Jumping and it's place in modern FPS

MiDriMiDri Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71315Members
edited April 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
So I've been playing around in the alpha engine demo and the levels really make me wonder why we need jumping? I sit and thought about it, and I understand why it used to exist... it was due to the limitations in allowing characters to move over objects. Now we could simply have a climbing animation for lunging over things. It just seems strange to me that we are jumping around... thoughts?

Comments

• DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    there are quite a few shooters out there that have some sort of "vaulting" ability to get over terrain and not having jump in the game at all, it won't be uncommon for even more shooters to ditch jumping soon enough, especially amongst the realism games.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    edited April 2010
    Aiming is redundant too, why not just have auto aim? And a server browser where you can see ip addresses? Favorite servers? Whats the point when we could have awesome game lobbies?
  • celewigncelewign Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70458Members
    the problem with vaulting is that its conditional usually: a surface has to vaultable and declared as such by the game engine. you end up with ridiculous situations where you can vault over a 10 foot concrete wall but not a pizza box.

jumping solves this issue: it simply allows the player to change their altitude. since collision detection is (still difficult but) pretty refined at this point, jumping is the best and most intuitive way to go about this kind of situation.

i do like it when the jumping animation is replaced with several different animations though, so jumping straight into the air doesn't look the same as jumping over a desk.
  • GoPostalManGoPostalMan Join Date: 2010-04-08 Member: 71216Members
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1765675:date=Apr 11 2010, 01:09 AM:name=celewign)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (celewign @ Apr 11 2010, 01:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765675"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i do like it when the jumping animation is replaced with several different animations though, so jumping straight into the air doesn't look the same as jumping over a desk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i concur! lets get some of this with our polish pls!
  • MiDriMiDri Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71315Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1765675:date=Apr 11 2010, 05:09 AM:name=celewign)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (celewign @ Apr 11 2010, 05:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765675"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the problem with vaulting is that its conditional usually: a surface has to vaultable and declared as such by the game engine. you end up with ridiculous situations where you can vault over a 10 foot concrete wall but not a pizza box.

jumping solves this issue: it simply allows the player to change their altitude. since collision detection is (still difficult but) pretty refined at this point, jumping is the best and most intuitive way to go about this kind of situation.

i do like it when the jumping animation is replaced with several different animations though, so jumping straight into the air doesn't look the same as jumping over a desk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't see why this would be a problem, you would just cast a ray (or what ever method they use to do line of site) and if you can view over object you can move over it. or if it was a taller object you want to go over, move accordingly up z axis and then do as I've previously stated. The engine can do all the heavy lifting so that map designers don't have to think about what things should be passable or not. Then if you did not want to allow some one to pass over an object you would just add some kind of clip plane brush or something of that nature.
  • PhasePhase Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23149Members, Constellation
    You'll notice that games without jumping soon fail. Even if they have climbing abilities. Look at WoW, it doesn't even need the jump feature in the game but it has it and is used to the extreme. It adds just the right touch of realism into games that make them enjoyable :)
  • celewigncelewign Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70458Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1765686:date=Apr 11 2010, 12:26 AM:name=MiDri)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiDri @ Apr 11 2010, 12:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't see why this would be a problem, you would just cast a ray (or what ever method they use to do line of site) and if you can view over object you can move over it. or if it was a taller object you want to go over, move accordingly up z axis and then do as I've previously stated. The engine can do all the heavy lifting so that map designers don't have to think about what things should be passable or not. Then if you did not want to allow some one to pass over an object you would just add some kind of clip plane brush or something of that nature.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i know it sounds sensible, but what happens when you have a situation where you can't ray trace a movement path? (btw pathway tracing is heavily demanding on comps, i thought, but i don't know).

anyone play mass effect 2? great game, but no jumping. you just go into cover, then charge over obstacles. result: useless feature. i died a lot of times in me2 because i couldn't jump past an obstacle. there is simply no faster way to do what you want to do, and and movement control and speed is crucial, far more important than pretty shiny realism.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    edited April 2010
    The reason why jumping is in most FPS's is because as others have said, the mechanics for detecting when vaulting/obstacle maneuver is necessary are not trivial where as jumping is. Jumping to clear an object is a simpler case of collision detection, whereas figuring out how and when to vault can be either a complex set of conditionals or built into the map; in both cases it is often prone to failure and player frustration.
    <!--quoteo(post=1765687:date=Apr 11 2010, 05:26 AM:name=Phase)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phase @ Apr 11 2010, 05:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765687"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You'll notice that games without jumping soon fail. Even if they have climbing abilities. Look at WoW, it doesn't even need the jump feature in the game but it has it and is used to the extreme. It adds just the right touch of realism into games that make them enjoyable :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think it's realism that it adds, it's just become such an engraved part of how we think we should be able to play. Realistically you'd wind your self very quickly jumping around with 200lbs of armor on + guns and that's not counting the chance that you'd come down wrong and sprain your ankle or something.

I understand it in exploration games where you are bound to rules where canClimb() { if this.slope > 45 { return false } } you need the jumping to make up for a lack of animations and programing that would allow your character to transcend that location. I just think that modern games would be a lot more interesting if we moved away from jumping as a tool for passing obstacles. Bunny hopping is a great example of why its just goofy, but there are more subtle issues with it that make some of the really neat things that could be conceived in level design not work. What if you could crawl stealthy over a crate instead of jumping on it and then to the other side? What if you could vault over/slide under a pipe whilst running after a creature that either pounced over the pipe or was small enough to run under it? These things just don't make sense in a jump to navigate world.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    Right, jump was so rarely used in NS it wouldn't even make a difference...

Congratulations on the worst idea of the day!
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    While this is ultimately up to your own personal tastes I find jumping is an important aspect in any FPS, modern or not. Jumping in NS1 allowed an individual player to work on their movement skill and allowed that player to work off of the environment. For example, jumping on then off of a railing to avoid a skulk bite. The kind of depth added by increased movement skill, in this case jumping, cannot be easily replaced. Without a jump, in the above scenario the player would have just sat there. After just 'sitting there' battle after battle without much else to worry about save aiming the game may become stale for some.
    <!--quoteo(post=1765689:date=Apr 11 2010, 05:31 AM:name=celewign)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (celewign @ Apr 11 2010, 05:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765689"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i know it sounds sensible, but what happens when you have a situation where you can't ray trace a movement path? (btw pathway tracing is heavily demanding on comps, i thought, but i don't know).

anyone play mass effect 2? great game, but no jumping. you just go into cover, then charge over obstacles. result: useless feature. i died a lot of times in me2 because i couldn't jump past an obstacle. there is simply no faster way to do what you want to do, and and movement control and speed is crucial, far more important than pretty shiny realism.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ME2 controls when it comes to cover and vaulting are meh...

and casting a ray (or what ever method they use) to figure out if a bullet will connect would work just fine. all it has to do is clear the x or y length of the object to specify a complete vault. if X/Y is short you end up just climbing object and if X/Y is exact vault length you clear it, if X/Y is longer then vault length you end up on top of it again.
  • KrylonKrylon Join Date: 2009-05-31 Member: 67591Members
    Jumping definitely has a good place in NS considering all the aliens have unique movement capabilities and jumping gives the marines a good boost in mobility. Ever jump backwards off a ledge to dodge an attack?
  • Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    Not every game is a tactical shooter where you aren't allowed to move and shoot at the same time. Jumping is a fundamental part of arcade movement mechanics, and NS2 uses arcade mechanics.

If you want to crouchwalk your way to victory, this isn't the game for you.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1765692:date=Apr 11 2010, 05:36 AM:name=Razagal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razagal @ Apr 11 2010, 05:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765692"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Right, jump was so rarely used in NS it wouldn't even make a difference...

Congratulations on the worst idea of the day!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wasn't jump primarily just used for marines to leap around in circles every time someone so much as breathed the word 'Skulk'?
    <!--quoteo(post=1765692:date=Apr 11 2010, 05:36 AM:name=Razagal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razagal @ Apr 11 2010, 05:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765692"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Right, jump was so rarely used in NS it wouldn't even make a difference...

Congratulations on the worst idea of the day!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Usefull?...

<!--quoteo(post=1765693:date=Apr 11 2010, 05:38 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Apr 11 2010, 05:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765693"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While this is ultimately up to your own personal tastes I find jumping is an important aspect in any FPS, modern or not. Jumping in NS1 allowed an individual player to work on their movement skill and allowed that player to work off of the environment. For example, jumping on then off of a railing to avoid a skulk bite. The kind of depth added by increased movement skill, in this case jumping, cannot be easily replaced. Without a jump, in the above scenario the player would have just sat there. After just 'sitting there' battle after battle without much else to worry about save aiming the game may become stale for some.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree that jumping currently adds a lot to the mobility of the players, I'm not saying it should be rid of. I'm just saying why not add some variety in clearing obstacles and make jumping less of a normal maneuver you would do. Sure if you needed to get from pipe A to pipe B and they're 4 feet apart, by all means jump. But to get over a crate it just looks weird to jump 4-5 feet on the Z-axis (given gravity is suppose to be in effect)
  • PowerMustachePowerMustache Join Date: 2010-03-07 Member: 70875Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1765692:date=Apr 11 2010, 12:36 AM:name=Razagal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razagal @ Apr 11 2010, 12:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765692"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Right, jump was so rarely used in NS it wouldn't even make a difference...

rofl, couldnt be better said
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I find a game where I can't jump to feel very artificial and boring.
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1765692:date=Apr 11 2010, 03:36 PM:name=Razagal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razagal @ Apr 11 2010, 03:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765692"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Right, jump was so rarely used in NS it wouldn't even make a difference...

You should probably read what the OP is saying before sounding like an idiot.

Jumping is so common in FPS's that removing it would be a very bold move, particularly for an indie game like NS2. For that reason I think it should stay, but I totally agree with what the OP saying. Call of Duty has done it pretty well don't you think? The engine determines what can be climbed by the players, and instead of jumping over them with superhuman strength, players can clamber and vault along these surfaces. I think this idea should be expanded on, and allow a wider variety of animations for climbing over obstacles. It definently adds to the atmosphere, instead of having players bouncing around all over the place. But a competitive game like NS2 needs jump to allow for good movement control between both alien and marine. Still I agree with your idea.
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1765705:date=Apr 11 2010, 06:03 AM:name=TempesT487)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TempesT487 @ Apr 11 2010, 06:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765705"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You should probably read what the OP is saying before sounding like an idiot.

Jumping is so common in FPS's that removing it would be a very bold move, particularly for an indie game like NS2. For that reason I think it should stay, but I totally agree with what the OP saying. Call of Duty has done it pretty well don't you think? The engine determines what can be climbed by the players, and instead of jumping over them with superhuman strength, players can clamber and vault along these surfaces. I think this idea should be expanded on, and allow a wider variety of animations for climbing over obstacles. It definently adds to the atmosphere, instead of having players bouncing around all over the place. But a competitive game like NS2 needs jump to allow for good movement control between both alien and marine. Still I agree with your idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you for not only reading but comprehending what I was writing. (No offense to others, My thought patterns are like the freaking bikes in Tron...)
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1765689:date=Apr 10 2010, 11:31 PM:name=celewign)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (celewign @ Apr 10 2010, 11:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765689"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(btw pathway tracing is heavily demanding on comps, i thought, but i don't know).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Tracing a ray, not too bad. Pathfinding (i.e. find shortest path between points A and B on this graph), can be painful.

Personally, I don't care. Just get a solid, universal system into the game, stick with it, and make it dependable. No weird Mirror's Edge jump detection stuff.
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    edited April 2010
    Jumping is an abstraction for a whole range of motions, including but not limited to climbing, lunging (to dodge), and in some cases running. In real life we're not constrained to simply moving at constant speed in one of eight directions. Jumping helps the player feel more in control of his avatar.

You can attempt to replace jumping by implementing some the actions it abstracts, but there are clear drawbacks. If you set up a separate command for each action, you overwhelm the player with too many different controls. The alternative is context sensitive controls, but with these it's easy for a player to perform an action by accident that he didn't mean to perform. In any case, you will never approach the freedom of real life by trying to implement all the specific motions individually.

Jumping, on the other hand, instantly grants a level of freedom close to that of real life, at the small cost of also allowing some movements that are unrealistic.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    Adding a short delay between jumps (under a second) usually eliminates a lot of the hopping problem in games.
  • WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I would say there are only so many things you can tackle as a developer, and vaulting is not critical. If there were 100 people working on the game full time with a budget of tens of millions, I would be all for it...but obviously that is not the case. Jumping is a good substitute, and so all that needs to be done are implement some constraints so that it doesn't become an arcadey means of dodging fire. Bunny hopping is a pretty dated gameplay mechanic, and while some NS players might enjoy it, modern shooters do not incorporate it and thus, including it will turn off more people than it will attract. Keep things simple and realistic.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited April 2010
    You don't strictly need quite a few controls in FPS games, like a use button, or crouch, or a reload key.

But you put them in because they're part of an FPS.

If you don't want bunnyhopping just include a small tweak that means you lose speed if you don't run between jumps, rather than maintaining constant speed.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    Whilst I agree that jumping is a little immersion breaking (I mean people don't bounce up and down like that) I'm used to it enough and the gameplay requirements are such that NS particularly could not do without it... and not being able to get over a knee high barrier, or is often the case not being able to jump off a cliff or ledge is FAR more immersion breaking.
  • BCSephBCSeph Join Date: 2005-02-24 Member: 42384Members, Constellation
    When I run around in games, I habitually jump even when it serves no purpose. It just <i>feels</i> awesome. If only jumping was as effortless in real life.
  • AlaskaAlaska Join Date: 2006-10-11 Member: 58067Members
    Most arguments i read against jumping are really just arguments against badly implemented jumping.

But if jumping is removed my avatar would be unable to jump up and down in the middle of an empty room? cause there is no crate near enough to vault over?

What if i want to jump up to be able to look over an obstacle? That's essential.

And context-sensitive movement-animations/jumping-mechanics would be aweful... Simple jumping with slight realism like speed-down while landing, "cooldown" for jumping, very low aircontrol etc simply gives the best playfeeling.

No need for vaulting, special-jumps dependant on environment and such stuff - we are playing fps and not parkour.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I can jump in real life, I want to be able to jump in-game. To all "problems" that might arise from this the answer clearly is: Nanites!
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1765705:date=Apr 11 2010, 02:03 AM:name=TempesT487)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TempesT487 @ Apr 11 2010, 02:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765705"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jumping is so common in FPS's that removing it would be a very bold move, particularly for an indie game like NS2. For that reason I think it should stay, but I totally agree with what the OP saying. Call of Duty has done it pretty well don't you think?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, Call of Duty did it very well. They allow normal jumping and allow the 'vault over this objective' jump. I haven't played CoD:MW2 so I don't know if they've removed normal jumping (I know they removed leaning - a beautiful step backwards), however, in every CoD game before MW2 jumping was a very important aspect to combat. The OP seems to want to replace the normal jump with the 'vault over things' jump. I don't think that's a good idea.