NS2 release date

obsidobsid Join Date: 2003-09-16 Member: 20909Members
edited September 2009 in NS2 General Discussion
I'm kind of sad, I was hoping to see NS2 this fall. I just cant imagine them being able to release an alpha, and then a beta, and then release in the next two months. Is the release still schedualed for fall (and if not maybe you should update www.naturalselection2.com)?

Comments

• whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    does it say fall '09 ?
  • minibananaminibanana Join Date: 2009-09-03 Member: 68682Members
    Natural Selection 2 is an immersive, online FPS that pits aliens against humans in a strategic and action-packed struggle for survival (FAQ). It is a standalone commercial sequel to the popular Half-life mod and is scheduled for release in Fall 2009.

Its on the main home page at the very bottom under Welcome. I think that is what he was talking about.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Maybe alpha release in the Fall, Beta Winter and release new Year. Depends how far along they are, how much cash they have left and how long they have to tweak and balance the gameplay.

I'd assume at this stage, pretty much most of the art assets would be done and mapping half to mostly done, if they're just doing 4 maps for release.
  • Invader_ScootInvader_Scoot Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21669Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1727296:date=Sep 15 2009, 12:33 AM:name=obsid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (obsid @ Sep 15 2009, 12:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727296"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm kind of sad, I was hoping to see NS2 this fall. I just cant imagine them being able to release an alpha, and then a beta, and then release in the next two months. Is the release still schedualed for fall (and if not maybe you should update www.naturalselection2.com)?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it is still definitely safe to assume we will be seeing <b>some</b> sort of release this year. I do believe the original Fall date may have been a little... ambitious but it's really nothing to exactly worry about. There are plenty of games (and albums too!) coming out this fall and winter season to keep me busy and while I would love to have my number 1 come out on its original date it won't bother me too much.

Of all the games I don't want rushed this is THE game.
  • DarkCatDarkCat Join Date: 2009-09-10 Member: 68736Members
    I Say let them take there time i don't want them to rush because games are art, and vary few game company's look at that any more so hopefully the alpha comes out soon but for the final game let them bee besides how many game company's let you buy into the alpha. I think they are off to a good start with this!
  • ShinobiRAGEShinobiRAGE Join Date: 2009-08-09 Member: 68401Members
    maybe the alpha and beta are going to be short?
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1727317:date=Sep 15 2009, 05:31 PM:name=ShinobiRAGE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ShinobiRAGE @ Sep 15 2009, 05:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727317"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->maybe the alpha and beta are going to be short?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That could be possible.

I would say that 99% of the game will be done by the time the alpha/beta is out and all that will be left is debugging, optimisation and gameplay tweaks.

edit:

in before lock.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Paraphrasing, but IIRC Flayra said something like "our publishers let slip the game will be released this fall- but that'll likely be our beta"

<b>From what we've seen</b> there's no way a beta will make it in 2009 but Max has said many times that just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean it hasn't been done.

That said I'd still be hugely (pleasantly) surprised if we did see a beta before the new year. My money for the alpha is still October 31st for nostalgia's sake.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1727319:date=Sep 15 2009, 12:41 PM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glimmerman @ Sep 15 2009, 12:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727319"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would say that 99% of the game will be done by the time the alpha/beta is out and all that will be left is debugging, optimisation and gameplay tweaks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is not a small task.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1727303:date=Sep 15 2009, 07:49 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Sep 15 2009, 07:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe alpha release in the Fall, Beta Winter and release new Year. Depends how far along they are, how much cash they have left and how long they have to tweak and balance the gameplay.

I'd assume at this stage, pretty much most of the art assets would be done and mapping half to mostly done, if they're just doing 4 maps for release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    that would be the best possible case... they simply ran outa money, so they had to anounce something to get us to buy the preorder - damed, got my money and play the alpha without me :/
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1727340:date=Sep 15 2009, 12:15 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Sep 15 2009, 12:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727340"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Paraphrasing, but IIRC Flayra said something like "our publishers let slip the game will be released this fall- but that'll likely be our beta"

<b>From what we've seen</b> there's no way a beta will make it in 2009 but Max has said many times that just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean it hasn't been done.

That said I'd still be hugely (pleasantly) surprised if we did see a beta before the new year. My money for the alpha is still October 31st for nostalgia's sake.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No no, jim. The surprise is I will pop up behind you on the night of the 31st and BAM! Over the head with a brick. And make off with your Subaru.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1727343:date=Sep 15 2009, 12:20 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Sep 15 2009, 12:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727343"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is not a small task.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree. It can take a really really long time to weed out the bugs in a really big program (think months up to a year). And even if you can assume that most (100% bug removal is impossible to guarantee... they always hide in the often unused features... just waiting for the right moment to strike) bugs are gone, and you can say... "STABLE"... then the next phase begins... optimizing... where you write a lot of new code to replace a lot of old slow (but already tested code)... and ultimately for a few small optimizations, you may have either added new bugs to the program... or made other (undetected till now) bugs visible.

O and lets not forget that when you think you squashed a bug... the testing that is needed in order to be satisfied that you did. Because for every bug, their will a special sequence of steps in order to reproduce it... Unfortunately the devs are so far only having an automated crash-detection-report thing going into the alpha.... It won't work as well as they think it will. I mean if microsoft is forced to have a website where you can go and fill out bug reports for annoying (non-crash-causing) bugs... then do you really think you will scratch the surface with that crash report thing??

Hmm all this talking about bugs... i remember on one occasion where a new version of visual studio came out... and apparently the m$ devs never tested the software for situations where you did not install it in c:\program files (or maybe it was having spaces in some folder name... can't remember)... well needless to say the fix was easy... but the time it took me to communicate with them on their "Connect" website took some time... starting with the filling out of a bug report... and then a week or so until a ms dev could respond... and i could never enjoy the new fix until the service pack... which was months later.

O and then their was that bug i found in WPF... ya little annoying but if your monitor is sleeping, and a wpf dialog spawns during that time... that when your monitor awakens... the dialog window would be unpainted... white... blank... a bit annoying... minor bug... obviously associated with some sort of optimization they incorporated into wpf... or whatever... directx. The dev said he was unsure if the fix could be completed in time for the next wpf update...
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1727351:date=Sep 15 2009, 08:12 PM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Sep 15 2009, 08:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727351"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No no, jim. The surprise is I will pop up behind you on the night of the 31st and BAM! Over the head with a brick. And make off with your Subaru.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

EVIL OLI EVIL
  • SlaughtSlaught Join Date: 2005-02-12 Member: 40780Members
    Tomorrow...Maybe...
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1727296:date=Sep 14 2009, 09:33 PM:name=obsid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (obsid @ Sep 14 2009, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727296"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm kind of sad, I was hoping to see NS2 this fall. I just cant imagine them being able to release an alpha, and then a beta, and then release in the next two months. Is the release still schedualed for fall (and if not maybe you should update www.naturalselection2.com)?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There are 3 months left, but I still agree that they are already past their deadline. I imagine they are now simply shooting for an alpha release within the year.

<!--quoteo(post=1727319:date=Sep 15 2009, 02:41 AM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glimmerman @ Sep 15 2009, 02:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727319"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That could be possible.

I would say that 99% of the game will be done by the time the alpha/beta is out and all that will be left is debugging, optimisation and gameplay tweaks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Debugging and quality control typically represents 50% of the development process. The game won't even be 99% done by the official release date.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    I've been waiting for ns2 for ages. I bought hl2 when it came out just for ns2. I thought back then ns2 would come out soon enough.

But the wait doesn't makes me sad. On the contrary I have great faith in what the Ns team is doing and I greatly think what they're doing is what is best. What is most definitely want is them to do things at the right pace. I hate to be pushed when I'm working for something and I strongly believe things need time to be done well. When the time comes we will have the alpha and it is going to be the best thing in video game world since ages.

You guys should be happy enough the forum is up and here! At some point I felt ns2 was never going to happen yet I continued coming hoping for things to come back and roll. Some people just don't know what they've been through to get things going. And now everything is going just nicely so trust them and let them do what they must do in the time it needs them to do.

They owe us nothing, they are just doing what they love and that is how things are meant to be.
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1727749:date=Sep 18 2009, 12:29 AM:name=Evil_bOb1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Evil_bOb1 @ Sep 18 2009, 12:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727749"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They owe us nothing<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

$40 :P
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1727749:date=Sep 18 2009, 12:29 AM:name=Evil_bOb1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Evil_bOb1 @ Sep 18 2009, 12:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727749"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You guys should be happy enough the forum is up and here!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I feel ya. Even when the UWE site was down "for maintenance" for like a year and a half I still checked it everyday hoping it would come back eventually...and it did! :D
  • CHAOS100CHAOS100 Join Date: 2009-07-23 Member: 68244Members
    Last time I checked they wanted a Q3 release date, well Q3 is ending in a couple weeks and they are still working on the models, so I think realistically February, unless they manage to debug and incorporate those assets fast and have it all coded properly already, then maybe this year.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1727896:date=Sep 18 2009, 10:12 AM:name=CHAOS100)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CHAOS100 @ Sep 18 2009, 10:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727896"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Last time I checked they wanted a Q3 release date, well Q3 is ending in a couple weeks and they are still working on the models, so I think realistically February, unless they manage to debug and incorporate those assets fast and have it all coded properly already, then maybe this year.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe there needs to be more Lorks on the Refrigerator, to give them an incentive to hurry up and finish before they can relocate, again.
  • [WHO]Mr.Black[WHO]Mr.Black Join Date: 2009-06-14 Member: 67841Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1727897:date=Sep 18 2009, 10:18 AM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ Sep 18 2009, 10:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727897"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe there needs to be more Lorks on the Refrigerator, to give them an incentive to hurry up and finish before they can relocate, again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    well at least each time the relocate they get into a bigger place... Don't they? Hey, what's the Word of God on this?
  • weclockweclock Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67506Members
    I bought access to the Alpha, if they skip it, I'm going to be sooo angry
    <!--quoteo(post=1732678:date=Oct 18 2009, 03:11 PM:name=weclock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weclock @ Oct 18 2009, 03:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732678"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I bought access to the Alpha, if they skip it, I'm going to be sooo angry<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Their not skipping alpha and they never said anything about October 31, that was pure community speculation.
  • weclockweclock Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67506Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1732679:date=Oct 18 2009, 08:14 AM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Oct 18 2009, 08:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732679"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Their not skipping alpha and they never said anything about October 31, that was pure community speculation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Funny, I don't read speculation, I just read news.
    I guess the source I heard it from was wrong.

Oh wait, I remember now, when I first discovered the preorder, it was from KFDMonkey, on another site he works at.. Wegame.com.

So it was his speculation.
  • OnozkiOnozki Join Date: 2005-04-20 Member: 48948Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    NS1 was released on 31th october. That is 13(?(too lazy to count))days from now. If we dont see somekind of release on that day im gonna ###### bricks.
  • kickerkicker Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62397Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Onozki+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onozki)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->NS1 was released on 31th october. That is 13(?(too lazy to count))days from now. If we dont see somekind of release on that day im gonna ###### bricks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

im just quoting in case nothing happens on 31th october xD
    <!--quoteo(post=1732682:date=Oct 18 2009, 03:45 PM:name=Onozki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onozki @ Oct 18 2009, 03:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732682"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 was released on 31th october. That is 13(?(too lazy to count))days from now. If we dont see somekind of release on that day im gonna ###### bricks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And if you don't ###### bricks on october 31st I'm gonna be so pissed! Thats false advertising and I'll hate you and everyone forever!

*ironic sarcasm over*
  • KungFuDiscoMonkeyKungFuDiscoMonkey Creator of ns_altair 日本福岡県 Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14555Members, NS1 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos
    <!--quoteo(post=1732681:date=Oct 18 2009, 08:30 AM:name=weclock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weclock @ Oct 18 2009, 08:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732681"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Funny, I don't read speculation, I just read news.
    I guess the source I heard it from was wrong.

Oh wait, I remember now, when I first discovered the preorder, it was from KFDMonkey, on another site he works at.. Wegame.com.

So it was his speculation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't recall making that speculation.
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    I'll be happy enough if they release the Mapping tools on 31st octover :D
  • davidcavalcantedavidcavalcante Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67754Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1732704:date=Oct 18 2009, 03:57 PM:name=Seker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Seker @ Oct 18 2009, 03:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732704"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll be happy enough if they release the Mapping tools on 31st octover :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They've said about one month ago that the tools were going to be released "soonish".
    LOL =P
This discussion has been closed.