Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 206 released

Comments

• GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1930332:date=Apr 26 2012, 01:32 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Apr 26 2012, 01:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930332"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But what about the middle ground goldilocks? If the timing is right then it will mean if marines push at the right time they can kill the eggs and win, but not too long that aliens are waiting for ages. I also don't think you'll see aliens suicide to try and defend the hive because of the eggs, you are much more vulnerable when spawning from an egg and if the hive runs out then you won't be able to spawn at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Of course if you manage to find the perfect middle ground that would be awesome but I having hard time seeing that timing. Marines need around 10 sec at least to get into postition so that means they will need to kill the initial skulks and at least 1 wave after that before getting into postition, that will probably take 3-5 sec. then you have X time to kill the hive before the next spawn arrives.
    But its true that I have not calculated the egg factor into the spawn but would anyone want to wait the 2x or 3x the wave spawn length because of lack of eggs? Lets say there is 1 marine spawncamping the hive and keeping the eggs down, would only 1 skulk spawn every 20 sec? If so I would prefear the old system. Would love to get some confirmations on this.

About kill in console, there are many moments in the game where you are not worried about eggs, there are also few moments where you just finished of a marine rt defenders and see marines going for a rt on the other side of the map. If I know that i spawn closer to hive in 4-5 sec at that moemnet I would defenitly suicide and to defend my rt. This might not be a common thing to do but it is possible.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro-->++ game hasn't crashed once so far!

+ goo wall is fun and gives gorges a chance to defend an area along with hydras. Would like if it was a bit transparent, and absorbed grenades.
    + new mine model is perfect, harder to spot than place holder
    + harvesters taking longer. I was gorge and worked with comm on where I should go and help build them.
    + longer lifespan for rag dolls looks good.
    + power packs are great for variety and unique strategies<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#9932CC--><span style="color:#9932CC"><!--/coloro-->- Onos charge. Cannot work out what it does or when it has hit something. I, and others, use it as a quick OP escape movement.
    - still serious bug where bile bomb goes through any wall if its aimed where 2 surfaces meet. Its been reported weeks ago and its still there in all the maps.
    - Whips hitting grenades is bugged, it works through walls.
    - aliens dont need a 2nd hive to get upgrades, they can wait and eventually get bile bomb with 1 hive and then push marines back
    - bile bomb too powerful, should quickly expire when welded or hit by flames.
    - hydras are pretty pointless in mid-late game. I'd like to see an upgrade to make them effective sentries.
    - flame-thrower needs buff against infestation

-- all aliens can evolve at once to onos and rush the cc, nothing marines can do even with sentry spam.
    -- Sentry spam has not been addressed.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1930295:date=Apr 26 2012, 09:24 AM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Apr 26 2012, 09:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930295"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Obviously at times the feedback may come off as insulting or rude or whatever, but for the most part any constructive post about ideas on how to change or improve things is met by trolling and ridicule from the other half of the community, leading to the rage posts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No.. rage posts happen without anyone defending, read every post in this thread to confirm that for yourself. Also there are plenty of threads where an OP is raging, by no fault of "the other half"

<i>"Don't take the insults as personal attacks, take it as frustration from a player, a player that really wants to enjoy and play this game."</i>
    Some people need better social skills if they believe that personal attacks help their point to be heard / absorbed.

<b>Bottom line:</b> its unnecessary and not needed. A couple posts of objectively written, thought out and logical arguments void of any personal attacks would be far more heard and paid attention to than <i>thousands </i>of rage posts with personal attacks.

I truly think some people should just wait for 1.0, take a break for a little bit, as some cant seem to help play<b> a game</b> that infuriates them. Its odd to watch.
  • Unknown_SoldierUnknown_Soldier Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6395Members
    edited April 2012
    Been trying to play Lerk for the past few hours but it feels like you're flying at the pace of a snail now. Too much QQ from Marines who never bothered trying to play Lerk, or when they did they didn't understand why they died so much.

Last build you were rewarded as a Lerk for your map awareness, map knowledge, and control of the flight model. This build you're punished for going anywhere near marines.

Combine that with the Onos being able to be kited by a single Marine now and Blink... and I think I might skip this build.
  • 3del!3del! Join Date: 2009-05-11 Member: 67386Members
    I'd like to propose (without having played the build yet :D), to make hydras independent from the gorge who built them, once he decides to play another class. So if you have 2 gorges build 6 hydras on one hive, one gorge goes fade, and another player who just died as fade goes gorge, he is allocated the "free" hydras. Just a thought i had, to keep the gorge buildings from costing resources and still have the gorge be able to use his p.res without them dying.

Concerning all the rage, i think people should point out mistakes made in NS 1, and how they were resolved over time (Just htink about the first implementation of the fade in NS1 and NS2). But i don't agree with the thought of removing all additions and changes in NS 2 because of that, as some are suggesting. When UWE announced, that they would not make a NS:Source, i was quite raged, since i knew it would take a looong time to create a sequel, and i also thought NS 1 was perfect. But looking at how all Sourcemods are doing and where doing from early on, i'm happy they didn't waste time on that. Also, just think about how bad everybody playing NS1 wanted to have Flamethrowers. Even though they are not where they should be gameplaywise quite yet, i wouldn't want to miss them.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I actually respect the <b>people</b> in UWE alot. Their well meaning and pretty open to feedback even though they sometimes put out changes which show their kinda out of touch with their game cough.

I read through the entire thread again and there were like only 2 maybe 3 posts that were verging anywhere near being <b>personal attacks</b> or insults. A complete minority...
    Besides that, I don't see what the big deal with the 'rage' is about as long as their coming from a rational place. Most of it was rage directed towards this frankly silly build and its good to know that UWE feel the same way about b206.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2012
  • NasderoNasdero Join Date: 2008-11-11 Member: 65423Members
    Ive got just a few things to say but i hope the devs will read it!

1. its ###### lame to rage here and become personal comon childs grow older!

2. i played the 206 now 4 hours and im usually payed all builts (i play about 12-20 hours NS2 a week)

2.1. the build is not bad, i havent seen any lame wall from gorges and the sever was full (16 players)
    2.2. i somtimes have an issue that randomly the games becomes laggy for 10-20 seconds and then runns smooth for 10 minutes happen all the time as commander aswell as on the field.
    2.3 in lategame and midgame the lerk is totally overpowered half alien team goes lerk to exploit that gg for marines...
    2.4 onos feels right we killed a lot of them, fade feels right! (some people claimed on the severs fade was op i dont think so)

3. <!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->PLEASE DEV TEAM!!!!<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> Nevermind balance right now (its beta comon) work on other things!!! balance becomes important as soon as exo and minigun are in but before, you just need to readjust it later again!!!!

4. keep on the good work and when can we see some more community maps???
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes the personal attacks are unneeded, so that goes for both sides. I have seen too many other forum posters that always side with UWE attacking competitive players, and yet you wonder why people start to get frustrated? Or should i go dig up some posts from the old bunnyhopping threads? Obviously some issues are things people with never agree upon (like bhop), but that doesnt mean it cannot be discussed in a civil manner, and it was many times by old competitive players, and it always descended into hate.

I dont see how you can say that there has been no response from the 'other half' when these comments have been going on for quite some time now, not just in this thread.

And regarding well thought out posts and comments, look at Grissi's document, how much attention has that received? Any? Many just people trolling saying that if you want NS1 go play it.

I think most people that post here respect UWE, and want the best for this game. Honestly ive been looking for another high skill team based game to play since NS1 died, i would love for that to be NS2.
  • DualSightDualSight Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72909Members
    I feel like the game is so broken right now...

Why is it that NS2 can't be the same like NS1?
    edited April 2012
    I forgot one thing

Please change the new cloaking material effect it looks like everything is burnt ash.

And the fire material effect continues even when the structure its on has died, so you see a flaming ghost ^^
  • Evo303Evo303 Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149199Members
    Nice patch overall i think :)

Couple of little things that bug me:

<!--coloro:#A0522D--><span style="color:#A0522D"><!--/coloro-->- Gorge bite hit sound is too loud and doesn't really sound anything like what i imagine a bite to sound like. Ideally i'd change the sound, but simply reducing the volume would be good enough i reckon.

- Marine tracer rounds feel flimsy and looks too slow - it feels like i'm shooting a low power .22 rifle. Sometimes the tracers even feel as if they're coming from behind me. It actually 'felt' better to me without tracers at all.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Also, i assume the clog model is a placeholder? It looks a little low poly, not very 'alien' and clips a lot :(

Finally, I really hope to one day see the 'proper' dynamic infestation making an appearance - the current infestation just doesn't look very dynamic. Fingers crossed for 1.0? :D
    From what I can see the Clog model is just one of the blobs which have been part of infestation in recent builds.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1930399:date=Apr 26 2012, 08:27 PM:name=Evo303)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Evo303 @ Apr 26 2012, 08:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930399"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, i assume the clog model is a placeholder? It looks a little low poly, not very 'alien' and clips a lot :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, Clog model is just a placeholder. We would prefer to spend a good amount of time testing the feature out before spending additional time on making it look pretty.

--Cory
    Load of console error spam about Fade footstep sound
  • fenrir1179fenrir1179 Join Date: 2011-11-05 Member: 131263Members
    the clog... well, it's the hulk's chode after all.
    it's pretty fun...everyone can toss out a few hydras in even passing some cyst and a lone skulk can gorge somewhere outta reach and have a
    small fort and hold out for back up....
    it's just hard to make a good chode egloo before it gets shot down.

but you really feel more in the battle for gorges ..
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't know if anyone proposed this yet (sorry, can't be bothered to read 200 posts...), but I'd like to have infestation no longer expose marines as drifters are now meant to serve the scouting function. It would provide for more interesting gameplay, since "free" scouting isn't as interesting as having to place your drifters well.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1930440:date=Apr 26 2012, 11:00 PM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Apr 26 2012, 11:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930440"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know if anyone proposed this yet (sorry, can't be bothered to read 200 posts...), but I'd like to have infestation no longer expose marines as drifters are now meant to serve the scouting function. It would provide for more interesting gameplay, since "free" scouting isn't as interesting as having to place your drifters well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Saw this suggested before the patch hit, and yeah it sounds like a much more interesting way of providing khamm sight than infestation's always-on unavoidable effect. But it needs some proper thought and discussion, so... make a separate thread about it, I guess?
    <!--quoteo(post=1930263:date=Apr 26 2012, 05:26 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Apr 26 2012, 05:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930263"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Right, which is the problem. NS1 had res dumps like building a hive, spamming OCs, whatever. In NS2 if you're rich your only option is to go Onos, which maybe you don't want to do or maybe your team has enough of. Whatever it is, there absolutely needs to be a way for lower lifeforms to invest their money. Marines don't have this issue because they all want to buy the best equipment every life.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But that's what I was saying - you don't need to spend the res since it'll overflow, and in fact you downright <i>shouldn't</i> if doing so would make you less effective.
    In NS1 you wanted to spend it on chambers if you preferred to be Gorge, not because spending res is good, but because chambers are good.
    So, it might be a problem that Gorge structures are/aren't worth paying for as they are, but it's not really an inherent problem that players don't have anything to spend their res on if they don't want to make use of the other lifeform options.
  • KeeganderKeegander Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73005Members
    edited April 2012
    I feel that GLs are just too good. There almost no reason not to get them. I think they make sense as an upgrade to the lmg (aka personnel killer), but shouldn't have the added benefit of killing structures quickly. This is where the flamethrower should fit in. Make it debuff personnel but kill structures quickly. The would provide more of a unit feel and add strategy.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1930288:date=Apr 26 2012, 01:12 PM:name=GeENiE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GeENiE @ Apr 26 2012, 01:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930288"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think some people are forgetting something: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=113993" target="_blank">Beta guidelines</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, the people who are afraid to debate the real issues in this game and try to change the subject.

But seriously, even if there are good ideas in this patch, there were too many changes made at once. There were too many changes made at once in 205 as well.
    It's very obvious when a LOT of things are being tossed at the wall, and nobody is checking which ones stick. I hope you folks understand what I'm getting at, here.

When 99% of the posts are going to be about the res model and gorge changes, things like the lerk speed change (a band-aid as mentioned), skulk range and spawn times are going to be lost in the noise. You can't get meaningful feedback about half the changes going into the game if you put a big shiny new untested thing in every patch, and continue to design the game around that.

I suggest doing more in-house experiments with the playtesters, since nobody values the regular players' opinions anyway! It's also worth noting that a lot of people do not necessarily want more mechanics/abilities/visuals in the game, but instead want <i>better </i>ones. That doesn't have to mean frame rates, balance or anything in particular...striving for quality and simplicity should be the goal.

<b>What problem in the game do clogs solve?</b>

<!--quoteo(post=1930395:date=Apr 26 2012, 04:23 PM:name=DualSight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DualSight @ Apr 26 2012, 04:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930395"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why is it that NS2 can't be the same like NS1?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You will never get an acceptable answer to this. That includes all the people dedicated to posting "well thought-out arguments" or whatever's in style now.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited April 2012
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After a long time since Build 189, NOW BUILD 206 WORKS FINE !

THANK YOU MAX ! YOU FIXED IT :D GOOD JOB
    IT Works with Single CPUs :)

What about turning on PHYSICS+GPU for Nvidia Cards ? It is still CPU, so it makes engine heavy if you have a single core

I need a time to check it more :D

Regards
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    A few more things:
    1. The bullet tracer effect, as others have said, doesn't follow the first person view correctly. If I strafe or lag I can clearly see tracers starting from the side of me. This is really disorienting.
    2. THis may not have been a change in this build, but what's the deal with the registration of the rifle butt? Several times I have butted a skulk and seen the hit feedback on his body, but he immediately gets a bite out of me right after. I thought this was supposed to be impossible if they were stunned. Or does it only stun if you hit them upwards?
  • RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    I've had the skulk bite hit sound when hitting marines (the chomping sound) trigger when I clearly didn't damage the marine. This could have been lag, I guess, but is it possible that the sound is still triggering when the original (wide/far, 2+ builds ago, I guess) bite was there?
    <!--quoteo(post=1930471:date=Apr 26 2012, 07:14 PM:name=Rover)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rover @ Apr 26 2012, 07:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've had the skulk bite hit sound when hitting marines (the chomping sound) trigger when I clearly didn't damage the marine. This could have been lag, I guess, but is it possible that the sound is still triggering when the original (wide/far, 2+ builds ago, I guess) bite was there?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've had this more times than I can count. It sorta points to a lack of cohesion in the prediction, doesn't it?
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    I like the build *alot*, you've even got elodea shouting foul, personally I would take this as a good sign!

A good game is one people love or hate, eg: Counter Strike, Age of Empires, WoW, CoD ... polarised fan bases are not a bad thing in an accounting sense, at all.

Finally Marines win alot of games, I'd aim for 60% Marine wins upon release but thats just an opinion, I don't have any science to back that up.
    <!--quoteo(post=1930485:date=Apr 26 2012, 08:04 PM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Apr 26 2012, 08:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930485"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you've even got elodea shouting foul, personally I would take this as a good sign!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would take it as a sign that the people who are less easily convinced are being convinced.
  • twostrokertwostroker Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144573Members
    many good changes but aliens have gotten a advantage by my opinion now..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    alien team pushed whit gorges and blocked the entrance whit hydra and whip

faster than marine could build arc now

cornering marines
    edited April 2012
    Clog helps gorges stay near the front line, be more independent and gives them a defensive structure.

I think it brings NS2 gorge closer to NS1 gorge where the gorge could, by himself, place offensive and defensive structures.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2012
    Loving the new gorge, though they should consider giving clog without augmentation imo. At the stage it becomes available, there can already be GLs and ARCs on the field which counter it pretty hard. It would be more fun if you could get to play with it from early game on, to block/delay a marine advance in some areas. Give him a more powerful tool with the augmentation, to be in line with the other lifeform augmentations.

I also have to admit the onos change is a step in the right direction no doubt, though the issue of too early and too many higher lifeforms still persists.
    (Augmentation definitely needs some work, as does the starting p.res and/or p.res gain rate)
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited April 2012
    The biggest problem with this build is that alien com is in easy mode. Not needing drifters was a good move. You feel like a gardener and it just feels better too. However there are no roadblocks anymore for quick expansion. Cysts can be connected to one another even though they are not fully built (bug?)...which allows quick expansion and no real need for gorge. Then you can just plop down harvesters. I'd increase the time to build ALL alien structures across the board, to compensate for drifter travel time AND to make gorges actually needed for expansion. Only allow fully built cysts to connect infestation.

Making gorge structure free I think was a move in the correct direction, but it needs tweaking. The problem with it is the cost...especially compared to what marines spend. Marines need to pay 15 pres for just 3 mines that are easily avoided and taken out. While alien side only pay 10 res for a never ending battering of turrets, walls and a welder essentially. The increase to the structure cap per hive is too much. Gorges will build the majority of those structures on the frontlines, and frontlines don't always increase at the same rate as hive numbers. I think the cap increase should be progressively less with number of hives, since aliens can get ridiculous amounts of hydras late game that is just overkill. Example for hydras: +2 to cap for second hive, +1 for every other hive. Something similar for mini-cysts and goo walls.

There is potential for Goo walls. They can be fun to build up, but is time consuming(maybe allow to place the next 'blob" directly without need to fiddle through the menus). They are are easily taken out with GL though. They are pretty tame right now, I think they are a bit on the weak side. I would maybe even make them a bit resilient to grenade launchers (which would give them more of a niche), but VERY weak to flamethrowers (since FL fill the anti infestation gun niche...supposedly). Possible server performance might be the biggest issue with them.

Maybe its time to consider charging PRES for advanced alien abilities...such as leap, gorge structure building, blink, ect... This could act as the pres sink that is lacking on alien side. Right now choosing evolutions is ho-hum. Adding actual abilities would make it more interesting. upgrades from chambers remain free. A gorge could only cost 5 pres, but only comes with spit/heal. Structure building ability could cost an additional 15 res or so. Killing a Gorge will hurt the alien side that much more.