TAW starts testing custom maps

MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
edited December 2014 in Mapping
Yes you read correctly, TAW will playtest custom maps now in a 6v6 environment

When? We want to start at Thursday which is the 2nd October, at 20:00 CEST

Anyway we won't do it on a weekly schedule but we aim of doing it once every 2 weeks.
The mappers are invited to that aswell, since we want to give them feedback directly

Why we do this?
1.) more maps = more fun
2.) what @MauvaisVitrier‌ tried to start again was a wonderful idea but I had the feeling this project is dead already (correct me if I'm wrong)

We will start where MV stopped, which are the maps ns2_mineral and ns2_docking2 (this is a coincidence, I swear :D)

For all other mappers out there who want to have their maps tested contact me (on this thread preferably). We don't want to test maps that are not developed anymore.

P.S. I will be sad if @Loki‌ does not want to have derelict tested because I want to test that map (that also implies that we have no problems with testing greybox maps)

Next Maptests:
17th December: ns2_hydra

7th January: ns2_Outer_Rim_Ark

21th January: ns2_fusion

Comments

• MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    This is a great initiative and I appreciate you guys doing this. I'm sure every other mapper out there will think the same that I do.

However, as much as I like the idea of getting direct feedback "voice to voice" it can be very hard to keep track of what is being said and who said it. So I would recommend to post feedback in the respective threads of the maps being tested, regardless of the mapper being present or not. That will make it a lot easier for the person working on a project to organize the feedback and making informed decisions of how to continue working with them.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    @Mephilles It's on hold until I can figure out a way to actually make this happen regularly. Right now, people didn't see that much interested in the project. Nobody showed up except on the first day. Since you already have enough players it makes that task way easier I guess. So good luck.
    I'm sad though that I myself won't be able to play custom maps because nobody gives a shit about custom maps.
    But the same happens to me mappers, If I don't get feedback I can't make things better. I have people saying that they want to play on saturdays but don't show up, I have others that want to play on thurdays but I can't right now.

The project will probably be back up by the end of October though.

Good luck with custom map testing though, let us know your feedback on the forums. And just tell me if you need a merc one day :D
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2014
    @MauvaisVitrier there is the possibility that we might not be enough TAW players (since thursday is not a mandatory day for us). if thats the case we ask for mercs

@MasterG‌ yeah ofcourse we can do that. guess one of us can note down the suggestions in a textfile and copy that later on the forums (not sure if I should do that on the ENSL forums or UWE forums)
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    I have no objects to you playtesting derelict its on the workshop for that very reason, though if you do please can you post feedback either in the thread or a pm to me.
    For me attending however is another matter entirely as I am very busy, so I cant commit to turning up.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Another Maptesting group? Hopefully this one will hold a bit more time... Although I still like the idea it makes me feel sad to know that's very hard to maintain a such group alive regarding of the small interest of the public and/or competitive community for the custom maps.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    @Pelargir in the CDT trello @WasabiOne expressed his wish to see the Maptesting group back up again. What happened to this idea ? Can we get the CDT on board and try to make things work as a community. Because one man initiatives don't seem to last very long.
    Private maptestings seem to have done good to Minera though. Seems like people can make a difference after all, at least the ones that are actually motivated and willing to give feedback to the mappers (not random stuff said orally at the end of a game and immediately forgotten).
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    If the CDT were to do map testing it would be done internally which would mean NDAs and people would have to apply and be willing to commit time once or twice a week to testing maps and giving feedback on incomplete maps. It would also most likely only play internal maps not other custom maps, so really it wouldn't be tar useful to all the other maps out there.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    @Pelargir atm the tests are scheduled on a thursday, where it is a gamble if we have enough player or not. If those player numbers are less than 12 we ask friends/mercs. If we can't afford enoug players on thursday generally, we will move it to every second sunday at 21:00 CEST (at least I will fight for that) and play it as an internal scrim. we should have enough players at that point because we usually train with our competitive teams at that time (the only reason why sunday would be a bad idea is because season 5 is running)
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited September 2014
    I know that the CDT has planned to do something about maps. Relaunch some official Map Testing group like the past one. At the moment, this is one of the purposes of the current Playtesters and not dedicated Map Testers. UWE Map Testers, as PTs, have to sign NDAs and all that stuff (same application as PTs anyway but some different conditions). And as Samus just said, this won't concern all custom maps but only those that CDT think appropriate to map test or what, in my opinion, Caged is the map that CDT is interested to improve and make official. Awesome and cool idea but that also means the maps created and developed by random mappers like most of the them won't be involved in any way, at least until the stated maps above are released and satisfying.
    Let's be honest, this group will remain dead until some maps are in proper 'greybox' stages. Issue is that mappers are stopping mapping 'cause of this lack of recognition and feedbacks from players. Too bad.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    @Mephilles It's on hold until I can figure out a way to actually make this happen regularly. Right now, people didn't see that much interested in the project. Nobody showed up except on the first day. Since you already have enough players it makes that task way easier I guess. So good luck.
    I'm sad though that I myself won't be able to play custom maps because nobody gives a shit about custom maps.
    But the same happens to me mappers, If I don't get feedback I can't make things better. I have people saying that they want to play on saturdays but don't show up, I have others that want to play on thurdays but I can't right now.

The project will probably be back up by the end of October though.

Good luck with custom map testing though, let us know your feedback on the forums. And just tell me if you need a merc one day :D
    Pelargir wrote: »
    Another Maptesting group? Hopefully this one will hold a bit more time... Although I still like the idea it makes me feel sad to know that's very hard to maintain a such group alive regarding of the small interest of the public and/or competitive community for the custom maps.

Well i must share my experience. A recent event made me think differently. I was just seeding on my server. Just for the fun of it. And people started to join one after another.

The people were from "rookie" to not very experienced (but decent). One or two were a litlle above OK but that doesn't matter.

The things i noticed are simple:
    -Some of them didn't really know about what map was custom (Unless it was really obvious). And it didn't matter at all.
    -Nobody did complain about customs. Thing like "crappy map" and such. not even a single comment on that.
    -They just played and had fun.

That made me think that custom maps are not the issue. Only people are. You take ppl with the same level (more or less) and it works fins. I was please to play like that. They even showed coordinated attacks... rookies??? whow!!

Then the server crashed due to a "file not found" (steam workshop issue). But before that, nobody left. Amazing.

Bottom line is : i don't care if it is rookies. Bring ppl to NS2 and play lots of map for the fun of it... why not?

@MauvaisVitrier‌ : Maybe it's a little set back. Keep pouring some good energy on it.

@TAW. Is server is needed... Got all the maps listed here. Comp-mod can be enabled if needed.

@CDT: If only the steam workshop issue could be fixed. Is there any way to make it look like official (faking official map status) ?

And yes i like to see Outer_rim_Ark tested. (It has changed a lot since first version).

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @UncleCrunch I do not understand.. is server is needed? What do you mean?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Sorry (it was a little late).
    If a server is needed i can provide. My server is runing custom maps by default. Well... as long as steam workshop isn t messing things up.
    I don't think it's necessary. TAW is a large community and all their members are rich. They already got 4 (3?) servers on NS2 and Mr.@DC_Darkling likes to deal with them as a passionate TAW he is.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Yes, we're literally swimming in cash as we speak.

Anyway, so if people still want to do the occasional maptesting, get in touch with any of TAW's guys. We'll try to do it every two weeks on thursdays as Meph mentioned, and we're not sure if we'll always have enough TAW guys around to form up the teams. Of course if people just want to spec, or record or whatever, they're welcome too.
    edited October 2014
    @UncleCrunch‌ Outer_rim_Ark was on my list too, but first we need to contact the mapper (actually every mapper of the maps we want to test) since we would appreciate it if he could be there in person to spectate. If that's not possible at all (like in Lokis case) we will find another solution. It might be just feedback on the correct thread or maybe even a cast of those games.
    Pelargir wrote: »
    TAW is a large community and all their members are rich.

yes... of course...

I always thought you were super rich to maintain so much servers i'm disappointed...
    Anyway, good luck and don't be surprised if you see me spectating these sessions.
    if you say TAW is rich it would be different. but you just said that me, neoken and many many more are rich...
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    pff @Mephilles‌
    'not broke' is not 'rich'. :p

But yes, we thankfully have servers atm to do all this. :)
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    More testing is always good. Be sure to post about the tests on these forums (which I am sure you're planning to) so that mappers and others interested in specific maps will be able to contact you guys about playing along or spectating.
  • FivzFivz Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185072Members
    I'm still planning on updating stratos if there are any other problems with the map. mostly minor tweaks here and there but It's pretty much 100% complete.
    we will also be happy to play caged and stratos in the future
    edited October 2014
    Ok some info about the maptest server.

* Docking2 & mineral are now on. Please note I am only using the workshop ones.
    * I will assume there is one version of a map on workshop, if not do tell me.
    * Non workshop maps need not apply.
    * Please tell me of 'new' maps to be put on the server BEFORE its Thursday. The earlier the better. Its a maptest server so of course any map which can safely run can apply. :)
    * Feel free to talk to me on forum PM, this topic, or steam if you have any questions.
    * If anything else is needed let me know so I can discuss it with my fellow taw admin.
    * The maptest server is a new virtual server, so any performance issues do let us know.
    * Yes we have ns2+, nsl mod and comp mod.

Other then that.. test away. :)
    Best server admin ever! :)
    wealthy sons of bitches xD
    ok the first testing day is finished and it was great fun, for me at least. next time we need to look out for a bit more balanced teams and also we will only test 1 map every 2 weeks now. seems like most people don't have enough time to play 2 maps on thursday
    Is there any schedule ? So we put some reminder on our own schedule managers.
    the next maptest will be 16th October and no mapper did contact me atm. If no one does I thought of testing Stratos tbh, but since you are here and if you have time we can just test Outer Rim Ark on that day
    Allow me to remind all that unless you clearly request maps beforehand, they shall not yet be on the server.
    The only 'new' maps on atm are docking2 and mineral.

Please let me or another TAW server admin know before the next maptest is scheduled. :)

I won't be able to be there at 20h CEST on that day.
    I can show up at 21. Is it Ok ?