after watch Blind and Ryne's for a more in-depth stream and play-by-plays which go deeper into the tactics of the game.

I enjoy both equally for different reasons.
    This will be a two day event, Hugh is flying back from the UK as we speak and once he reviews the rules that I have laid out we will post for the teams to look over and ask questions. This will be a double elimination again, although Blinds RR has put the bird on my shoulder so maybe next time we will go for the RR.

Thank you again for the feedback everyone, it does help. I will check out Day9 as I have heard from a few people now to do so...
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    What is happening with the casting? I prefer to watch/listen to the blind/Ryne style (no criticism, just personal preference), will they be given the opportunity to stream the event?

If it's aimed at new people, instead of people interested in competitive NS2, that is fine with me. I just wanted to check before hand.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    SKULKS ARE RUSHING THE COMMAND CHAAAAAAAAAAAIR. AGAIN.

As much as I dislike many of the new mechanics, the excitable casting admittedly makes it a spectacle to watch.
  • ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    And again will I be allowed to record matches Wasabi or not? :)

I feel bad being left behind most of the times :\
    The main casters will be Hugh and Myself on twitch.tv/naturalselection2 but yes there will be a sub channel by Blind if available, also Ryne may or may not be casting with him depending on his schedule. Argathor, I appreciate your thought but as you say we are reaching to a wider audience of viewers, so that is why the style is the way it is. However; we will be making some adjustments to build in some of the types of commentary that blind and ryne tend to lean towards more in our stream as well.

ArcLight, I'm not in charge of that decision, but I will speak with Hugh about it when he returns. Its not a issue with me, the more videos the better.
    Thanks Wasabi, that is good to know. I do not have a problem with your casts, it is a great thing for the game and a fantastic way to drive excitement about the game in new players. It is just that one style cannot cover the community. I just wanted to make sure that other casters were not being blocked from taking part.
    Never! We strongly encourage more casting and 1st person streaming. As it has been said previously after the Wasabi Cup a lot of people went back and watched the alternate stream, including myself. Its really neat to see how somehow else examines the same thing you see. I would actually love to have up to 4 streams going during these cup/tournaments so we dont miss any games.
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Hugh is sending emails to teams confirming their sign ups, he is also looking over all he logistical items I put together, I want to get the rule set out to all of you asap....
  • ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    Since I can't get hold on Hugh, how am I standing for the tourney as caster then?

Hugh is like a nimble skulk when you need to talk to him.... pitty he does not play like one too ^_^
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1986728:date=Oct 4 2012, 12:12 AM:name=WasabiOne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WasabiOne @ Oct 4 2012, 12:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986728"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hugh is sending emails to teams confirming their sign ups, he is also looking over all he logistical items I put together, I want to get the rule set out to all of you asap....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We still haven't gotten any confirmation, just wondering if anything has been sent yet?
    8 days until tournament time. Updates today?
  • FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1987480:date=Oct 5 2012, 09:18 AM:name=bLink`)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bLink` @ Oct 5 2012, 09:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987480"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->8 days until tournament time. Updates today?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They started off so good with 3 weeks of notice and now 1 week away and there's no rules, format, etc..
    edited October 2012
    All seems a bit secret squirrel, or just disorganised!

At the moment clans will be practicing while not even knowing if they are in the tournament or not, this is crazy. If the aim really is to be big in professional esports, things need to step up big time.

<i>** and there are lots of us here to help you.</i>
    This tournament is professional.
    First off thank you again to all the teams that signed up, also thank you for showing up to the team meeting so we could hash out some rules adjustments and timings. Lastly, it takes a lot to organize an event like this and unfortunately a lot of logistics have multiple points of confirmation that dragged out the timeline farther than I'd have liked. It is always a work in progress and we will continue to make the process as easy and open as possible in the future. We are so lucky to have all these great teams and even more lucky that companies are starting to take notice and give all of you the prizes and spotlight you so richly deserve.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    It's still going ahead on the 13th Oct as planned right?
  • salorsalor Join Date: 2004-02-21 Member: 26771Members
    bumb

As mentioned above, is this still on for the 13th oct???
  • SkugganSkuggan Join Date: 2010-03-19 Member: 71017Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1989527:date=Oct 11 2012, 05:47 AM:name=salor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (salor @ Oct 11 2012, 05:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1989527"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->bumb

As mentioned above, is this still on for the 13th oct???<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

12 and 13 oct
    where's the bracket at? or website?