Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 pre-alpha tools released!

Comments

• lillbrorsanlillbrorsan Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20060Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    woot i can't wait to start this up and make something :>
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1739452:date=Nov 24 2009, 06:36 PM:name=TwiStEr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TwiStEr @ Nov 24 2009, 06:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739452"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->oh and another paranoid post by me ... when I enter my key in the programm, is it gonna be transmitted via ssl?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No clue, I don't even think it calls back to a master server... meaning it's like a Windows CDKEY, certain format and it's accepted...

I would think come launch (if it isn't in already) it'll call back to a server for checking.
  • OnozkiOnozki Join Date: 2005-04-20 Member: 48948Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Damn it took long to download, i hope UWE would distribute the actual game via P2Pdownloader or torrent :/
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1739485:date=Nov 24 2009, 07:58 PM:name=Onozki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onozki @ Nov 24 2009, 07:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739485"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Damn it took long to download, i hope UWE would distribute the actual game via P2Pdownloader or torrent :/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm sure they eventually will (IE: steam)

There's a couple of other people hosting it, even a torrent up now! (UWE prob shoulda organised the torrent themselves methinks... :P)

I'm hosting it for one, with 2000GB/mo I can spare some downloads...
  • SkydancerSkydancer Join Date: 2003-03-28 Member: 14959Members, Constellation
    Tried it... I must say from a cad user this REALLY is functional and intuitive! Grats to the team and to Max for the ease of use! You hit the nail right on the head.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    I'm really at a loss for words. I can't express the levels of happiness this release has reached. It's better than Christmas.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    I'm afraid I'm not as happy. The editor does not work it crashes as soon as it opens. Reinstalling does not help I will look for another solution.
  • PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
    edited November 2009
    As cool as the editor is and all I can't help but say I'm disappointed.
    After the initial "SUP THEY ACTUALLY REALEASED SOMETHING! WOOOOO WHOOOOOOOO!" I realized that it isn't very much at all.
    Not being able to compile the maps in anyway to see what they feel like in-game outside of the editors perspective view is pretty useless to be honest.

When the teaser said there was a fall release date, I assumed it was for the final game.

Now, I understand how deadline can slip by, but only having a pre-alpha released after fall is a bit annoying to be honest, especially when you just push it under the carpet, not touching the subject at all, just leaving it up to the community to assume the deadlines been missed.

I don't have the time to play with an editor for a few hours to get a look at some possible art of a game when I can just look at the art work anyway?

I want to FEEL the game, be able to see how movement works, how bullets fire etc.

Anyway nice tool, and it has seemed to impress many upon many, I just hoped for something more.

-Prefix

EDIT: Just one last itch, why should I have ordered the special edition when standard gets the early access to tools only special was promised anyway?
  • kickerkicker Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62397Members, Constellation
    any siegemaps built yet ? :D
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->compile the maps in anyway to see what they look like in-game<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The real editor can't compile either, it's WYSIWG.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EDIT: Just one last itch, why should I have ordered the special edition when standard gets the early access to tolls only special was promised anyway?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Everyone has access to the tools.

Only Special Pre-orders have access to the GAME alpha.
  • PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1739513:date=Nov 24 2009, 11:24 AM:name=Emoo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Emoo @ Nov 24 2009, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739513"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The real editor can't compile either, it's WYSIWG.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sorry, I meant export or whatever to the point where I load it up in-game and spawn.

<!--quoteo(post=1739514:date=Nov 24 2009, 11:25 AM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Nov 24 2009, 11:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739514"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Everyone has access to the tools.

Only Special Pre-orders have access to the GAME alpha.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So people will be able to make maps and animations etc for a game they won't have (at the alpha stage anyway)?
    And I swear when I pre-ordered tools wasn't in the standard section, but I could very well be mistaken.
    I don't mind so much, as I would have bought special anyway, just wondering why.
  • Silencer91Silencer91 Join Date: 2009-03-13 Member: 66728Members
    Awesome! Will we see commercial mapping contests?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1739517:date=Nov 24 2009, 01:26 PM:name=Prefix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prefix @ Nov 24 2009, 01:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739517"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry, I meant export or whatever to the point where I load it up in-game and spawn.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's no compiling. You load the file you create in the editor and it works in the engine.

We don't have the engine, but you'd only need it to play, because if you want to see how it looks or if it's correctly scaled, etc, that can be done in the editor.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    I would say we have a part of the engine ;)
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    Think it's about time for an NS2 Creation section with an NS2 Mapping forum, eh? Eh, Compy? *Nudge, Nudge*
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just installed, started and looking at the tutorials right now.

Kinda remembers me off Google Sketchup? (Never touched hammer...)
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Cool! Downloaded it asap, but haven't yet found the tutorials. Some playing around tells me it's completely different from hammer - so I wasn't even able to create a room. :p

Gonna play around with it a lot upcoming weeks though - definitely wish to make a proper map this time!
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Was at work when i got the email saying it was finally available, I think everyone in my department heard me scream and yell.
  • jaminjamin Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63332Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1739517:date=Nov 24 2009, 12:26 PM:name=Prefix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prefix @ Nov 24 2009, 12:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739517"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry, I meant export or whatever to the point where I load it up in-game and spawn.

So people will be able to make maps and animations etc for a game they won't have (at the alpha stage anyway)?
    And I swear when I pre-ordered tools wasn't in the standard section, but I could very well be mistaken.
    I don't mind so much, as I would have bought special anyway, just wondering why.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Stop whine.
    You shouldn't even be thinking about making a playable map yet. It's pre alpha... barely any gameplay at this stage will be final or even slightly representative of the final release.
    Just use this time to get used to the tools.. make a few rooms then when the alpha/beta comes around go into full map mode.
  • jaminjamin Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63332Members
    edited November 2009
  • PollyPolly Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67686Members
    Having some problems, editor won't load any models, textures or entites.

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->Couldn't open file "shaders/deferred.fx"
    Couldn't open file "materials/dev/dev_1024x1024.material"
    Couldn't open file "notfound.dds"
    Couldn't open file "materials/dev/dev_floor_grid.material"
    Couldn't open file "fonts/arial.ttf"
    Couldn't open file "shaders/blur.fx"
    Couldn't load 'ns2.editor_setup'
    Couldn't open file "shaders/editormaterial.fx"
    Couldn't open file "shaders/occlusion.fx"<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

Installed in default directory C:\Program Files\Natural Selection 2.
    Running Windows Vista x86 on admin account
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    as I remember access to alpha and tools was "for pre orders" and there was never written "for special edition only"
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Are mappers going to get an early game overview to explain how to make balanced NS2 maps? Even just the basic map structure could be heavily influenced by knowing the details behind alien abilities, marine tech, siege ranges, dynamic infestation, etc. If people design maps based on their own personal theories and have to modify them to fit the game later, the balance might suffer.
  • iKossuiKossu Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11593Members
    edited November 2009
    Nice work! I finally got the editor up and running but it doesn't work the way the dude uses it in the tutorial. Drawing a rectagle to a side doesn't split it like in the tutorial.

Just had the first blue screen of death with Vista Home Premium OEM x64 and I've had this for little over 2 years and 2 months. I'm not a happy camper as they say.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    i am the only one that finds the tool a bit confusing and hard ? Guess i am so use to hammer.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Ugh. Tried it using the vids as my guide. Every 10 actions or so, the editor gave out on me and crashed. I do think it's more intuitive than hammer, but currently it seems much harder to actually edit vertexes and stuff. I'm still in the grey as to whether I like it or not.

Anyone got a hint to get it running a bit more stable? I'm running a Win7 x64 (retail 7600) computer with good specs.
  • heWantedMeToChangeMyNameheWantedMeToChangeMyName Join Date: 2009-10-22 Member: 69115Members
    The download just completed as I was making this post. Can't wait to try it out!
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    Some people seem to be forgetting this is an alpha. It's purpose is to help you help them make the editor better, not make fully playable map and start playing Natural Selection 2.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1739603:date=Nov 24 2009, 09:05 AM:name=ZeroFate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZeroFate @ Nov 24 2009, 09:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739603"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Some people seem to be forgetting this is an alpha. It's purpose is to help you help them make the editor better, not make fully playable map and start playing Natural Selection 2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

QFT.

Downloading now.

Squee'd in my pants.

Yip yip yip yip yip!