Development Blog Update - Gorge reveal

Comments

• niaccurshiniaccurshi Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11629Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1724504:date=Aug 22 2009, 04:05 PM:name=Tylerm1983)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tylerm1983 @ Aug 22 2009, 04:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724504"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wish you guys would explain or reveal on why you are removing specific abilities. Like xenocide and webs.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A guess: Xenocide and webs were as weapons an extremely over-inflated method of killing and trapping marines. At a hive 3 situation the aliens should be powerful enough to win, yet even with the third sensory chamber it required extreme abilities to finally take out the other side. Without webs jpers could relatively easily battle back to a 2 hive situation, without leap-xenocide marines could easily hole themselves up and last out for a long time. Obviously this depended on skill levels, usually with the marines having a good commander and team.

I would hope that what's going to happen now is a better balance of how the two sides resource models and powers work so that it isn't required for the team that has 90% map control to use overly strong abilities just to close and win in some games.

<!--quoteo(post=1724505:date=Aug 22 2009, 04:16 PM:name=Tylerm1983)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tylerm1983 @ Aug 22 2009, 04:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724505"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry but what about building Resource Towers and Hive building? How is this going to play out? I wish you explain a lil more.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Alien Commander.
  • uselessuseless Join Date: 2009-02-15 Member: 66428Members
    Re: Belly Slide, instead of adding another key, why not just make it use the Crouch key while moving (and Crouch while stationary is Damage Soak).
  • Gamer-XGamer-X Join Date: 2008-03-22 Member: 63930Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2009
    Quick question, since there are only OCs and DCs now and it wouldnt make sense to completely remove something like the effects MCs and SCs provided for the team and after reading this
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->His glowing spare tire ties him into the hive somewhat, in that both play a key role in the team's abilities and advancement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    COULD IT BE?! Did you perhaps turn the gorge into a mobile SC/MC?
  • OhcanepOhcanep Join Date: 2009-08-22 Member: 68570Members
    edited August 2009
    The next alien reveal shall unveil the return of the lerk-lift... they could hurl these tubby fellows through corridors and into convenient ramps, gaining enough force to level a whole train of marines! No? :/

<!--quoteo(post=1724228:date=Aug 21 2009, 08:43 AM:name=mumbles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mumbles @ Aug 21 2009, 08:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724228"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps at the end of the death animation the light in the gorge's belly should dim and go out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This would definately be a nice touch and one devs have probably visioned.
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1724549:date=Aug 22 2009, 04:40 PM:name=Ohcanep)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ohcanep @ Aug 22 2009, 04:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724549"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The next alien reveal shall unveil the return of the lerk-lift... they could hurl these tubby fellows through corridors and into convenient ramps, gaining enough force to level a whole train of marines! No? :/

This would definately be a nice touch and one devs have probably visioned.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well.. lerklift would certainly explain why the gorge kind of "drops in" to the reveal. Perhaps this is the solution to 'no ladder climbing'.

How many lerks would it take to lift an Onos?

And what happens to the poor marine they drop it on?
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    Oh my, lerk lift + belly slide... the possibilities are endless.
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I think growing smaller "flowers" on the walls and even on the roof is a great idea. How will he get them up there? Maybe he can spit a small egg, that could be cool.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    ^^Or if the concept art is any indication, he'll projectile vomit them up there :P
  • mumblesmumbles Join Date: 2008-04-08 Member: 64044Members
    I am hopeful that the dynamic infestation is not just a bland, plushy carpet. If the chambers are going to look like flowers that are part of the DI, then there needs to be many other kinds of benign growths in DI to break up the monotony. I'm sure this is something the devs have thought of and have something in mind.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    ABOUT THE CHAMBERS

Shouldn't Gorges at least be able to drop Movement Chambers? Can't really imagine how it will be, if a Gorge has to wait until the com accepts his request for an important chamber like that...

Great work so far, please finish that game soon...:p
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    I am fairly confident that the alien commander drops the chambers and the gorge helps to build them... that sort of thing. They will be engineers with jobs rather than their present oddball sort of career.
  • soapfoamsoapfoam Join Date: 2004-11-17 Member: 32832Members
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, for balance reasons, they need the alien commander, and what would one do if he/she couldn't place structures? Although I prefer a little bit of asymmetrical design (I guess we are all partial to NS1).

I suppose that's why I like that only the evolved form (Gorge) may be able to speed plant growth, and any base level rines are able to assist in object assembly. Speaking of which, I hope 2 rines is the cap on assisted object assembly, (see former sentence) as it could encourage 4-5 person squads to have a few members on cover, (or split up to get the infrastructure up earlier) while also limiting crowding around. I'm sure it would encourage better tactics. I'm just not too fond of the "12 rines building an infantry portal" model when people "build/stop, build/stop" based on alien screeches, plomps, and grunts, and put me in a bad position to get chomped.

I'm thinking there could be two roles (fire support and engineering) of individual squad members and they would receive promotions based on doing well in a role. The perks: equipment for combat oriented soldiers (haven't thought of anything for builders). The commander would call down items into the armory, (instead of just dropping them) and the highest ranking combat squads (based on group data) would get the better equipment first (which is how most coms play it, unless there are griefers stealing weapons to go solo). Basically I'm calling for weapon lockouts for any other squad until the high ranked squads get their gear and some fallback measure when a member of the squad doesn't pick up a weapon reserved for them. (next highest ranked squad/player)
  • TheNinthPlayerTheNinthPlayer Join Date: 2002-05-20 Member: 637Members, Constellation
    This is absolutely fantastic! The Gorge is my favorite class.
  • PaladinDudePaladinDude Join Date: 2006-12-04 Member: 58881Members, Constellation
    I'm hoping the belly slide makes it into the initial release of the game, even if it doesn't I can tell from people's reactions that it'll be modded in at some point!

I can't wait to see a new sport of gorge surfing, the sight of an onos surfing downhill on a gorge will strike fear and WTF into the hearts of the enemy! ;-)
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1724611:date=Aug 23 2009, 10:56 AM:name=PaladinDude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaladinDude @ Aug 23 2009, 10:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724611"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm hoping the belly slide makes it into the initial release of the game, even if it doesn't I can tell from people's reactions that it'll be modded in at some point!

I can't wait to see a new sport of gorge surfing, the sight of an onos surfing downhill on a gorge will strike fear and WTF into the hearts of the enemy! ;-)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ugh... On the other hand I think gorge really needs some kind of movement options, but is belly slide really it? To me it seems quite cartoonish, in a way more atmosphere breaking than skulk bhop for example.

I guess they've got an idea how to pull it off in a classy way though.
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1724613:date=Aug 23 2009, 09:27 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Aug 23 2009, 09:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724613"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ugh... On the other hand I think gorge really needs some kind of movement options, but is belly slide really it? To me it seems quite cartoonish, in a way more atmosphere breaking than skulk bhop for example.

I guess they've got a how to pull it off in a classy way though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2 is gunna have people doing crazy stuff like bhopping. Even without belly slide. That's just how NS is. Belly slide is just adding in an option that's fun. The atmosphere of NS has always been tense yet light-hearted.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1724617:date=Aug 23 2009, 11:46 AM:name=TempesT487)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TempesT487 @ Aug 23 2009, 11:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724617"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 is gunna have people doing crazy stuff like bhopping. Even without belly slide. That's just how NS is. Belly slide is just adding in an option that's fun. The atmosphere of NS has always been tense yet light-hearted.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I partitially agree, but then again it still feels like a weird pick when you consider how much opposition for example jumping marines get just for the atmosphere reasonsing alone.

Oh, and just to clarify once again: I can definitely live with the gorge slide if it works gameplay wise. I'm just sometimes a bit confused on what the game is trying to do with certain decisions.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1724571:date=Aug 23 2009, 01:18 AM:name=mumbles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mumbles @ Aug 23 2009, 01:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724571"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am hopeful that the dynamic infestation is not just a bland, plushy carpet. If the chambers are going to look like flowers that are part of the DI, then there needs to be many other kinds of benign growths in DI to break up the monotony. I'm sure this is something the devs have thought of and have something in mind.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm guessing the dynamic infestation won't simply turn everything uniform green and flat, I mean the demonstration video is pretty old now, considering how far the game has come along, it's probably safe to assume the DI now looks much more 'realistic' and doesn't just grow fixed-height green goo all over everything.

I'd imagine it would grow at varying depths and in tendril-like patterns, and sticking a few nonspecific growths in it here and there surely wouldn't be too hard, hell they might even add in alien light plants or something, like because the DI grows over all the lighting in the room and cuts the power, the aliens get their own lighting system which is darker and a funny colour.

Considering what they've shown of the engine and the DI and the glowing hives, I really think it possible and probable that the DI will transform the levels while still retaining the visual appeal of the game, rather than just painting everything green and plain lit.

Also I'd play this class, even if it doesn't do anything other than spit on people and drop chambers I'd play it. It sounds pretty much like the engineer in TF2, being able to move into an area and set up a tough defence is kinda fun, and considering this is natural selection, and you've got dynamic infestation changing the entire look of the place, it'd be more like going into a place and terraforming it, which is miles cooler than just dropping sentries.

I think it's nice that there's a class for people who aren't neccesarily twitch gods, I could never play aliens in NS1 and gorging there was a bit dull, although I still used to drop chambers everywhere.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1724572:date=Aug 22 2009, 09:29 PM:name=countbasie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (countbasie @ Aug 22 2009, 09:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724572"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ABOUT THE CHAMBERS

Shouldn't Gorges at least be able to drop Movement Chambers? Can't really imagine how it will be, if a Gorge has to wait until the com accepts his request for an important chamber like that...

Great work so far, please finish that game soon...:p<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I wonder this too. Placing movement, sensory, and defense chambers in useful but relatively safe spots for defense or a forward attack point is a pretty big part of the game. I don't mind if the comm does this(it makes sense since they'll have an easier time placing them in marine inaccessible spots), but I'd hate for this aspect of the game to be dropped completely.
  • OpprobriousOpprobrious Join Date: 2008-11-17 Member: 65483Members
    I'm very concerned about these proposed changes.

The gorge will become a combat powerhouse. It's mobile healing was very strong in NS1.

Combine that with an unlimited spam ranged blind/slow, a damage absorb and it's already relatively high HP and we have an extremely powerful class. A class that makes playing marine extremely unfun.

Whatever you do, please don't implement any effects that blind marines.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    The gorge looks wonderfull! It would be nice to see the running animation as a little treat when its finalised.

The only thing that's slightly dissapointing is only 2 structures. Obv we don't know how chambers work in NS2 but if the gorge can place DCs why not allow it to place MCs and SCs as well. Like other people have said all 3 are very good for forward bases and SC networks are amazing fun to build!
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    i know its all about marketing, but why cant i play alpha :D?

give us a ndc and i bite rines with a box model :DDD
    <!--quoteo(post=1724634:date=Aug 23 2009, 04:31 PM:name=Opprobrious)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Opprobrious @ Aug 23 2009, 04:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724634"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm very concerned about these proposed changes.

The gorge will become a combat powerhouse. It's mobile healing was very strong in NS1.

Combine that with an unlimited spam ranged blind/slow, a damage absorb and it's already relatively high HP and we have an extremely powerful class. A class that makes playing marine extremely unfun.

Whatever you do, please don't implement any effects that blind marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

blind is OK but if you only hear a beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

its the game fun death.... you can see at cs:s ... if the screen starts shaking and you got stucked and cant react because the game limits you and your skill,
    omg trow it against the next wall and quit it.... hate such games where skill means nothing.

i say only F A D E!

imagine how high the skill level could be with such things like cs:s flashbangs.... uhyeah.... ns1 would realy be big now with features like THAT...

because you CAN do cool things with the actuall hardware level means not that you SHOULD do and its the way its meant to be....

sry 4 my english again m8s :/
  • CentCent Join Date: 2009-08-09 Member: 68404Members
    He's so cuuuuteeee o_o"
  • Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why do people freak out so much about the spit? Nothing has been said about a blind-like effect. I'll quote it for you:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It also <b>obscures</b> marine players' screens <b>a bit</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I trust UW will do this very good, and it does not sound like more than a slight vision effect. My guess would be a slight blur.
    <!--quoteo(post=1724634:date=Aug 24 2009, 01:31 AM:name=Opprobrious)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Opprobrious @ Aug 24 2009, 01:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724634"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm very concerned about these proposed changes.

Whatever you do, please don't implement any effects that blind marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why is it going to be a combat powerhouse? It's slow, relatively weak and we don't even know how much damage spit is going to do or how fast the projectile will move. It doesn't absorb damage, it takes damage on its adrenalin. I think its fair to say that if 3 marines are shooting at a crouching gorge, its adrenalin isn't going to hold out for very long.
    <!--quoteo(post=1724673:date=Aug 23 2009, 08:48 PM:name=Fluid Core)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fluid Core @ Aug 23 2009, 08:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why do people freak out so much about the spit? Nothing has been said about a blind-like effect. I'll quote it for you:

I trust UW will do this very good, and it does not sound like more than a slight vision effect. My guess would be a slight blur.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

what do you mean with good? the effect of the flash in cs:s is also very "good" but suxx like hell

roxx for the gfx maniak suxx for the gamerZ ...
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1724673:date=Aug 23 2009, 08:48 PM:name=Fluid Core)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fluid Core @ Aug 23 2009, 08:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why do people freak out so much about the spit? Nothing has been said about a blind-like effect. I'll quote it for you:

I trust UW will do this very good, and it does not sound like more than a slight vision effect. My guess would be a slight blur.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No worries, UWE knows what they are doing. They understand that to add something they need to compensate that with something else.

I have no doubt in them.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    with that face armor and belly slide we just NEED a bowling mode to train with the fatball.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Gravity Gun (powered up version) + Gorge belly slide?