Can I publish a book based off of Subnautica?

jlb10333jlb10333 California Join Date: 2016-03-25 Member: 214784Members
I have a rough draft of a 23 word novella in my Google Drive, and I was wondering if it would break copyright laws if I published it. If it is breaking them, how can I get around the laws and publish it? Do I need UWE's approval? Thank you for any answers.

Comments

• FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    You'd run into problems if you released anything commercially/for profit. You could write fanfiction, which is essentially your own story set in someone else's universe and release it for free, that would be fine.
  • GlyphGryphGlyphGryph USA Join Date: 2015-02-19 Member: 201435Members
    I think if the novella is only 23 words long you'll be fine.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Fan Fiction spread for free in the internet is fine, but you cannot sell for profit as you would be infringing on our IP.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    I am extremely relieved to hear this. ;)
  • AlexMolloyAlexMolloy Join Date: 2021-03-30 Member: 268641Members
    Hello, in such cases, you definitely need to study the legislation or the indicated points from the author, a casual visitor to the forum is unlikely to help you, because it is always different, I am familiar with this.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    AlexMolloy wrote: »
    Hello, in such cases, you definitely need to study the legislation or the indicated points from the author, a casual visitor to the forum is unlikely to help you, because it is always different, I am familiar with this.

that necro tho damn