Natural Selection 2 News Update - Knife + Pistol = Taser?

Comments

• steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1719764:date=Jul 28 2009, 09:41 PM:name=todd1Ok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (todd1Ok @ Jul 28 2009, 09:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719764"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->every damn FPS game has a knife in it. name one that doesn't.

why cant you name any? cause they're crap. simple as.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Half-life series, bioshock, hl2dm, tf2 (besides spy class), l4d, halo series, goldeneye 64, doom series etc etc

you really have <b>no idea</b> what your talking about.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1719908:date=Jul 29 2009, 02:22 AM:name=steppin'razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steppin'razor @ Jul 29 2009, 02:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719908"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Half-life series, bioshock, hl2dm, tf2 (besides spy class), l4d, halo series, goldeneye 64, doom series etc etc

you really have <b>no idea</b> what your talking about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I support this man's message. I would also like to state that knives are terrible weapons and are more of a tool.
  • gotmuffgotmuff Join Date: 2009-07-27 Member: 68276Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1719908:date=Jul 29 2009, 06:22 AM:name=steppin'razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steppin'razor @ Jul 29 2009, 06:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719908"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Half-life series, bioshock, hl2dm, tf2 (besides spy class), l4d, halo series, goldeneye 64, doom series etc etc

you really have <b>no idea</b> what your talking about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lulz. A classic example of not even bothering to think about the guy's statement regarding the knife in many other games. If he said "the pistol is in every game ever, keep it", and you would say "hey guyz cs, hl, bioshock, tf2 don't have the NS pistol, only deagle etc. You lose teh argumentss." thats just idiotic, no?. In place of knife, read "melee damage weapon", one that involves an actual melee weapon not a redirected taser. Now tell me the answer, hmmm?
  • kflikfli Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42078Members
    pocket flamethrower plz <a href="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wn8lsZxEa_s/SYCEhG8bhxI/AAAAAAAABBQ/rrgRUuN52M8/s400/pocketFT.jpg" target="_blank">http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wn8lsZxEa_s/SYCE...00/pocketFT.jpg</a>
  • Tom HoenTom Hoen Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68004Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1719911:date=Jul 29 2009, 09:31 AM:name=gotmuff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gotmuff @ Jul 29 2009, 09:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719911"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lulz. A classic example of not even bothering to think about the guy's statement regarding the knife in many other games. If he said "the pistol is in every game ever, keep it", and you would say "hey guyz cs, hl, bioshock, tf2 don't have the NS pistol, only deagle etc. You lose teh argumentss." thats just idiotic, no?. In place of knife, read "melee damage weapon", one that involves an actual melee weapon not a redirected taser. Now tell me the answer, hmmm?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In place of knige, read "melee damage weapon", Taser has melee damage stance. It can be count as a melee weapon AND pistol. This is the whole point of having one weapon.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Well, I have to say, I like it. The entire concept, and the reasoning is good.

The only thing it detracts from is... well... the <b>existence</b> of a pistol and knife. I happen to like guns, and I happen to like knives. I was hoping to see some cool designs for both. But really, in the end, it's just eye-candy.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1719911:date=Jul 29 2009, 05:31 PM:name=gotmuff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gotmuff @ Jul 29 2009, 05:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719911"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lulz. A classic example of not even bothering to think about the guy's statement regarding the knife in many other games. If he said "the pistol is in every game ever, keep it", and you would say "hey guyz cs, hl, bioshock, tf2 don't have the NS pistol, only deagle etc. You lose teh argumentss." thats just idiotic, no?. In place of knife, read "melee damage weapon", one that involves an actual melee weapon not a redirected taser. Now tell me the answer, hmmm?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What the taser represents is both a short-mid range (what a pistol should be) and a close melee range weapon (aka the knife). He worded his argument very badly and I pointed that out. So no, the point I was making about that a game isn't necessarily bad just going by the fact it doesn't have a cookie cutter knife/pistol combo is not idiotic.
  • bassportbassport Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25656Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    I like the idea. And it is expandable. You could make a hand computer out of it with which you could hack enemy systems or attach a small radar "alien style". I dunno. It's just expandable.

I don't get why NS2 should be another knife / pistol / mg combo shooter?!

Why not try something else for a change? It isn't even that big a leap from pistol / knife to a taser.

The main reason why I liked NS in the first place was it being different from all the other shooters out there.
  • seraph787seraph787 Join Date: 2008-02-20 Member: 63700Members
    I fully support the hand flamethrower!
    This takes care of structures and medium to short range.

Lets say it has an ammo pack of 10 lasts 3 seconds and it takes 2.5 seconds worth of constant flaming to kill a skulk. Lets say there is a DPS of 2 damage a second for 10 seconds. This allows a single marine to maybe take out 1 skulk or 2 if one is injured.

and if you want to add a backup melee just add a pistol whip movement OR add prongs to the bottom of the pistol and make that a taser.

Watch equilibrum. His pistol bottom pops out a bit to increase damage. You could do something similar where the pistol bottom comes out to become a taser or just another hitting impliment. Now instead of taking out a knife they just flip the gun around and use it like a club.
  • gotmuffgotmuff Join Date: 2009-07-27 Member: 68276Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1719922:date=Jul 29 2009, 11:18 AM:name=seraph787)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (seraph787 @ Jul 29 2009, 11:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719922"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You could do something similar where the pistol bottom comes out to become a taser or just another hitting impliment. Now instead of taking out a knife they just flip the gun around and use it like a club.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I rate this, the projectile taser isn't the best solution but this melee idea for addition of a sharp user-deployed edge into the weapon is excellent. Still melee, still fairly gritty. Moreover its also worth noting that marines would probably be trained in hand to hand combat of some kind (multipurpose - target kharaa/human?) so maintaining a real melee weapon requiring some dexterity like this would be pretty sweet.
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    The current pistol is beautifully designed. The fact that it is a "good weapon" but limited by its clip size makes for great gameplay. I hope this stays true in NS2. The LMG/Pistol/knife fits extremely well into the NS gameplay and environment.
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    Delphic brought up something i was thinking about in the first few pages

had a good point the rest of my praise has already been said huge props

the melee animation, i don't know its going to be a tough one. i think it should look something wild, like if you backed a psych patient into a corner with a tazer. they would swing it wildly to get out, it could also leave a nice fire twirl trail.

so i am guessing it will sit in pistal slot 2 and have primary "tether launch" & secondary "tether electrify" fire, and it will sit in knife slot one and have just a single melee fire or could this also have a 4th mode
  • todd1Oktodd1Ok Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28018Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1719810:date=Jul 28 2009, 11:26 AM:name=king_yo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (king_yo @ Jul 28 2009, 11:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719810"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Doom I, Doom II, ... Quake, Quake 2, ... Painkiller, Duke Nukem, HALF-LIFE (all expect Opposing front).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

errr, maybe not a knife, but definatly the same class of weapon. doom had the chainsaw, quake had the bladesaw, duke had his boot,
    and we all know what gordon had. All close quarters last resort melee weapons. Except maybe the chainsaw. Nothing more fun than running around with that bad boy.

So yes, you are correct, but in retrospect, i think my point still stands.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    There are two issues here. One is about the suitability of a knife vs taser in the NS universe. I personally don't care much for the points being made or the conclusions being drawn from this side of the debate. As far as I'm concerned, it's just paint.

What bothers me is the mechanics of the design.

The marine needs
    1) A melee weapon of last resort with infinite ammo
    2) A secondary ranged weapon with better accuracy but lower damage

There is nothing in this taser idea that rules out either of these requirements.

The issue, as I see it, is that a lot of the noise in this topic is aimed at the aesthetics of the problem. If you guys change it back to knife + pistol but keep your design intention of reducing the sniper qualities of the pistol, then you'll have solved nothing except the aesthetics.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1719932:date=Jul 29 2009, 08:48 AM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (puzl @ Jul 29 2009, 08:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719932"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The issue, as I see it, is that a lot of the noise in this topic is aimed at the aesthetics of the problem. If you guys change it back to knife + pistol but keep your design intention of reducing the sniper qualities of the pistol, then you'll have solved nothing except the aesthetics.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The news update said one of the goals was to have a secondary gun that isn't better than the default weapon. I would prefer that the secondary sidearm not be a sniper weapon, nor deal more damage than the default weapon. Balancing such a weapon (huge rate of fire, double damage, sniper accuracy) was done pretty much only by the clip size. The only thing the NS1 sidearm didn't have was, in fact, a bigger clip size and explosive rounds. I think the way it worked out in NS1 was balanced, but it was a very difficult balance because the sidearm was so godly. I think we need to steer clear of that.

Lower rate of fire, lower damage, lower accuracy. Make that actually worth it with other features (Electricity? Nanites? Structure Killer? Shurikens? On fire?) and I'm sold.

Keep the new sidearm, as is. Well, maybe it'd be better if it were on fire and shot shurikens made from nanites covered in lightning. You can't have everything, though.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1719932:date=Jul 29 2009, 08:48 AM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (puzl @ Jul 29 2009, 08:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719932"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The issue, as I see it, is that a lot of the noise in this topic is aimed at the aesthetics of the problem. <b>If you guys change it back to knife + pistol but keep your design intention of reducing the sniper qualities of the pistol</b>, then you'll have solved nothing except the aesthetics.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I didn't realize this was a definite goal. In fact, I thought that this quote:
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=blog post)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blog post)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is our basic pistol functionality and will let you try to stop a fleeing Lerk or nail an assaulting Skulk before your screen fades to black.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    reiterated that this would still be the pistol's role.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    Here's a direct quote from the news update:

<i>The long-range accuracy of the pistol along with it's high damage and essentially infinite rate of fire (which was added to give it more skill, but was commonly scripted) made it sort of an uber-weapon. We knew we didn't want it to function this way in NS2 but the question was, what to do with it?</i>

The devs don't want the uber sidearm.
  • MrRadicalEdMrRadicalEd Turrent Master Join Date: 2004-08-13 Member: 30601Members
    I imagine the primary weapon is going to have a decent rate of fire balanced with a sprinkle of defused accuracy. So why not balance a tack sharp pistol with some light recoil?
    I posted this in the wrong thread, but it really works in both:

<!--quoteo(post=1720022:date=Jul 29 2009, 09:24 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Jul 29 2009, 09:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1720022"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I personally like the name of "Capacitor ______", an example would be weapon being called a Capacitor Pistol. A decent name (my suggestion is up for criticism) combined with a decent backstory would make it into a cool weapon. They made the most bare-bones pistol possible (justifying the downgrade of the pistol portion) and installed a small controlled-burst Tesla cannon that runs off the combat suit's battery to electrocute attackers. Also, visuals need to more gritty and more appropriate for a last resort sidearm. It needs to look like that you could beat an alien back with it if the gun somehow malfunctions.

I am in the camp of the weapon could work, it just needs to be sold better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • SamirSamir Join Date: 2009-07-07 Member: 68064Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1719777:date=Jul 28 2009, 08:35 AM:name=gotmuff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gotmuff @ Jul 28 2009, 08:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to reiterate that I, like the majority of nay-sayers (I'm guessing), aren't resisting change altogether, rather the change offered. Consider the flamethrower - only serious pyrophobes would resist something that cool, scorching a map room by room and purging the aliens sounds pretty damn sweet. Was the addition of a flamethrower a change? Sure was. Not much whining there huh.

A new weapon, a combo weapon even, is a cool idea. A taser? Not so much. Fresh ideas are excellent and necessary for NS2 to be original in its own right. But a taser is so UT3-esque that its almost nauseating - the whole ultra-futuristic (inb4 "omg NS2 is in the future" - read on) and 'excessive' nature of UT3 weapons can be seen in the taser (compared to the other rine weaps). NS2 is in the future, but it doesn't make sense with regards to the other weapons they field. All the rest of the marine's weapons are based on munitions of some kind (bullets, grenades, flammable propellant) - why all of a sudden does a non-munition weapon drop in to say hi? Inconsistent if you ask me...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This, in a nutshell.

New weapons are great, but a taser (as proposed) just seems pretty silly. About as silly as knifing structures to death.
  • rein4cerein4ce Join Date: 2008-07-05 Member: 64567Members
    edited July 2009
    Why not just make a pistol with a few addons that you can choose as alternate fire (requiring appropriate tech level) - including taser, infrared vision, rate of fire booster, flare clips etc. ?
    Definitely not much modelling there, programming such effects without whole weapon animations would be much faster and it would open some exciting possiblites for players to play with the equipment to their liking
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1720049:date=Jul 29 2009, 11:21 PM:name=rein4ce)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rein4ce @ Jul 29 2009, 11:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1720049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not just make a pistol with a few addons that you can choose as alternate fire (requiring appropriate tech level) - including taser, infrared vision, rate of fire booster, flare clips etc. ?
    Definitely not much modelling there, programming such effects without whole weapon animations would be much faster and it would open some exciting possiblites for players to play with the equipment to their liking<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes that i'd like. Like you could even choose taser-bullets. Or armor piercing (anti-fade / anti-gorge / anti-onos) ... or poison bullets (anti-structure + anti-alien over a period of time... like infecting them)... But such bullets shouldn't just be limited to the pistol... a Hmg with armor-piercing makes sense... Just saying other ways this idea can be applied.
    How is a pistol with add-ons solve the problem of finding a way to reduce the amount of work needed (e.g. combine pistol/knife) and finding a good way to destroy structures?
  • NamronNamron Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10220Members
    edited July 2009
    Chainsaws, mini-flamers, tasers, rigged explosives etc. are all very specialized tools and weapons, whereby a knife is crude but versatile. A knife is a weapon when your rifle is empty or a tool to use when the soldier is hungry and need to open a can of beans. It's hard to open a can of beans with a chainsaw, but yes, I could see a chainsaw being used by an engineer while mopping up the battlefield after the battle, clearing remaining chambers and infestation (why not in a trailer). But equipping an entire combat team with chainsaws to use during an ongoing battle? Silly. A thousand years from now, humans will still be using knifes.

As for the knife in one hand and the pistol in the other, that's silly too. Why would every single marine run around like an army of cloned action heroes? Makes no sense. What if one of them has to scratch his/her eyebrow.

Oh, and it isn't silly to use a knife to kill alien structures. They're fleshy after all. As said earlier, give the knife a secondary carve attack with increased damage against immobile targets. Humans used knifes to carve up mammoths (now extinct, hmm!) and whales for tens of thousands of years, and the knife is still in use today...
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1720061:date=Jul 30 2009, 06:31 PM:name=Namron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Namron @ Jul 30 2009, 06:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1720061"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh, and it isn't silly to use a knife to kill alien structures. They're fleshy after all. As said earlier, give the knife a secondary carve attack with increased damage against immobile targets. Humans used knifes to carve up mammoths (now extinct, hmm!) and whales for tens of thousands of years, and the knife is still in use today...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    so lets take it to the next level and have an electrical/vibration blade knife like in the warhammer 40K universe
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    Yes and let's take the Bot armors of the Ork Chieftains too to replace the boring Heavy Armor of the Marines :P add in some Power Fists and Plasma Pistols and thats it :)

"Wow you guys have very strong opinions about the taser weapon. We are strongly considering replacing it with the vanilla knife/pistol."

... I hope they just keep the taser in, so we can see it and test it and we will know for SURE what it is about and if as said in the post "it has a primary pistol function" and how similiar this function is compared to the vanilla piston from NS1. Until then we should stop with the rants or not constructive criticism. I don't hope they change their ideas, even the artwork is fine, because its ought to be only a secondary weapon which shouldn't look too strong to one hit people, like the old pistol did.
  • briktalbriktal Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20021Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1720024:date=Apr 14 1346, 09:30 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Apr 14 1346, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1720024"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I posted this in the wrong thread, but it really works in both:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--coloro:grey--><span style="color:grey"><!--/coloro-->People would just call it the cap gun.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

~~Sickle~~
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2009
    Congratulations are in order, UWE-Team, you nearly broke the 500 post controversy bank.
    Way to go :)

@Namron: Nice thinking, but you don't bring knives to a gunfight because it isn't ###### Medieval Times anymore.
  • C4K3C4K3 Join Date: 2008-01-26 Member: 63502Banned, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1720056:date=Jul 29 2009, 11:47 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Jul 29 2009, 11:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1720056"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How is a pistol with add-ons solve the problem of finding a way to reduce the amount of work needed (e.g. combine pistol/knife) and finding a good way to destroy structures?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The answer is outsorcing the modeling/animation if needed. There are a bunch of computer science / graphic desing starving students out there. There is a lot of money for each team member so it is not a problem I guess. So stop QQ about the work needed and give us some high quality edge whitout trashing the gameplay we love.
    <!--quoteo(post=1720110:date=Jul 30 2009, 12:20 PM:name=C4K3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C4K3 @ Jul 30 2009, 12:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1720110"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The answer is outsorcing the modeling/animation if needed. There are a bunch of computer science / graphic design starving students out there. There is a lot of money for each team member so it is not a problem I guess. So stop QQ about the work needed and give us some high quality edge whitout trashing the gameplay we love.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All of their art asset work is outsourced already. No one on the development team deals with art creation, so it's not about them being lazy. They have to physically pay someone to make anything and they have talented people make their content. The reason why I keep saying this is because people keep forgetting that they are not a mod anymore where people work for free or a large developer who has money to spare.

In closing, it's all about the money. One of their Environment Artists (who is part of the core dev team) is a student, so they might be already outsourcing some things to students.