"lockdown" mode

12346»

Comments

• ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1731378:date=Oct 8 2009, 08:30 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Oct 8 2009, 08:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731378"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lifeforms tend to die sometimes. It's bad enough to lose the bigger lifeforms already with the NS1 marine firepower, now losing an onos sounds like even bigger deal. It's not fun to lose a 20 minute round to one dead onos. Losing the 1st fade is already bad enough in NS if you ask me, no need to make the lifeform death even more decisive.

Rushing to endgame isn't a particularly interesting mechanic either, it's much more interesting if earlier techs are somewhat able to fight off the final techs, with disadvantage of course. That's hopefully the case in NS2 too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hopefully it is.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Right, there should be mechanics from early game that can cause a change in end game.

Is lockdown mode started end ended by click or is there a timescale?
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1731355:date=Oct 8 2009, 05:44 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Oct 8 2009, 05:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731355"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sounds like a relatively hard counter to me. It might be annoying to face lockdown without an onos.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lob some gorge gob at it, or hit it with acid rockets. I find it hard to imagine that the entire alien side will be completely devoid of ranged weaponry, when the marines can fly it's just not at all reasonable to expect players to mid-air-melee them considering only one alien can fly, I mean I guess you could try fade blinking at them but I imagine most players would miss and it's hardly practical when the entire marine team can fly with shotguns or other equally powerful weapons.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1731528:date=Oct 9 2009, 01:24 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Oct 9 2009, 01:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731528"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lob some gorge gob at it, or hit it with acid rockets. I find it hard to imagine that the entire alien side will be completely devoid of ranged weaponry, when the marines can fly it's just not at all reasonable to expect players to mid-air-melee them considering only one alien can fly, I mean I guess you could try fade blinking at them but I imagine most players would miss and it's hardly practical when the entire marine team can fly with shotguns or other equally powerful weapons.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, it worked just fine in NS. JPs cost res for a reason and are still surprisingly vulnerable without decent aim and JP skills.

As for the ranged attacks I don't know. As long as it's ranged vs melee, there's no way the aliens are going to match the firepower of marines. On NS1 logic it would be tricky to get more than a few spits or a spore cloud to the position as long as the lockdown has a few mobile marines for support.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1731500:date=Oct 9 2009, 07:19 AM:name=whoppaXXL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whoppaXXL @ Oct 9 2009, 07:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731500"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is lockdown mode started end ended by click or is there a timescale?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm assuming you're asking whether it takes time to enter lockdown or if it is instantaneous? I for one hope it takes time to play a sweet "deploy" animation, because like I commented earlier the initial firing delay is a large factor in balancing a powerful offensive weapon.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1731528:date=Oct 9 2009, 06:24 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Oct 9 2009, 06:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731528"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lob some gorge gob at it, or hit it with acid rockets. I find it hard to imagine that the entire alien side will be completely devoid of ranged weaponry, when the marines can fly <b>it's just not at all reasonable to expect players to mid-air-melee them</b> considering only one alien can fly, I mean I guess you could try fade blinking at them but I imagine most players would miss and it's hardly practical when the entire marine team can fly with shotguns or other equally powerful weapons.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Unless things have really changed in NS2, it is entirely reasonable to expect players to mid-air melee the marines. It happens hundreds of times a round on those combat only servers.

In fact, it's far easier than hitting with any of the alien ranged weapons.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    It's pretty pointless to comment on this as it is because it could work stunningly with the new design or it could be horrible. As long as it's always optional and is balanced, and cannot be exploited it will work just fine.