It's been done better in...

Comments

• alibialibi Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1747339:date=Jan 15 2010, 07:45 AM:name=barbarossa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (barbarossa @ Jan 15 2010, 07:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747339"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The voice chatting commands from Left 4 Dead would make a lot of sense in NS. Watch the video - every time a player is reloading, he says "reloading!" When he sees (or tries to pick up) a healthpack on the ground, he mentions it. When there's contact with a special infected, he'll yell out something like "Spitter!" or "Jockey!" There's a fine line to be walked with how spammy this could get, but i think having the first marine in a group who sees an onos shout out something like "ONOS INCOMING!" could really add to the atmosphere, and more importantly, the teamworking gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1750191:date=Feb 2 2010, 09:33 AM:name=Stardog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stardog @ Feb 2 2010, 09:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750191"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please add Battlefield's hit reticule - the X that flashes up when you hit something with your gun. Make it optional.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While I like both of these.. voices for atmosphere and reticle for hit confirmation.. I also agree with those arguing against for both spam and unrealism.

How about, combining them both. Only when there is contact between the two teams are voice (and alien) feedback exchanged.

If a marine shoots a Kharaa, it could yelp in pain.. and the marine may acnowledge contact.. perhaps a 'hit one!' or 'contact!' or a subtle 'nearly got him' or similar. Even an excited 'yeeeaahhhh' after a kill.

If a marine takes damage he could perhaps begin heavy breathing, moans, and perhaps screams depending on the extremity of attack.

I imagine I would be pretty special if you could hear your buddies screams echoing death down the hallways!

But yes, if marines are sneaking around without contact then there is no need for giving away their position with voice.

I don't mind the occasional 'reloading' when in squad battle though.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Visual hit confirmations always trump audio. Sounds can get lost in the gunfire and chaos, an X on your reticle is a solid way to show a hit.
  • StarClawsStarClaws Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 9974Members
    Ya I would love to see an X or a red slash across your center reticule showing if you hit a guy. It would also be easier to re-adjust hitboxes in 150+ ping environments if the client registers a hit and tells you when you are biting them and they happen to miss due to lag.

NS1 is a lot of spinning and turning and then asking ... How many times did I hit you? A lot of times you missed seeing the blood spray because you leaped away after bite.

As for talking/hit noise registration .. Please don't. Talking/sounds(other than the main gun/ambient sounds) that correspond to actions in battle get dull and replayed too often like in other games. Then there is the playover where the sound stops midway and starts over or gets cut off by another saying. It loses its lifelike feel. Auto-talk would need a lot of work. Voice Acting, And a timer script that would make it useless with aliens that disengage for a bit then re-engage. Think to the Alien movies and other horror flicks where the move without talking ... Listening to the sounds of the alien and shooting in response.

Even NS1 hive damage sound used to get muffled from too many shots hitting it. It has been cleaned up somewhat though.

I LOVE the idea of writing on the minimap for fellow marines to see. Id be writing RARR HIVE>ALIENS HERE>NOMNOM+OUCH OUCH and stupid crap with circles while my marines are building and combat hasn't started yet. And it wouldn't be too hard to implement either.

Its been done better in...

Many games where you can alter the HUD. Make it smaller. Larger. Make it numbers as apposed to just bars. Often the first few mods a game has is something to slim down or add to the HUD.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Elemental's iterative beta design.

They've been releasing small, incremental builds with huge feedback success. In fact, one of my friends has proposed a huge technology system overhaul because he had a chance to get into the guts of what they currently had and what they had said was their vision.

It's a similar exercise as NS2. Pre-order, get access to beta. Understand early stuff (like Engine Test) will be not very fun and mostly technical. Talk about gameplay ideas, not pretty graphics. Etc.

Granted, since it is a turn-based strategy game they have the luxury of ripping out all the shiny graphic code and presenting a bare bones gameplay system. But it's something I hope NS2 will emulate.
  • yoseiyosei Join Date: 2010-07-08 Member: 72293Members
    the killcam from the call of duty modern warfare games was fun. i liked being able to see your death from a different perspective.
  • StubbsStubbs Join Date: 2005-01-27 Member: 38622Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1696956:date=Jan 1 2009, 11:53 AM:name=CoolCookieCooks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CoolCookieCooks @ Jan 1 2009, 11:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1696956"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->seeing other players through the walls via parasite/MT is done better in L4D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is very true. L4D's silhouettes keep the Survivors together, but also allow the Infected to plan attacks properly. This would be extremely useful for the aliens, both for coordination and for Parasite (or Scent of Fear, if it goes in). It would be sensible to fade them out rapidly over range though, as you don't need to see teammates that are miles away. Fading out would also balance the fact that parasite would be more precise with a silhouette than the old red dot system.
  • msleepermsleeper Join Date: 2009-10-13 Member: 69034Members
    The absolute best genre crossing has been Battlezone and Battlezone 2. For the uninitiated, they are the first real First Person RTS games made in 96 and 98 I believe. The way the menu and the command structure worked just flowed perfectly, being able to give orders and communicate with any structure or group of units on the fly.
  • BenaiahBenaiah Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22517Members
    I would just like to make a note regarding left for dead.

In left for dead the survivors stick together. At no point should you be far from your other 3 players.
    If you are you will die and wipe your team.
    NS is quite different in this respect as there is a significant amount of soloing where any noise that you make could get you killed.

Any auto-talking (which i love by the way) would ideally adhere to the following.
    1. Only shout when there is another player close to hear.
    2. Have a button to turn off and on screen indicator to show status. (Radio Silence)
  • BenaiahBenaiah Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22517Members
    Regarding the silhouettes, it would be nice when the commander groups a bunch of marines, that you see their silhouettes so you know who you should be with.
    That would be awesome.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779880:date=Jul 17 2010, 12:05 AM:name=Benaiah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benaiah @ Jul 17 2010, 12:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Regarding the silhouettes, it would be nice when the commander groups a bunch of marines, that you see their silhouettes so you know who you should be with.
    That would be awesome.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yea, something to identify them as being in the same squad would be useful.
  • msleepermsleeper Join Date: 2009-10-13 Member: 69034Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779880:date=Jul 16 2010, 07:05 PM:name=Benaiah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benaiah @ Jul 16 2010, 07:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Regarding the silhouettes, it would be nice when the commander groups a bunch of marines, that you see their silhouettes so you know who you should be with.
    That would be awesome.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have to agree, that's an amazing idea and I would love to see this feature playtested.
  • qwiggaloqwiggalo Join Date: 2005-02-26 Member: 42564Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1785988:date=Jul 27 2010, 06:52 AM:name=msleeper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (msleeper @ Jul 27 2010, 06:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785988"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have to agree, that's an amazing idea and I would love to see this feature playtested.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Negative space, ###### yeah.
  • knykillsknykills Join Date: 2007-04-08 Member: 60578Members
    Not sure it's fitting with the atmosphere of the game, but how about an option for Fooly Cooly esque eyebrows on the marines : p. On the other hand we hard a sergeant in Iraq that insisted on wearing man things on every mission and made sure everyone he could tell knew about it, a little silliness goes a long way in keeping up morale in combat, so perhaps could fit with the atmosphere?
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    Optimization- Done better in
    Dwarf Fortress
    Crysis
    Console ports of most games
    Serious one this time:
    Motion tracking- done better in the AVP games.

If we had a nerfed Motion Tracker that was more like the one in Aliens, (Sends out pings, no map info, only goes for so many degrees, has false positives often) that was only mounted on the assault rifle (you couldn't use the underbarrel grenade launcher either!) then that would be atmospheric, fun, and balanced.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1808076:date=Nov 21 2010, 12:07 PM:name=Raneman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raneman @ Nov 21 2010, 12:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808076"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Serious one this time:
    Motion tracking- done better in the AVP games.

If we had a nerfed Motion Tracker that was more like the one in Aliens, (Sends out pings, no map info, only goes for so many degrees, has false positives often) that was only mounted on the assault rifle (you couldn't use the underbarrel grenade launcher either!) then that would be atmospheric, fun, and balanced.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The way you're putting it makes it 100% useless (false positives.. really?). I do agree that the AVP MT was much more atmospheric. I also like the idea of having a "radar-style" MT somewhere in the UI, but let's face it, the marines don't have those cool visors for nothing. Enhanced reality ftw!

Edit:

<!--quoteo(post=1807587:date=Nov 20 2010, 04:03 PM:name=Raneman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raneman @ Nov 20 2010, 04:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807587"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Optimization- Done better in
    Dwarf Fortress
    Crysis
    Console ports of most games<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you're not going to add anything constructive, please refrain from posting. Your comment is just snide and nothing else.
    edited November 2010
    Builder classes: It's been done better in NS1
    The gorge need to be the handyman of the team. He needs to be the answer to all of the odd jobs. Locked door? Gorge will get you through! Need a lift disabled? Gorge will screw that power supply over(leaving some very confused marine players stuck in the middle of an elevator shaft)! Being motion tracked? Gorge will handle that... somehow. Need someone to operate this human equipment? Gorge will do it! (Yes, Gorges should be able to buy weapons from armories what not, to confuse the marine team and waste resources.) Can't operate that grenade launcher? Lerk+Gorge will do it ten times better! (Gorge should have a violent explosion that does 300% more damage to structures then players, one shotting most non-critical structures, plus making a belly sliding gorge ten times more horrifying.) Onos nearly dead? Gorges make a delicious snack, healing it to 100% instantly!
  • Shadow58Shadow58 Join Date: 2009-11-17 Member: 69406Members
    Yeah Call of Duty: Black Ops, the upgrading weapons thing is kinda cool, now I'm not saying you have to use the layout and stuff but just the way it's implimented; you choose your weapon, upgrade what you want for it, such as faster reloading then you play. Instead of poping in shells, it's catrigies that pop out and you pop a new one in which you can see the animation being different and the shot gun looking slightly different because of your upgrade.

Now making this system your own can be that upgrades work by getting points for killing and helping team mates, being near a group increases points gained by like 1.25x or 1.5x this encourages squad play but doesn't over emphasis the team work in the factor of being in a tight little group.

Getting points, lets you keep the points, so if you start a new game you can use those already gathered to upgrade weapons stright away, to help gameplay be that people don't try starve the team of good upgrades that not only help them but their teamates becaus eof the better weaponry their carrying around is that who ever win's the round is given a boost in points, more to those who killed more or did more.
    I which 1, you want to win so you get a boost in point, so you'll use the points you got inorder to gain the win. 2, if you staved your group to try save up but still won but did get much done because you never upgraded anything, then you get the least points in the group, 3, also using upgrades help you get 0.25% of what you paid back, helping you out in later games.

Perhaps having even the standard weapon and being able to customise it to fit your need compromising on other parts to gain what's needed. Faster reloads, slower attack rate, faster attack rate, harder handling a decrease in accuracy, better accuracy slower reaction (aiming movement), faster movement, slower reloads. And upgrading your weapons can better what's been customised: Weapon; Shot Gun, Customisation; Faster reloads, lighter weaponry(faster movement and aiming). Defeacts; decrease in accuracy, overheating possible, 2 shells less every catridge. Upgrades; more ammo carried(1 more catridge), better handling (increase in accuracy). Upgrades don't make defeacts increase, only enchance a weapon, customisation to the weapon cause defeacts to occur, enhancing certain machanics to the gun but decreasing other aspects of it because of the enhancment. This will help marines have a better array of varients of their weaponry, better suit each players personal prefrence, and help the team when under certain circumstances.
  • Shadow58Shadow58 Join Date: 2009-11-17 Member: 69406Members
    A thing I've found helpful is things like calling reloading, a sound for finding enemies, is dumb and killing some one and having a sound go off for that too would be dumb. One thing that is quite exciting about FPS games is when it doesn't stright away confirm a kill, so you're left wondering if you killed them or not. Now if you get close to them, having marines speak target down would be cool. This faces reality on the fact that in real life, you can't say opponent down unless you've confirmed for yourself their dead.
    If you get close to their corpse and say target down it lets others know the skulk you were attacking got shot down.
    In all this since it's voice not radio, only near by personal can hear it, niether is it shouting, so enemies or allies far away won't pick it up.
    Another cool thing would be that if more than 1-2 enemies are in a sector and you clear a room, would be if someone called area cleared.
    this would all be automated to avoid spam of voices.

Another great voice command however refrence battlfield 2, is the spot ability. A great way to help avoid this being spammed is only allowing it to be used(sound going off), if an enemy is actaully spotted in the general cross-hairs. The command can only be activated 4-5 times every minute by each user/player. If an enemy is on your cross-hairs using the comand within those 5-4 times, the sound will go off. If you try to use it a 6th time within the minute, it would have become disabled not allowing you to even click it, becoming a shaded voice command/button. Now Spotted only declares an enemy has been spoted and will not show his postion unlike the battlefield 2 game does. if multiple enemies are seen in the general crosshairs, the spoting voice message would simply change from something like; "Target aquirred" to "Incoming Targets" or "Aquirred targets" or even "Multiple targets inbound" this one I like the most, giving a clear destinction between spoting a single and multiple targets found. Another way to avoid spam is depending on the area the voice command is being used:

There is a corridor that we will place as sector C, and it covers a fairly wide space, but is cluttered with stuff. It opens up to 2 other bits sector A and B where marines are protecting. When the aliens swarm this corridor sector C, they split up to go to both spots, thinking they will flank the marines. but while their on their way two marines on each sector see the horde of aliens. they both trigger the spot ability/command, and they both warn their seperate parties of the incoming horde. Now the point to this is that because they are in two seperate area's their commands are valid even though they are spotting the same horde/aliens.

If we were to change this and make only sector A without B being out because of power being shut down causing the doors to stay closed, the aliens come down to hit the marines stright up the gut. When a marine sees this he calls out the command of incoming targets/spoting ability, but another marine tries do exactly the same thing, but though he clicked the button no sound was triggered because that sector was already alerted.

Now if aliens came through sector B aswell and flanked the marines who are only protecting sector A, then if a marine were to spot/use the spot command for this flank (that's coming from sector B), then sector C and B's spoting would both become valid, but only because the enemies being spotted are not the same group, their two seperate groups because they split up to flank the marines. I hope you understood what I was trying to portray and how you could impliment this type of gameplay enchancement without the anoyance of spamming, which normally is the case of why people don't like it as much as they'd like too.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    About the l4d silhouettes.

Isn't a certain degree of uncertainty fair when only one same icon is displayed for all movement? You could see if something got close and roughly the speed it was running in, but you could never really know if it was a onos, lerk, fade, skulk or gorge from around the corner. Nor if it was looking at you or not. MT was highly useful (if not OP) in NS1 and adding this would probably give a huge unfair bonus to marines.

I would like to see this on teammates though, no minimap in the beta as of yet so keeping tabs on friendlies is impossible over a distance.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1821076:date=Jan 3 2011, 04:39 PM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Jan 3 2011, 04:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1821076"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->About the l4d silhouettes.
    I would like to see this on teammates though, no minimap in the beta as of yet so keeping tabs on friendlies is impossible over a distance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the problem would be gone once minimaps are added.

While silhouettes worked well in L4D, it was only for teams of 4 players. Whereas NS2 would have up to 16 players per team. With all the marines players sharing the same model, it would be visually overwhelming to see 8 or more silhouettes stacked on top of one another.

On the other hand, silhouettes would be very beneficial to the alien team, as it helps coordinate different classes. Then again, it also has the drawback of causing visual confusion.

I hope someone can come up with an elegant solution.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    Overwhelming? It isn't important to distinguish each individual but rather just where your allies are and what they are doing. Besides, it will only show silhouettes when they are behind a wall and marines cannot float into each other like in TF2 so they won't stack.
  • skullman86skullman86 Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76599Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1822061:date=Jan 6 2011, 03:18 PM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Jan 6 2011, 03:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1822061"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Overwhelming? It isn't important to distinguish each individual but rather just where your allies are and what they are doing. Besides, it will only show silhouettes when they are behind a wall and marines cannot float into each other like in TF2 so they won't stack.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Funny you should mention TF2's collision system because I think that's something this game needs

For anyone who doesn't know - basically, when two teammates or a player and a friendly structure collide, they slowly repel each other.Instead of getting stuck on an object or person, you are allowed to merge with them somewhat and then you are nudged away.This prevents teammates from becoming obstacles and it makes gameplay more fluid because there aren't any abrupt pauses when running into things.

I would really love this in-game because it seems like I hang up on just about everything.
  • mrcmrc Join Date: 2011-01-30 Member: 79589Members
    The alien "Flashlight" in NS. Why was it taken off?
    Aliens at the moment does not have any feature to help them in dark places. Arent they supposed to have upper hand in dark spots?
    It was done better in NS and i would like to see it implemented to NS2 as well.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It wasn't taken off, just not added yet.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Deadspace 2 are using realy great textures all over the bourd, everything looks "today" made yet still have that futuristic feel.
    I highly recommend everyone looking for inspiration to check em out.

Ill add a gaming walktrough made by DSP so you can see it all, so you dont have to go search for images and stuff.
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/DSPGaming#grid/user/B758C0D52D336411" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/user/DSPGaming#grid...758C0D52D336411</a>
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2011
    Frostbite 2.0(Battlefield 3) real-time radiosity:
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foXVF7q035Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foXVF7q035Y</a>

:O

( <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBoueeHGvjY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBoueeHGvjY</a> Bf3 Teaser)
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1822554:date=Jan 8 2011, 12:20 AM:name=skullman86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (skullman86 @ Jan 8 2011, 12:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1822554"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For anyone who doesn't know - basically, when two teammates or a player and a friendly structure collide, they slowly repel each other.Instead of getting stuck on an object or person, you are allowed to merge with them somewhat and then you are nudged away.This prevents teammates from becoming obstacles and it makes gameplay more fluid because there aren't any abrupt pauses when running into things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow, that's genius.
  • HolyTealHolyTeal Join Date: 2011-03-09 Member: 85427Members
    edited March 2011
    The developpers should just play Savage 2 (it's free) and take some lessons of it, the idea is overall the same as NS2 with commanders and units played by humans players.
    Savage 2 is really polished and bring their idea very well and deeply from a gameplay point of view, way better than NS2 for the moment, there is a lot of things to learn of it for the developpers i am sure.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I think a big problem with NS2 is the level sizes. You mention Savage 2, and it's maps are huge(if undetailed). But that's the thing, quantity over quality in some cases.

I find the tiny maps of NS2 to be uncomfortable and boring, and not very scary or tense at all. Don't get me wrong, theyre well designed for what they are, it's just I have heard ns1 maps were larger, as in EXPANSIVE. Where in NS2, the maps feel small, but they don't feel claustrophobic.

What I mean to say is that you should still have the tight spaces, but there just needs to be longer hallways, bigger rooms, and a slightly faster pace of movement.

btw, I never played ns1.