Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Engine Test released!

Comments

• rsdrsd Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13405Members
  • korvokorvo Join Date: 2009-11-19 Member: 69427Members, Squad Five Blue
    5 times i downloaded it and 5 times the file was not complete. Now i tried it again but there comes a Tomcat error report :(
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    Download link is dead :/
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    edited April 2010
    <b>First impressions:</b>

<u>Grafics:</u>
    1. I started out in windowed mode, and when i changed it to full screen my computer rebooted :S
    2. Right... after a quick relaunch i started off on map 1, where i quickly found some errors looking at shotdown target dummys, disapeering and reapeering as i changed my distance to it.
    3. A look at a console had me looking at the wall behind it, in a wierd flashy kind of way :S
    4. When jumping up towards the lights on the cealing, i could "run" true it...
    5. Shoting at the wall would sometimes light up the point of impact of the bullets and sometimes it didnt. - shoting at any ancle wound give this reflection, no matter if i was standing directly facing it or not. + Some surfaces didnt show this reflection at all.

<u>Movement</u>
    I was able to turn direction mid air...
    Stoping my movements would make me "glide" a little further and not stop my movement forward or side to side if strafing as soon as i released the movement button.
    *Ability to duck and use flashlight wanted.

-After aprox 13 mins i loaded up map 2 and after a quiick look around the first room my computer ones again rebooted :(

<i>Edit: I thoght i was taking Screenshots of all the bugs by pressing my pristscreen button but aparently none was taken :(
    WANTED: push of "print screen" button to actualy take a screen shot and put into a folder somewhere in the NS2 folder...
    All of the above errors could have come whit a nice picture showing the errors :S</i>
  • SpazzwanSpazzwan Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71322Members
    With all the lighting and shadows, your Playermodel shadow will be really important to know your not giving away your position casting a shadow around a corner or through a vent. That's one of the bigger things i noticed was missing.
    When I was running around in the second map I was just thinking how cool it would be to see the shadows of skulks scurrying past the lights with the fans in-front of them. would freak me out knowing I'm surrounded, lol.
  • BryBry Join Date: 2003-01-23 Member: 12609Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1765738:date=Apr 11 2010, 08:43 AM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Apr 11 2010, 08:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765738"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Download link is dead :/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not sure which mirror you are trying but, if you haven't please try

<a href="http://www.bryns.co.uk/downloads/files/index.php?dir=natural-selection2/&file=ns2_setup_build140.exe" target="_blank">http://www.bryns.co.uk/downloads/files/ind...up_build140.exe</a>

served 352 downloads over the last 5 hours just, tried downloading it again myself and it completes fine
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1765744:date=Apr 11 2010, 07:08 PM:name=Bry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bry @ Apr 11 2010, 07:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765744"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure which mirror you are trying but, if you haven't please try

<a href="http://www.bryns.co.uk/downloads/files/index.php?dir=natural-selection2/&file=ns2_setup_build140.exe" target="_blank">http://www.bryns.co.uk/downloads/files/ind...up_build140.exe</a>

served 352 downloads over the last 5 hours just, tried downloading it again myself and it completes fine<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Thanks!

I was trying the link from the front page!
    <!--quoteo(post=1765744:date=Apr 11 2010, 10:08 AM:name=Bry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bry @ Apr 11 2010, 10:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765744"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure which mirror you are trying but, if you haven't please try

served 352 downloads over the last 5 hours just, tried downloading it again myself and it completes fine<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you very much Bry for providing this mirror. 1.2MB/s (and no broken DL).

<!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Some waves for Bry!<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    edited April 2010
    Argh #### steam, my old account is banned! GRRRR
    Why do you have to use steam? This really sucks. If I had known this earlier, I hadn't bought NS2.

Graphic-Situation here:
    *Menu extreme laggy
    *Fullscreen=Blackscreen
    (haven't tested more things atm - have to reinstall...)
  • kflow47kflow47 Join Date: 2008-10-09 Member: 65154Members
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1765778:date=Apr 11 2010, 10:56 AM:name=korvo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (korvo @ Apr 11 2010, 10:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765778"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Argh #### steam, my old account is banned! GRRRR
    Why do you have to use steam? This really sucks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    just make a new one its free omg
    EDIT: Is someone gonna make a DM mod? Or its too much efford? I can programm Java a bit i got an apprentice ship as programmer but I am in first year =(
    PS: If u wanna have infinite Ammo u just need to change one line in <u>rifle.lua</u>
    and thats the line: self.numBulletsInClip = self.numBulletsInClip - bulletsToShoot
    u change it to self.numBulletsInClip = 30 //self.numBulletsInClip - bulletsToShoot
    or a different number

sorry for my english i am German :D
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    so devs what do you think about the lua changes that the community is making already??
  • rblstrrblstr Join Date: 2009-12-29 Member: 69811Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1765741:date=Apr 11 2010, 09:03 AM:name=GISP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GISP @ Apr 11 2010, 09:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765741"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><i>Edit: I thoght i was taking Screenshots of all the bugs by pressing my pristscreen button but aparently none was taken :(
    WANTED: push of "print screen" button to actualy take a screen shot and put into a folder somewhere in the NS2 folder...
    All of the above errors could have come whit a nice picture showing the errors :S</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Print screen copies the current screen to you clipboard and ive never seen it used to save game screenshots. try using F5, thats usually a games "save screenshot" function key.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1765790:date=Apr 11 2010, 08:10 PM:name=rblstr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rblstr @ Apr 11 2010, 08:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765790"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Print screen copies the current screen to you clipboard and ive never seen it used to save game screenshots. try using F5, thats usually a games "save screenshot" function key.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Plenty of games use print screen as their "save screenshot" default bind. WoW, for an off the top of my head example. Print Screen should work regardless of whether its bound in game, although you'll need to alt+tab and paste the screenshot into a program like Photoshop or even MSPaint each time you use it.
  • BlakkCooperBlakkCooper Join Date: 2007-11-24 Member: 63009Members
    Sapphire HD 3850
    Windows 7
    1024x768

Everything works completely fine!
  • jamieshepherdjamieshepherd Join Date: 2009-09-04 Member: 68693Members
    Okay got a couple to start off with. Here are my specs.

Processor (CPU) Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz @ 3.40GHz
    Memory Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics card 2x ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB Crossfire
    Sound card Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Operating system Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

---

Forgive the sound, I was on ventrilo watching fnatic vs Na'Vi and forgot to mute it!

Bug #01
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjNp1kohfww1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjNp1kohfww1</a>

Strange lighting flicker bug, likely graphics card specific

Bug #02
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=macgWqMc5Qg&feature=player_embedded" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=macgWqMc5Qg...player_embedded</a>

Managed to get stuck in a wall! Don't know if it's just this wall but I'm definitely stuck! :)
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.66GHz,
    4 GB
    GeForce 9800M GS
    Windows Vista 64
    1680x1050

Runs gorge-ously/perfectly.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1765250:date=Apr 10 2010, 09:15 PM:name=BluePhish)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BluePhish @ Apr 10 2010, 09:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765250"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Read before post, dude...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    you remind me of one of those ###### that say 'google it' when someone asks a question, or asks for help.
    is it that hard to answer the question with a simple yes or no?
    and if it is, is it that hard for you to decide not to comment at all?
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    I think the graphics are fantastic- they look as if they're hand-painted backgrounds: smooth and lots of colour.

Hope optimising is planned, though: game runs like a dog when I look up at a roof with loads of vents.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Please don't post bugs here. Use the GetSatisfaction system. It's chock full of common bugs.
  • INKEDOUTINKEDOUT Join Date: 2007-06-23 Member: 61343Members
    Long!!!!!! I have to download Steam again! OMG! Can the next update please, please, please not be Steam bound... It's such a waste of space!
  • ZephyrYHKZephyrYHK Join Date: 2004-04-23 Member: 28130Members
    edited April 2010
    Don't know whats up with people hating steam... I love steam.

anyway, ran it at:
    - MEDIUM settings
    - 1280x800.

System specs:

Core 2 duo E7200 @ 3.61 Ghz
    8800gt 512mb
    6gb ram DDR2 800
    Win7 64-bit
    Nvidia driver PhysX enabled.

Game runs like ass sometimes when looking into new rooms. FPS drops down to 15-ish, otherwise runs at a solid 30-40.
    Might be due to my video card being old, but I can run most games (other than this) at 'medium' at ~50-60.
    Otherwise, Physics are fantastic, lighting/rendering is fantastic, and the scripting is modder-friendly. Can't be happier with the progress.
  • qwiggaloqwiggalo Join Date: 2005-02-26 Member: 42564Members, Constellation
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1765861:date=Apr 11 2010, 11:51 AM:name=INKEDOUT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (INKEDOUT @ Apr 11 2010, 11:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765861"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Long!!!!!! I have to download Steam again! OMG! Can the next update please, please, please not be Steam bound... It's such a waste of space!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Steam is going to help sell this game for them, keep track of your stats and achievements, and help them identify their player base.

Among MANY other helpful things.
  • DenuviateDenuviate Join Date: 2009-06-02 Member: 67634Members
    Firstly I have steam and have bought some single player offline games only, because I do not agree with the whole Valve data collection deal. Offline games only check to see that steam is running when you start, then you are free to alt-tab, close steam, and start playing without being monitored. This is not possible when playing online.

When I pre-ordered NS2 there was nothing about having to install and run a third party spyware program. I hope it is only the engine test which requires me to have steam installed. If the full game also tries to force me to use steam I would like my money back. I do not want Valve to know my gaming habits. Not even for NS2.
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1765873:date=Apr 11 2010, 12:28 PM:name=Denuviate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Denuviate @ Apr 11 2010, 12:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765873"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Firstly I have steam and have bought some single player offline games only, because I do not agree with the whole Valve data collection deal. Offline games only check to see that steam is running when you start, then you are free to alt-tab, close steam, and start playing without being monitored. This is not possible when playing online.

When I pre-ordered NS2 there was nothing about having to install and run a third party spyware program. I hope it is only the engine test which requires me to have steam installed. If the full game also tries to force me to use steam I would like my money back. I do not want Valve to know my gaming habits. Not even for NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Get ready to be disappointed.

While I happily give away all my gaming details to Evil-Valve so they can use to sell to evil corporations and begin to take over the world one hour of game time at a time. It's ok though, I won't be alive by the time their evil world domination plan comes to light.
  • StreifenHirnchenStreifenHirnchen Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67609Members
    the first release date was "Fall 2009" ... and now u give us this? its nearly nothing there is a totaly buged playercontrol with a gun that feels quite like a toy, nothin about alien gameplay or marien com mode ... but hey the dynamic lights looks real nice ...

For me its the time to believe that this game never becomes released...

and yes my english sucks ;P
    <!--quoteo(post=1765882:date=Apr 11 2010, 01:09 PM:name=StreifenHirnchen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StreifenHirnchen @ Apr 11 2010, 01:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765882"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the first release date was "Fall 2009" ... and now u give us this? its nearly nothing there is a totaly buged playercontrol with a gun that feels quite like a toy, nothin about alien gameplay or marien com mode ... but hey the dynamic lights looks real nice ...

and yes my english sucks ;P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's a very silly thought, have you been keeping up with the progress? They are surely making progress. Games take a long time to make and it's very hard to gauge an estimate on completion.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1765882:date=Apr 12 2010, 03:09 AM:name=StreifenHirnchen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StreifenHirnchen @ Apr 12 2010, 03:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765882"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the first release date was "Fall 2009" ... and now u give us this? its nearly nothing there is a totaly buged playercontrol with a gun that feels quite like a toy, nothin about alien gameplay or marien com mode ... but hey the dynamic lights looks real nice ...

and yes my english sucks ;P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah I also associate the first playable build released, being an engine test, with the game never being released. I mean hey it just makes sense and I think your onto something. Sarcasm aside games should never be given strict deadlines or else the whole gaming industry would look like an EA back catalog.
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    Give the team a break, all the best devs operate on Valve time, so just be patient. People just do not understand the Dev process, especially in small team scenarios. The best release date in the world is "It's done when it's done." I'd rather they get it right than release some derivative POS. Look at HL2. Awesome, right? How many release dates and delays did that go through? :P
  • NyfNyf Join Date: 2010-02-07 Member: 70468Members
    Why do you people hate Steam so much? What have they ever done to you besides provide you easy access to tons of games, often at discounted prices?
    I'm glad NS2 will be on Steam because it makes it easier to keep track of who of my friends is playing it as well.

Anyways, engine test. Worked well for me! The only complaint I have is the insanely slow initialization times, and when I start the game I hear sound effects and music before I get any video. I'm assuming this is just some optimization that has yet to be done and will come later. I sent in a few bug reports via your in game crash handler as well, so you'll see those. This engine test really shows how far you guys have come. Thanks a bunch for letting us get an early taste of it! Cant wait for the alpha :D
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1765891:date=Apr 11 2010, 06:36 PM:name=Nyf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nyf @ Apr 11 2010, 06:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765891"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why do you people hate Steam so much? What have they ever done to you besides provide you easy access to tons of games, often at discounted prices?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Exactly there is my biggest problem with it. With steam they have taken my right to play the game I have payed for! Someone had entered my original keys (cstrike and hl as seperated keys) - this that point i never could play Natural Selection (Or other HL-Games of course) again legaly online. In the FAQ they wrote, that you have to do the following: 1st: Show them a photo of your Original CD+Cover 2nd: Give them your original key. And 3rd - pay again for the game!!!