ns2_refinery_refined

13»

Comments

• ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2018
    iICKjFT.jpg

Flow Control
    * Extruded glass room towards tech point to prevent sniping of structures from Extraction
    * Added pillar to room to remove a large line-of-sight issue and make something of the empty space

Extraction
    * Raised the big overhang thing to keep Exos and Onos from getting stuck on the stairs
    * Raised the scaffolding-beams above the big overhang to give aliens a bit more cover

Transit
    * Lowered lava buckets to create more cover for skulks
    * Removed pathing beneath these to keep structures from being placed in possibly invulnerable places
    * Re-assembled some lava buckets to better block line of sight and create alien friendly bottlenecks

Containment
    * Re-added horrible horrible horrible grating on ceiling for more alien cover (probably temporarily)

Chasm
    * Re-added horrible horrible horrible grating on ceiling for more alien cover (were temporarily)

Lava Falls
    * Added aesthetically terrible large metal plates hanging from ceiling for more Fade/Lerk cover, likely to be replaced in the future with something more elegant and something that makes sense

I may have gone too far in a few places.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Zavaro wrote: »
    Lava Falls
    * Added aesthetically terrible large metal plates hanging from ceiling for more Fade/Lerk cover, likely to be replaced in the future with something more elegant and something that makes sense
    A broken train?
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    That overhang thing in Extraction was annoying me for ages, good job!

Aside from that a really horrible, horrible update!
    I'm sure the gratings are very grateful you gave them their job back.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Don't worry. They were so temporary that I've already removed almost all of them. Knee-jerk reactions in both directions! Damn the vox populi!
    edited September 2018
    General
    * Fixed a huge number of locations that were previously unpowered
    * Fixed names on minimap to better show their locations
    * Additional fixes to CommanderInvisible

Lava Falls
    * Reverted tower change
    * Reverted southern Lava Falls RT

Furnace
    * Removed Furnace due to marine rotation ease

Smelting
    * Reverted Smelting EW mirroring

Chasm
    * Added nooks near the Turbine entrance to better help Aliens close distance with Marines
    * Re-re-re-added the ceiling gratings (Grrr)
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I checked the wonitor stats on vanilla refinery recently and I was shocked about Turbine winrates..for both teams.
    I knew it was bad, but I don't think that's easily fixable. Did you already disable that spawn for both teams?
    Your idea about the Lava Falls - Chasm corridor going to Turbine instead might help, if there is also more cover at the exit in Lava Falls.

I've also noticed there are no ways for Aliens from Containment to get safely to the Lava Falls ceiling.
    Maybe a pipe like this would help to give Skulks an easier way up there from Containment, while being covered from Lava Falls:
    dtze0pakwqv4.jpg

Also the 2 ceiling vents in Containment and Heatsink are just terrible for Skulks. They need an easy and quick route to them via map props or maybe consider moving those entrances?!

pSyk0mAn wrote: »
    I checked the wonitor stats on vanilla refinery recently and I was shocked about Turbine winrates..for both teams.
    I knew it was bad, but I don't think that's easily fixable. Did you already disable that spawn for both teams?

Turbine is disabled as a spawn, yes. There was an issue with a Shine plugin that was allowing teams to spawn there. Really bad spot, really.
    Your idea about the Lava Falls - Chasm corridor going to Turbine instead might help, if there is also more cover at the exit in Lava Falls.

I agree, but it's a lot of work, and I've scaled back what I really wanted to do here with this. I might continue with that path, but for now I've just disabled the spawn.
    I've also noticed there are no ways for Aliens from Containment to get safely to the Lava Falls ceiling.
    Maybe a pipe like this would help to give Skulks an easier way up there from Containment, while being covered from Lava Falls:
    dtze0pakwqv4.jpg

I like this idea. I was planning on adding some chains up to the upper levels, but this seems more visible and cohesive.
    Also the 2 ceiling vents in Containment and Heatsink are just terrible for Skulks. They need an easy and quick route to them via map props or maybe consider moving those entrances?!

Yeah. I made the square vent entrance a lot better for aliens entering and exiting the vent in a live update some months ago as the entrance itself was buggy, but I agree that they're really hard to reach for skulks due to location. I want to make Heatsink better for aliens as it's currently one of the most open long lines of sight in the game.

On the topic of Heatsinks, I do still have plans to make Pipeworks northern entrance more alien friendly, but things are a bit slow due to some real life business.
  • Vman007Vman007 New York Join Date: 2014-01-22 Member: 193411Members
    I really REALLY liked the previous version of refinery_refined. Especially furnace and smelting tech pt. But now it feels pretty much the same as stock. Which isn't good. But ill digress and give it time.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    The exit to the containment vent is just bad for Skulks that try to wallhop out of the vent... you just lose speed more easily...
    Vman007 wrote: »
    I really REALLY liked the previous version of refinery_refined. Especially furnace and smelting tech pt. But now it feels pretty much the same as stock. Which isn't good. But ill digress and give it time.

Unfortunately it exacerbated problems the vanilla versions had. I liked them too, but they weren't making the map better for both teams, only marines, and too much so from what I had seen, played, and monitored. Sucks, man.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    The "Big Pillar" update
    I've played with the recent update and I really liked it.
    The only thing that feels a bit weird is the flow entrance from lava, but I need to play it more in order to form an opinion about
    Handschuh wrote: »
    The "Big Pillar" update
    I've played with the recent update and I really liked it.
    The only thing that feels a bit weird is the flow entrance from lava, but I need to play it more in order to form an opinion about

Yeah, it definitely doesn't feel natural. I've been trying to find some way of making it feel a more lived in, natural place. I've added some additional clutter to the room in the interim.
    edited December 2018
    The Stuff I Forgot But Psyk Told Me To Do A Second Time And Other Things Edition

General
    * Forced Containment to always spawn Aliens
    * Forced Flow Control to always spawn Marines
    * Teams can no longer spawn in Smelting or Turbine
    * Fixed some OcclusionGeo issues
    * Reformatted all the layers into my typical clean layout
    * Tweaked minimap extents
    * Reverted glass to gross original look
    iv7HNyX.jpg

Pipeworks
    * Increased EW width of central pillar to help aliens a bit more
    SmBf7Bw.jpg

Falls Approach
    * Added additional console to hallway to give aliens some cover as they enter or exit the vent
    iiBMZGW.jpg

Lava Falls
    * Added lava trim decals to the lava areas
    dLco6f7.jpg
    * Added additional pipe to help aliens reach ceiling as well as provide some minimal cover to approach the tower
    junfr0N.jpg

Chasm
    * Cleaned up the minimap in the northern area of this room

Routing
    * Added additional cubby for aliens
    ik7UzLB.jpg

Extraction
    * New visual pass. Redid the geo underneath the floor, as only about 1/4 was complete in the vanilla build
    GK0pssZ.jpg

Still have to figure out what to do with those dumb pipes.

Vents
    * Added Turbine-Chasm vent
    HGwTzUr.jpgL0aYYBi.jpg
    edited December 2018
    Wow that was fast!
    Have you tried to use two glass planes for reflection and dirty glass?
    Maybe it would be possible to combine that into one material. I think Unearthed would benefit from that too.
    Wow that was fast!
    Have you tried to use two glass planes for reflection and dirty glass?
    Maybe it would be possible to combine that into one material. I think Unearthed would benefit from that too.

Yeah, I did, but I didn't really like it. Prefer it to be really dirty. What I really need is a "greasy" glass shader with duplicate geometry.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I agree with psyk, for everything apart from the extraction vent, I think marines should be able to access it. other than that, great suggestions imo.
    Flow Control is the better Marine Start compared to Containment.
    That vent is basicly another route for Marines to the middle or to backstab.
    It has long line of sight and Marines can even walk in the first part.
    It's almost completely useless for Aliens not starting in Flow Control and makes it even harder for them to attack all that Marine backres, since Exchange and Transit are both very far away from Containment and easy to defend.