Where does this land in your top ten games?

2»

Comments

• NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    Few starcraft fans here. Maybe we should have a subnautica forums starcraft tourney
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Co-ordinate over Discord?
  • xer096xer096 Join Date: 2016-10-15 Member: 223127Members
    1: Warframe (2099 hours logged)
    2: the entire souls series (I think its fair to lump them together unless you wanna see them take up 5 spots)
    3: subnautica
    4: payday 2
    5: pretty much everything else
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    pie1055 wrote: »
    Starcraft/Brood War expansion

Speaking of, you heard they're making it free, with an enhanced / deluxe edition being the paid version now?

Where can one get this now? I've never actually played starcraft...
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    Ralij wrote: »

Speaking of, you heard they're making it free, with an enhanced / deluxe edition being the paid version now?

Look up starcraft 2
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/03/the-original-starcraft-is-free-from-today/
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Not in my top ten at all. I enjoy the forums more than the game, even though the community here is SUPER toxic to any ideas they don't agree with.

The game just feels like there's nothing to DO. The story and survival elements are only really a way to shunt the player around the different areas of the map. They don't really provide anything in the way of challenge. There isn't anything in the game to really engage me. Base building is too simple to engage my creativity, survival and resource gathering are too easy to engage me in a resource management game, and enemies don't provide any strategic, tactical, or combat challenges. And while looking at cool areas can be nice for a while, at a certain point playing the game is just like looking at a somewhat worse version of the concept art.
    Good old Starcraft. Before they released Brood War, I actually wrote a full campaign to follow the original. The objective was to unseat Mengsk. :) Had something like 15 missions, ranging from space, to ground, to urban, to indoors. Even worked the Zerg back into it.

Did you release it?

They're releasing a new starcraft game. It's a bit strange looking though.

Oh wait, that's Dawn Of War III. Easy to get them confused.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited April 2017
    Good old Starcraft. Before they released Brood War, I actually wrote a full campaign to follow the original. The objective was to unseat Mengsk. :) Had something like 15 missions, ranging from space, to ground, to urban, to indoors. Even worked the Zerg back into it.

Did you release it?

No. It really only got started because I had an overpowering need to kick Mengsk's ass over the moon for backstabbing me, so I built the campaign. By the time it was done, they'd announced Brood War, so I didn't bother to release it. Still have it somewhere, I'm sure.

Wow I did almost the same thing- it was a campaign that was basically a Zerg perspective of the original Terran campaign. Then the hard drive it was on got wiped =(

Ouch...sorry to hear that, Pie. :( That could've been really incredible.

Awesome ^_^
    sayerulz wrote: »
    the community here is SUPER toxic to any ideas they don't agree with.
    This is honestly the friendliest community I've ever been apart of. Then again it might just be having come here directly from Archeage...

the community here is SUPER toxic to any ideas they don't agree with.
    This is honestly the friendliest community I've ever been apart of. Then again it might just be having come here directly from Archeage...

Oh yes, everyone is very friendly, as long as no one voices any views that dissent from the majority.

You like weapons? Suddenly you're a meat headed thug who just enjoys killing for the sake of killing.

You think multiplayer would be cool? Now your an entitled crybaby.

I find the former reaction, with people saying games with weapons are nothing but "murder simulators" especially ironic since people here have games like GTA, Payday, Starcraft, ARK, and all sorts of others, which are packed to the brim with violence.
    That's not dissent, that's not reading the sticky on the topic. That and the 'false advertising' 'the devs are evil/should be sued' and other nonsense that gets seriously irritating after awhile. I would know, I want a spear and co-op would be awesome, but that's not my decision to make. The devs have decided these things, no point in causing a further ruckus.
    That's not dissent, that's not reading the sticky on the topic. That and the 'false advertising' 'the devs are evil/should be sued' and other nonsense that gets seriously irritating after awhile. I would know, I want a spear and co-op would be awesome, but that's not my decision to make. The devs have decided these things, no point in causing a further ruckus.

What I'm talking about has been going on since looooong before that sticky was there. It was going on before reapers were in the game, before the Aurora was more than just a sprite, back when you could eat acid mushrooms. Back in a time when the game seemed to have any number of directions it could go in, and certainly none of these things had been publicly announced as decisions. But despite that, community members were incredibly self-rightious and toxic, particularly around weapons.

There's no false advertising, just one disapointing decision after another. As an alpha, this game can go in whatever direction the devs want, even if it's the wrong one. As an alpha user, I accepted that, and I have not once seen the dev-hunting behavior that you talk of. I bear the devs no ill will, and ultimately they are only hurting themselves. Or perhaps I'm wrong, and the direction they are going really is a good one for the game. but it's not a good one for me.
  • kingdoo10kingdoo10 UK Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226989Members
    I mean I haven't even thought about my favourite game of all time because they constantly change.

I have really enjoyed subnautica, but it would probably come to the end of my top 10 list because of the types of games I like.

1 Cat lady (best game ever) anyone suggest anymore games like this (although I've probably played them)

2 Life is strange

3 Age of Empire series

4 Pharoah (hope they do a remake for this at somepoint)

5 Wolf Amongst Us

6 The Sims series

7 Don't starve/Don't starve together

8 Heroes of Might and Magic 5 (Not really an amazing game but I had a lot of fun playing it)

9 Subnautica

10 Jack and Dexter series
    What I'm talking about has been going on since looooong before that sticky was there. It was going on before reapers were in the game, before the Aurora was more than just a sprite, back when you could eat acid mushrooms. Back in a time when the game seemed to have any number of directions it could go in, and certainly none of these things had been publicly announced as decisions. But despite that, community members were incredibly self-rightious and toxic, particularly around weapons.

There's no false advertising, just one disapointing decision after another. As an alpha, this game can go in whatever direction the devs want, even if it's the wrong one. As an alpha user, I accepted that, and I have not once seen the dev-hunting behavior that you talk of. I bear the devs no ill will, and ultimately they are only hurting themselves. Or perhaps I'm wrong, and the direction they are going really is a good one for the game. but it's not a good one for me.

Ah, thats well before my time then. I guess it makes sense in the larger context, just not the one I've seen. I have seen the dev-hunting a couple of times on here and on the steam forums. Let's hope that it works out for the best either way, even if its not how we would prefer it.
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members

Wow I did almost the same thing- it was a campaign that was basically a Zerg perspective of the original Terran campaign. Then the hard drive it was on got wiped =(

Ouch...sorry to hear that, Pie. :( That could've been really incredible.

I was like 12 at the time so it was probably pretty terrible lol.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Subnautica beats out some very august and esoteric company in my case:

1. Subnautica
    2. Pathologic (Russian plague/mysticism simulation game)
    3. X-Plane (Plane maker)
    4. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
    5. The Long Dark (and some similar games)
    6. Tie Fighter/Wing Commander II/III/Klingon Academy
    7. Il-2 Sturmovik / DCS World
    8. King of Dragon Pass
    9. Earth Siege II / Starsiege
    10. Thief II

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Alpha Centauri was a great game. I thought about that one after I made my list.

I've really been enjoying playing Subnautica for these past few months. And I've played through several times. Ultimately, I think I might give Subnautica the top spot on my list of games that you generally play through a couple of times. But my top ten will always be games that include random generation of game elements that allows for *infinite* replayability--e.g. 4x games.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members

Man, those were interesting times to say the least.

This gif describes that time fairly well.

6r0u5u7byi8d.gif
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited April 2017
    Skope wrote: »
    Man, those were interesting times to say the least.

Those "times" are still here. Don't kid yourself, Nothing has changed.
    But despite that, community members were incredibly self-rightious and toxic, particularly around weapons.

The longer I've been here, the more I've realised that it's not because they want to be self-righteous or toxic. They just don't know any different. They don't even know they're being toxic because it's a group mentality. When toxicity becomes the normal behaviour in a society it's no longer considered toxic. It's an unfortunate symptom of the fact that there's a lot of children here playing at being grown-ups. Or at least grown-ups with very childish minds. I can't tell which. I think they got lost here on their way to Reddit and got stuck. Combined with the fact that there's a lot of "sheep" mentality on these forums, mixed with a healthy dose of hypocrisy, and a level tablespoon of ignorance, it means you have to agree with the general consensus or be shunned.
    (eg; "It's early access" being used to excuse things which should not be excused. This is the time to fix things, not excuse them and hope it's fixed before release. How will it be fixed when everyone simply sucks up to the devs without giving constructive criticism? But try making a thread about it, see what happens.)

Fair criticism is far too often shut down, unfairly, because of the climate this has bred. And I can't help but see how the game itself has suffered severely because of it.
    I think for me it started with the PRAWN. What a ridiculous, silly concept. It's like something thought up by a 13 year old.
    And it only got worse when the whole precursor stuff started. Such a cliche, such unoriginality. The game's potential, squandered. Julian could have written a better story for the game.
    It's hard to imagine the developers intentionally sabotaging their fantastic creation in that way without doing so because of what they perceived the fans wanted. Ergo, childish minds wanting childish things. The lowest common denominator.

And the most frustrating thing for someone like me is that it's hard to blame the developers for the things I don't like about the game. The biggest problem is that they have so many "yes men" telling them they're doing a fantastic job, keep up the great work, there's nothing wrong, la la la la, don't listen to the critics, etc.

It's the frustration of knowing what could have been that sucks the most.
  • latham58latham58 Join Date: 2021-01-05 Member: 266615Members
    My top 10 list because of the types of games I like:
    1- Pokemon X
    2- Pokemon Light Platinum
    3- Legend of Zelda
    4- Super Mario Sunshine
    5- Sonic Jam