I hope I read this incorrectly

Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
"Get rid of power points too and just rely on the temporary ones? Much cleaner and doesn’t require aliens to go around chomping them in the beginning of the match. For another day..."
= NS2 design log

Get rid of power points?
They seem to be a beautiful component to NS2, a part of it, which is so atmospheric and different from NS1 and best of all, every other game.

Please, do not do this. I really enjoyed the old base bulding. Requireing powerpoints.
The power points are an incredible idea. Please, please, please keep it.

I wil update this later with more focused and less "emotional" thoughts

Comments

• RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    Yes, I too will be quite sad if power points just revert back into being NS1 turret factories again. The current powernode mechanic does feel like it has a huge amount of potential.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2011
    Might need a change where the DI disables them instead of chomping on them if this is even really a problem... Not sure what they mean with temporary ones, do they really tend to lose the powergrid all together...
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    its just brainstorming...
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    I think what they mean is the mobile powerpacks. So the whole base will start powered down I imagine, and you would have to build a power pack for each room you want to capture and hold.

I would be ok with infestation being the main way to take out power nodes, if infestation is easy to spread with alien backup. Also it would give gorges more importance as they would be able to cover the powernode with DI to disable it until the commander can connect a postule to it.

I still don't know about tying alien lifeforms and upgrades down to hives. If this happens, it will just repeat the problem of NS1 where it was pretty much impossible for an alien team to come back from one hive. There has to be a better alternative.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845866:date=May 13 2011, 04:59 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ May 13 2011, 04:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845866"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Might need a change where the DI disables them instead of chomping on them if this is even really a problem... Not sure what they mean with temporary ones, do they really tend to lose the powergrid all together...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This implementation could work, and would explain the need for a portable power-generator.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    I think the comment was saying not that the whole concept of power points be removed, but that rooms can only be powered by a buildable/droppable power pack. So aliens wouldn't have to kill them all at the beginning of the game (although there are other solutions to that issue), and that commanders could actually place the power point where they want to in a room, possibly increasing strategy.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2011
    I've been under the impression that this was the basic initial idea of DI vs Powergrid. Where the DI will disable the power nodes with the help of the commander or Gorge, while on the other hand the Marines can drive it back repairing/cleaning the powernode (making the DI recede) or perhaps use the flamer as backup tool...

And of course Doors vs DI...

And while the current implementation does kind off work, I'd rather see it go in that direction. This way players don't have to deal directly with the the task of chomping on nodes or setting DI on fire, instead they participate in tasks, which seem less "boring and more immersive/interactive/productive and stuffs :P"
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1845867:date=May 13 2011, 01:02 PM:name=Racer1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Racer1 @ May 13 2011, 01:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845867"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->its just brainstorming...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Fair point
  • ArchaicArchaic Join Date: 2008-03-30 Member: 64001Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845867:date=May 12 2011, 08:02 PM:name=Racer1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Racer1 @ May 12 2011, 08:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845867"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->its just brainstorming...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

but if we do nothing, that brainstorming becomes reality.

then i and others demand a refund for ns4.0 (as ns2 is rapidly becoming by what im seeing)
    Eh, no... Give Charlie a bit more credit than that, lol.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just want ns2 to be its own product. I love ns1, but ns2 has some great originality over its prequel, DI vs powergrid was one of these beautiful things in my mind.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Powernodes are a great idea, just needs better implemented.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    You could just make infestation kill power points, that way aliens don't have to kill them unless they're attacking somewhere.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1845890:date=May 13 2011, 04:58 AM:name=Archaic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Archaic @ May 13 2011, 04:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845890"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but if we do nothing, that brainstorming becomes reality.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nope, we brainstorm all the time.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    They're pushing innovation on quite a few areas of gameplay. I'm fine with sacrificing a few areas to make the rest thrive if that's necessary. Innovation is only good if you can pull it off as a meaningful part of the bigger gameplay picture, the last thing I want is a game with huge amounts of gimmicky innovation that doesn't go anywhere after the first 15 minutes of amazement.

Debate on which areas are a priority and so on is good of course.
  • Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
    i think its far worse that they want to make marines a camping bunch of stupid turret placers.
    i want marines to expand to !!! its about teritory controll.. and its stupid that aliens controll with buildings while marines ... yeah.. put sentries in? and stupid but awesome looking E-packs ? stupid ###### stupid ###### . BAM now you cant air my comment on the radios !
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    In my opinion, it kinda ruins the aestetics of the maps if every single room starts out being unpowered and emergency red-lighted.

The ability to repair nodes manually sorta cancels the skulk chomping, so doing either is kind of a short term solution since the other team can easily undo it.
    In the long term, a fortified base with turrets or a patch of infestation does the job.
    I like that with this scheme, players will have to learn the fine line of when to take out/repair nodes and when not to waste ones time doing so.

I think it would be fair if infestation disables power nodes, especially since the postules can be destroyed soon. On the other hand it would be cool if the portable powernodes has some sort of protection against the infestation, so forward armory pushes would not be crippled so easily
  • Squiffy101Squiffy101 Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62608Members
    So far, everything I've seen UWE do has been fine by me...happy to be part of this interesting experience of watching a game unfold before my eyes. Only posted a couple of questions, and in the early months posted errors.

But sadly, after Charlies latest scratch pad comments I really need to say something. PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE don't take away the strategic complexity of the game! I was never a fan of NS1 Combat and continued playing the original for years.

If you start to remove the upgrade structure, this game will go to sleep. I don't need another TF2, HL2 Deathmatch etc (don't get me wrong, great games but don't just clone them). I need what NS2 promised to be.

I'm 40 years old, I've been gaming since MUD online and I don't want to find myself joining a server to find it being played by mindless little gits constantly chattering over the mike and pumping music down the headphones, talking inane drivel to each other, as Counter Strike went. And belive me, you take away the strategy element and that's what you'll get. people who want to think a little will go elsewhere.

So, I can't stress it enough in text but UWE, please don't dumb this game down, stick with your original concept, tweak but don't dilute!!!!!!
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    edited May 2011
    I don't usually bother but you guys have got the whole game logic all backwards.

NS1 did not require marines to build several <i>bases</i> outside their main. It had no "power nodes". Go and try sitting in base with turrets in NS1 and see what happens. In NS1, marines do need to <i>expand</i>, they need to gather resources towers outside base and hold them. Because there were too many and they were spread out, farming them with turrets was not a viable option instead you needed tactics and pressure.

What you fail to realize, is that power nodes are nothing but <i>glorified RT's</i>, things that help you get better upgrades. But they are more <i>scarce</i>, which means turtling them is easier. Relying <i>less on power nodes</i> and more on res towers actually encourages <i>tactical versatility</i> instead of static warfare (=turtling). Marines have considerably less mobility than aliens. Trying to hold several res nodes, tech points and pressure at the same time is much more harder for marines than aliens.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But sadly, after Charlies latest scratch pad comments I really need to say something. PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE don't take away the strategic complexity of the game! I was never a fan of NS1 Combat and continued playing the original for years.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Incorrect analysis. The current NS2 tech tree is very narrow meaning there are less tech choices available for commander (less tactical versatiltiy), which means the upgrade path is more linear which is like NS1 combat. NS1 classic on the other hand, had much wider tech path from the beginning and no power node requirements, meaning the commanders had to make tactical decisions on which strat (Fast PGs, Fast UPGs, MT, 2 Shotguns?, Fast Adv etc) to do because of strong opportunity costs.

Getting rid of power points and emphasizing res nodes will likely be <i>less</i> dumbed down, <i>less</i> NS1 Combat and <i>less</i> static warfare.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Yeah, the tech points right now are pretty restrictive when it comes to strategical choises. Either they have to change quite radically or get removed.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845863:date=May 12 2011, 10:56 PM:name=Dictator93)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dictator93 @ May 12 2011, 10:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845863"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Get rid of power points too and just rely on the temporary ones? Much cleaner and doesn’t require aliens to go around chomping them in the beginning of the match. For another day..."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Here's a thought: couldn't the power just be out all over the map at the start of the round (without removing power nodes)? Hmm but then this turns into "Get rid of power points because it requires marines to go around welding them at the beginning of the match" :P

Well i doubt it would really be that bad due to the slow expansion of the marine team. On average marines would be repairing 3 nodes at the start of the map, and we have flashlights, and we have portable-power. Just make the porta-power units cheaper and quicker to build (while also capable of restoring room lights) and i doubt it would be a problem.

Maybe macs can function as porta-power also, just much shorter range. They really feel like something that marines should be able to order around (not just the commander)... go to the armory and buy a personal mac that you can tell what to weld. There the welder problem is solved xD. Macs need some super high-power flashlights on there heads, maybe a minigun also, and carry ammo + med packs to assist in combat! :)
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2011
    As long as power packs can affect the lighting in the same way as it does now, I don't mind the change. It would be a shame to see all the awesome lighting effects go to waste.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Just wanted to mention that, while the design log is a fun way to give you guys a look into the brainstorming side of the design process, it really should be taken as nothing more then that. Anything on there is always subject to change, and often has lots and lots of additional group conversation and debates at UW, both before and after Charlie writes down his brief thoughts on that document.

Its important to explore all options in the design brainstorming phase, and sometimes in some quick in game implementation, but I wouldn't get to upset over what you see on there, otherwise you guys might be having mini heart attacks every few days :)

In the case of power nodes, its pretty unlikely that they will be removed completely, however we are not satisfied with the current implementation and are exploring a variety of tweaks and changes that could make the gameplay around them better.

--Cory
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    It is possible to get rid of power nodes without getting rid of the power grid and lighting effects in several different ways.

What I'd like to see is that the infestation mechanic is extended so that the power level is triggered by infestation. The number of infestation patches required to shut down power in a room is mapper's choice. As infestation patches are added the lighting dims and flickers and after enough are added you go to red emergency lighting. The power grid can then be refined so that sections of hallway get their own power-grid even though they were not important enough to add a separate power node to fight over.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1845980:date=May 13 2011, 04:08 PM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ May 13 2011, 04:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't usually bother but you guys have got the whole game logic all backwards.

NS1 did not require marines to build several <i>bases</i> outside their main. It had no "power nodes". Go and try sitting in base with turrets in NS1 and see what happens. In NS1, marines do need to <i>expand</i>, they need to gather resources towers outside base and hold them. Because there were too many and they were spread out, farming them with turrets was not a viable option instead you needed tactics and pressure.

What you fail to realize, is that power nodes are nothing but <i>glorified RT's</i>, things that help you get better upgrades. But they are more <i>scarce</i>, which means turtling them is easier. Relying <i>less on power nodes</i> and more on res towers actually encourages <i>tactical versatility</i> instead of static warfare (=turtling). Marines have considerably less mobility than aliens. Trying to hold several res nodes, tech points and pressure at the same time is much more harder for marines than aliens.

Incorrect analysis. The current NS2 tech tree is very narrow meaning there are less tech choices available for commander (less tactical versatiltiy), which means the upgrade path is more linear which is like NS1 combat. NS1 classic on the other hand, had much wider tech path from the beginning and no power node requirements, meaning the commanders had to make tactical decisions on which strat (Fast PGs, Fast UPGs, MT, 2 Shotguns?, Fast Adv etc) to do because of strong opportunity costs.

Getting rid of power points and emphasizing res nodes will likely be <i>less</i> dumbed down, <i>less</i> NS1 Combat and <i>less</i> static warfare.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you! I agree with everything you said!
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1846059:date=May 13 2011, 06:19 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ May 13 2011, 06:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1846059"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thank you! I agree with everything you said!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Gotta agree, I made this thread full of sad emotions and conflicting desires. And this post put me to rest, thanks for the well thoughtout response!

And also thanks to cory for replying in this thread. Means a lot. I love UWE
  • [Spec]Ice[Spec]Ice Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98614Members
    I agree removing tech points for marines will not make them turtle. They will need to move out and gather rez and try and take over strategic points. I feel that the current tech point system actually feels more like a camp fest. BRING BACK 3 HIVES. BRING BACK THE UNIQUENESS of ZE TEAMS!
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    I can't believe everyone missed this obvious solution.

Make power nodes quick to destroy, but blow up and cause damage...about half to most of skulks health. Much less wasted munch time.

Skulks will think twice about attacking vital or non-vital power nodes. Is it worth it for the damage?
    Team effort works best.

Lerks or other long range units have the advantage of destroying them.

Repairing should still take much make longer than destroying them. Marines love to repair things.

Good solution???
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited May 2011
    I like KuBaN's idea better: One power node supports more than one room (i.e. more than just one or two structures).

Also, <b>some</b> marines love to repair things... I think I'd be more valuable killing enemies and taking territory, though.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1846004:date=May 14 2011, 01:11 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ May 14 2011, 01:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1846004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, the tech points right now are pretty restrictive when it comes to strategical choises. Either they have to change quite radically or get removed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think that tech point expansion should serve the same purpose as an expansion in an RTS: primarily economic.

That's why I propose that:
    <!--quoteo(post=1845686:date=May 12 2011, 09:50 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ May 12 2011, 09:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(discussed <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=113423" target="_blank">here</a> in depth):

* <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro--><b>Tech nodes only provide team resources only;</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <i>team resources are required for structures and researches (as they are now). Rename team resources to e.g. "technology".</i>
    * <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro--><b>Res nodes only provide personal resources only;</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <i>personal resources are required for life-forms, ammo/medpacks and equipment (as they are now). Personal resources already known simply as "resources", so no change.</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->