Natural Selection 2 News Update - Knife + Pistol = Taser?

Comments

• SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    The taser is an alright weapon design. However, I find just bringing back the pistol and knife a huge step back. Don't take us that seriously please.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    Everyone's always more critical of an idea if it involves removing something from NS1 to put the new idea in.

Like what if you said well we're going to put HA back in, instead of flamethrowers... what would people say? There would be a lot more negativity.

BTW I second prefix's post, if anyone wants to better understand the attachment to the lmg/pistol/knife sequence, watch <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzyi4XF0jKk&hd=1" target="_blank">that</a>
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    I would like to see someone go through the first 10-15 pages and mark out the number of users who posted -vs- the negative / positive / neutral responses.
  • todd1Oktodd1Ok Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28018Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I'll weigh in on this. When i think of taser, i think of police using said weapon to disable or stun a criminal.

When i think of stun, my first thought goes to left 4 dead, and the survivor melee attack. There is nothing worse in l4d than leaping at a survivor only to be met with a melee hit, then having to sit through the indecency of being melee'd to death. If NS is going to do any sort of non lethal weaponry or melee, it must only knockback and NOT disable or disorientate. For skilled competition there is nothing more annoying than having no capability to respond to an opponent's attacks due to a bad game mechanic.
    <!--quoteo(post=1719686:date=Jul 28 2009, 12:54 PM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Jul 28 2009, 12:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would like to see someone go through the first 10-15 pages and mark out the number of users who posted -vs- the negative / positive / neutral responses.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    To quote myself for an update.

After scanning the first one or two posts by the first 26 users the tally is (so far)

Negative = 3
    Positive = 12
    Neutral = 11

<b>Negative</b> were those that said nothing other than "I hate it / don't remove pistol/knife / wtf uwe?" kind of posts with no supportive comments at all
    <b>Positive</b> were those that had praise to say about the idea be it with or without constructive critiscism to how it should be implemented more "relevant" to the universe
    <b>Neutral</b> were those that did not come out fully either way but had questions about it's implementation to (I believe) make a more respectful judgement, or outright said they would like to see it an optional choice to the pistol/knife combo

Now the review of posts was only based on my interpretation of the post but I took it from as neutral a view-point I could, my response isn't even yet counted in this tally so far!!! So I'm not over-loading the review. Will keep tallying and update in a later post with my count.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1719658:date=Jul 27 2009, 08:19 PM:name=Dead-Inside)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dead-Inside @ Jul 27 2009, 08:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719658"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't get your post? It's already more effective to shoot it. Knifing is done to save ammo (ie resources) and, imo more importantly, have ammo when aliens come around to defend their building and kill you. It's also not boring. Either you're scared and weary of aliens sneaking up on you while knifing alone, or you're gangknifing a structure which really doesn't take long at all. Basically what I'm getting at is that your post has no substance first of all, and secondly I don't agree at all about knifing structures being boring.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol, my point is that marines have a compelling reason to knife nodes which leads them to do it all the time. It should be changed so that knifing is rarely if ever a good option. Knifing is boring, it can be suspenseful but so is emptying your clip when a skulk could ambush you at any time. It doesn't really fit the atmosphere either, the sight of marines poking away at alien structures is more than a little silly.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Taser is ripping off UWE and making a semi-autoversion:
    <a href="http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/07/27/because-the-world-needed-a-semi-automatic-taser/" target="_blank">http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/07/27/becau...utomatic-taser/</a>
    Minor Update to tally so far (doing this while I work)

Positive - 38
    Neutral - 23
    Negative - 15

To clarify how I get these numbers, I do a two-step process.

I boil it down to a simple question.

<b>Is the taser I good idea for NS2?</b>
    * Yes
    * No
    * Unsure

From there if the user has put more than "I like this idea, bring it on UWE" or similar comments I'll expand the view into the rest of their post based on their keypoints.

Commonly this revolves around: "This is good! But I don't like how you describe it's function, why not try this?" type of posts

Majority of Unsure posters are holding judgement till they get to see it in-game play, and a few of them like the idea of the taser but would prefer it as an "optional" extra to the knife and/or pistol (note: not always both)

There are 4-5 positive posters that slid into the unsure category based on successive posts and/or large posts with concerns over how it will fit into the gameplay and be fitting enough to not seem like a "we did it cause we can" kind of weapon.
  • Gamer-XGamer-X Join Date: 2008-03-22 Member: 63930Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1719674:date=Jul 27 2009, 09:09 PM:name=Fortune)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fortune @ Jul 27 2009, 09:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719674"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the taser was like this <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Bm1IjvCyo&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Bm1IjvCyo...feature=related</a>, only the Aliens would be complaining lol.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've said it once and I've also said it twice but just for the hell of it I'll say it a third time. The "Taser" should be a primary weapon and this video fortune linked is a perfect example. But like the dev's original intention, instead of having it go uber ranged like in the video. Maybe make the hold right button aspect, lightning beam, a 3-5 feet(Melee) range? "Lightning Chainsaw" came to mind when I read the concept art's description. "When the right mouse button is held down the electrical(I corrected his typo ^^) beam stays constant, and anything that runs into it, will get zapped." This is their idea of a shield but it screams chainsaw to me. The primary darts arn't a bad idea as well. Sure its weak "pistol" damage but the secondary zap effect due to the transponders in the dart works out great.

This thing has great balance to me. The ranged portion is weak at first but then builds up to being strong. (dart then you zap) This takes skill to do not just fire and forget. Its destructive but it gives time for the alien to respond since its a 2 step pwnage cannon. And the almighty "Lightning Chainsaw" option is only usable at close ranges which gives aliens a chance to respond/attack. This is a very powerful weapon but not too powerful that the alien stand no chance to retaliate. Hell, I'll take this over any of the current weapons in NS1. Make it so you need to get weapon lvl 3 before you can unlock this thing unlike the lvl 1 for sg/hmg/gl. No way is this a cheap secondary weapon. Dont let the term "Taser" fool you guys. This thing is not meant to take down drunk that wandered too close to you. This thing is meant to take down a 3 ton 15 foot tall space rhino on steroids charging at you with every intention of shoving his horn someplace the sun don't shine. Just beef up the concept a bit. Replace the barrel of the HMG with this thing or something. I'm sure it wont cost you that much to restructure it a bit to make it primary visual worthy.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!||||||||||||||||||||||| PLEASE RECONSIDER AND MAKE THIS A PRIMARY WEAPON |||||||||||||||||||||||!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**** OOH just thought of a great idea after watching the youtube vid another time. Tap right once to change to pistol mode and tap left once to change to chainsaw mode. Tap R while in pistol mode to reload darts and holding R in both modes charges the electrical aspect of the weapon.

And I've thought of a name to replace "Taser". How about "Zeus" ?

Thoughts, comments, flames?
  • ljcrabsljcrabs Join Date: 2007-11-15 Member: 62924Members
    I don't think the problem with the design is how it would work gameplay wise. I think the problem is that the concept is too foreign and the readers here can't conceptualize it easily. It really needs to be end user tested before being scrapped because of a negative response, as the response is to the limited prototype not the in-game object.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1719703:date=Jul 28 2009, 12:14 AM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Jul 28 2009, 12:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719703"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Minor Update to tally so far (doing this while I work)

Positive - 38
    Neutral - 23
    Negative - 15

To clarify how I get these numbers, I do a two-step process.

I boil it down to a simple question.

<b>Is the taser I good idea for NS2?</b>
    * Yes
    * No
    * Unsure

From there if the user has put more than "I like this idea, bring it on UWE" or similar comments I'll expand the view into the rest of their post based on their keypoints.

Commonly this revolves around: "This is good! But I don't like how you describe it's function, why not try this?" type of posts

Majority of Unsure posters are holding judgement till they get to see it in-game play, and a few of them like the idea of the taser but would prefer it as an "optional" extra to the knife and/or pistol (note: not always both)

There are 4-5 positive posters that slid into the unsure category based on successive posts and/or large posts with concerns over how it will fit into the gameplay and be fitting enough to not seem like a "we did it cause we can" kind of weapon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This bears repeating.
  • ShzarShzar Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21098Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1719687:date=Jul 27 2009, 09:54 PM:name=todd1Ok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (todd1Ok @ Jul 27 2009, 09:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719687"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll weigh in on this. When i think of taser, i think of police using said weapon to disable or stun a criminal.

When i think of stun, my first thought goes to left 4 dead, and the survivor melee attack. There is nothing worse in l4d than leaping at a survivor only to be met with a melee hit, then having to sit through the indecency of being melee'd to death. If NS is going to do any sort of non lethal weaponry or melee, it must only knockback and NOT disable or disorientate. For skilled competition there is nothing more annoying than having no capability to respond to an opponent's attacks due to a bad game mechanic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2 is thankfully not real life nor L4D, since I agree that stun attacks are frustrating in many games that have them (onos stomp and gorge web were bad enough for NS1). But I have read nothing in the blog post that suggests that the new "Taser" will be a stun weapon. It is a lethal sidearm, initially given the lousy prototype-name of Taser, which almost forces comparison to the modern, normally non-lethal weapon. Repeat: the proposed NS2 electrical weapon will kill, not stun.

Please please do not get rid of the new sidearm (I want to stop calling it "the Taser"). Of course there will be naysayers. There were lots of naysayers for the new resource-point system, multiple commanders, Onos design and boneshield, and the removal of heavy armour. All these new things excite me terribly; I actually shouted out "No!" when I read the tweet where you considered removing the sidearm. But, of course, we can't know how these things work until we play with them, and there will be many bugs to workout and a precarious balance to achieve, but I think people would learn to accept it and like it, notwithstanding those who would rather just play a clone of NS1.

Let's start by coming up with a better name, dear forumites, since Taser and Stun Gun do not properly convey the proposed functions of the weapon, and only serve to worry people like todd10k who don't want an actual stun effect in-game. How about Shock-Gun? Or, I don't know, the Zapper? Well, you think of something better, then.
    <!--quoteo(post=1719707:date=Jul 28 2009, 03:38 PM:name=Gamer-X)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gamer-X @ Jul 28 2009, 03:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719707"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And I've thought of a name to replace "Taser". How about "Zeus" ?

Thoughts, comments, flames?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    An earlier post was covering this.

<!--QuoteBegin-resresres+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (resresres)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Some names for the Taser:

Transforming Security (or Stunning) Apparatus - Model R
    TSA-R

Transforming Apparatus for Stunning Aliens - Model R = TASA-R
    Transforming Apparatus with Electrical Release - TASER

or the traditional: Thomas A. Swift's Electric Rifle
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taser" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taser</a>

How bout, also, a blade on the melee butt of a rifle or grenade launcher?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I like the TSA-R
  • ShzarShzar Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21098Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    Ah, ok, I thought some others suggested new names; thanks for bringing those up front again. Yes, an acronym might work well.
  • rsdrsd Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13405Members
    Put the taser in the game, ignore the whiners. They are the vocal minority who can't handle the idea of change.

I don't want NS1 with shiny graphics on release - that will be a mod someone makes, no doubt. I paid my $40 for NS2 :)

I really wouldn't change anything based on the community's moaning until it's been play tested to death.
  • Gamer-XGamer-X Join Date: 2008-03-22 Member: 63930Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2009
    <b>X</b>enoform <b>E</b>lectric n<b>U</b>llification <b>S</b>ystem

<b>XEUS</b>

pronounced as ZEUS

Also in the military not every name is an acronym. I still think naming it after the greek king of the gods that welds the thunderbolt is more fitting. The way I see this weapon is a force of nature. Tho these are my thoughts
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1719724:date=Jul 28 2009, 05:18 PM:name=Gamer-X)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gamer-X @ Jul 28 2009, 05:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719724"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>X</b>enoform <b>E</b>lectric n<b>U</b>llification <b>S</b>ystem

<b>XEUS</b>

pronounced as ZEUS<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

XENS?
    <b>X</b>enoform <b>E</b>lectric <b>N</b>ullification <b>S</b>ystem

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Update on Tally<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

90 - Neutral
    47 - Positive
    36 - Negative

Total = 173

There are a few posts not counted for not contributing anything either way (and completely random merely talking about mines and how they should work)

This is just my tally, someone else might tally it and come up with a similar number.

But with only 36 outright "this is a bad idea" posts I hope UWE don't judge removing the new weapon from the game before it's even in play!!
  • CricketCricket Join Date: 2009-05-31 Member: 67603Members
    Keep the taser! Or whatever it'll be called! Definitely need a name besides taser, and at the moment I'm very unproductive and can't think of any.

I'd also be in favor of maybe redesigning the look of the thing, too. It just looks too MUCH like a taser to me, it'd be cool if it looked just more unique and still had the same functions described. I can't really picture how the melee animations are going to work with the current design, either. A kind of like jab forward?
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    Don't remove a new feature based off first initial forum rants... ugh.
    edited July 2009
    <b>Z</b>ap <b>E</b>radication <b>U</b>nique <b>S</b>ystem

Meh tired its 4am cant think of anything cept these -.-

lame?
  • TWiTCHZORTWiTCHZOR Join Date: 2009-07-28 Member: 68287Members
    +1 vote to the add the taser its a new an interesting idea and not the same old regurgitated bs count
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i dont like the pistol or the knife, so yeah, give us the taser please :)
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    Nothing like a beefed up bug zapper.
  • NasderoNasdero Join Date: 2008-11-11 Member: 65423Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1719649:date=Jul 28 2009, 01:57 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Jul 28 2009, 01:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719649"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm indifferent about the taser, but if you scrap it I'd request that you not go back to knifing resource nodes. The knife shouldn't be effective against structures IMO, simply because it's boring for the marines. Make them shoot it, and maybe buff ammo drops to compensate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This clip is a perfact example that choosing the pistol or knife does not take to much time and that they are boh more deadly than a taser can ever become, of course you cant assum or want a weapon every
    n00b is perfect with this will really ruin online gameplay you nee trainiong and skill to become a really good player and if you are one pistol and knife IS your combo of choice !!

all right is see this thread has become a save the last taser one i guess ill leave this better with people becoming irrelevant and flaming pistol and knife

a pitty i just hope the devs think well about hier descision !!
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1719754:date=Jul 28 2009, 08:41 PM:name=Nasdero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nasdero @ Jul 28 2009, 08:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719754"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This clip is a perfact example that choosing the pistol or knife does not take to much time and that they are boh more deadly than a taser can ever become<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    your post is really hard to understand, but are you saying that either a pistol or a knife will always be more deadly then a taser (and were talking sc-fi taser here). I'll fight you, give me a taser and you can have a knife (tongue in cheek)
  • ParanoyakParanoyak Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67527Members
    Hi all,
    I only read the last page but i want to give mu point of view..
    The tazer sound great but not having the gun or knife would be strange
    other subject : i understood that onos wont have devour anymore so if they keep the heavy it should be weaker than in ns1.
  • NasderoNasdero Join Date: 2008-11-11 Member: 65423Members
    if i am a skulk (thats what youre fighting with not me) i dont even need the knife, isnt it so unreal that those aliens have a strong skin ?? every tried fighting a bear with a taser ?? no ?? so if youre so sure a taser is a good weapon go out in the forrest and hunt sume bears with your taser and dont scream for a knife if he bites you in the throat ^^
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1719731:date=Jul 28 2009, 08:48 AM:name=steppin'razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steppin'razor @ Jul 28 2009, 08:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't remove a new feature based off first initial forum rants... ugh.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

QFT. People generally have always been and will always be whiners. It's not because the community is divided (I'd say about half-half?) that this is a bad idea. In fact, half-half sounds encouraging, doesn't it, if you remove the nostalgia-whining. People are afraid of change, that doesn't mean change can't be good.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you nee trainiong and skill to become a really good player and if you are one pistol and knife IS your combo of choice !!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's a bold assumption. I don't exactly consider myself a bad player, I know NS inside-out, and yet I still dislike the pistol (though I still use it to be on equal footing with other players). Putting away an assault weapon to kill an enemy with a sidearm seems very counter-intuitive to me, and I'd love to see that reflected in the weapon specs.
  • todd1Oktodd1Ok Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28018Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    UWE want's a way of killing alien buildings without it being so boring. Hmm. Why not give both sides some form of acid/nanite spray that does damage over time and is nullified by spraying your team's spray, or simply stops working if the player moves out of a certain range. You avoid the problem of knifing/chewing resnodes being so boring, with the plus that the attacking force must stay in the vicinity of the rt if they wanna actually kill it. could bring a bit of dynamic's to the game. Not bad for something i just pulled out of my ass.

Sounds doable to me, then put the knife back in. I mean, i love my knife kills, and tbh, every damn FPS game has a knife in it. name one that doesn't.

why cant you name any? cause they're crap. simple as.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1719714:date=Jul 28 2009, 02:26 AM:name=Shzar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shzar @ Jul 28 2009, 02:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719714"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please please do not get rid of the new sidearm (I want to stop calling it "the Taser"). Of course there will be naysayers. There were lots of naysayers for the new resource-point system, multiple commanders, Onos design and boneshield, and the removal of heavy armour. All these new things excite me terribly; I actually shouted out "No!" when I read the tweet where you considered removing the sidearm. But, of course, we can't know how these things work until we play with them, and there will be many bugs to workout and a precarious balance to achieve, but I think people would learn to accept it and like it, notwithstanding those who would rather just play a clone of NS1.

Let's start by coming up with a better name, dear forumites, since Taser and Stun Gun do not properly convey the proposed functions of the weapon, and only serve to worry people like todd10k who don't want an actual stun effect in-game. How about Shock-Gun? Or, I don't know, the Zapper? Well, you think of something better, then.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree to this wholeheartedly.

Don't get rid of the new sidearm!