It seems Below Zero won't feature VR

BleifreiBleifrei Germany Join Date: 2019-01-29 Member: 249615Members
Hi,

to my shame, I only came on to the board because I got a little triggered by the steam forum and the following statement from one of the devs.

"Obraxis:
Sadly we don't think we'll be able to do VR justice. Not because we don't love VR (we do) or all own multiple headsets (we do)....We wanted to do a better job with SN1 but time and availability of people was difficult. We just don't want people having a bad experience in VR for Below Zero, so we're likely not doing it unless we can find the time. Making the game itself is the top priority."

I just want to carry this over here, because it seems, here no one has caught on to this yet? I wrote some suggestions on the steam forum but this very thread just turned toxic the moment this message hit. So I hope this forum stays civil and focuses on problem solving. :smile:

So my question was (both to devs and community) why not make a VR mode DLC? I can see that there is not much monetary gain with VR as a feature. But to me the question is, couldn't we change this by buying into VR? If this would be implemented with a crowdfunding sort of model it could also prove its viability in advance. My pledge/offer would be 200€! I don't know about you but I really want see this happen and I like UnknownWorld enough so the money would seem good invested to me even though it would way overshoot the price of one copy. Since I saw the pimax Kickstarter campaign that gathered about 4.000.000,- € I think there is a very good chance for a subnautica campaign. This game is really famous for it's VR mode and below zero from the screenshots, looks even a lot more gorgeous. These graphics in VR would blow me away!

Please tell me what you think

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I'd say make it an experimental option toggled via flag (-vrmode 1 or similar) for those who wish to try it, with the knowledge that it's not currently (and may never be, depending on how things go) officially supported.
  • AvaruuAvaruu Texas Join Date: 2016-06-06 Member: 218168Members
    Oh noooo I really hope they include VR in some fashion! I only recently started a VR playthrough of the original game and I love it (even if I can't see the cursor.. it still works), even though I don't think it ever turned out very 'final' in any capacity.
  • ditobaonditobaon usa Join Date: 2019-02-02 Member: 250130Members
    I'd pay for VR DLC if it had motion controller support. I actually agree with them on this point though. Better to have no VR then shabby VR and the time will probably be better spent on perfecting the core game. But yeah, I'm totally down for some VR in this one.
  • BDelacroixBDelacroix Florida Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215511Members
    Does this game do head tracking though, like with TrackIR? I think the first one does not.
  • Denis_ADenis_A Russia Join Date: 2019-02-09 Member: 250724Members
    Hello!

Developers can make experimental builds and, for example, can made experimental cut-off mode for VR , namely, stay diving in VR mode (as Subnautica 1) and transfer the PDA mode to outside of VR – on a mouse controller and flat desktop surface over VR (without making "PDA" mode in VR dimension with its VR controllers, because it givs a some terrible expirience). 98-99% game going in the freediving mode and 1-2% is only in PDA. There is no problem to press “Tab” and raising the visor of helmet for consume adaptive interface for this 1-2% on a "base monitor". Of course if this not a problem for the overall implementation of the game. I think that a devs spent mach more time to implement his user interface in VR than in passthrough existing 3D environment into VR. Anyway a moderators can raise the vote on this forum to give new quantative feedback about Subnautica in the VR with different game modes without frustration in both camps. Of course if the topic will be interesting for the authors..

And yet many thanks to our developers,

ps: or develop Android/iOS app for the "PDA" (for a seamless skirmish with VR mode "from a real user pocket") and this mode may be a bombs for appreciator of game. It is not so difficult with small subscription pay. :)
    Best regards,
  • CassiehCassieh Join Date: 2019-11-05 Member: 255311Members
    Finally found a - suspiciously small - place to cry about the absence of VR in the new super awesome SN. Also, would pay for a VR DLC. SN1 worked very, very well with just a controller. Haven't played a game so immersive. But i'm not sure it will do the same without VR.
  • JAZZYFORSUBNAUTICAJAZZYFORSUBNAUTICA Join Date: 2018-05-01 Member: 240453Members
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo pls put vr
  • tarbaltarbal Join Date: 2019-12-21 Member: 256616Members
    After playing the first one through in VR I doubt I could play the new one without it. It would just seem like a backwards step :(
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I'd imagine someone could port the VR functionality of Subnautica to BZ, they use the same engine, right?