Pause/Esc Menu Bug

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited January 2019
    Chedman wrote: »
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    For me, if I restart my computer, it works fine until another app uses audio. If that happens, then I have to restart my computer.

That sounds like something you could fix by changing the exclusive settings here (or updating your audio drivers):

16j51tt.png
    I don't even have that.
    sujyyaf3a88n.png

Different area. In Windows 10, right-click the speaker in the notification area, then choose Sound Settings, then click Device Properties (of your output device, not input), then click the Advanced tab.
  • ChedmanChedman Join Date: 2018-12-22 Member: 246659Members
    For me, if I restart my computer, it works fine until another app uses audio. If that happens, then I have to restart my computer.

That sounds like something you could fix by changing the exclusive settings here (or updating your audio drivers):

16j51tt.png
    I don't even have that.
    sujyyaf3a88n.png

Different area. In Windows 10, right-click the speaker in the notification area, then choose Sound Settings, then click Device Properties (of your output device, not input), then click the Advanced tab.

It worked, thanks!
    edited January 2019

16j51tt.png
    I don't even have that.
    sujyyaf3a88n.png

It worked, thanks!

No problem! @acedude ^ seems this is a possible solution but I'm not sure if it's driver related or Subnautica related.
  • SchlizerSchlizer Join Date: 2019-01-29 Member: 249612Members
    WOW the change to an usb headphone or Monitor speaker solve all problems. Every 3,5mm output (speaker or Headphones) let the bug fest begin. Thanks for your help guys. Wish you a good loot
  • madsaucemadsauce San Francisco Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185442Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica PT Lead
    @Chedman and @AceDude please let me know if the exclusivity checkboxes solved the issue from @0x6A7232 's suggestion. Thanks for following up @0x6A7232 , much appreciated.
  • ChedmanChedman Join Date: 2018-12-22 Member: 246659Members
    madsauce wrote: »
    @Chedman and @AceDude please let me know if the exclusivity checkboxes solved the issue from @0x6A7232 's suggestion. Thanks for following up @0x6A7232 , much appreciated.

It solved the issue. It was ticked, so I unticked it and it works.
  • metiumetiu Australia Join Date: 2019-02-01 Member: 250022Members
    edited February 2019
    Hi there, I played Subnautica when it first came out of early access, and it was great. I decided to reinstall the game to play it before Below Zero launches, but I encountered this Pause/Esc menu bug. I've tried basically everything that have been said in this thread, namely:
      • Updating my Windows 10 to the latest version
      • Updating all my drivers (including audio and video card drivers)
      • Unchecking the exclusivity checkboxes in sound settings
      • Restart Windows Audio Service

Here is my output_log.txt: pastebin .com/bxzBiRrR
      Here is my DxDiag: pastebin .com/D7FFEPX3

However, I still have no luck getting the game to run properly, both the vanilla Subnautica and Subnautica: Below Zero. It's a shame because I wanted to enjoy this beautiful game again :( . Any response or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!
    • ferny13ferny13 Texas Join Date: 2019-01-02 Member: 247835Members
      metiu wrote: »
      Hi there, I played Subnautica when it first came out of early access, and it was great. I decided to reinstall the game to play it before Below Zero launches, but I encountered this Pause/Esc menu bug. I've tried basically everything that have been said in this thread, namely:

However, I still have no luck getting the game to run properly, both the vanilla Subnautica and Subnautica: Below Zero. It's a shame because I wanted to enjoy this beautiful game again :( . Any response or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Try using some USB headphones. That's the only temporary solution that's worked.
        ferny13 wrote: »

Try using some USB headphones. That's the only temporary solution that's worked.

I am already using a pair of USB headphones (Steelseries Arctis 7), but the issue is still unresolved :'(
        • MadWolfMadWolf Join Date: 2019-02-03 Member: 250275Members
          edited February 2019

metiu when you first played Subnautica what operating system where you running if windows 10 what build

any one getting this bug what operating system are you running are you all running windows 10 ?
            if you are running windows 10 what build are you using ?

edit looking at the DxDiag files that have been posted this looks like a windows 10 bug

• WhatEvenWhatEven Join Date: 2019-02-03 Member: 250293Members
            edited February 2019
            I'm having the same problem. This is my DxDiag:vCQfB3bK. The code is for pastebin. Could you help? I'm not putting in the actual link because I haven't been around the forums long enough.
          • WhatEvenWhatEven Join Date: 2019-02-03 Member: 250293Members
            edited February 2019
            I'm seeing three output_log text documents. 2 of them are 1.30 KB but the other one is 15.4 MB. Which one should I send you?
            MadWolf wrote: »

metiu when you first played Subnautica what operating system where you running if windows 10 what build
              bing windows 10 what build are you using ?

edit looking at the DxDiag files that have been posted this looks like a windows 10 bug

I have no idea about the build version of my Windows 10 when I first played Subnutica, but currently my windows 10 OS is version 1803, build 17134.556
            • r0cksaltr0cksalt Join Date: 2019-02-05 Member: 250442Members
              edited February 2019
              So i have also got the Esc/Bug issue, but i not also seeing the cinematic to begin with.
              I load into the game, the splash screen goes through the loading process and then hits me with a back screen saying " press any key to continue" i hit space and the black screen stays there. hitting escape drops a small bit of text to the bottom left saying " hold ESC to exit" and i do this and i exit to the main subnautica start page where i can start or load a game or access options.

When i start any game type i load into the capsule, i can move around, and interact with object, even climb ladder and exit capsule and swim in water, but when i hit the escape key, i get the menu up and i cant click on anything, i can still move around the environment a bit, not very effectively, as the escape menu overlay block all mouse axis controls from then on. i cant exit this menu and have to windows key out to the taskbar.. right click and close the app.

i can play a full spectrum of games from WoW to Rust to Conan Exiles to Ark, Destiny 2 and Day-Z all with no problems

what i have done so far...

changed resolutions
              tried the opengl noforce option
              uninstalled / reinstalled
              verified files
              run compatibility mode win7 and win 8
              Set subnautica.exe to run as admin
              updated Nvidia Drives to latest set
              updates Realtek Audio drives to latest set from Dell website for alienware
              Windows updates fully updated
              rebooted in between each update

my spec is:
              Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)
              System Manufacturer: Alienware
              System Model: Alienware 17 R4
              Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
              Memory: 32768MB RAM
              NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

i have the pastebins for the files, but the forum won't let me paste as i haven't been a member long enough yet.... sort of silly i think seeing as steams refund policy is at odds with this if i want to get support. i've already gone through refund on subnautica a few days ago as i felt i shouldn't be wasting time on this, but im just drawn back to it, so if i can't resolve it this time round, i'll just refund and walk away.
              this is the sort of thing im getting btw

first part of output.log
              hxxps://pastebin.com/qwNE2xXv

last part of output.log
              hxxps://pastebin.com/vcy1h4if

DXDiag Paste
              hxxps://pastebin.com/qz2JLWKf

(Filename: C:/Subnautica/plastic_workspace_unity/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

SystemNotInitializedException: FMOD Studio initialization failed : Calling initialize : ERR_OUTPUT_INIT : Error initializing output device.
              at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.CheckInitResult (RESULT result, System.String cause) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
              at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.Initialiase (Boolean forceNoNetwork) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
              at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.get_Instance () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I'd really like to try this game out as it look very very cool.

Thanks

r0cksalt wrote: »
              So i have also got the Esc/Bug issue, but i not also seeing the cinematic to begin with.
              I load into the game, the splash screen goes through the loading process and then hits me with a back screen saying " press any key to continue" i hit space and the black screen stays there. hitting escape drops a small bit of text to the bottom left saying " hold ESC to exit" and i do this and i exit to the main subnautica start page where i can start or load a game or access options.

When i start any game type i load into the capsule, i can move around, and interact with object, even climb ladder and exit capsule and swim in water, but when i hit the escape key, i get the menu up and i cant click on anything, i can still move around the environment a bit, not very effectively, as the escape menu overlay block all mouse axis controls from then on. i cant exit this menu and have to windows key out to the taskbar.. right click and close the app.

i can play a full spectrum of games from WoW to Rust to Conan Exiles to Ark, Destiny 2 and Day-Z all with no problems

what i have done so far...

changed resolutions
              tried the opengl noforce option
              uninstalled / reinstalled
              verified files
              run compatibility mode win7 and win 8
              Set subnautica.exe to run as admin
              updated Nvidia Drives to latest set
              updates Realtek Audio drives to latest set from Dell website for alienware
              Windows updates fully updated
              rebooted in between each update

my spec is:
              Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)
              System Manufacturer: Alienware
              System Model: Alienware 17 R4
              Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
              Memory: 32768MB RAM
              NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

i have the pastebins for the files, but the forum won't let me paste as i haven't been a member long enough yet.... sort of silly i think seeing as steams refund policy is at odds with this if i want to get support. i've already gone through refund on subnautica a few days ago as i felt i shouldn't be wasting time on this, but im just drawn back to it, so if i can't resolve it this time round, i'll just refund and walk away.
              this is the sort of thing im getting btw

first part of output.log
              hxxps://pastebin.com/qwNE2xXv

last part of output.log
              hxxps://pastebin.com/vcy1h4if

DXDiag Paste
              hxxps://pastebin.com/qz2JLWKf

(Filename: C:/Subnautica/plastic_workspace_unity/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

SystemNotInitializedException: FMOD Studio initialization failed : Calling initialize : ERR_OUTPUT_INIT : Error initializing output device.
              at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.CheckInitResult (RESULT result, System.String cause) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
              at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.Initialiase (Boolean forceNoNetwork) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
              at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.get_Instance () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I'd really like to try this game out as it look very very cool.

Thanks

I've also unticked the use exclusively audio device as well, still no luck.
              I'm perplexed as to why i don't see the cinematic before hand either, when the games loading and the black screen appear, my gpu fan spins up, so something is actually trying to initiate a movie sequence loading but nothing appears on screen and no sounds either.
              Curiously, when i exit the pod, swim around, collect some scraps etc, then come back to the pod, i enter the pod and it locks my movements, weirdly it just send my char slowly climbing to ladder till i hit the top and can't move anymore, this is all before i hit esc button and lock myself into the downward spiral that many others report. even when i die of thirst inside the pod, it won't allow me to respawn or restart, i just have to taskmanager kill the application... sometimes i have to kill steam completely as it says the game is still running and won't allow me to restart.

im going to download and install the FMOD studio app itself and try running the game after that and see if that helps... more on this later
              so installed and it made absolutely no difference to the game. still same bugs/problems.
              Fmod app is a bit clunky i think, nice screen though, much like some vid editors i've used i think i might have a play around with it further :P
              i've had success !
              so i connected a bluetooth headset.. a soundpeats A2 and sound and cinimatics work. no more esc bug issue
              interestingly, my laptop power went out, so i had to connect power... but it suspended itself before i could connect... upon power up the sound was coming through the laptops speakers as the headset disconnected itself !!! so sounds was working fine.
              exiting the game and restarting the game gave me the same problems as before.

reconnecting the bluetooth headset works and the game plays as it should.

so the problem is realtek audio usage by the game.

@devs if you need some experimentation or logs and stuff let me know and ill provide everything i can.
              r0cksalt wrote: »
              i've had success !
              so i connected a bluetooth headset.. a soundpeats A2 and sound and cinimatics work. no more esc bug issue
              interestingly, my laptop power went out, so i had to connect power... but it suspended itself before i could connect... upon power up the sound was coming through the laptops speakers as the headset disconnected itself !!! so sounds was working fine.
              exiting the game and restarting the game gave me the same problems as before.

reconnecting the bluetooth headset works and the game plays as it should.

so the problem is realtek audio usage by the game.

@devs if you need some experimentation or logs and stuff let me know and ill provide everything i can.

@madsauce ^ relevant info
            • AcezblazelionAcezblazelion Join Date: 2019-02-09 Member: 250726Members
              Hey im having the same issue as everyone else here and ive tried everything that has worked for other people. Ive checked and Unchecked the box, Ive Uninstalled and Reinstalled, Ive connected a Bluetooth device and launched the game, Ive connected a USB audio device and nothing seems to be working. Ive installed new RealTech Audio drivers and Ive used others in the past. I get the sames issue on all attempts and combination of attempts. When the game starts up i have no audio then if i progress to the game menu and start up a game it doesn't load the cinematic scene if i use Esc to skip it i can walk around freely, if i pick up an item on the ground my game freezes until i open the Menu in which case the game Soft locks, if I instead open my Inventory my game soft locks. Im really upset about this because i was able to play the game just a few short months ago and i would like to get back into the game that ive been playing since its launch in the steam market
            • madsaucemadsauce San Francisco Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185442Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica PT Lead
              Thank you all for the helpful info. I'm passing this along to the team. Can anyone experiencing this problem and who also has Subnautica: Below Zero let me know if they're experiencing this problem on there as well?
              Hey Madsauce if you need i can record ( Or just do a share screen via Discord) my screen and look through any files you think may be worth investigating since i still have the issue
              @r0cksalt Can you set your power button to suspend (sleep) your laptop, reproduce the bug, sleep / resume, and verify that that is a workaround for the problem?
              Thanks @Acezblazelion for the offer, I may reach out to you directly. I spoke with Obraxis and he has had some experience with users having a very similar issue as this in the past. He made a point that I don't think I saw brought up here, but the manufacturers drivers for the soundcards did not solve the problem in the past and people needed to get their drivers directly from Realtek/C-Media. I went to check on Realtek's site and it can be a problem finding them, although they have a tool that is supposed to identify and download the latest drivers you need link. If anyone tries the direct driver approach from Realtek can you let me know if that solves the problem for you.

Here is a link to suggestions for audio related issues (and more issues) can be found on the Steam Troubleshooting guide(applies to all PC versions of Subnautica).
              Hey @madsauce I tried what you recommended but it had no effect probably because ive already installed these drivers in the past (Or at least tried it said these were controller drivers so maybe it was the wrong link).
              https://youtube.com/watch?v=mgIaWD6FyMY This will take you to a short video of my game
            • GumehiGumehi Join Date: 2019-02-17 Member: 251015Members
              Is the problem also on below zero? I want to get it
            • TraynackTraynack Join Date: 2018-12-17 Member: 246158Members
              I have the same problem except mine makes the game unplayable.
            • GumehiGumehi Join Date: 2019-02-17 Member: 251015Members
              Hey, Ive got a good update the error or glitch or whatever we're calling it doesnt happen when playing Below Zero so it only exists in base Subnatica
            • JalekatashJalekatash Join Date: 2019-02-24 Member: 251287Members
              Guys I found it! I have spent hours and hours trying to figure out my audio with the game and the pause/esc menu bug. I have been having the same problem as pretty much all of you combined, and I have tried updating my realtek and configuring setting for SO long. But I just found out that my problem was never WITH Realtek. There is a program called Sonic Studio that I suppose comes by default with what I assume are Realtek computers that is screwing it all up. I went into my task manager and ended the processes that started with "ss" and that completely solved it for Subnautica and many other games. Maybe your Sonic Studio 3 needs an update, or it just needs to be deleted. Pick your favorite, and I hope this solves all you guys problems.