What geting cut?

2»

Comments

• LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    edited August 2016
    Rezca wrote: »
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    Well, there's one wreck I use them at. It's this wreck around the south/southeast of the Aurora. It's quite large and is around 60 meters down. I like that wreck because it has a LOT of fragments in it currently. I'm pretty sure its going to change in the future though but it's still fun to explore the wreck.

I'd personally just stick to taking three airtanks (one equipped, two inventory) and a seaglide down there, but it's good to have alternatives I suppose. Maybe you should post a video or something, to teach poor souls like me the proper way to use them :wink:

It's quite easy. First you surface and place one above water. Then you descend and as you do make sure you have the pipe equipped (bring as many as you need). Aim your reticle at the round end of the pipe and you should see a stretching indicator connecting to it if you aim it right. Stretch it out as far as you can (moving backwards as you do) 'til the stretched pipe disappears (this will tell you the pipe is at its limit). Ascend 'til you see that stretched pipe again, the right click to place your pipe. You will know it's connected if you see air bubbles coming out of the globe end of the pipe.

You can refill your airtank by repeatedly colliding with the globed ends/connections of the pipes where they're connected as it will only fill it partially with each collision. This also has the added benefit of saving battery power you would be using to power your way to the surface.

I tend to string pipes within that one wreck that I mentioned. At the moment I can find quite a bit inside there, including modification station, battery charger, and propulsion cannon fragments as well as the occasional seamoth fragment (How'd that thing get in there?) and I think I found a PDA inside as well...
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    The more I think about it, the more I feel that pipes themselves aren't useless, it's just that using them properly and efficiently isn't as simple for some people (Like me). I struggle with getting them to align properly, half the time they just go off horizontally instead of connecting to the endpoint of the last pipe, so I have to constantly pick them up and try to replace them in the proper location. I suppose the bright side is that since you've got the pipes right there, worrying about drowning while setting them up isn't as big of an issue.
  • Dark_MasterDark_Master Astana Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214413Members
    Guys... I heard devs are going to remove mountain island and replace it with something new...
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Guys... I heard devs are going to remove mountain island and replace it with something new...

We're not removing the mountain island.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members

Should always check sources when you 'hear' something. There's always the chance it's wild speculation, misinformation, trolling... Perhaps even one or more of the above.

Obraxis wrote: »

We're not removing the mountain island.

Improving on perhaps, but certainly not removing :)
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members

They're not removing it. They're making it bigger and better.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I played with pipes a bit... Honestly the thing that bugs me the most is the way the first pipe just hangs there, sticking out of the water, nice and straight... it seems like there should be some sort of buoy holding it there, but there isn't.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    I played with pipes a bit... Honestly the thing that bugs me the most is the way the first pipe just hangs there, sticking out of the water, nice and straight... it seems like there should be some sort of buoy holding it there, but there isn't.

Theyre working on new art for them pipes, as stated by @Obraxis in this very thread:

Obraxis wrote: »
    We decided recently to try and keep the pipes, as they provide some nice unique creative gameplay. So we're currently working on art for them now.

So i'd wait and see if the new art wont make behave more realistically :smiley:

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited August 2016
    I'm all for keeping pipes IF you are allowed to build a long length of them without having to a) craft 100 pipes individually, and b) place each of them separately.

This would be similar to what @ThePassionateGamer suggested.

P.S. I don't care what they look like.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    No confirmation on this, but I wouldn't expect the Pipes or Current Generator to last very long.

The current generator is effectively an immobile, constant power-free repulsion gun attack. It can be used as a directional shield. Can be good around bases to keep predators away or deployed temporarily to guard your back.

Perhaps not many players bother to use them. I haven't much because I know the game so well that nothing is terribly dangerous. But some play on hard-core mode. That means one life. You die and it's over. And for new players this gadget could be a great boon for getting rid of or guarding against some predator lurking around a resource they need.
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    When I first saw the pipes, I thought it'd make sense if they could be run from the surface to your base to increase the speed of oxygen refill, or to make the base stay full of oxygen even without power.

As currently implemented, they don't really seem like they're useful for general exploration -- their range is too short and they don't stack, so anywhere you could use them it's easier to use the seaglide or buoy to get to the surface quickly, or just park your Seamoth nearby instead. Maybe if you could hook them to the Seamoth or Cyclops instead of needing to go to the surface, they'd be more useful? That might be too OP though. And still, they'd take up too much inventory space.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    When I first saw them, I thought a similar thing. Either to link down to a base or used to create semi-permanent air pockets in the roofs of caves.

Put pipes down to the pocket and attach a pump system on the surface to keep it fresh down there. Sounds like an actual use for the pointless things.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    Mirality wrote: »
    As currently implemented, they don't really seem like they're useful for general exploration -- their range is too short and they don't stack, so anywhere you could use them it's easier to use the seaglide or buoy to get to the surface quickly, or just park your Seamoth nearby instead.

I agree that their short range and not stacking makes them more fiddly to use than is probably ideal, especially since we can carry multiple O2 tanks.

Theoretically they could be useful for new players exploring wrecks in the shallower biomes, before they have a seaglide or seamoth. But a few extra O2 tanks serve just as well and are much less of a hassle.