PS4 version unplayable

SanoSano Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161231Members
edited November 2020 in Subnautica on Consoles
Bought the game somewhere last week.
Lost 4 hours of progress because the game refuses to save. My current game is now "stuck" as in it never will save again, sometimes i get the hash error, sometimes i dont get the hash error, but it even then it wont save. Ive gotten to "Tier 2" and finished the cyclops sub marine and water purifier, it seemed to have happened after that. This means i have to start all over (+30 hours) which i wont do, or never play another game on my PS4 until im done with Subnautica which i also wont do. Ive been reading online this problem has existed for more then a year! It seems support for consoles has been completly dropped.
After supporting NS2 back in the day this is a kick in the balls. I can live with the low framerates and pop-ins, clipping bugs, etc. The PS4 is ancient, those are no problem for me, but not being able to save is a death sentence for the game.

Ill try to get a refund bc its a non working product but bc of the hours played i probably wont get it.

Comments

• SanoSano Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161231Members
    edited November 2020
    I now read that this is a reintroduced bug with the last update, i thought this bug was there for more then a year since this has been a problem in the past. So there is support for console, which is good news. I started a new game after the fatal patch.
    I have about 6 big lockers full of crap. Ive never been to lost river, i have been to the Jellyshroom cave.
  • kenpachi85kenpachi85 United States Join Date: 2020-10-27 Member: 264994Members
    Sorry Sano we got ripped off best to move on to another game and save yourself the stress. My first play through got bugged and I barely managed to beat the game in the 2nd one by meticulously babysitting the game.

It's buggy af and tbh punching rocks and scurrying around like a mouse gets old.
  • EzraAdaraEzraAdara Join Date: 2020-11-23 Member: 265624Members
    Well, I’m glad I came to the forums to read this. I have been having save issues and thought they had been here for years too. I had just picked up the game 2 weeks ago and after 23 hours of gameplay I got my first save bug, it was the baked batch cells error. I managed to save progress by only saving in the spawn life pod and managed to make it to 51 hours of gameplay, all the while having to deal with save bugs. I agree that the PS4 is an old machine and frame rate drops and pop ins should be expected, but save errors in a single player exploration and survival game is just disappointing and demotivating. At 51 hours I got the global objects bin error. (Where you save and it saves the world but nothing you’ve built). I tried everything reddit suggested to save and after 90 minutes of trying to save literally every 1-5 mins my game crashed. After loading back in I had nothing except what was in my inventory. I started out truly loving this game as it was shaping to be one of my favorite of all time. This just absolutely killed the experience for me and I will not be touching it again till next patch.
  • kenpachi85kenpachi85 United States Join Date: 2020-10-27 Member: 264994Members
    I wouldnt hold my breathe waiting for a patch if past is prologue things will only get worse. Ive played much more complicated games graphics wise that had bigger worlds and havent seen anything like what we are encountering with this game.

Its not the console thats the issue here its that the devs didnt optimize it for console and rushed things. Then promptly abandoned console users
  • NotHappyNotHappy Australia Join Date: 2020-11-27 Member: 265694Members
    I love the game but what I don't love is that I can't save, that to me is absolutely bullshit, making us wait until hell freezes over before something gets done about it is something I didn't pay for.
  • tbone272tbone272 Underwater Join Date: 2020-11-30 Member: 265738Members
    that does suck... could still find some fun and get progress back using console commands. Im enjoying playing on console and just cheating alot lol
  • FixPS4SaveBugPlzFixPS4SaveBugPlz Ukraine Join Date: 2020-12-03 Member: 265810Members

EzraAdara wrote: »
    Well, I’m glad I came to the forums to read this. I have been having save issues and thought they had been here for years too. I had just picked up the game 2 weeks ago and after 23 hours of gameplay I got my first save bug, it was the baked batch cells error. I managed to save progress by only saving in the spawn life pod and managed to make it to 51 hours of gameplay, all the while having to deal with save bugs. I agree that the PS4 is an old machine and frame rate drops and pop ins should be expected, but save errors in a single player exploration and survival game is just disappointing and demotivating. At 51 hours I got the global objects bin error. (Where you save and it saves the world but nothing you’ve built). I tried everything reddit suggested to save and after 90 minutes of trying to save literally every 1-5 mins my game crashed. After loading back in I had nothing except what was in my inventory. I started out truly loving this game as it was shaping to be one of my favorite of all time. This just absolutely killed the experience for me and I will not be touching it again till next patch.

The same story for me.
    I'll give another try with a new game and copying every time the last successful save to USB stick. A quite annoying thing, but nothing else could help now.
    It's a pity that dev. team abandoned this fatal issue.
  • TheFirstKlutzTheFirstKlutz Netherlands Join Date: 2020-12-07 Member: 265904Members
    Hi Guys, I really love your game and spend loads of hours in survival mode making bases all over the place without actually wanting to finish the game to prolong the experience during my first playthrough (LAST YEAR). I got very sick this year and now recovering and wanted to start over to experience the game again but now I am running into the save bug on the ps4: SAVE DATA saving failed {CellsCache/baked-bath-cells-7-19-15. bin with the question to try again but then it keeps failing as well. It does save despite the error message but not all the time so not really reliable. I've seen that other users eventually lose all their stuff except the stuff they carry in their inventory when this bug occurs. I want to finish the game before I actually die but because of the latest patch I cannot. I do have my previous save file with more as 4 days and 19 hour of playing time but do not dare to start that one as it might get corrupted as well. Do you think you will release a fix anytime soon? Or can you make a new patch which goes back to last workable version so we can actually play the game without getting frustrated? It's really a beautiful game and maybe even one of my all time favorite if the save problem is fixed.
  • JadeC2012JadeC2012 Join Date: 2020-12-08 Member: 265944Members
    Yeah my game just broke this morning. I had about 50 hours on my save and logged in to swimming in the lost river with no base, no vehicles, and no trackable items in my PDA. Even worse, most of the games textures somehow have been disabled; there's no plants or animals.

I have a wife and kids so my time playing video games is limited as it is. I'm super disappointed that I've wasted my time on this game. I'm also extremely angry that I spent my money on this game and could only play it for about three weeks.
  • eblanceblanc Canada Join Date: 2020-12-08 Member: 265946Members
    Lost my 30 hours save :/ was not fun. Please fix the save so that hopefully I don't have to restart.
  • FixPS4SaveBugPlzFixPS4SaveBugPlz Ukraine Join Date: 2020-12-03 Member: 265810Members
    Hey guys, if you faced the save bug (CellsCache-baked-batch-cells) then just follow one rule: NEVER NEVER NEVER quit, until you get the successful save, because your save file is ALREADY corrupted (during the failed saving process) and unfortunately on PS4 there is only one save slot. You need to find a right way or/and a place to make a successful saving and then copy you save file to USB stick. So next time you can replace the corrupted save file with your latest copied save.

I guess I found one good point for saving - it's around the south beach of the main island (about 850m to north from life-pod). You need to get outside of your Seamoth (if you're using it) and stand on ground. In that way you'll be far enough from Warpers, your base, Aurora, and all other stuff that can break a saving process (I'm still not sure as for what exactly causes the fail).

P.S. You can also try one work-around that sometimes works well - it's a death and respawn.
  • TheFirstKlutzTheFirstKlutz Netherlands Join Date: 2020-12-07 Member: 265904Members

P.S. You can also try one work-around that sometimes works well - it's a death and respawn.[/quote]

Will try this later today thanks! Already tried removing power cell from Seamoth and batteries from charger posted in other threads (did not work) and all this happened after visiting 900 meter alien base and scanning the sea dragon remains in base and on floor. Once back out and back to base the error came for the first time and did not go away no matter what I tried. (Saving in life pod, on islands away from bases and vehicles does not make a difference as it did for some others).

• virtualdonvirtualdon Join Date: 2019-11-22 Member: 255783Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Confirm Email, Subnautica Developer
    We've been working with our engineers and QA team since this save game bug was introduced with the last patch. We resolved the error late last week and the build is now with Sony awaiting certification. As long as it passes, the update should be coming soon.
    Thanks for the update! How long does this certification normally take?
  • virtualdonvirtualdon Join Date: 2019-11-22 Member: 255783Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Confirm Email, Subnautica Developer
    It can vary, but we're hoping it'll come out of certification by the end of the week.
    Wonderful news can't wait to dive deeper this weekend!
  • lvmealone_leviathanlvmealone_leviathan UK Join Date: 2020-11-20 Member: 265572Members
    Hey guys, if you faced the save bug (CellsCache-baked-batch-cells) then just follow one rule: NEVER NEVER NEVER quit, until you get the successful save, because your save file is ALREADY corrupted (during the failed saving process) and unfortunately on PS4 there is only one save slot. You need to find a right way or/and a place to make a successful saving and then copy you save file to USB stick. So next time you can replace the corrupted save file with your latest copied save.

I guess I found one good point for saving - it's around the south beach of the main island (about 850m to north from life-pod). You need to get outside of your Seamoth (if you're using it) and stand on ground. In that way you'll be far enough from Warpers, your base, Aurora, and all other stuff that can break a saving process (I'm still not sure as for what exactly causes the fail).

P.S. You can also try one work-around that sometimes works well - it's a death and respawn.

I thought the location of the save was irrelevant, that the save will be corrupted the more data i.e. bases, vehicles, etc it tries to save regardless of where you are on the map
    Thanks for the update! Tried it just now and no longer have the save bug! It does take several minutes to save but if that is all it should be fine! Have a great weekend I know what I wil be doing the coming days! thanks!
  • PoppeTheGamerPoppeTheGamer DK Join Date: 2020-12-18 Member: 266139Members
    edited December 2020
    Hello,
    I found that if I went to the life raft where you start, and went up and down the ladder a couple of time, and finally looked at the wrecked ship Aurora, I have been able to save.
    I have checked today and Update 1.12 is NOT available in Denmark :'(
  • TidalShark87TidalShark87 Join Date: 2021-01-01 Member: 266487Members
    PS4 Pro Subnautica Bugs/Issues - Anyone that can help?

1.) Biggest thing for me is I have to drop or box every item including what I'm wearing to go through my PDA info otherwise it will show me the item list but you can't go to next page pushing R1 or L1. It just drops your items or does nothing. When I'm building a habitat I can only use the 1st page so with no way of being able to scroll through every piece I could make I have no way of progressing through the game. If I knew it was like this i would've never bought this and it's a shame cause I love the game but will these menu issues be fixed?

2.) Other ones are annoying glitches like seamoth gets stuck places and goes invisible, you go to main menu and reload save and it has a black screen. I also can't use the terminals on the aurora to enter codes. I am frustrated and don't know what to do.
  • TidalShark87TidalShark87 Join Date: 2021-01-01 Member: 266487Members
    Btw I just got the update 1.12 so does anyone know if they will fix the issues I'm having cause if I can't fabricate the base stuff I can't upgrade the seamoth or anything?
    edited January 2021
    PS4 Pro Subnautica Bugs/Issues - Anyone that can help?

1.) Biggest thing for me is I have to drop or box every item including what I'm wearing to go through my PDA info otherwise it will show me the item list but you can't go to next page pushing R1 or L1. It just drops your items or does nothing. When I'm building a habitat I can only use the 1st page so with no way of being able to scroll through every piece I could make I have no way of progressing through the game. If I knew it was like this i would've never bought this and it's a shame cause I love the game but will these menu issues be fixed?

2.) Other ones are annoying glitches like seamoth gets stuck places and goes invisible, you go to main menu and reload save and it has a black screen. I also can't use the terminals on the aurora to enter codes. I am frustrated and don't know what to do.

Hi there, was wondering if you changed the control scheme? I did and had to use other buttons to go through the menus. For example I had to use X to type in terminal codes.
  • Kalypso808Kalypso808 Join Date: 2021-03-02 Member: 268038Members
    I've been playing for around 40 hours and have experienced some bugs throughout the course, the worst was my sea moth being instantly destroyed because I parked it in the Jellyshroom Caves where some stalactites hadn't loaded in yet, but nothing totally game breaking, just frustrating. Recently however I was exploring the lava castle for the first time with my cyclops and prawn suit. I entered the alien thermal plant with my seaglide and the floor hadn't loaded in yet and I fell through the map and am stuck in the walls of the structure. I tried running around until my water bar ran out and I died, but instead of spawning in the cyclops like I have every other time I have died after I built it, I spawned in the starting Lifepod with everything I had 1300 meters below me. I had a sea moth with the MK3 depth module installed and got it through the lost river and as far as I could go before it got crushed and was able to seaglide the rest of the way to the cyclops, but when I got in it I tried to save again and the game crashed and I respawned back, stuck inside the walls of the alien thermal plant, where I had last saved as I tried to quit out of the game to no avail. I'm trying the process again right now, but my hopes aren't super high. I don't know why the game crashed and from what I've seen on the forums I've been lucky to have experienced so few game breaking bugs. Why is the console version of the game so broken? Is there any hope of these numerous issues being patched as the game has been released for three years already, or have the devs moved on? Just doesn't feel right to sell a game in such a broken state with no acknowledgement or warning of these bugs.
  • CochonouCochonou France Join Date: 2019-01-19 Member: 249024Members
    Kalypso808 wrote: »
    Why is the console version of the game so broken? Is there any hope of these numerous issues being patched as the game has been released for three years already, or have the devs moved on? Just doesn't feel right to sell a game in such a broken state with no acknowledgement or warning of these bugs.

It's hard to say. What can be objectively said is that the support of the console versions from UW has been sub-part and frustrating. There have been many improvement and bugfixes, but also a lot of regressions. One of the best times to play it on PS4 was in the first half of 2019, afterwards several other bugs were introduced such as graphical z-fighting (which was left unpatched for almost a year !).

Lately a major unity engine update has been backported to the console versions, which comes from the current work on the console versions of Below Zero. This has improved a lot the terrain streaming performance, but also introduced game breaking bugs. I believe most of them are fixed now... so paradoxically, it might be a good time to play the game currently. I hope that other updates to the SN engine will be backported from BZ. This is our best hope for improvement.
  • modysosamodysosa Qatar Join Date: 2020-10-16 Member: 264728Members
    edited March 2021
    I'm super disappointed, the game still not working in ps4
    the game stuck 80% loading
    you will fix the game or not
    now i heat the game because of the game developer
  • yulia19yulia19 US Join Date: 2021-03-25 Member: 268493Members
    I play my games on PC so no such issues for me.
  • RreetRreet Join Date: 2021-03-27 Member: 268540Members
    edited March 2021
    I can't get the knife to work in PS4. It is equipped, and I have plenty of space in my inventory. I get the text prompt to use it...on the seaweed...or just the words "giant coral"... but when I hit X nothing happens. I have exited and relaunched the game several times. Dropped and picked up the knife...and unequipped and reequipped it. Am I missing something?. R2 to use. not X.... sigh.
  • squashemsquashem Usa Join Date: 2021-04-09 Member: 268942Members
    (Bug) build Dec 2020 67174. PS4

Scanner room only has 5 items in the list to scan. How do I fix this?

xa1fo1pjli1h.jpeg

:'(

• yulia19yulia19 US Join Date: 2021-03-25 Member: 268493Members
    I have the same issue with cyberpunk 2077 which was almost unplayable on PS4 and I ended up getting a refund. This was the first game I pre-ordered and it ended up as a disaster.