Problem about making a new rifle model.

sXLgsXLg China Join Date: 2019-03-04 Member: 251499Members
edited March 2019 in Modding
Hello,everybody!
I've been wondering whether is it possible to convert GoldSrc or Source model(whose file type is .mdl and .smd if decomplied) into NS2.So after one day for setting up the necessary tools and other day for learning the process and one more day for solving the textures problems,I finally compiled a new rifle model using CS1.6's MP5 as a source file.
Everything just seems to be fine in game.
bum98lfu9al5.jpg

However,this gun just isn't able to fire.When I clicked the left button of my mouse,it only plays the shoot animation without any other thing happens.That is,NO BULLET COMES OUT NO MUZZLE FLASH NO SOUND
.I searched for similar problems in our forums but nothing useful was found. I guess something is wrong with the .model_compile file like you must set an certain event type in Qc when modelling in GoldSrc.But since the official Model Tools User Manual didn't mention anything about this,I'm so confused that I can't proceed with this little experiment.
Here is the content of my .model_compile file

geometry GUN.DAE
Animation draw DRAW.DAE
Animation idle IDLE.DAE speed 0.1
Animation run IDLE.DAE speed 2
Animation sprint_start IDLE.DAE speed 1.5
Animation Sprint IDLE.DAE speed 5
Animation Sprint_End IDLE.DAE speed 1.7
Animation Jump IDLE.DAE
Animation Jump_Land IDLE.DAE
Animation Jump_Sprint IDLE.DAE
Animation Jump_Sprint_land IDLE.DAE
Animation Primary FIRE.DAE speed 2 loop
Animation Primary_loop FIRE.DAE speed 2 loop
Animation Primary_out FIRE.DAE speed 2 loop
Animation Primary_empty FIRE.DAE speed 2
Animation Fire FIRE.DAE speed 2
Animation secondary FIRE.DAE speed 0.2
Animation reload reload.DAE speed 1.2
Animation toss_end IDLE.DAE speed 10
Animation flinch_gore IDLE.DAE speed 2
Animation idle_brush IDLE.DAE speed 0.8
Animation idle_lower IDLE.DAE speed 20
attach_point fxnode_riflemuzzle
Scale 0.5

I haven't made other animation yet,so i replaced all of them with IDLE.

Does anybody know how this problem occur and how to solve it? I'm eager to take any advice from you awesome guys!

Besides,is it still possible to get some source model files?I think I would need marine arms source model for making new weapons model and learn something new from the .model_compile files further.

Comments

• ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2019
    I've mentioned this before to some UWE community devs but they insist it's because i am just simply doing something wrong and or are just too dumb, however i managed to get one of my weapons that i compiled with dae and fbx to work on a very old build of NS2 which is why i suspect maybe BeigeAlert could be more helpful in regards to this as to why it may be, DAE/FBX has issues.

My issues are:
    Problems with pistol = doesn't shoot after reloading, have to switch weapons, no sound either.
    Problems with axe = doesn't do damage to objects, no sound either.
    Problems with rifle = doesn't shoot projectiles and no sound.

I've been converting models from goldsrc > ns2 and source > ns2 for ages, my problem is always the bloody "view models" they refuse to work properly. I'll post some examples soon and maybe others can jump in, it's fairly easy.

I get the same issue as you, it doesn't shoot, you can make it shoot for the first frame by switching to female marine, shoot one and then switch back to male marine model, this enables you to shoot once and reload etc, but this isn't helpful.

Also you want your model file to look like
    animation	"idle" 		"rifle_view.dae" from "1" to "42" speed 0.6 loop

Goldsrc seems to need about 0.6x the speed :)

I'll post a video of how i convert mine, i've been doing it for years.

The community DEV team are annoying, the choice to remove assets was frustrating, now to access them you need to rightclick in steam and in beta, use access code: forthemodders and select art assets, be careful it overwrites your ns2 folder and downloads the new version.

Like for instance this model here which i converted from NS1, do i need to add some sort of sound file to the model compile? howcome it plays no sound for the mines when picking them up? even when i get it from the comm drops and armory.

I have attached the model, obviously there are a few things like textures being huge and oversized etc, this is not really a good example, but it's one that works but doesn't play sound.
    mine.7z 15.1M
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    It sounds like you're missing a "shoot" frame tag. Frame tags are present in animations exported from 3dsmax in the collada (DAE) format that mark certain parts of the animation.
  • sXLgsXLg China Join Date: 2019-03-04 Member: 251499Members
    Archie wrote: »
    I've mentioned this before to some UWE community devs but they insist it's because i am just simply doing something wrong and or are just too dumb, however i managed to get one of my weapons that i compiled with dae and fbx to work on a very old build of NS2 which is why i suspect maybe BeigeAlert could be more helpful in regards to this as to why it may be, DAE/FBX has issues.

My issues are:
    Problems with pistol = doesn't shoot after reloading, have to switch weapons, no sound either.
    Problems with axe = doesn't do damage to objects, no sound either.
    Problems with rifle = doesn't shoot projectiles and no sound.

I've been converting models from goldsrc > ns2 and source > ns2 for ages, my problem is always the bloody "view models" they refuse to work properly. I'll post some examples soon and maybe others can jump in, it's fairly easy.

I get the same issue as you, it doesn't shoot, you can make it shoot for the first frame by switching to female marine, shoot one and then switch back to male marine model, this enables you to shoot once and reload etc, but this isn't helpful.

Also you want your model file to look like
    animation	"idle" 		"rifle_view.dae" from "1" to "42" speed 0.6 loop

Goldsrc seems to need about 0.6x the speed :)

I'll post a video of how i convert mine, i've been doing it for years.

The community DEV team are annoying, the choice to remove assets was frustrating, now to access them you need to rightclick in steam and in beta, use access code: forthemodders and select art assets, be careful it overwrites your ns2 folder and downloads the new version.

Like for instance this model here which i converted from NS1, do i need to add some sort of sound file to the model compile? howcome it plays no sound for the mines when picking them up? even when i get it from the comm drops and armory.

I have attached the model, obviously there are a few things like textures being huge and oversized etc, this is not really a good example, but it's one that works but doesn't play sound.

Thank you so much!I can't believe someone has been doing this for such a long time!
    As for the issues,I think they have the same causes.BeigeAlertis right! I do need to add the specific frame tag in 3Dsmax like "shoot" and "reload".You can open the source files and see these named frame tag in 3Dsmax.Also,thanks to these source files, I can learn something that isn't mentioned in the Model Tools User Manual and continue with my process.These game updates are great overall,although they had ruined many good custom models,I think Spark has made the models take too much burden,making it difficult to compile an available model for the game,let alone keeping it up-to-date :'(
    The NS1 mine for NS2 is excellent,I guess you had converted all NS1 weapons models into NS2?

BeigeAlert wrote: »
    It sounds like you're missing a "shoot" frame tag. Frame tags are present in animations exported from 3dsmax in the collada (DAE) format that mark certain parts of the animation.

Yep! that is exactly what causes these disturbing problems! You are great! I've made this MP5 model availble via adding specific frame tag in 3Dsmax.But why the Model Tools User Manual doesn't write something about this :/ ,this is so important for the weapons model
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2019
    sXLg wrote: »

Thank you so much!I can't believe someone has been doing this for such a long time!
    As for the issues,I think they have the same causes.BeigeAlertis right! I do need to add the specific frame tag in 3Dsmax like "shoot" and "reload".You can open the source files and see these named frame tag in 3Dsmax.Also,thanks to these source files, I can learn something that isn't mentioned in the Model Tools User Manual and continue with my process.These game updates are great overall,although they had ruined many good custom models,I think Spark has made the models take too much burden,making it difficult to compile an available model for the game,let alone keeping it up-to-date :'(
    The NS1 mine for NS2 is excellent,I guess you had converted all NS1 weapons models into NS2?

Yep :) i've converted the whole lot of them, however i've had other issues like generating proper hitbox which moves with the model and or, do you know how to stop the SKIN from being pulled in the animation? like with some goldsrc models, the skin mesh is pulled with the animation? i can't import the model into spark as seperate mesh as it doesn't animate it properly, it seems to need a single mesh.

Hmm, i meant to say even with the frame tags added, there's no bullet/projectile actually escaping the vehicle, the animation is playing etc, the correct attachpoints are there too, this should fix the pistol issue though (reloading)

Thanks Beige :)

frame_tag shoot "rifle_view.fbx " 124

Kind Regards,
    Archie.

Yep :) i've converted the whole lot of them, however i've had other issues like generating proper hitbox which moves with the model and or, do you know how to stop the SKIN from being pulled in the animation? like with some goldsrc models, the skin mesh is pulled with the animation? i can't import the model into spark as seperate mesh as it doesn't animate it properly, it seems to need a single mesh.

Hmm, i meant to say even with the frame tags added, there's no bullet/projectile actually escaping the vehicle, the animation is playing etc, the correct attachpoints are there too, this should fix the pistol issue though (reloading)

Thanks Beige :)

frame_tag shoot "rifle_view.fbx " 124

Kind Regards,
    Archie.

I've uploaded a video here(My first video in Youtube,lol)
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=xeh0bSe8JlY&t=5s

I'm not sure if this would help you since you said you had added these frame tags but the problems wew still there
    I haven't encountered any issues like yours yet,but I guess this happens because the bones and SKIN in smd files are incompatible with these in DAE or FBX. thes DAE and FBX files are...How to say...somehow strange to me and troubling.I think you could try exporting the mesh and animations as DAE files and see whether the model compiled from DAE works normally.
    edited March 2019
    Looks great mate :) yeah i ended up getting it to work, but the only issues i had were spark not allowing multiple mesh animation in a single file and or the converted mesh from goldsrc,src being broken, though i suspect that's because of the wallworm model tool pro importer i am using on version 2015 3dsmax, i can't be bothered using 2009, might try it since it's on the hdd.

Thanks mate :) got a project going?

might i reccomend openbroadcaster to record :) alot more flexible and better quality.
    edited March 2019
    Looks great mate :) yeah i ended up getting it to work, but the only issues i had were spark not allowing multiple mesh animation in a single file and or the converted mesh from goldsrc,src being broken, though i suspect that's because of the wallworm model tool pro importer i am using on version 2015 3dsmax, i can't be bothered using 2009, might try it since it's on the hdd.

Thanks mate :) got a project going?

might i reccomend openbroadcaster to record :) alot more flexible and better quality.
    Not yet,making models for Spark is a huge problem for me for the moment,there is still so much to learn before I start or attend a project.I'm considering convert Halo's MA5C model into NS2 and share it on workshop,already a long way to go.
    I'll try OBS when I make video next time,thanks for advising :D

edited March 2019
    Do you want to share your MP5? on the forums here? i'd love to learn how you got the meshes to not warp, i am just playing around with CSGO's negev at the moment :D
    Do you want to share your MP5? on the forums here? i'd love to learn how you got the meshes to not warp, i am just playing around with CSGO's negev at the moment :D

Sure,here it is
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/3b4byc70h7l3ifb/Ancient_MP5.zip/file
    I've fixed a small problem that the shoot animation only remains at the first frame like the video I uploaded above

Sure,here it is
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/3b4byc70h7l3ifb/Ancient_MP5.zip/file
    I've fixed a small problem that the shoot animation only remains at the first frame like the video I uploaded above

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1680133234
    ahh :) i've actually just released this, it's not 100% there's still a slight flaw in the reload animation, but i'll fix up other things first, alot of the NS1 models didn't have more advanced idles etc.

I also realised that wallworm pro wasn't working at importing .smd files properly, it was screwing up the bone/mesh imports, i ended up using wunderboy ones.
    edited March 2019
    does anyone have the full list of frametags? https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Activity_List i know that valve uses what they call "Activity list" is there a full list somewhere?

I can't seem to figure out, i know that the frametag for rifle is "shoot" is it not? but inside blender/3dsmax do i need to also name it shoot and shoot_end?

I have explained my issue in the video, i think it's primarily my fault though but i have no idea how to remedy it,
    I know there's "if tagName" i can recursive search this tag, and i have but i am still not close enough, 2009 3dsmax seems to have the same issue for me.

So the file is shoot.dae
    Inside the file there's an animation from:
    0 to 60 with tags inside 3dsmax/blender 0 = shoot and 60 = shoot_end

inside the model_compile there's a manually added tag as:
    frame_tag shoot shoot.dae 0

Is that the correct way of doing things? or does the animation tag inside 3dsmax/blender need a specific name? i can't figure it out for rifle, for pistol as i can understand now it's simply just "shoot" "reload" is there any other tags i need?

correct?

here i am still having an issue, my pistol plays fine however the rifle is screwed.

doesn't reload after running out of 50 bullets, can press r to manually reload, however once reload is finished it won't allow me to shoot again till i switch weapons or use secondary? than after manually pressing R it plays the 50bullets and reloads it self but won't let me shoot till i have switched/secondary... please help

I realized that also my attach-point is not rotated correctly haha.