Fade Acid Rocket

zombiehellmonkeyzombiehellmonkey Join Date: 2007-08-31 Member: 62093Members, Squad Five Blue
<div class="IPBDescription">fun fun fun</div>The best long range alien weapon to counter most marine offensives <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGLcGLfg3d8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGLcGLfg3d8</a>

Comments

• rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Linking to a video of a hungerfade pubstomping in the BAD combat server is not a good way to argue for balance/acid rocket ;P xmenu is a completely broken mod, and combat is a completely different game mode.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I personally would love to see Metabolize back in action.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    Acid rocket? Nope.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Makes me miss 2-fade swipes at least (or 'easier' killing as a fade for that matter)
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    ...GOD i miss that speed.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    That video just makes me feel sorry for the marines. Xmenu was a stupid mod though.
  • zombiehellmonkeyzombiehellmonkey Join Date: 2007-08-31 Member: 62093Members, Squad Five Blue
    Screw balance, it was FUN! :P
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->Yeah, even if I never want to see anything that broken balance-wise in vanilla NS2, xmenu was damn fun sometimes if you can get past taking it at all serious.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gotta love that acid rocket, and that speed.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    Yeah i loved the acid rocket....
    It is what I would spend on ....
    when jet pack marines were causing trouble in hive rooms.
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    Acid rockets were a fairly good, hive three ability. Right now kharaa need another range attack tied to another class. That's good mid to end game. With the small aoe of fade acid rocket which also hurts marines. And gorge bile bomb, hugging a shift chamber for energy regen. Kharaa would have a more fluent time breaking marine turret spam.

As it stands right now the greedy fades all like rushing in and out swiping at rines. Vortexing every thing. Micro managing his energy so he can make it outs by the skin of his teeth. The whole time hes yelling at gorge bile bomb. Gorge has to grind. Fade now comes back and expects you to have energy to heal spray. Or heal spray him faster than possible. Even though he's standing on infestation, and he's got regen. At which point fade goes back in to be taken out by three shot gunners. And gorge soon to follow seeing as he can't out run them and can't mc nidus canal teleport back to hive out of that situation. Which he needed com support to drop the shift chamber any ways. Not to mention if a fight come up else were one gets left behind.

Now metabolize would only lessen one of them issues. But fade acid rocket. Could allow. Both gorge and fade to stay back a bit. Do hit and run and grind together. if marines push fade can d, gorge can heal and rines are crowde controlled. At the end of the day if fades needed some were else he will just bug out and leave gorge to die. It's even worse as kharaa com echos out the gorges crag and shift.

Lerks abilitys except spikes which are a little more than a nuisance are bound to his psychical location. As oppose to what they were in NS one ranged attack aoes.

Which brings me to skulk. Who was hella fast agile in NS one even if it broke hit reg.

So in NS one you had kharaa that could pick and choose their fight ranged safty slow grind, close comat high risk high reward, or flee live to fight another day. enemy only catching glimpses of them. Marines had to risk pushing and be the attackers.

Now you have a larger slower skulk, who's ment to be harder to kill as he's tougher.
    Gorge with next to no heal spray. But a boost in bile bomb range which doesn't kill rines. No counter to jp, no way to out run enemy, dies to a clip even heal spraying him self on infestation, with cara, and regen.
    A lerk that has mosquito bite spike range, dies to a well placed shot gun round, or two clips from semi confident players. Must put his life at risk to bite, doesn't hurt armor, and is a dot poison. Easily cured med pack armory. Umbra is lerk position based good to help him escape. Or to support others but at risk to him self.
    Fades blink swipes are reduced to down time regen hit and runs micro manage energy, where once he goes back into fight marines are already full health again respawned. The crowde control is nasty and can really turn the tide of battle. It's high risk high reward. At any point he runs out of energy he's dead. Only takes one extra swipe. And he doesn't have enough energy to escape.
    Then we have onos clearly a siege weapon. No range attacks. No counter for jps. If it wasn't for his class being able to soak up bullets long enough to take out a power node high risk high reward. And retreat. The tide of battle wouldn't turn.

So other than Rez. Rines have no reason to venture fourth, no high risk high reward. They can tech up and hit the I win button. If kharaa can't get to onos first. It's game over.
    If you make kharaa to melee strong marines get swarmed. No marines going to venture into a ambush he can't win. But if you keep pressure on him from range force him to make a choice. The game moves. Along.
    If turtleing isn't a free ride to a I win button. Be it arcs jp or exo's

So my vote is on fade acid rocket. It's also on
    Better heal spray, ranged spore, ranged spikes, ranged umbra, onos charge, gorge spit, Oc's doing effective damage, and a shift able to allow gorge at least to get out of there. Sounds a lot like NS one though

If you want a Aysmetric NS two version. I'll make some suggestions in my own thread.
  • zombiehellmonkeyzombiehellmonkey Join Date: 2007-08-31 Member: 62093Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1946600:date=Jun 25 2012, 08:37 PM:name=NEX9)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NEX9 @ Jun 25 2012, 08:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946600"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So my vote is on fade acid rocket. It's also on
    Better heal spray, ranged spore, ranged spikes, ranged umbra, onos charge, gorge spit, Oc's doing effective damage, and a shift able to allow gorge at least to get out of there. Sounds a lot like NS one though

If you want a Aysmetric NS two version. I'll make some suggestions in my own thread.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also the higher alien class (ie. fade and onos) don't have a ranged weapon, the lerk does, but nobody wants to shoot spikes like an exposed sitting duck with barely enough armour to take damage from a GL. In NS1, fade acid rocket made it more urgent for marines to leave the base and go on the offensive - which made a far more interesting game than the camping model of 209/210.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    In NS 1.0x the arrival of the first fade was signaled by a massive explosion, as all the mine-spam in MS simultaneously exploded due to the first acid rocket, and much chuckle-spam was had by all. Fun times.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1946610:date=Jun 25 2012, 09:55 PM:name=zombiehellmonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zombiehellmonkey @ Jun 25 2012, 09:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946610"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also the higher alien class (ie. fade and onos) don't have a ranged weapon, the lerk does, but nobody wants to shoot spikes like an exposed sitting duck with barely enough armour to take damage from a GL. In NS1, fade acid rocket made it more urgent for marines to leave the base and go on the offensive - which made a far more interesting game than the camping model of 209/210.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

Lerk spikes just can't do enough damage to faze a fully upgraded Marine Turtle. Sure you might kill a rine or two but another will just take his place and his weapon.
    And don't bother trying to fly through and spore or else you'll be fun of holes if they have more than 3 sentries.

Lately the only way to crush a locked down Marine base that have sentries, JPs, GLs, etc is to get at least 4 Onos to rush the CC. And just hope that in that time it took to cordinate the attack and wait for people to evolve that the rines don't have an Arc train waiting to drive out and kill all your hives.

Fade acid rockets were like a alien version of marine GLs. You were able to clear out an area from a far.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1946313:date=Jun 24 2012, 07:17 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Jun 24 2012, 07:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946313"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I personally would love to see Metabolize back in action.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Regeneration would need a heavy nerf hammer if that happens.

I too would like to see acid rocket instead of vortex.
    Vortex is no fun playing with, or against. It's just a delay with a fancy effect.
    Acid rocket would mean that fades will be able to harass/take down turrets on tier 3, without taking the risk of going in close for swipes.
    It would also help even out the battle against the jetpacks. But the swipe delay is a more important topic in that regard.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1946638:date=Jun 26 2012, 06:55 AM:name=Soylent_green)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soylent_green @ Jun 26 2012, 06:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946638"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In NS 1.0x the arrival of the first fade was signaled by a massive explosion, as all the mine-spam in MS simultaneously exploded due to the first acid rocket, and much chuckle-spam was had by all. Fun times.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think I once saw a CC blown to yellow health by such incident. Knowing the 1.0 era building HP, that must've been some sizeable chunk of dmg.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1946997:date=Jun 27 2012, 12:36 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Jun 27 2012, 12:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946997"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think I once saw a CC blown to yellow health by such incident. Knowing the 1.0 era building HP, that must've been some sizeable chunk of dmg.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm surprised the server didn't crash, from what I remember about server CPU usage and laser mines in particular.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1946600:date=Jun 26 2012, 02:37 AM:name=NEX9)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NEX9 @ Jun 26 2012, 02:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946600"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Acid rockets were a fairly good, hive three ability. Right now kharaa need another range attack tied to another class. That's good mid to end game. With the small aoe of fade acid rocket which also hurts marines. And gorge bile bomb, hugging a shift chamber for energy regen. Kharaa would have a more fluent time breaking marine turret spam.

As it stands right now the greedy fades all like rushing in and out swiping at rines. Vortexing every thing. Micro managing his energy so he can make it outs by the skin of his teeth. The whole time hes ................................................................................
    ................................................................................
    ................................................................................
    ..............................................................................<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    on your whole quote, your for acid rockets BUT aliens win most of the games anyway. So what your saying, along wth the better heal spray, etc. you are asking for the aliens to have even more of an advantage.

Acid rockets where cool but lets just stick with what the fade has already and giving them acid roctes will give them too many ablilitys
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    That video is ###### sick lol
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1947096:date=Jun 27 2012, 05:21 PM:name=ellnic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ellnic @ Jun 27 2012, 05:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947096"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->on your whole quote, your for acid rockets BUT aliens win most of the games anyway. So what your saying, along wth the better heal spray, etc. you are asking for the aliens to have even more of an advantage.

Acid rockets where cool but lets just stick with what the fade has already and giving them acid roctes will give them too many ablilitys<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And you are totally forgetting that the marines will get the exosuit with different weapons. And that the matches currently are close to 50/50.

I also agree that the acid rocket or something close to it should be come back. The damage doesn't need to be this high, just so that marines have to keep moving and cant keep standing still at a end of corridor, etc.

Oh and personally i hate vortex. Marines that run on purpose into the vortex so that they wont die.... and reload there... sucks balls...
  • SkiTSkiT Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152452Members
    edited June 2012
    try to vortex observatory when your friends skulks destroy the command station... or the phase gate when your friends skulks kill the power node.. Vortex it's good for teamplay.. personally i love it !
    <!--quoteo(post=1947668:date=Jun 29 2012, 06:37 AM:name=Nakorson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nakorson @ Jun 29 2012, 06:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947668"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh and personally i hate vortex. Marines that run on purpose into the vortex so that they wont die.... and reload there... sucks balls...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah that's kind of lame. Rines should get frozen while in vortex.
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1947698:date=Jun 29 2012, 08:09 AM:name=SkiT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SkiT @ Jun 29 2012, 08:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947698"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->try to vortex observatory when your friends skulks destroy the command station... or the phase gate when your friends skulks kill the power node.. Vortex it's good for teamplay.. personally i love it !<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well it hat good points but the problems it makes are bigger than its positive effects. It isn't even counterable if i'm right? Can't a fade camp the any building and just get into his own vortex and revortex the building all the time? Or isn't he affected by his own vortex? cant remember.
    <!--quoteo(post=1947701:date=Jun 29 2012, 09:27 AM:name=Nakorson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nakorson @ Jun 29 2012, 09:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947701"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well it hat good points but the problems it makes are bigger than its positive effects. It isn't even counterable if i'm right? Can't a fade camp the any building and just get into his own vortex and revortex the building all the time? Or isn't he affected by his own vortex? cant remember.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fade is not effected by his vortex nor can he go into it AFIK.
    <!--quoteo(post=1947704:date=Jun 29 2012, 08:35 AM:name=MiniH0wie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiniH0wie @ Jun 29 2012, 08:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947704"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fade is not effected by his vortex nor can he go into it AFIK.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But from another fade? 2 fades camping the same spot? ^^

Well but i did disable the ips in the marine base in a 210 game for a about a minute without problems. Both were close to each other so i did place the vortex and did blink out, blink in and place a new vortex.
  • JoracyJoracy Join Date: 2012-06-17 Member: 153367Members
    haha, I don't run into vortex's on purpose, but when I do get vortex'd I'm like "Sweet, time to reload mah guns and reposition my self". I think vortex can be extremely, extremely effective when used in a coordinated fashion with a team, to remove certain marines/structures while others are focused, but when you just randomly throw it around at anything that moves, it's probably not too useful.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1946610:date=Jun 26 2012, 12:55 PM:name=zombiehellmonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zombiehellmonkey @ Jun 26 2012, 12:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946610"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In NS1, fade acid rocket made it more urgent for marines to leave the base and go on the offensive - which made a far more interesting game than the camping model of 209/210.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And yet what actually happened is fades would find a 1px gap through a chicane corridor and acid rocket from far, far away. Marines couldn't chase down a fade because, first of all they'd have to run down 2 corridors to get to where the fade <i>was</i> at which point the fade could blink away. So the marines stayed in their base welding their structures and taking the occasional pot shots. It lead to epic stalemates.

Acid rocket was up there with devour for trolling capacity. Vortex is the new devour. Fade is my favourite lifeform, but it's embarassing.