Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 209

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 209 here

Comments

• TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Nice to see new stuff and the tempo change is lovely

But PT's should really voice up and say something :(

Shift upgrades are bit out of control.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    It says in the video at 1:50 that there is steam workshop in this build so we can auto download custom maps. But I dont see it on the change log.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Onos Stomp changes (sentry confuse, not affecting arcs or structures).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Trying to think of a reason why removing onos stun on ARCs is an improvement.

Unless they limit ARCs, ARC trains are going to get out of hand again.
  • RiCexEaTeRRiCexEaTeR Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71700Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    WOW I love this build! Thanks devs your hard work is always appreciated!

Time to play my terrifying pterodactyl skills
  • XeiZXeiZ Join Date: 2012-04-13 Member: 150384Members
    Celerity for some of the lifeforms feels too powerfull at the moment, need to play a few more rounds but onos seem to get away really easy with it and skulks are waaaaay too fast now, you dont even need walljump anymore you just run like some rabbit on crack into close combat range.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    nice patch except for "Fixed bug where shade ink was costing no energy". I was enjoying my eternal halls of darkness.. :(

Oh and thanks for letting us now bind kill to save time when we are about to be set upon by stomping onii.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1940334:date=May 31 2012, 03:14 PM:name=XeiZ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (XeiZ @ May 31 2012, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940334"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Celerity for some of the lifeforms feels too powerfull at the moment, need to play a few more rounds but onos seem to get away really easy with it and skulks are waaaaay too fast now, you dont even need walljump anymore you just run like some rabbit on crack into close combat range.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If a single bullet hits you, all that speed is lost.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Any chance the evolution menu can show what higher tier abilities have been researched by the commander? That would really help in timing when say I go fade (after blink is up) and so I don't have to have the comm constantly remind me what upgrades we have for each alien.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    alien commander actually has to debate on hive choice now! although it's the second hive. crag ia still first but now that shade has the hive sight upgrade it's made me think twice between that and shift in a few games. really loving the build. hoping to see the alien commander UI fixed next build.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    edited May 2012
    Celerity...oh how I missed it. Plays well and gives aliens a chance of getting down most passages to bite a marine.
    Having played a couple of games with celerity 1st it seemed to be a reasonable trade off against cara.

I think the lerk bit could be bit OP'd with the bite, it seemed to take me out really quickly but I could also just be really ###### as didn't find the same level of success when I tried it as alien.
    I think perhaps that the bite should be upgrade an spike default (as oppossed to 2 melee options by default).
    I saw in other thread that umbra will be ranged in next patch, always thought it made more sense for umbra to be bombed and spores ranged.
    As a lerk there is not a lot of point in sitting back an using umbra as you cant offer any other help (not going to see a lot of lerk spike research) it makes more sense to try to get in close and bite the IP's, RT's etc so having umbra bomb as your trying to flee makes sense, as a fleeing lerk I want something to come out as rear defence not forward defence (unless I can somehow fly backwards really fast).

Already noticed fewer GL's which is a good thing, its a harder choice to justify and requires team work to stay alive.

As others have said...Thanks for fixing the server browser I no longer spend 80 seconds waiting for the list to update.

Edit - One thing that would be good with the echo upgrade is if it acted like the old movement chambers and allowed aliens to quickly move between hives.
    The marines already have JP's and phases, allowing aliens to move quickly between hives needs to be addressed, celerity is not the sole answer.
    Perhaps make the transport have a high energy or maybe even low P-res cost to use each time.
    Do like the hive sight on infestation upgrade option with the shade hive
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1940309:date=May 31 2012, 04:34 AM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ May 31 2012, 04:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940309"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice to see new stuff and the tempo change is lovely

But PT's should really voice up and say something :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just so people are clear, the PTs give opinions via about 5 different methods of communication. Just because something makes it into a patch, or is not the way some members of the community want it, does not mean the PTs have not said something about it. Chances are we've already debated it for days/weeks at a time. We are only helping to devs shape the game into what they want, it is after all, UWE's game.

Hope people are enjoying 209!
  • ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1940315:date=May 31 2012, 06:17 AM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ May 31 2012, 06:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940315"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Trying to think of a reason why removing onos stun on ARCs is an improvement.

Unless they limit ARCs, ARC trains are going to get out of hand again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I see you havent tried gorge bile lately didnt you? It just devastates arcs now... full energy bar for arc, splash radius so train down in a jiffy
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Nice patch. Shift upgrade seems a bit overpowered, and marines seem a bit helpless until they get arc trains though. Aliens seem to be structure spamming more than usual.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1940350:date=May 31 2012, 03:13 AM:name=ArcL!ght)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcL!ght @ May 31 2012, 03:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940350"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I see you havent tried gorge bile lately didnt you? It just devastates arcs now... full energy bar for arc, splash radius so train down in a jiffy<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have actually. It's a mixed bag for me, but ARC spam still needs to be addressed. Have Marines defend the ARCs with jps + gls and gorges won't make short work of them.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice patch. Shift upgrade seems a bit overpowered, and marines seem a bit helpless until they get arc trains though. Aliens seem to be structure spamming more than usual.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not going to be surprised if Celerity's speed is reduced, but Hyper-Mutation is a gimmick/cheeses the game (not exactly overpowered by any means). Which structures? Cysts? Already quite spammy, haven't really noticed any other increase in other structure usage.
  • serpicoserpico Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pros:

unchained abilities
    early clogs
    lerk bite
    celerity
    separate grenade launchers

LOVE all of these changes

Cons:
    mostly just things i have complained about in other builds that are still there, and the placeholder effects are making my eyes bleed, but I'll endure.

Other than that:

hypermutation - weird, out of place with other upgrades, not as useful as other upgrades

it's too much of a meta-ability. every other evolution augments your lifeform, but hyperevolution augments the player's ability to switch between life-forms. Also each of the other upgrades solve a simple, identifiable problem that a player might be having during gameplay:

I die too easily
    I retreat to heal too much
    They see me coming
    They hear me coming
    I arrive too late

what does hyperevolution solve?

I..... am the wrong lifeform too often?

I guess I've felt that way occasionally, but no where near as often as the other 5.

I haven't used it all that much yet, so I may be wrong, but I'm pretty skeptical of it for now.

Other than that, great works guys, this build seems to be a big improvement so far.
  • KrovakonKrovakon Join Date: 2012-05-20 Member: 152332Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1940354:date=May 31 2012, 03:51 AM:name=serpico)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (serpico @ May 31 2012, 03:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940354"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pros:

unchained abilities
    early clogs
    lerk bite
    celerity
    separate grenade launchers

LOVE all of these changes

Cons:
    mostly just things i have complained about in other builds that are still there, and the placeholder effects are making my eyes bleed, but I'll endure.

Other than that:

hypermutation - weird, out of place with other upgrades, not as useful as other upgrades

it's too much of a meta-ability. every other evolution augments your lifeform, but hyperevolution augments the player's ability to switch between life-forms. Also each of the other upgrades solve a simple, identifiable problem that a player might be having during gameplay:

I die too easily
    I retreat to heal too much
    They see me coming
    They hear me coming
    I arrive too late

what does hyperevolution solve?

I..... am the wrong lifeform too often?

I guess I've felt that way occasionally, but no where near as often as the other 5.

I haven't used it all that much yet, so I may be wrong, but I'm pretty skeptical of it for now.

Other than that, great works guys, this build seems to be a big improvement so far.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->It would seem to me that Hypermutation is designed to allow Aliens to quickly adapt to any situation they have to deal with.

IE If you're a fade and there's an infantry rush on your hive you can quickly eliminate the marines, then quickly swap to gorge and repair all the damage they just did. Then go right back into fade extremely quickly and with no res lost. While i could see it being a bit gimmicky, I personally dare say it borders the line of being overpowered.

Then again I don't believe it'll be any problem in Pub games, but I predict it will shine in competitive games.

It will allow one alien to literally do everything within a 5-10 second window. You'll no longer be forced to carefully choose your lifeform based on the specific needs. You can be that lifeform and when it has outlived it's usefulness, you can simply become something else with no penalty.

Instead of having to save up res for an onos, you can go fade, kill marines while you wait for 25 more res then go onos.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Only prob with hypermutation is the fact that you can currently just evolve that, then switch 2 fade/gorge/whatever, evolve back then get your cara/celerity and remove hypermutation.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Awesome stuff this patch:

-Reduced skulk air control (THANK YOU!)
    -lerk bite
    -Individual alien tier upgrades (this helps a bit with tech explosions as the fades/onos might not have blink/stomp right away)
    -Gorge bile bomb (again, THANK YOU)
    -the new GL

Critique:

-Still a full 25 starting p-res :( way too much
    -Celerity seems a bit much like others have said, but I like the idea of it. Just too fast atm.
    - Aliens seem to have lost their slow, expanding, "ever evolving" feel imo. No second hive needed to advance in the tech tree, and now there's no augmentation and the hive matures so fast it's not even noticeable. I dunno, the aliens just feel like a "research this" type thing now instead of a fluent, evolving entity. Not a big deal as the changes were a good step for balance though.

Need to play more, might add stuff later. Definitely a beefy patch though.

That Dev Chat.....pink beards and memes, was not expecting. I almost died laughing, +1 to whoever was photoshoping those.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    i like this patch, please keep up the great work :)
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Added Poison Bite to Lerk (Lerk Got <b>Her</b> Bite Back). Spikes are now a researchable upgrade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OMG, the Lerk is now officially female? How cute! /)^3^(\ Rule 34 plskthx
  • Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Love the Kharaa changes! Can't wait to play around with hyper mutation and khammander during gathers! Damn exams taking my attention...
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    Stomp not affecting ARCs? Why? That was mostly the only adequate counter attack for ARCs and with the bombard radius down to 3.... I dont understand this at all.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1940374:date=May 31 2012, 06:32 AM:name=Security)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Security @ May 31 2012, 06:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940374"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OMG, the Lerk is now officially female? How cute! /)^3^(\ Rule 34 plskthx<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh God why...
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nearly everything on the patch notes sounds really nice. Can't wait to test it today.
  • Jer9-CarverJer9-Carver Join Date: 2011-02-07 Member: 80728Members
    Celerity is pretty cool, I remember a guy going all "Whooooooo, this is amazing! whooooo!" xD
    I also think that the GL is standalone now is a good thing. It used to be a straight up upgrade from the normal rifle and now it's actually a decent trade-off weapon.
    The lerk bite is nice, though I was confused because, when I use spores the mouth disappears. It made me think that I had to re-equip the lerk bite. It also feels like that the bite comes back too late after using my spores. But, overall there are some nice new changes in this build! ^^
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Amazing patch, well done
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1940342:date=May 31 2012, 02:20 AM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ May 31 2012, 02:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940342"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I saw in other thread that umbra will be ranged in next patch, always thought it made more sense for umbra to be bombed and spores ranged.
    As a lerk there is not a lot of point in sitting back an using umbra as you cant offer any other help (not going to see a lot of lerk spike research) it makes more sense to try to get in close and bite the IP's, RT's etc so having umbra bomb as your trying to flee makes sense, as a fleeing lerk I want something to come out as rear defence not forward defence (unless I can somehow fly backwards really fast).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was thinking this as well, but forward umbra will provide some cover for making a spore run into & through a populated/fortified area - esp. if supported with add'l ground units during the strafing run. worth a test.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1940392:date=May 31 2012, 01:49 PM:name=jbaker8935)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jbaker8935 @ May 31 2012, 01:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940392"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was thinking this as well, but forward umbra will provide some cover for making a spore run into & through a populated/fortified area - esp. if supported with add'l ground units during the strafing run. worth a test.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Plus, if it works like the craig umbra, you have to fly through the cloud to get the benefit. It does nothing if the bullets simply pass through. So you can projectile the umbra right in front of you while fleeing and get the benefit immediately.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1940309:date=May 31 2012, 05:34 AM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ May 31 2012, 05:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940309"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But PT's should really voice up and say something :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We do, but sometimes it goes through, and this is where public feedback is very important.
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Looking good!

Cheers, UWE chaps!

I'm a bit disappointed Hugh's table concept hasn't made it in game yet.