Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update - Build 148, Jetpacks and...Legos?

Comments

• RyuuRyuu Join Date: 2009-08-19 Member: 68531Members
    Life just isn't worth living without the builder bot :(
  • kuperayekuperaye Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14519Members, Constellation
    Sweet jetpacks. Howabout you finish revealing the aliens now?
  • ArkArk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68489Members
    For some reason i can't find the ambient light in the editor. Can't see this being popular as ambient lights rob your levels of contrast.
  • Me9aMe9a Join Date: 2008-03-27 Member: 63981Members
    just remove the assplate and adjust the output a litte bit back from the ass would look much better

for direct upward output are these 2 things at the side
  • antarezantarez Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20018Members
    wanted to mention that the bluish lights at the bottom of this jetpack look much much better in the concepts... in the render they arent really rectangular and that makes them look a bit weak in some way :/
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Once researched, players will be able to buy jetpacks from any armory they visit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No one else is bugged by that ?
    I'm very afraid of the consequences of that change in the gameplay.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1772805:date=May 29 2010, 09:41 PM:name=BoBiNoU)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BoBiNoU @ May 29 2010, 09:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772805"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No one else is bugged by that ?
    I'm very afraid of the consequences of that change in the gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Old news ... yes commander and players will have separate res and marines buy their own stuff

My thoughts: This sux but well we will have to wait and see and if it does sux moders will make everything beck to normal.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1772806:date=May 29 2010, 04:49 PM:name=Skyforger2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skyforger2 @ May 29 2010, 04:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772806"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Old news ... yes commander and players will have separate res and marines buy their own stuff

My thoughts: This sux but well we will have to wait and see and if it does sux moders will make everything beck to normal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I believe he met in the context of dropping a proxy armory potentially allowing any marine anywhere on the map access to the jetpack.

I don't really think it's a big deal, BoBiNoU, although I guess it would really depend on how the squad mechanics are set up. Having one or two guys from a squad stay back at a forward armory so any fallen squad mates spawn on them, with instant access to an armory, may be a bit much. On the other hand it may be more of a high risk / high reward strategy that turns out to be balanced.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Considering how large the Armories are now I suspect they are (even more) expensive and vital structures than in NS1, so its probably not the sort of building you casually drop at the frontlines.
    Besides, phase to the armory in the main base and you're just as good to go.
  • BetaSwordBetaSword Join Date: 2005-01-18 Member: 36256Members
    Natural-Selection-Legos - I'd like to have one.

About that jetpack, it reminds me on those in the Game "Global Agenda"(i admit playing the Demo/Trial, I got via Steam).

Well, it would be pretty interesting, if there were any upgrades to that Jetpacks, or at least one.
    Also I'm thinking, it would be nice, if those Thrusters that come out the Sides would move according to the Direction the Player is flying.
    I also like that Plate, that's saving the Ass from getting burned by the Jetpack's Main-Thruster.
    I'm also hoping, that the Jetpack will add some additional Armor, as it's covering a huge portion of the Back(looks like at least 50 Armor-Points).
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1772820:date=May 30 2010, 01:47 AM:name=BetaSword)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BetaSword @ May 30 2010, 01:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Natural-Selection-Legos - I'd like to have one.

About that jetpack, it reminds me on those in the Game "Global Agenda"(i admit playing the Demo/Trial, I got via Steam).

Well, it would be pretty interesting, if there were any upgrades to that Jetpacks, or at least one.
    Also I'm thinking, it would be nice, if those Thrusters that come out the Sides would move according to the Direction the Player is flying.
    I also like that Plate, that's saving the Ass from getting burned by the Jetpack's Main-Thruster.
    I'm also hoping, that the Jetpack will add some additional Armor, as it's covering a huge portion of the Back(looks like at least 50 Armor-Points).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It does look like the Assault's jetpack now that you say it.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1772812:date=May 30 2010, 12:32 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ May 30 2010, 12:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772812"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Besides, phase to the armory in the main base and you're just as good to go.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Phase with what?
  • SpiritwindSpiritwind Join Date: 2008-04-20 Member: 64116Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1772833:date=May 29 2010, 11:20 PM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ May 29 2010, 11:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772833"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Phase with what?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol, a phase gate ^^.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited May 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1772686:date=May 28 2010, 07:39 PM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ May 28 2010, 07:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Overall jetpack looks great. My only suggestion would be to remove the green metal piece under the bottom three glowing lights/exhaust ports. Granted, it's probably to deflect some kind of super hot steam/gas/flame but it makes the jetpack look a bit bulky.

Either way, it's cool.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The glowing lights is the "bite-me" sign to offset the "overwhelming" advantage of very limited short range flight where you run out of gas in 3 seconds forcing you to land, and walk... wishing you had a heavy for when the fighting starts. Also i'm surprised it's not like NS1 where the "here aliens this will help you to kill me" features weren't active unless you were flying (i.e. the bright exhaust in NS1). Now it seems if you wear a jetpack that the aliens will have no trouble seeing and, by extension, biting your ass.

It makes me wonder what sort of light show will encompass the "exosuit", i.e. heavy.

Anyway why are we doing the carbon copy of NS1 thing. I would have much more appreciated two variations of the jetpack:

1. a version that non-heavy-armor marines get EARLY in the game... like what's being floated here in the concept art, and already exists in NS1.

2. a HEAVY-ARMOR version... or Just permit the exosuit to come standard with flight abilities, i.e. Iron Man.

Also i really really don't like super limited fuel. I mean for a JETPACK, i spend an awfully huge amount of time walking, and their's just an infinite number of ways that infinite fuel could be balanced (i.e. by making it harder to shoot the super fast moving aliens, or huge vibrations during flight that shake your camera, or give the aliens aimbots like this is a console game that only lock on to jetpacks as if the jet exhaust is easy for them to smell or something). Or else the fade better have identical stamina refuel rates, or there will be no point in getting jetpack... NS2 will be exactly like NS1 and heavies with shotguns will be what wins games.

Can i make the prediction now that the NS2 fade is identical to the NS1 fade. I.e. imagine a marine with the armor of a heavy that has a jetpack, but with a super fast jp-fuel replenish rate, and for armament he has akimbo short range sawed-off shotguns with unlimited ammo. The NS1 fade.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1772835:date=May 29 2010, 10:56 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ May 29 2010, 10:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772835"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->there will be no point in getting jetpack... NS2 will be exactly like NS1 and heavies with shotguns will be what wins games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

...wait what?

JP doesn't win games in NS1!?

I don't know what game your playing, but it isn't the same one I play...
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited May 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1772836:date=May 30 2010, 03:15 AM:name=Katana-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana- @ May 30 2010, 03:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...wait what?

JP doesn't win games in NS1!?

I don't know what game your playing, but it isn't the same one I play...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A JP alone does not consider weapons... (although if we had an unarmed heavy and an unarmed JP... well the JP has a better chance of running away to hide in a vent while his team dies... thereby insuring his place of honor in the after game ready room flying)

So with reference to NS1:

The problem starts with the weapons. HMG is only good against skulks. And the shotgun is actually useful against everything. GL is also useful during those battles of 10 fades + onoses vs a bunch of heavies armed with hmgs that can't kill anything. The GL explosions tend to catch the fades off guard while their healing around the corner (from a game of NS i played like 3 days ago).

Now i have many many memories of heavy trains winning games. And even more memories of JPs loosing games.

In summation, a heavy armed with a shotgun is the pinnacle of TSA capabilities, and it helps if some heavies have GLs.

Also HMG = 250 blanks (and blanks are lethal against skulks... maybe their super high heart rate means the sound of the HMG firing causes them instant heart attacks... that would explain why the lethaity of the hmg ramps off to the point where a marine with a hmg vs a fade = marine dead + 10 marines behind him).

====

So yes... the shotgun/gl helps marines KILL (HMG is too "balanced" to be useful).

And the heavy helps marines stay ALIVE.

The JP helps marines get into vents to stay ALIVE.... and their fun in the ready room.

Heavies intimidate fades.

JP intimidate oni.

And your more likely to encounter fades then oni. Therefore JP is a niche weapon at best. It is like the GL. And heavy armor is the best choice 99% of the time.
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1772837:date=May 30 2010, 02:23 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ May 30 2010, 02:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772837"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So with reference to NS1:

The problem starts with the weapons. HMG is only good against skulks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You forgot to include the Gorge, the Lerk, the Fade, and the Onos.
  • jaminjamin Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63332Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1772835:date=May 30 2010, 07:56 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ May 30 2010, 07:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772835"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 will be exactly like NS1 and heavies with shotguns will be what wins games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm no competitive player but even I know that JP's are useful.
    I've seen plenty of demos where marines barely hold out until they get Jp's then go on to win the round.

So yeah, 32 player pubs are not an accurate representation of game balance.
  • KassingerKassinger Shades of grey Join Date: 2002-02-20 Member: 229Members, Constellation
    Don't people wear heavy-duty backpacks? I feel like the jetpack is missing a belt to carry the hips. Love the ass-flap though. :)

Impressed with the level of detail on that lego model. :)
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i really would like to see the fade next :)
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited May 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1772840:date=May 30 2010, 03:37 AM:name=jamin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jamin @ May 30 2010, 03:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772840"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm no competitive player but even I know that JP's are useful.
    I've seen plenty of demos where marines barely hold out until they get Jp's then go on to win the round.

So yeah, 32 player pubs are not an accurate representation of game balance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The only active NA pub left is the <BAD> Pub, this is why you get these answers.

G4B2S hardly stays full around the clock anymore.

And EvolveNS has their E-Peens at the forefront of every single action, for no apparent reason.

Then for non-US servers you have Lerk.de and [ABLE] NS, and then those random Japanese Combat servers.

There is no server left where you can just do anything you want anymore, and by that I mean going DCs for the first Hive chamber(or 2nd or 3rd).
  • Viper_two_nine_AViper_two_nine_A Join Date: 2004-09-29 Member: 31989Members
    i just had a first look at the ns lua source because i wondered how it would fit my needs to build a mod.

for those of you that got annoyed by the sound loop bug (like me :)) here is a quick workaround. it does not use the riflefiring sound loop file (as proposed by the comment) anymore but it keeps soundoutput from going crazy.

in \Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2\lua\Rifle.lua

line 201 ff replace
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->elseif (self.firingState == 1) then
       player:PlaySound(self.fireLoopSound)
    end<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

with

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->elseif (self.firingState > 0) then
       player:PlaySound(self.fireSound)
    end<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    FocusedWolf is on my ignore list for a reason...
  • PrivatePrivate Join Date: 2007-06-10 Member: 61204Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1772871:date=May 30 2010, 10:39 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ May 30 2010, 10:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772871"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->FocusedWolf is on my ignore list for a reason...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You are denying yourself some real gems from time to time. I'm amazed there's no "FocusedWolf's greatest posts" thread in Off-Topic. You are all really nice people for not mocking him in public.

Nice update! I especially enjoy the looping sound bug, makes me feel much better about my own imperfections.

On a side note: Is it too much to request a render of JP + female marine?
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1772835:date=May 30 2010, 02:56 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ May 30 2010, 02:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772835"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...or there will be no point in getting jetpack... NS2 will be exactly like NS1 and heavies with shotguns will be what wins games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have you played NS1 competitively?
  • Water_BoyWater_Boy Join Date: 2003-08-19 Member: 19951Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1772877:date=May 30 2010, 10:39 PM:name=Private)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Private @ May 30 2010, 10:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772877"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You are denying yourself some real gems from time to time. I'm amazed there's no "FocusedWolf's greatest posts" thread in Off-Topic. You are all really nice people for not mocking him in public.

Nice update! I especially enjoy the looping sound bug, makes me feel much better about my own imperfections.

On a side note: Is it too much to request a render of JP + female marine?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hows about a peek at the black armour that 90% of us are meant to be getting? :D <3 the JP reveal tho, looks totally amazing, doing a great job there charlie 'n' chums :)
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    hmm marine armor should have attachment for jp instead of it being a backpack =D
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1772877:date=May 30 2010, 09:39 PM:name=Private)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Private @ May 30 2010, 09:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772877"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On a side note: Is it too much to request a render of JP + female marine?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Since I've seen the female marine mentioned around here several times lately, I figure I should mention that it's not looking good for getting a female marine into the game in time for release. Originally we started with the female marine, but when we went to work on the male marine version, it went through a major design overhaul, which kind of left the female marine model not fitting in with the look and quality of the male marine.

At this point, the money and significant time to create the female marine (just from the animation time alone, since the marines have by far the most animations of any model in the game) would be put to better use on the rest of the game, since it's purely a cosmetic enhancement and doesn't impact gameplay.

We fully intend to still have female marines in NS2, and hopefully even some face variations for both the female and male marines, but it's looking more like it will be part of the expansion, after release.

--Cory
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    It might be worth mentioning thats not the first time we've heard the female model isn't making the v1 cut. On a completely side note I've been having to play in US servers lately as it seems the aus community is dead :<