[Bug] Texture, material or shader z-fighting bug in Cyclops on macOS [61855]

TimaniousTimanious The Netherlands Join Date: 2018-10-23 Member: 244299Members
edited December 2018 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
I bought Subnautica on Steam a while ago and now I also tried the (newer) version from the Epic store, but I'm seeing a lot of very distracting z-fighting from a material inside and outside of the Cyclops and on some other ship wrecks that I suspect use the same material, but most noticeably inside of the Cyclops. See Youtube video. I also recorded the system info screen from the troubleshooting menu screen at the end of the video and I also included the player.log file.
I hope you guys can fix this because everything else about Subnautica is beautiful and I love playing it on my Mac with external Vega56 GPU!
Maybe it's a problem with OpenGL/OpenCL not being supported by Apple anymore because they switched to Metal?.. Might be necessary to switch from OpenGL to the Metal API for the MacOS build in Unity?.. Just guessing because I also had some problems with that with Blender and Unity..

https://youtu.be/CK0NtzrHcRA

Comments

• matmolnimatmolni Hungary Join Date: 2019-01-02 Member: 247827Members
    I am experiencing the same issues, I'm looking forward to a fix as soon as possible because the flickering inside bases and the cyclops makes the game almost unplayable.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited January 2019
    Can you try using Windows on BootCamp? Then you should be able to play under DirectX 11. Not sure if it helps when using Boot Camp on a Mac, but I know you can still upgrade using a Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 license to WIndows 10, perfectly legally, straight from Microsoft using their own Upgrade Tool (see ZDNet article on this). I only mention this because you can probably get a license for Windows 7 a lot cheaper as it's no longer in mainstream support, and then upgrade to Windows 10 for free (again, assuming this works on a Mac using Boot Camp).

Actually, just did some searching, looks like doing the upgrade from Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 in Boot Camp would be no problem whatsoever: https://www.howtogeek.com/226319/how-to-install-or-upgrade-to-windows-10-on-a-mac-with-boot-camp/

EDIT: If you are concerned about privacy with Windows 10, just run O&O ShutUp10 on it after installing. Keep in mind a lot of the personal assistant stuff can't function without user data, but I'm assuming that if you need that stuff, you do it all on the Mac OS side anyways.
  • Silverfire12Silverfire12 Join Date: 2018-04-30 Member: 240438Members
    I have the flickering too, but along with the flickering, the cyclops won't even start. Ive tried everything.
  • MysliusMyslius Join Date: 2019-03-04 Member: 251505Members
    edited March 2019
    Ping. Same issue. Cyclops, base walls, signs (and some other things) are experiencing z-fighting. Currently my biggest issue with the game.
  • IphantommenaceIphantommenace Join Date: 2020-04-04 Member: 259619Members
  • DmItRy456DmItRy456 Россия Join Date: 2020-04-14 Member: 260035Members
    Привет , помогите пожалуйста купил игру в STEAM , после запуска игры проходит несколько минут и игра вылетает на рабочий стол при этом показывает что она запущена и слышны звуки игры , и даже можно продолжать плыть и прыгать но видишь при этом рабочий стол и не как не вернуться обратно , и не выключить игру . Игру приходится выключать через диспетчер задач!!!! пожалуйста я ее только купил и сразу проблема помогите !!!!
  • DimmZONEDimmZONE Russia, Moscow Join Date: 2020-04-16 Member: 260103Members
    Good day! I bought the game for a lot of money, I played almost 10 hours. But suddenly, after repairing the antenna on the island, when I drop the depth modulus from orbit, I go into the water to swim towards it, but the game considers that there is no water and throws me to the bottom! I walk along the bottom, oxygen is not consumed. I CAN’T SWIM IN THE GAME IN WHICH YOU NEED TO SWIM !!!! I ask you to fix the problem as soon as possible and I look forward to hearing from you, dear developers.
  • codekitchencodekitchen Join Date: 2021-02-12 Member: 267639Members
    I reported this bug in-game a couple years ago when I first played on my Mac Pro. I just started another playthrough and I'm bummed to see the same issue still, a couple years later and on a different Mac (Macbook Pro).

It's not just in the Cyclops, it can happen in lots of habitat buildings and other situations that have decals painted on walls.