NS2 Kodiak - updated 23/03/2014 (Version to 2.5) - Map "Complete"

Comments

• LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    Update to 1.4
    Fixed many more holes around the map srsly no idea why these keep appearing
    Added a bit of detail around Tunnel B 5 / water production entrance
    Updated N C and S Bio domes with more plants etc
    Added new skybox
    3 new vents - 2 in Hanger bay 1 in surface access
    few more rocks in S biodome to narrow C to S bio route
    Moved S bio power node to it should nolonger take dmg from a hive in command
    Moved Observation power node more to hangar bay so is a little harder to defend as marines now
    Aliens should once again now have a random chance of spawning in surface access (fixed this bug :D )
    so Marines have a fixed spawn in Marine Start
    Aliens can start in any of the following locations Hangar bay / Command / Surface Access

On an optimisation note
    Imrpoved occlusion geo in falls / pass / N C and S biodome / Water Production
    Changed route in Command to Weapons relay to improve performance when in command / southern biodome ( when in these areas the engine should no longer render weapons relay and half of hydroponics
    Culled approx 25,000 edges from the map
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Very small update

1.4a
    Removed pumpkins from ready room
    FIxed cysting issue in external walkway
    Fixed a few holes in the map
    Fixed a few lights in the biodomes

More to come on sunday
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    Loki wrote: »
    Very small update

1.4a

More to come on sunday
    W...wh..what have you done!!! Y U DO DIS!

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Very small update

1.4a

More to come on sunday
    W...wh..what have you done!!! Y U DO DIS!

No more pumpkins for us :(
    edited November 2013
    1.4b,

Added more detailed geo in Surface Access
    Fixed issue taking damage when standing on windows as skulk
    Added new vent routs in Surface Access
    Added more cover in Surface Access
    1.4c

More preparation work for version 1.5 (end of nov / early december)

Minor layout change in observation
    Fixed a few holes in the map
    Reduced edge + vert approx 2k / face count approx 1k
    1.4c.1

added occlusion geo in weapons relay performance should have increased here now

Will be looking at and reworking occlusion around hydroponics for 1.5 (end of nov / early december) version of the map
    edited November 2013
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    Why don't you ask to UWE for this map being official? This map truely deserves to be supported as an future official map. Nice design idea, and the layout is even far innovative and probably better than some official ns2 maps. And your mapping skill is also tremendously great without question
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    @misteryoon well that would be nice but I need to finish my map first !

Here is a rather obscure image of part of the ravamped hangar bay <insert troll face here>

8HWmh7g.png

More snippits of the new areas soon !
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    No update I am afraid (yet........) however here is a look at a newly revamped area of the falls / observation link corridor

This will be added to the live version of the map sooooooooooon

Looks fantastic, just drop that tsa logo. You don't need it.

edited November 2013
    Ok here is a non obscure picture ! (but its not from the area pictured above) ive blocked out the area name to keep you guessing

uwwHDGm.jpg

:P

oh and dont worry I am not spoiling ALL the new zones I need to leave stuff in for you to discover!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Hm. The doors would fit to marine spawn coming from falls, but that would mean that hallway got a whole lot longer...
  • catolmcatolm Norway Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188909Members, Reinforced - Silver
    I LOVE this map. So pretty <3.
    Along side with Jambi this is the best community map I've seen.

Cheers. Chariot
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    This map is looking sooo awsome, and its very playable. I have added it to our map cycle on Battle Gorge Royale - naturalselection2.PL server.
  • SlayerXSlayerX Poland Join Date: 2004-03-01 Member: 27028Members
    New screenshots look stunning. Good job mate!
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Pro tip: r_gui 1 while spectator.
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Biodome is like Vietnam !!!
    Small update 1.5a
    - Reduced cover in falls (near marine bridge) let me know if I have gone to far please. It does feel quite open now.... Perhaps to open??????
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    The new parts look awesome.
  • AichmanAichman Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22782Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Another week another update !

Due to xmas approaching I will have limited time to map until the new year, so I will be publishing this build now. I was going to wait until I was able to get Surface and Marine start completed however I thought what the hell :D. This will be the last major update until the new year. I will continue to do bug fixes / improvments to the publishd kodiak file. Its going to take me a while to get the last two rooms done. Yes I said 2 rooms then the map will be complete !

Version 1.6!
    Added the completed Tunnel B5 (TB5)
    Partial changes to Central biodome (around connection to TB5)
    Reduced overall size of Central biodome (but not by much)
    Working to improve the marines chances of survival in Central biodome (as area is under used atm by Marines will do some plant culling soon)
    Started to build the external map around C biodome, for the time being you will find holes in it (will have no impact upon the playable zone)
    Added temp geo in surface access to hide the unfinished walls :D
    Optimisation in hangar bay - still got more to do
    Optimisation on the external enviroment around hangar bay

Tunnel B5
    dPuY1FM.png

C Biodome to TB5
    sRmMp4G.png

The new minimap - yep is changed again
    BWQjbfn.png

On A side note it has just about been a year since I started the prelimiary work on kodiak (but not the released version). To see if the idea could work, what engine limitations will restrict me and while never released this is what I first produced and looking back it was a laggy horrible mess!!!! especially when compaired to now.

The very first kodiak biodome the layout used in this first versions is vertually identical to the current North, Central and Southern Biodomes
    (then)
    South_Biodome_1.png
    South_Biodome_3_No_Power.png
    (now)
    jAJTK4O.png
    4r32YDL.png

This place would become command
    (then)
    Biodomecontrol2.png
    (now)
    dN4i1kI.png
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Gets better and better, so wish I could find more servers running sweet ass customs. Enjoy the holidays!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it until it happens: UWE should make this a stock map when it's done! :D
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    2cough wrote: »
    Gets better and better, so wish I could find more servers running sweet ass customs. Enjoy the holidays!

Really hard to find them indeed. Kinda sad, but take a look here: http://ns2stats.com/map/map/86

Allready 5 servers out there , ways to go :D
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Very nice map, hopefully once you're out of RC stages the developers can take a look and work with you to release it!
    edited December 2013
    Thanks all for the comments :D

Updated 1.6a
    Fixed console error of missing refinery prop
    ? Fully fixed the sound issue in Falls
    Removed the "willow" tree in falls to make it a more marine friendly expansion
    Reworked the waterfall in Central biodome (to remove massive hole :D )
    Reworked some of the ambient sounds in observation / falls etc