Development Blog Update - Hydra reveal

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Please post comments on the topic Development Blog Update - Hydra reveal here

Comments

• RehnquistRehnquist Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68672Members
    edited July 2010
    Little sneak peak at the alien HUD, too. Not the fade reveal :/ but me likey!
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    A wonderful glimpse at how the game is going to look in a certain aspect. Even the skulk bite means something to us.

At least those "OC"s make more sense than that shotgun design. ;P
  • cbrnsoldiercbrnsoldier Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72231Members
    im just waiting on the alpha release date to be announced :/ been waiting patiently but so far what i've seen looks beautiful. im glad i pre-ordered
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2010
    I like it! Animation when the gorge pukes needs to be slowed down. I'm just assuming this is for the purpose of showing us though how they grow.
  • linfosomalinfosoma Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67523Members
    edited July 2010
    Awesome update, I like how the Hydras look kinda beautiful yet dangerous. Im getting the feeling this video is in fast forward right? Also, the way the fully grown Hydra is moving, is that what they do when a marine is nearby or just their normal idle animation?
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Sound overpowered nerf!

Looks pretty decent though
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    I like it. Like someone else said, I assume that perk-up animation they were doing after being built is the "marine near by" animation. Because it would be pretty silly as an idle animation. :p
  • JappifyJappify Join Date: 2010-01-25 Member: 70312Members
    I have to admit, that is just completely awesome.
  • WarLoverWarLover Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69276Members
    The quality looks amazing, you can easily tell alot of work is being put into this game.
    I can't wait until the alpha.

Also would have been a nice treat to see one grow on the wall or ceiling.
  • DiColaDiCola Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11790Members
    edited July 2010
    I am SO gonna gorge now! All over the place! :D
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Is it just me or are the two hydras perfectly in sync at the end?

I'm more excited about the HUD though. I like the energy bar, I think it's easier to see how much of your energy is gone, compared to the bar organic thing in NS1.
    I don't know if the leap icon is necessary?
  • Ge_FreakGe_Freak Join Date: 2010-06-30 Member: 72211Members
    Looks very nice! You guys are making this look great! Good Job!
  • JappifyJappify Join Date: 2010-01-25 Member: 70312Members
    Heh, is it just me or does the bite icon look a bit like a pumpkin?
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Looks good. Please tell me they'll glow in the final version. They look so nice in the concept art and that glow would really make them shine. No pun intended.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Amazing! I wanted to see it in action though :x
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1776779:date=Jul 3 2010, 04:04 AM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Jul 3 2010, 04:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is it just me or are the two hydras perfectly in sync at the end?

I'm more excited about the HUD though. I like the energy bar, I think it's easier to see how much of your energy is gone, compared to the bar organic thing in NS1.
    I don't know if the leap icon is necessary?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd rather a straight bar like NS1, but it hardly makes a difference to me. :p
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    lol @ gorge running and barfing, funny stuff.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->which makes the Gorge a bit like a gardener tending to his creepy and deadly plants.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm already seeing a custom skin for OCs with googly eyes on them (someone please tell me they get this reference). Just in case:

<a href="http://www.hulu.com/watch/16417/saturday-night-live-googly-eyes-gardener" target="_blank">http://www.hulu.com/watch/16417/saturday-n...y-eyes-gardener</a>
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2010
    I like the idea the hydra going into alert mode, will the kharaa be able to notice if a hydra is in alert mode through hivemind? Or will the alien commander be able to tell which Hydra's have been triggered into alert mode? For example, marine or two run past a hydra, and a notification goes off for the alien commander, saying that it's detected Fronts in the area.(would be awesome)
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1776786:date=Jul 2 2010, 11:20 PM:name=Frhoe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frhoe @ Jul 2 2010, 11:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776786"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like the idea the hydra going into alert mode, will the kharaa be able to notice if a hydra is in alert mode through hivemind? Or will the alien commander be able to tell which Hydra's have been triggered into alert mode? For example, marine or two run past a hydra, and a notification goes off for the alien commander, saying that it's detected Fronts in the area.(would be awesome)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it's just a visual que for players, I suspect it wouldn't inform players or alien commanders until it fires or is attacked.

The video makes them look huge, but they are actually quite small if you think that it barely grows higher than the skulk.

The hydra is jaw droppingly good looking too! Great work!
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    very nice, love the semi-transparent petals.
  • BigTextBigText Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63231Members
    Am I the only one who noticed that their animation, specifically at the start, looks oddly... phallic?

In any event, neat update. The game looks great, even if the framerate is still a tad choppy. I'm getting a couple of video cards in the coming weeks, though, and then my computer ought to be incredible at playing this. Can't wait!
  • ItalianmagicItalianmagic Join Date: 2008-12-13 Member: 65755Members
    hmmm... I like it! too bad the spikes didn't translate over 100%. I like the concepts big and nonuniform approach! But overall still an A+ :D
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I find if just a visual que that it wouldn't be as useful. I would think that all alien structures would be linked to the hivemind.. so if something were to go into alert mode... would make sense for the hivemind to detect such a thing and inform. That's just my opinion, i still really enjoy the Hydra, just tossing out a few cents and ideas :D
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The Gorge animations seem really jerky, I'm assuming it's still a work in progress. Also the Hydras need an animation for opening their petals, it's weird looking how the spikes just appear at the end of the build cycle. Looks good otherwise though.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    I completely agree with Zek.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    Absolutely love it. Every time you guys do a reveal video it wow's me at the work being done. For constructive criticism the above have already been said a bit about slightly unsmooth animations, but I'm assuming everything in that department is still a fine tuning machine. Can't wait to see what else is shown, especially the NEW pieces of NS2 that we haven't seen yet.
  • nirvanaXOnirvanaXO Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70747Members
  • SgtPrinnySgtPrinny Join Date: 2009-08-18 Member: 68526Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1776790:date=Jul 2 2010, 09:29 PM:name=BigText)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigText @ Jul 2 2010, 09:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776790"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Am I the only one who noticed that their animation, specifically at the start, looks oddly... phallic?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Honestly, I thought the original SC did too.

Of course, it may be just that we have dirty minds.
  • celewigncelewign Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70458Members
    This is good work, and the game looks really really nice. Some good stuff is going down here.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited July 2010
    Looks great.

Do hydras also spread DI a little?
    At least I'd love to see DI spread in between hydras, when there are 3 or more close to each other.

Edit: So as a gorge you have the option to either drop 1-2 hydras for support only or commit to a bigger fortification, which adds DI spread and thus additional bonus.