Development Blog Update - Hydra reveal

Comments

• yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1776801:date=Jul 3 2010, 01:11 AM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Jul 3 2010, 01:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looks great.

Do hydras also spread DI a little?
    At least I'd love to see DI spread in between hydras, when there are 3 or more close to each other.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree.

I think once widespread dynamic infestation is in NS2 will look much better.
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Nice! I like it and the hud seems greate!
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited July 2010
    While it looks very nice, the animation is not what I expected.

Personally I think the tentacles would look wonderful if they just drifted around most of the time, rather than being so active and animal-like.

Think more sea anenome and less angry rattlesnake.

Otherwise quite nice.
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1776804:date=Jul 3 2010, 12:31 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jul 3 2010, 12:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776804"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While it looks very nice, the animation is not what I expected.

Personally I think the tentacles would look wonderful if they just drifted around most of the time, rather than being so active and animal-like.

Think more sea anenome and less angry rattlesnake.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

On the facebook page, they mention that the "attention" part is because there's a marine structure around the corner. Ordinarily they wouldn't bounce around as much.
    <!--quoteo(post=1776805:date=Jul 3 2010, 07:34 AM:name=Ahnteis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ahnteis @ Jul 3 2010, 07:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776805"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the facebook page, they mention that the "attention" part is because there's a marine structure around the corner. Ordinarily they wouldn't bounce around as much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes I thought that might be what we were seeing, it is certainly possible that they do both.

Although for the active animation I would have thought less jerking around and more turning to look at the structure, with ripples moving up the tentacles while the heads stay relatively still. The idle could be just gentle directionless drifting.

Not that it hugely matters as I can likely alter it myself at a later point.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    I'm glad to see some of the fruits of your labors. I'm sure this was just a hastily made peak at the new hydra. More polish and info will be coming along shortly.

You've certainly set the bar high for the quality for all of the kharaa assets. I expectantly await watching DI expand across the spaces between some of the alien structures. Further info on the gameplay implementations will be nice to absorb as well.
  • SqueeboSqueebo Join Date: 2008-02-04 Member: 63580Members
  • PhlashPhlash Join Date: 2008-02-18 Member: 63674Members, Constellation
    Looks great!

but...

why the name Hydra? I know NS is heavily influenced by Starcraft, but that's a pretty blatant name ripoff. I'm sure you guys could come up with something original that's not in use by SC. I'm all for influences from good games but names are something that I don't think should just be ripped. Just my 2 cents.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I was kinda hoping that it would start building from a pile of goo rather than a miniature version of the building. Perhaps adding a second model on top that animates a splash and covers the early stages of the building before disappearing?
  • lillbrorsanlillbrorsan Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20060Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Some mighty fine progress, nice peek at the HUD and some Alien sounds, i like that building but its animation made me go O.o
  • aliasWarlordaliasWarlord Join Date: 2010-06-09 Member: 71999Members
    Very nice but i'd like to see them attacking too... i still wonder if alien structures can be build everywhere or only on the infestation :D
  • tanatos86tanatos86 Join Date: 2010-05-26 Member: 71860Members
    I really hope that this preview is an FAST FOREWARD version. Most of the animations run too fast!
    - the Gorge doesnt even spit the Hydra out, it just appeares at his position. Would be nice if it would look like he has to bring in some effort, like you actually can see him APPLYING THE TOWER SEEDS onto the ground.

- the growing animation looks nice, until the tentacles open the petals. It is so fast, that you cant even see them popping up. Additional, I would really love to see the mentioned GLOW EFFECT.

- what does the LAST ANIMATION mean? It looks like the Hydra is doing some kind of plant GYMNASTICS?!? I hope this is not the idle animation. In the Upadate, Flayra wrote that the Hydra would sense Marines and than turn its tentacles to look out for enemies. Makes perfect sense to me. The "gymnastics" animation doesnt fit to idle-, or alert animation.

I hope Im not to picky ;)
    Cya
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1776809:date=Jul 3 2010, 08:09 AM:name=Phlash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phlash @ Jul 3 2010, 08:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776809"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looks great!

but...

why the name Hydra? I know NS is heavily influenced by Starcraft, but that's a pretty blatant name ripoff. I'm sure you guys could come up with something original that's not in use by SC. I'm all for influences from good games but names are something that I don't think should just be ripped. Just my 2 cents.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hydra is a real word. There's the tiny underwater creature you might not have heard about, and the Greek mythology version which you definitely should have. Now if they had called it a something-lisk, then you might have a point...

Video looks sexy, though the Gorge waddles at alarming speed. I think it's sped up?
    <!--quoteo(post=1776809:date=Jul 3 2010, 08:09 AM:name=Phlash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phlash @ Jul 3 2010, 08:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776809"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looks great!

but...

why the name Hydra? I know NS is heavily influenced by Starcraft, but that's a pretty blatant name ripoff. I'm sure you guys could come up with something original that's not in use by SC. I'm all for influences from good games but names are something that I don't think should just be ripped. Just my 2 cents.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seems like a pretty good name for a many headed tentacle creature.
  • kyliegirlkyliegirl Gorge Master Australia Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10586Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2010
    I like it alot, very animalistic and yet organic and plant like, really gives a feel for kharaa flora and fauna :)
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    Hmmm in this video I see that gorge is very apperent in the darkness beacuse of its orange light . Orange light
    should fade in darkness if it not moves. Offence Chamber was much more stronger, those were like thorns in
    my garden which makes it weak because of its small spikes.

BTW Where is my enhanced Spark Editor ?

I think I need Build 160 or more .
  • SnoopieSnoopie Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70600Members
    edited July 2010
    I like it but its quite a change from NS1. Will have to definitely get used to it.

Gorges will no longer be able to hide behind the chamber to heal during a firefight and protect itself. The offensive chambers compared to the Hyrda's have a semi blocking wall with it that would supply the gorge a shield during healing or just to block fire, but I'm hoping the AoE fire and marine alarm from the Hydra will compensate for that missing shield.

<i>I also don't see any way for these to stack either but that has to do with custom maps :P</i>
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    very cool, i like how it grows and planted, but did i miss the fade or?
  • FlashFlash Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1783Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One of the fun new features that has been added is that the Hydras can stick to surfaces, allowing the Gorge to place them on walls, and possibly even ceilings if he can find a way up there, which should allow for some sneaky strategic placement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As soon as I saw the screenshots I thought wouldn't it be cool if you could place them on walls and ceilings. Very interesting gameplay change!
  • eemeeeme Join Date: 2007-06-26 Member: 61383Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unlike the marine sentry turrets, which have a cone of fire<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If NS2 happens after NS1 and the marine equipment (and aliens) have been upgraded, why are sentry turrets worse?
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    They're a lot stronger. Kind of like the TF2 sentry, in that it actually denies access to the area rather than just being a weak damage-over-time effect.
  • SlatoxSlatox Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17895Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1776822:date=Jul 3 2010, 04:20 AM:name=eeme)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eeme @ Jul 3 2010, 04:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776822"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If NS2 happens after NS1 and the marine equipment (and aliens) have been upgraded, why are sentry turrets worse?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Worse? They only hit one target at a time before, now they deal damage in a cone (area of effect).
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1776822:date=Jul 3 2010, 01:20 AM:name=eeme)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eeme @ Jul 3 2010, 01:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776822"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If NS2 happens after NS1 and the marine equipment (and aliens) have been upgraded, why are sentry turrets worse?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Budget cuts
  • ChopsChops UW Technical Artist (and Store Guy) Join Date: 2009-08-06 Member: 68373Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Pistachionauts
    Yes, it is playing the alert animation because there is a marine Extractor around the corner. It was an accident, but we thought it was cool enough to leave in. :)
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The model looks absolutely fantastic!

However, the sound of it growing is really awful, LOL. It sounds like someone going "ni nom noh doh ni nom" into their computer microphone. I take it that's a place-holder sound.
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    The growing looks great, well done !
  • eemeeeme Join Date: 2007-06-26 Member: 61383Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1776824:date=Jul 3 2010, 11:33 AM:name=Slatox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slatox @ Jul 3 2010, 11:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776824"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Worse? They only hit one target at a time before, now they deal damage in a cone (area of effect).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You misunderstood it, they fire ice cream cones now
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    Let's see what Structures and characters left to be seen: sentry turret, siege turret, observatory,prototype lab,builder bot, hmg,heavy....defense/movement/sens chambers,fade,.....at 1-2 weeks per structure=sorry no alpha this summer
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1776835:date=Jul 3 2010, 07:16 AM:name=Karba)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karba @ Jul 3 2010, 07:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776835"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let's see what Structures and characters left to be seen: sentry turret, siege turret, observatory,prototype lab,builder bot, hmg,heavy....defense/movement/sens chambers,fade,.....at 1-2 weeks per structure=sorry no alpha this summer<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

... They never said everything had to be showcased before the alpha was released.