Development Blog Update - Gorge reveal

Comments

• WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    Maybe I'm the only one imagining this, but the gorge reveal picture seems to suggest something... What if the Gorge lays down those generic sacks of ... god only knows what, and the alien commander then chooses what evolution they take? IE, a Gorge lays down five generic goo sacks, the alien commander selections them, and makes three movements and two sensory. (The Gorge has the choice of making them Offensive or Defensive on his own, of course.)

I know that hasn't been mentioned once by the team, but it's definately a vibe I'm picking up from the picture itself.
  • davidcavalcantedavidcavalcante Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67754Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1724711:date=Aug 23 2009, 10:43 PM:name=ZeroFate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZeroFate @ Aug 23 2009, 10:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724711"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe I'm the only one imagining this, but the gorge reveal picture seems to suggest something... What if the Gorge lays down those generic sacks of ... god only knows what, and the alien commander then chooses what evolution they take? IE, a Gorge lays down five generic goo sacks, the alien commander selections them, and makes three movements and two sensory. (The Gorge has the choice of making them Offensive or Defensive on his own, of course.)

I know that hasn't been mentioned once by the team, but it's definately a vibe I'm picking up from the picture itself.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That makes a lot of sense.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1724716:date=Aug 24 2009, 12:37 PM:name=davidcavalcante)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davidcavalcante @ Aug 24 2009, 12:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724716"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That makes a lot of sense.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

sounds a little clumsy - imagine if marines had to have a welder (turn into a gorge), then go somewhere and activate an ability, and then wait for the commander to drop a structure - what if the commander doesn't want it in that spot?
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I am imaging those seedlings grow dynamic infestation that the alien commander controls.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    Why yes, wooden sandals are extremely relevant and contributory to this thread. Thank you for that wonderful insight :|
  • WhiteWolf22WhiteWolf22 Join Date: 2009-08-21 Member: 68559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1724711:date=Aug 24 2009, 01:43 AM:name=ZeroFate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZeroFate @ Aug 24 2009, 01:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724711"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe I'm the only one imagining this, but the gorge reveal picture seems to suggest something... What if the Gorge lays down those generic sacks of ... god only knows what, and the alien commander then chooses what evolution they take? IE, a Gorge lays down five generic goo sacks, the alien commander selections them, and makes three movements and two sensory. (The Gorge has the choice of making them Offensive or Defensive on his own, of course.)

I know that hasn't been mentioned once by the team, but it's definately a vibe I'm picking up from the picture itself.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm ok - thats a great direction, but as mentioned before, it might interfere with the interests of the alien commander. How's that :

The alien comm can place a kind of "waypoints" (something, only the aliens can sense) where he wants the gorge to place those ... [whatever these slimey things are :D ]. Once they're in place, they create a little infestation and the comm can control them - he can choose, which structure they will be, and if he doesn't want them there, he can destroy them.

EDIT: I could imagine that those goo sacks don't need to be a structure, maybe the alien comm can make them explode, like remote controlled bombs ? That might be a nice defense, and gives the gorge a new strategic aspect.
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    While gorges won't be dropping MC chambers, have we forgotten about that weird phase gate like warp tunnel that aliens will get in NS2?
    A while back it has an entry point and an exit point, and in between there was a halfway chamber? That there, would be the answer to 'no MCs'.

Lerk lift should only work on Skulks and Gorges. Forget Onos. It's silly, unrealistic and unfair. For that matter, maybe only Gorges seeing as that's what the +hook mod
    have in common. Lerk Lift + Gorge = a fast flying mobile healer (that can rain slow spit from above) vs a (solo) Gorge with spiderman abilities..

Onos is a ground assault form, leave it there.
  • MrChadMrChad Melbourne, Australia Join Date: 2008-07-02 Member: 64536Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1724760:date=Aug 24 2009, 11:05 PM:name=resresres)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (resresres @ Aug 24 2009, 11:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724760"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lerk lift should only work on Skulks and Gorges. Forget Onos. It's silly, unrealistic and unfair.

Onos is a ground assault form, leave it there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have to agree with that. No way will the muscles of the lerk be able to carry something as big as the onos :P
    edited August 2009
    How do I link images in signature again? seems it was 20px high, but killed the old code so now i dont even know how to fix it
    and the BB code help link doesn't pop up anything >_<

Sorted this out. But still, the BB Code Help box doesn't do anything and there is no links to help me figure this out on this site (google saved the day)
  • ScribblesScribbles Join Date: 2003-11-05 Member: 22323Members
    edited August 2009
    But how we shot web? :(

<!--quoteo(post=1724761:date=Aug 24 2009, 08:14 AM:name=MrChad)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrChad @ Aug 24 2009, 08:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724761"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have to agree with that. No way will the muscles of the lerk be able to carry something as big as the onos :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The bacteria can surf on the nanites.
  • BlaiseBlaise Join Date: 2009-08-03 Member: 68346Members
  • MarcusAureliusMarcusAurelius Join Date: 2008-01-28 Member: 63518Members, Constellation
    Is the fade going to look like littlefoot? Google "sarah land before time"
  • [WHO]Mr.Black[WHO]Mr.Black Join Date: 2009-06-14 Member: 67841Members
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1724039:date=Aug 20 2009, 02:16 PM:name=Invader_Scoot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Invader_Scoot @ Aug 20 2009, 02:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724039"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Once a Gorge, always a Gorge. Here's to my fellow perma-Gorges!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Cheers! I'm concerned though, I dunno if it waddles enough. >.<

Also I think gorges being able to spread dynamic infestation is a great idea. Think of it, commando gorge hiking out to cut the powerlines to a rine outpost... laming it up to hold out while getting support from the rest of the team! It's brilliant tactics! The nut to hard to crack? Cut the supply lines by spreading out in a flank attack. Power dies, outpost is now cake-post. I also don't know about OC "flowers" one of the uses for OCs and DCs were to block the lines of fire and create physical barriers in NS1. How else was a good little lamer gorgie supposed to survive and heal his outpost if the chambers don't block the line of fire?

Only thing about DI though is gorges might be a little OPed if they could create the infestation rather than just spread it. It should require something to create, either a powernode (IE: resource tower) or maybe a Hive. I say allow them to create it anywhere right away and we'll bang it out in Alpha/Beta. There's no harm in seeing how it works out.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    waddle animation not shown yet^ dont worry he'll jiggle in typical gorge fashion :D
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Giving the gorge the abiility to spread the infestation would be a nice touch, especially if DI was required for chamber growth.

I can imagine gorges using heal spray to spread the infestation to where they want to grow their OCs and DCs, that'd add a nice bit of depth to the character.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1724883:date=Aug 25 2009, 05:34 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Aug 25 2009, 05:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724883"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Giving the gorge the abiility to spread the infestation would be a nice touch, especially if DI was required for chamber growth.

I can imagine gorges using heal spray to spread the infestation to where they want to grow their OCs and DCs, that'd add a nice bit of depth to the character.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd definitely want to limit the amount they can affect the DI, just so that gorges don't feel compelled to spam healspray constantly, everywhere they go. One spray could increase DI rate for a certain radius (only near DI's border, and only for a little while...maybe 30 seconds)
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Giving the gorge the abiility to spread the infestation would be a nice touch, especially if DI was required for chamber growth.

I can imagine gorges using heal spray to spread the infestation to where they want to grow their OCs and DCs, that'd add a nice bit of depth to the character.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe there's the Spore Mines, Gorges can set.
  • GroxxGroxx Join Date: 2009-03-17 Member: 66789Members
    edited August 2009
    <!--QuoteBegin-Liger_XT5+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Liger_XT5)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I see a new mod coming on for NS: Gorge Bowling<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    YES! Gorge Bowling, Gorge (Marble) Madness, Gorge Pinball.... this <i>has</i> to be at least modable (moddable? I can never decide if it's hyphenated, single-D, or double-D), if not directly included.

<!--QuoteBegin-borsuk+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (borsuk)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Gorge could swallow grenads to 1) shield nearby lifeforms and structures from damage, and 2) to explode from inside, allowing him to go on suicide bombing runs and killing marines if timed right.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm not a fan of suiciding, as tends to get spammed / abused (as xenocide gets, at times), and has arguable benefits. If weak, it's worthless, and at best a very last-ditch before-death move that won't get used often. If strong, it's just going to piss people off. I seriously doubt there <i>is</i> a "happy medium" to suicide bombing. Plus, slide + boom = super hard to kill Xenocide. Nobody likes that. Easy-to-kill skulks meant marines had a chance if they were observant, but fast, sturdier bombs? Heck no. And remember that lerks may still carry aliens in NS2 (I certainly hope so).
    As for swallowing grenades, though, I think that has some serious benefits. Apply a bit of damage to health & energy, and I'd use it... just have to balance it carefully with the grenade launcher's power, as this is at best a delaying strategy (and should NOT cause zero damage to the gorge. That's just a GL nerfer).

As others have mentioned, crouch while running makes perfect sense for sliding. I'd go for that, personally.
    Only sliding on infestation, and the "god knows what" that a gorge may hork up <i>creating</i> infestation lends an interesting, possibly critical strategic value to sliding.
    And I hadn't even thought of a lerk drop-slide before I saw it in the thread. That would be hilarious, useful, and tricky all at the same time, a quality that exists in a lot of great games. Definitely gets my vote.

Also, as to the animations: excellent work, <b>but</b>, watch those tentacles. They're a bit twitchy and/or stiff with some moves (on the Gorge, with the spit-take after the walking, and I think I recall it on other aliens too), which is a huge break from the otherwise excellently fluid animations in other situations. And imagine seeing that odd tentacle flip 10,000 more times in-game, and <i>feel</i> the immersion break. I think part of it is also that they flare a bit at the beginning, and don't seem to move much at all when the hindquarters rise quickly.
    Might I recommend having them flip up <i>all</i> the way, so they rebound off the gorge naturally, thus keeping the short animation needed for a rapid-fire attack?
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1724898:date=Aug 25 2009, 12:57 PM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Aug 25 2009, 12:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd definitely want to limit the amount they can affect the DI, just so that gorges don't feel compelled to spam healspray constantly, everywhere they go. One spray could increase DI rate for a certain radius (only near DI's border, and only for a little while...maybe 30 seconds)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes that's a good point, they shouldn't be spreading it constantly.

How about, they can spread it temporarily from the main bulk, up to a maximum distance let's say big enough to encompass anywhere in a room, then if they drop a chamber on it, the infestation grows out from the chmber too, but it doesn't extend the main body at all.

So basically, dropping a res harvester in the room would give you a sort of 'infestation fountain' which grows around the harvester and maybe spreads thin amounts of infestation a bit wider to cover quite a bit of the room, then gorges can spread it around with their heal spray and place towers inside the room to finish off the infestation and really 'xenoform' the area.

The main problem would be how to get the infestation onto high up areas, heal spray would have limited range, and I'd like to have infestation really covering an area.

I suppose you could have it so that if a room is heavily entrenched in alien territory, and doesn't border on the marine areas at all, the infestation spreads thickly on its own.

So gorges would be able to develop front line rooms more heavily, now all you need is some real reason for them to do so, getting kills with OCs and maybe some points for DCs healing would be part of it, but I think the aliens should get some benefit from the infestation itself, maybe a small speed boost or a bonus to energy/health regeneration, or maybe gorges can climb infested surfaces like skulks can normal walls? That might be a bit over the top but it would give gorges a great incentive to spread it to places as a means of access to get their OCs and DCs in better positions and it would solve the problem of them being unable to spread it everywhere. Might not suit the gorge movement though, big fat blob probably can't climb.
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    I wonder if we'll go back to gorges being able to suckle off the res-nodes?

Mouth looks wrong though, so probably not.
  • Friendly GorgeFriendly Gorge Join Date: 2009-01-28 Member: 66215Members
    AHH! Even the death animation is cute, now I'll never be able to kill a gorge again.
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Energy is like the equivalent of alien ammo, but it never runs out[...] [...] At some point though, he'll run out of energy<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know what you are saying, I played NS1 extensively, it's just worded funny! :)
  • O-FaceO-Face Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12311Members
    I think the Gorge should retain the ability to shoot them glowing, slimy, smelly things out of his mouth, but a new ability to shoot stuff out his butt should also be added. This would be a nasty (and I do mean nasty) surprise when the Marines go chasing after a Gorge. The 'rines are like, "hey! Easy Gorge kill!", and suddenly, out of his butt hole a load of glowing, nastiness comes flying out, covering the human invaders in glowing, slimy, stinky Gorge filth. I think I'd rather get digested by an Onos.
    Some other suggestions for gorge abilities:

Sporemines perhaps, with Disorientating gas that shoots out, does no damage. Limit 3 per gorge per life, like claymores in COD, gorge dies, they disappear.

Web that's harder to see, very thin like real webbing, and if you shine your torch on it, it reflects silvery light?
    Still adds a slow effect (which would be consistant with the spit), AC tech ups boosts slow effect by +2.5 sec (per tech up)?

Heal spray alt fire = slower, more effective heal and spreads DI
    Or, some sort of area of effect cloud spray similar to Lerk spore spray
    Or, unlocked at 3rd hive, area of effect temporarily enhances defensive abilities of Kharaa and structures (and self) in range; Like Lerk's primal, only boosts defense.
    (again, consistant with the new 'support' class that it is, (engineer/medic special boost)) - can only use it once every 30 sec, lasts for 10, 15, 20 sec with AC's tech ups.
  • FuNiOnZFuNiOnZ Join Date: 2004-02-05 Member: 26112Members
    I remember when I used to play gloom for Quake 2, where the aliens were given some sort of 'mine', when its proximity was breached, it would explode and shoot spikes in every direction. You could also lay eggs in corpses and it would unleash flies and a gas that hurts anyone who comes within range of the corpse (corpse is destroyable). Gloom and NS were alot alike now that I look back at it..
  • HappyWulfHappyWulf Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18566Members
    This makes me happy. Can't wait for Alpha and other tools. =3
    You guys are brilliant. With this update, the Tazer, and everything else.
  • JaneJane Seriously&#33;? Join Date: 2003-07-01 Member: 17835Members, Constellation
    I really do hope they add fun things like belly slides and such do I'm glad to hear about the <3 gorges are getting. Just a small quggestion, if it is later considered too much of a benefit for gorges to have a slide ability, maybe you could change it to just a belly roll like shift or "crouch" right rolls you a little to the right, shift or "crouch" left rolls you a little to the left (marines could have a tuck and roll thing too in the same manor) - obviously not near as cool as sliding down a ramp, but would be better than just the normal run or try to fend off a marine until backup comes. NS 1 had a lot of quarky little fun things that were taken away due to "game balance" and some such so I assume the sliding gorges will not last long or end up near as cool as they sound, but I'm glad the thought was there. =) All in all, sounds great <3 the gorgey and I think the updates are cute. The being able to curl into a defensive stance is a very good casual ability and the changes to spit make for a very nice competitve option so sounds good there. I also think it's a great idea to decrease the spit range since they aren't meant to be like lerks with the yummy yummy long range damage action.
  • scratchiescratchie Join Date: 2006-11-01 Member: 58167Members
    edited August 2009
    Great update, really informative. Cant wait to test this new Gorge out. His slow and Damage over time can really make him a respected team member who not only hides and infests dark chambers no marine wanders of to. I hope gorges will be seen more on the front lines with the new skillset. The belly slide looks very cool aswell. A great escape skill but there are not that many ramps that you can use in your advantage. I like the fact that he gains an escape skill, because a gorge in offensive mode was usual a suicidal tanking mission to focus attention on yourself. I hope this skill gets a little more advantages because if it can only be used with slopes its not that great of an asset but more a "hey look im gliding" skill.

(hmm have a lost my CM status? :S )