What is the scariest biome in subnautica?

124»

Comments

• SleeperLeviathanSleeperLeviathan Join Date: 2019-02-01 Member: 249992Members
    I finally took down my first reaper with the help of the stasis rifle. It feels so good to get over my fear of them wrecking my Seamoth.

Does the game itself identify the biome you're in at some point? I never see it. Anyway for me its the bloodvine area outside the Research Facility. I almost got hit by the octopus EMP thing. Not sure how bad it is when it gets you so it was pretty monkaS
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    Uh...none of them. Seriously, people are scared of stuff in a game?

Being startled by something unexpected is one thing, despite the phenomenon being erroneously named "jump scare", but genuinely scared is a bit of a stretch (not counting the few who have genuinely applicable phobias that get triggered when they get "into" the game).
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Uh...none of them. Seriously, people are scared of stuff in a game?

Being startled by something unexpected is one thing, despite the phenomenon being erroneously named "jump scare", but genuinely scared is a bit of a stretch (not counting the few who have genuinely applicable phobias that get triggered when they get "into" the game).

Really depends on your immersion, which depends on your imagination, the quality of the game, and your interests.
  • vtmecovtmeco Việt Nam Join Date: 2018-12-25 Member: 247019Members
    Blood Kelp. It's scary
  • CochonouCochonou France Join Date: 2019-01-19 Member: 249024Members
    Does the game itself identify the biome you're in at some point? I never see it.

The only instances I know are the PresenceExploring_biome_xxxx status text strings, which appear on PSN (and I guess Steam ?) when other players are playing the game. Typically, "Exploring the Grassy Plateaus".
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    Cochonou wrote: »
    Does the game itself identify the biome you're in at some point? I never see it.

The only instances I know are the PresenceExploring_biome_xxxx status text strings, which appear on PSN (and I guess Steam ?) when other players are playing the game. Typically, "Exploring the Grassy Plateaus".

There is an entry in one of the F-key pages, I forget which one, that tells you what biome you're in. Ruins immersion completely, but that's pretty much the only way I know of at least on PC.
  • EXErarEXErar Join Date: 2017-08-03 Member: 232203Members
  • FIRED3STROYERFIRED3STROYER Join Date: 2019-02-02 Member: 250195Members
    My Least Favourite Biome/Area Is the dead zone because it is so dark and you are constantly getting jumped by ghost leviathins
  • DiverSurviverDiverSurviver Wyoming Join Date: 2019-02-04 Member: 250351Members
    The active lava zone. You can't exit your vehicle for long cause it's 50°C and the dragon and everything with kill you every five seconds if it could. Also the setting doesn't sit well. I feel like the place could come down on me and you can't even see the ceiling cause the fog and space. And the alien tech kinds of odd. It gives do much story but still has holes if you haven't gotten around to studying everything from other facilitates
  • SleeperLeviathanSleeperLeviathan Join Date: 2019-02-01 Member: 249992Members
    I have to agree with dead zone. If you find yourself there, youre probably lost, and then you get jumped leviathans.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    The active lava zone. You can't exit your vehicle for long cause it's 50°C and the dragon and everything with kill you every five seconds if it could. Also the setting doesn't sit well. I feel like the place could come down on me and you can't even see the ceiling cause the fog and space. And the alien tech kinds of odd. It gives do much story but still has holes if you haven't gotten around to studying everything from other facilitates

You need to craft a reinforced dive suit.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    I finally took down my first reaper with the help of the stasis rifle. It feels so good to get over my fear of them wrecking my Seamoth.

Does the game itself identify the biome you're in at some point? I never see it. Anyway for me its the bloodvine area outside the Research Facility. I almost got hit by the octopus EMP thing. Not sure how bad it is when it gets you so it was pretty monkaS

If you press F1 you can find out which biome you're in, as well as you coordinates and some other possibly useful info. F1 toggles it off.
  • CptnHerpCptnHerp Join Date: 2019-02-04 Member: 250418Members
  • SmanDaManSmanDaMan Join Date: 2019-01-25 Member: 249346Members
    Grand Reef/Deep Grand Reef. I have a subnautica interactive map bookmarked, so I don't accidentally go into the Mountains or The Dunes or whatever. Conveniently, it also has a toggle for Leviathans, so I knew going in that the Grand Reef had T W O Ghost Leviathans. Yeah, that sucked. What made it worse was that I surfaced my Cyclops, waiting to get to the area where the Grand Reef was. I pop in the coords for my area, and the Grand Reef was right below me.

Have you ever descended like 500 meters where when you look down there's only blackness and you have no idea if you're about to ram yourself into a Ghost Leviathan? Not a fun time.

Went to the Degasi base with my prawn suit. There was a crabsquid outside not really impacting me until I got outside. Got the stuff, got out. Got into Prawn. There were a Crabsquid and a warper fighting when I got into the base earlier. They decide to settle their differences and take my lunch money. Prawn suit goes down, pretty spookethd. Then a warper warps me outside, and that scared me so badly I screamed IRL. I was panicking now, however, whenever I got into the prawn, the jets were out, so I couldn't go anywhere. Amazingly, I got out of there. Went straight back to the base. Haven't played the game since.
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Dunes

Fricken Reapers in vast, open water, man.

The Crater Edge is a close second, though I technically don't count it given how you're not supposed to be extensively exploring it in normal gameplay.
  • BlindGuardianBlindGuardian Canada Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217604Members
    Mountains for me

Warpers, Reapers, giant open space, and just something about being near the mountain really gives you a feeling of how deep you are
  • nubly55nubly55 Join Date: 2019-02-23 Member: 251277Members
    About 10 minutes ago I was in the jelly caves for the sea base and some diamond. I was going about my business, about to leave, when I saw a piece of lithium. Very unassuming little metal looking rock. I went out of my seamoth to grab it when all of a sudden a caraar infected crabsnake comes in grabs me and I physically scream and put my hands over my eyes. I then went to immediatly make this comment after saving 3 times and going to get some water
  • apexlegendssucksapexlegendssucks Join Date: 2019-02-22 Member: 251212Members
    Innova wrote: »
    What's your opinion? For me it is that open, dark area of the underwater islands.

Probably jelly shrooms because I have a fear of snakes
  • DansHereDansHere New Zealand Join Date: 2018-06-07 Member: 241209Members
  • Lad444Lad444 United States Join Date: 2021-04-13 Member: 269057Members
    Mountains because if I need anything from there and take my seamoth, the reapers just make it an unpleasant experience, not a scary place.
  • Harrisonbr9Harrisonbr9 Join Date: 2021-05-25 Member: 270615Members
    I think the inactive lava zone is the scariest because of the sea dragons and the warpers, and especially when you accidentally fall in the lava with the prawn suit while you are being attacked by the sea dragon.
  • BakermanBakerman Join Date: 2021-04-27 Member: 269499Members
    The active lava zone. Other places were darker or had better jump scares, but taking my PRAWN so deep I had no idea of whether or not I could get back up? Yeah, that got me.
  • kuftikuftikuftikufti Turkey Join Date: 2021-06-05 Member: 271091Members
    With no questions : Deep Grand Reef !
  • LadyfirstLadyfirst Pa. Join Date: 2020-03-06 Member: 258519Members
    ~ Anywhere there are multiple chilicerates and squid sharks while I'm trying to focus on getting something as well as on my oxygen level!
    It's really unnerving!