What geting cut?

sabin77sabin77 edmonton Join Date: 2015-08-12 Member: 207081Members
I know the terraformer get cut and the bridge biome but what else is getting hacked.

Comments

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Rock Puncher is likely going along with Terraforming Terrain, unless they can find some other use for him. The Terraformer as an item *might* stick around and be given some other use, but only time will tell.

As for the 'bridge biome' I'm assuming you're referring to the Twisty Bridges concept - that I seem to recall them saying that they'll be using it after all, but instead of being a surface biome it's going to be inside a deep sea cave.

No confirmation on this, but I wouldn't expect the Pipes or Current Generator to last very long. Gravsphere actually has some early-game use, but it's still pretty limited. It's great for catching Peepers and distracting smaller predators, but since the former still zips around a ton even within its area of influence... Well, it's better than chasing them all over the place but they're still quite unwilling to be grabbed!
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    Rock Puncher is likely going along with Terraforming Terrain, unless they can find some other use for him. The Terraformer as an item *might* stick around and be given some other use, but only time will tell.

As for the 'bridge biome' I'm assuming you're referring to the Twisty Bridges concept - that I seem to recall them saying that they'll be using it after all, but instead of being a surface biome it's going to be inside a deep sea cave.

No confirmation on this, but I wouldn't expect the Pipes or Current Generator to last very long. Gravsphere actually has some early-game use, but it's still pretty limited. It's great for catching Peepers and distracting smaller predators, but since the former still zips around a ton even within its area of influence... Well, it's better than chasing them all over the place but they're still quite unwilling to be grabbed!

They're surely gonna keep the pipes. Those actually do have a lot of use.
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    Twisty Bridges biomes is still going to be used. But yes, terraformer is getting cut. As for anything else, we'll just have to wait until the 1.0 release to see.
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    Rezca wrote: »

Pipes are the ONLY way to explore wrecks when u have no seamoth:(

Dactylos wrote: »
    Pipes are the ONLY way to explore wrecks when u have no seamoth:(

Really? I just load up on tanks and use the seaglide.

Same. The hassle of setting up a pipe network just isn't worth the trouble when making 2 ~ 3 tanks is so more efficient. Sure, I get less inventory space, but the tradeoff is worth it to me. Bringing the Seaglide along renders whatever little benefit Pipes and setting them up may have offered, almost a complete waste of time.

Besides which, after you explore that given wreck, then you have to go and pick the pipes up and then set them down again on the next place you want to explore, whereas the oxygen tanks you only need to set up once.

If they're really going to keep the Pipes in, they should give it a new model like they did the waterproof locker. That was one thing I was almost certain they were going to cut, but with how they're dialing back on what blueprints you start with, I've actually been using it lately since storage is limited in the very early game.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Speaking of the lockers, what is really, really needed is a way to destroy things. The only way currently is to put things inside a (wall) locker and then deconstruct it with the habtool, which means when you're trying to tidy up and have 5 waterproof lockers to destroy you have to do this 3 times because they take up so much inventory space.

Destroying items this way is time consuming and frustrating.
    Speaking of the lockers, what is really, really needed is a way to destroy things. The only way currently is to put things inside a (wall) locker and then deconstruct it with the habtool, which means when you're trying to tidy up and have 5 waterproof lockers to destroy you have to do this 3 times because they take up so much inventory space.

Destroying items this way is time consuming and frustrating.

I heard they've got an Incinerator planned, maybe that'll finally solve the leftover trash issue.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Maybe an incinerator could provide a meager power supply as a reserve
  • KerbalatomicKerbalatomic Join Date: 2015-07-25 Member: 206384Members
    Why is the terraformer getting removed? (I need it for my island bases)
  • DactylosDactylos United States Join Date: 2016-07-11 Member: 220055Members

To keep people from drilling to places without going through the proper entrances. They are making precursor bases with enemies and turrets and such, which would be rendered useless if you can just tunnel in from below. Or just tunnel into places like the lava zone or lost river from wherever you want. Also doing so will let them improve the game's load time and performance.
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We decided recently to try and keep the pipes, as they provide some nice unique creative gameplay. So we're currently working on art for them now.

That's really cool! You can do some pretty amazing things with the pipes.
    We decided recently to try and keep the pipes, as they provide some nice unique creative gameplay. So we're currently working on art for them now.

I might as well give using them a second shot then, since my early experiments with piping went not so well xD
    Looking forward to seeing the new and improved models!

Also, will the Gravsphere remain in the game? I enjoy using it to catch elusive peepers, and to stop Biters/Bleeders in their tracks before the Stasis Rifle comes into play - but it's got such a bulky and uninteresting model right now.
    Dactylos wrote: »

To keep people from drilling to places without going through the proper entrances. They are making precursor bases with enemies and turrets and such, which would be rendered useless if you can just tunnel in from below. Or just tunnel into places like the lava zone or lost river from wherever you want. Also doing so will let them improve the game's load time and performance.

Primary reason would be the optimization purposes I imagine; since if it was just story and progression they could have just kept it on Creative-only. Doing so though would mean that the performance strain would persist, creative-exclusive or not.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited July 2016

New art or not, im still not going to use them, too much an hassle for the meager advantage they procure. From personal experience playing this game alot, i never seem to stay somewhere long enough for a system of pipes to be worth all the effort of building it up. But i can understand that some peoples do use them so thats a plus for them.

I was REALLY hoping they would keep the whole concept of using pipes to supply Oxygen to seabases, in which case i would have to use them. Looks like this concept didnt make the cut sadly ....
  • KerbalatomicKerbalatomic Join Date: 2015-07-25 Member: 206384Members

Can you please describe why the terraformer is being removed.
    Other than it allows people to go places without going through the proper entrance. (I remember with the terraformer was just a green flashlight)

My opinion
    If the terraformer is removed we all lose landscaping which I do a lot of! (for my island bases) if its removed then there will be no landscaping which was one of the best things. You have done so much work on it why not add terraformer boundary's where is can't drill.
  • HassassinHassassin Czech Republic Join Date: 2016-06-13 Member: 218554Members
    edited July 2016
    I´d say that the pipes are a nice way of staying underwater permanently, however I didnt understand the purpose of them sice you constantly move from area to area. I tried to build a long pipeline down to the Grand reef (reasons not important) and it was usefull to some extent but also resulted in a long titanium hunt beforehand..

Still no "real" reason to build it.. at least thus far, but I am holding my fingers crossed for the devs in this matter. :-)

Even though the following is probably not for this discussion, I would see more reason to build crazy ideas of pipes IF there was a way how to "revert" lets say pipes back to titanium. And this goes for far more than just pipes.. And lastly I do read a lot about new ship ideas/teleport/weapons and I do understand that many people would like to see some more stuff going down. I dont really agree with the weapon thing and I do look forward to the teleporting warpers. But one thing that sparked my mind a while back was an idea for a underwater railway..

I dont expect people to agree with me. But the truth is that the seamoth is insanely fast and the cyclops is big enough (at least for now). I´d love to be able to make a central station and lets say.. mining hubs? Or whathever..:-)

Never hurts to dream I guess.. But this is just an idea.

Other than it allows people to go places without going through the proper entrance. (I remember with the terraformer was just a green flashlight)

My opinion
    If the terraformer is removed we all lose landscaping which I do a lot of! (for my island bases) if its removed then there will be no landscaping which was one of the best things. You have done so much work on it why not add terraformer boundary's where is can't drill.

Two words. Performance problems. Without terraforming of any sort the game would get a massive increase in performance, which would be awesome. We also wouldnt have to deal with all the pop in crap we have now. The game is better off without them.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    If I need air deep down I'll plant a brain coral down there for air.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members

My opinion

Two words. Performance problems. Without terraforming of any sort the game would get a massive increase in performance, which would be awesome. We also wouldnt have to deal with all the pop in crap we have now. The game is better off without them.

Its sad but true. Im of the ones that absolutely love to build bases in the terrain from time to time to make cool bases. I often build a few corridors/rooms under my current base and put the reactors in there, then on the above terrain level of my base i put the living quarters, crafting and greenrooms etc ...

Gonna be sad to see that go but gotta admit that this game, while absolutely awesome, needs the performance boost to be perfect.
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members
    edited August 2016
    Terrain modification also causes massive bloat to the savegame size. Thus longer loading times, as well as if it gets too large it won't be accepted into the Steam Cloud, or on the Xbox Cloud.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    I'd really like to see a rework of the whole pipe mechanic and the way they are deployed.

Maybe add a kind of buoy-airpump-mini-fabricator-thingy which can be filled with titanium (and maybe silicone) and deployed and anchored on the surface. You could then use it and dive where you want to go. As you make your way down, the pipe or maybe something "snorkle"-ish (which would allow a more flexible solution) will be build "on the fly" as you decent from the buoy. Each load of resources would get you to a certain depth and you could upgrade the whole buoy thing to add more storage and therfore reach greater depth with it.

A bit like the diving reel with the buoy as a fixed anchor point. As added comfort you could retract the "pipe/snorkle" at the buoy by pressing a button which would start the retrival process by pulling up and deconstructing the "snorkle". The whole thing would need batteries or an energy cell and could have a solar power upgrade from the modification station for a slightly more independent user expirience.

At the end of the snorkle you would find a kind of usable adapter to refill your air (maybe with a small animation to it).
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I've never built pipes.
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    I've never built pipes.

I went tinkering with them again earlier this morning and remembered why I never use them.
    After ten minutes of struggling with my inventory of pipes I had a network of pipes that..... Went down about three or five meters, and two thirds of the pipe that got set down weren't connected to anything.

I know the pipes do have some use, though I prefer just crafting an extra airtank or two, the main thing that kept me from using pipes was how cumbersome they are to use.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Pipes are useful when you don't have a Seamoth. Especially if you find a nice deep wreck and don't feel like moving 30 or more meters just to surface for air.
    edited August 2016
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    Pipes are useful when you don't have a Seamoth. Especially if you find a nice deep wreck and don't feel like moving 30 or more meters just to surface for air.

A deep wreck would take a lot of pipes to reach, and you could just take a few airtanks and a Seaglide instead. Pipes would reduce the time it takes to refuel that air sure, but you'd need to set them up every single time you find a new place to explore, but I guess for people that have been using them for a long time that's not as hard as it sounds to me. My experiences thus far have convinced me that it's just better to craft an extra airtank or two. Less hassle that way.

Maybe they can revamp how they're set up in the future, make them easier to use?
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Well, there's one wreck I use them at. It's this wreck around the south/southeast of the Aurora. It's quite large and is around 60 meters down. I like that wreck because it has a LOT of fragments in it currently. I'm pretty sure its going to change in the future though but it's still fun to explore the wreck.
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    Well, there's one wreck I use them at. It's this wreck around the south/southeast of the Aurora. It's quite large and is around 60 meters down. I like that wreck because it has a LOT of fragments in it currently. I'm pretty sure its going to change in the future though but it's still fun to explore the wreck.

I'd personally just stick to taking three airtanks (one equipped, two inventory) and a seaglide down there, but it's good to have alternatives I suppose. Maybe you should post a video or something, to teach poor souls like me the proper way to use them :wink: