[Mod] New in-game posters

Alterra_CorpAlterra_Corp Join Date: 2017-02-05 Member: 227656Members
There are posters for the Aurora and PRAWN suit but why no love for the mighty Cyclops and faithful Seamoth?@!@!1 :p

Since I can't add but only replace the existing posters, the kitty had to go. Also, since we have 2 posters of the prawn suit - deleting one frees up another slot. This way we have the 2 slots needed to add the seamoth and cyclops posters. This completes the set.

Lower res previews:

w3zkm5ca61es.jpgfbhv7hkntod5.jpg

There's also matching in-game icons:

dkfou6l7kwxe.jpg

In-game group shot:
u8fdc79kgfxh.jpg

About Using This Mod:
Subnautica is a Unity game which uses .assets files that contain the game's resources. Most of the modable goodies are in a file named resources.assets. You need a program such as DerPopo's Unity Assets Bundle Extractor (UABE) to modify assets in this file.

You can read more about UABE on github and the 7DaystoDie forum.

Users have the choice to use the UABE app and manually import the textures themselves or use the installer I provided to automate the process. The installer was created by UABE so that users do not have to download and install the UABE application. This makes distributing mods convenient and quick to install.

One Important Note:
As with modding in general, you will need to re-apply your mods whenever the game updates. This is fine if you play the default stable build which gets an update every month or so. However, for experimental users the game is updated multiple times daily which makes modding less practical. In this case it would be wise to use the automated method (like I do).

DOWNLOAD
Full install instructions provided in the readme file (make sure you read it).

Download HERE

Comments

• True_BoredomTrue_Boredom Join Date: 2016-08-16 Member: 221418Members
    "Extensive Storage" (Citation Needed)
  • Alterra_CorpAlterra_Corp Join Date: 2017-02-05 Member: 227656Members

Not sure what you mean?

"Extensive storage" was from the official data bank entry on the wiki:
    http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Cyclops
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Extensive enough?
    8xyauxn5a9qj.jpg
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members

Not sure what you mean?

"Extensive storage" was from the official data bank entry on the wiki:
    http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Cyclops

Might be poking fun at the fact the Cyclops's lockers are kind of underwhelming in terms of provided storage size. As @Fathom has pointed out though, you can put your own lockers onto the interior to make up for it!
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    Extensive enough?
    8xyauxn5a9qj.jpg

How does that work when the doors are open?
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Ojakokko wrote: »
    Fathom wrote: »
    Extensive enough?
    8xyauxn5a9qj.jpg
    How does that work when the doors are open?
    It is actually the space behind the dock under the engine room. When I used the dock for this, the lockers remained in place while the doors opened and it made a lot of collision noise docking and undocking. Haven't tried if it's still possible to put anything there for a while. Just looked silly having floating lockers there and I was always afraid I'd randomly explode or lift off, every time I used the dock.
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    We need these in real life........
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    edited February 2017
    NerdyEric wrote: »
    We need these in real life........

Yeah, the currant posters we have as merch is just concept art. It's cool, but it would be cooler to have the actual posters from the game as merch.
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    edited February 2017
    Not that it is of any relevance to posters. However you can also place .jpg files in your save game screenshot folder for a sweet custom art gallery using picture frames. (I would die if they allowed an animated gif)
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Great work! I, for one, would love to have those in-game.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    These are some awesome posters.

But hey, what more could I expect from @Alterra_Corp themselves :)
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for the nice comments and "awesome" votes. :)

DrownedOut wrote: »
    Awh, no seaglide? Poor guy always gets the short end of the stick. But those are some really nice posters. Great job!
    I was actually going to make one for the Seamoth Seaglide but in the end thought that it would be out of place. Reason being that the existing posters are of vehicles while the seaglide is a deployable/equipment. I am still tempted to make one - we would have to replace the NS2 poster to open up another slot.....

0x6A7232 wrote: »
    If you already did all of the work, I wonder if you could just get the attention of a dev and ask them to drop the files in? Stick them in the Seamoth bay and... I dunno, the main cargo bay?
    I would be honored if the devs decided to include the posters in their game, but I don't think that is going to happen. They are welcome to take ownership of my work should they decide. (I'll even provide the .psd files) :p

I updated the first post with the download link to the mod. Enjoy.

I have some other mods in the pipeline. B)

Edit: Typo, meant to say seaglide not seamoth.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    If you already did all of the work, I wonder if you could just get the attention of a dev and ask them to drop the files in? Stick them in the Seamoth bay and... I dunno, the main cargo bay?
    I would be honored if the devs decided to include the posters in their game, but I don't think that is going to happen. They are welcome to take ownership of my work should they decide. (I'll even provide the .psd files) :p

I honestly dont understand why they never made 1 or 2 contests like this with the main reward being to have your work appear in the game. that poster idea of yours is awesome i would love to see those posters come in the game

few months ago i brought up the idea of making a sea base showcase contest, it would have been epicly awesome, but sadly they either dont care or found that a bad idea as no devs answered

the Hull plate contest from @Comprox was a cool idea tho, they def should make more of those!
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited February 2017
  • Aviator1945Aviator1945 Appleton, WI Join Date: 2017-01-02 Member: 225904Members
    I would love these posters in game, they are very well done. I hope a Dev wanders over here.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Oh, those are very nice.

I would love to put those in the game. The problem is, we are currently concerned about extraneous items which add to the texture memory budget, so non essential items like posters are a concern.

If after you've finished texturing more important items, and you have space, would you consider adding these posters? Or is there more to it than that? I'd like to see more posters, but if it's too much of a strain on memory then that's okay :)
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Oh, those are very nice.

I would love to put those in the game. The problem is, we are currently concerned about extraneous items which add to the texture memory budget, so non essential items like posters are a concern.

How hard would it be to have an extra menu option, where one can enable extra textures based on video RAM size? Have the game do an auto-detect, but have a bunch of checkboxes for any extra stuff. Extra stuff from mods, non-essential cosmetics and the like, just not loaded with the rest of the assets.

Might get confused by shared-RAM setups? But those wouldn't want the extra stuff anyway. But a lot of people have lots of video ram. I download some for my video card erryday, yo.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Oh, those are very nice.

You have 2 PRAWN posters, but none of the essential vehicles Seamoth and Cyclops!!!

I bet most of the players would like posters of the main vehicles.
    Oh, those are very nice.

@Squeal_Like_A_Pig
    Thanks! That means a lot comming from someone who's art I use as my desktop wallpaper.

I read Jonas' trello comment a while back about already being at the texture budget, so I understand and agree about not adding non-essentials.

[Salesman mode ON] Instead of adding, how about replacing? As zetachron mentioned, we already have 2 posters of the Prawn, both of which are in the same "pose" with different backdrops. So this leaves only 1 poster 680KB in size. Theres always the kitty or ns2 poster that could be swapped out as well...[Salesman mode OFF]

On another note, this texture budget has me thinking...If we are already over budget then logically this means that there will be no mod support in the future to add new content. There goes all my ideas of adding new models after 1.0 - sad panda :(

• SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Those are amazing.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    Not necessarily. If the devs release some sort of "Creation Kit" for Subnautica, then my friend @Alterra_Corp, your mods and many others would come to life.
  • TazMania720TazMania720 Join Date: 2019-03-23 Member: 251918Members
    I like the poster idea.