Can I publish a book based off of Subnautica?

jlb10333jlb10333 CaliforniaMembers Join Date: 2016-03-25 Member: 214784Posts: 3
I have a rough draft of a 23 word novella in my Google Drive, and I was wondering if it would break copyright laws if I published it. If it is breaking them, how can I get around the laws and publish it? Do I need UWE's approval? Thank you for any answers.

Comments

• FoxyFoxy United KingdomMembers, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Posts: 470 Advanced user
    You'd run into problems if you released anything commercially/for profit. You could write fanfiction, which is essentially your own story set in someone else's universe and release it for free, that would be fine.
  • GlyphGryphGlyphGryph USAMembers Join Date: 2015-02-19 Member: 201435Posts: 74 Advanced user
    I think if the novella is only 23 words long you'll be fine.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 PersonSuper Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Posts: 3,016 admin
    Fan Fiction spread for free in the internet is fine, but you cannot sell for profit as you would be infringing on our IP.

If NS2 fails, follow my Nuke From Orbit Guide.

NS2 Discord: https://discord.gg/0TKQwZWu7JEPeAgW

Subnautica Discord: https://discord.gg/subnautica

TenebrousNovaCalarand77Spongedog
  • BugzapperBugzapper AustraliaMembers Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Posts: 1,098 Advanced user
    I am extremely relieved to hear this. ;)
  • AlexMolloyAlexMolloy Members Join Date: 2021-03-30 Member: 268641Posts: 1 Fully active user
    Hello, in such cases, you definitely need to study the legislation or the indicated points from the author, a casual visitor to the forum is unlikely to help you, because it is always different, I am familiar with this.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, USMembers Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Posts: 376 Advanced user
    AlexMolloy wrote: »
    Hello, in such cases, you definitely need to study the legislation or the indicated points from the author, a casual visitor to the forum is unlikely to help you, because it is always different, I am familiar with this.

that necro tho damn
    Nyeh heh heh
    Beanboy Delivery
    You may know me as Tipoff Giggots