[CRASH] Game crashed and I LOST MY SAVE [PS4]

FodoxDiverFodoxDiver Brasil Join Date: 2018-06-11 Member: 241315Members
edited December 2018 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Nooooooooooooo, I tried to save my game and it gave a message “Error Trying to save The Game” (in portuguese). Pushed Yes for retry, and it crashed.
When I came back MY SAVE WAS GONE. Dozens of hours...
Tried another New Game, same bug after a few hours.
Happens also on creative mode (picture).
HELP.
t3mrhy7ujj1n.jpeg

Version 1.04

After this first occurance the game would not save, no matter what. Allways the same error and crash (Invalid call). It became unplayable.
Tried to uninstall/reinstall the game to no succes. The only thing that worked and “fixed” the issue was when I deleted the save files, via PS4 settings menu. Game started to save properly again. Problem is I dont know when this will happen again.

Edit: version
Edit 2: temporary “solution”.

Comments

• agent_BARTONagent_BARTON Join Date: 2018-12-08 Member: 245347Members
    This just happened to me. I got the error message and when I went back into the game, all my saves are gone. They’re still in my online storage but the game won’t load them. I believe this happened on Xbox too. I hope they release a patch soon. I made so much progress and I don’t wanna start over.
  • FodoxDiverFodoxDiver Brasil Join Date: 2018-06-11 Member: 241315Members
    This just happened to me. I got the error message and when I went back into the game, all my saves are gone. They’re still in my online storage but the game won’t load them. I believe this happened on Xbox too. I hope they release a patch soon. I made so much progress and I don’t wanna start over.

I discarted the old files and started a new game.
    This time, before every session, I make a copy of the save files on a USB device (via PS4 menu). If it crashes and corrupt the files again I should lose just one day of progress. It is an absurd amount of annoying work, but should do the trick until they send in another patch, hopefully soon.
  • FreeRida2021FreeRida2021 Join Date: 2018-12-09 Member: 245363Members
    Same this just happened to me too. I am so mad, I had hours of time in this game. Now I don't even want to play it anymore because I lost my save file. This really sucks I hope they fix this somehow and get our save files back.
  • Mechromancer_DTMechromancer_DT Canada Join Date: 2018-12-09 Member: 245368Members
    Unknown worlds please fix the ps4 version I get lags from entering seamoth and my base even the lifepod 5. Also I get randomly shot in the air then fall to my death in cyclops and in lifepod 5. Within 1 hour of play my game keeps crashing and I can’t progress cause of it. After I save my game and a crash happens it loads the an older save and not the new save I made. I play on PS4 Pro please fix these issues thank you.
  • FreeRida2021FreeRida2021 Join Date: 2018-12-09 Member: 245363Members
    Just like FodoxDiver said, I can't even play the game anymore without deleting my save files in PS4 data settings. I don't want to do that in case Unknown worlds fixes this issue. So looks like I won't be playing this game until this issue is fixed :(
  • LittlestOfMans0676LittlestOfMans0676 Join Date: 2018-12-09 Member: 245406Members
    The same thing happened to me on Ps4. It crashes randomly, but most of the time its when I try to save. This really sucks because I love the game and I waited forever for it to come out on Ps4 because I just have a laptop. Guess I'll just wait until it gets patched...
  • MorkayMorkay US Join Date: 2018-12-10 Member: 245442Members
    Same here. Same error message, now the files are visible in the ps4 storage view but not able to load int he game, nor able to save any other new game.
    Happened again. This time I was further down the story. Elements of the background started to not load (maybe that is a sign of imminent crash). Tried to save and... Invalid Call error.
    Glad to inform that my idea of making a backup of the save file before every session worked. Erased the corrupted save and replaced it with the backup. Lost but a couple of hours.
    Cmon devs. I love this game. This is a serious issue.
  • kschaillkschaill United States Join Date: 2018-12-11 Member: 245474Members
    I am unable to even save my game I bought digitally on PS4 and no matter how many times I start a new game or redownload I am unable to save it says save failed bad call makes it not even playable or enjoyable and I have waited for this game since I heard about it. I am playing on PS4 pro anyone else have this issue?
    kschaill wrote: »
    I am unable to even save my game I bought digitally on PS4 and no matter how many times I start a new game or redownload I am unable to save it says save failed bad call makes it not even playable or enjoyable and I have waited for this game since I heard about it. I am playing on PS4 pro anyone else have this issue?

Try deleting the old (corrupted) save file:
    On the PS4 main menu go to Settings>Application Saved Data Management>Saved Data in System Storage>Delete>Subnautica Save

That should allow your game to save properly again.

Warning: it will probably happen again at some point (while the patch doesn’t come). I deal with this making backups.
  • primoprimo Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245519Members
    Iam losing mine saves constantly after crash 1-5 saves are gone :D I love the game but i think game was rushed should be out later and polished more.There is more than crashing after first crash game buged totaly PDas respawning no more signals incoming cant find CTO Yu lifepod game simply ignored things i did even befor save after crash these things are core issue.I would love to play game but in this state i simply cant
  • HappyAntHappyAnt Join Date: 2018-12-13 Member: 245597Members
    I'm experiencing the same issue.

Subnautica Version - V1.04
    Description - Saving fails, game crashes with error code CE-34878-0, then save file is missing from the game. Also cannot save afterwards in new games unless Subnautica save data is deleted from the PS4 first at Settings>Application Saved Data Management>Saved Data in System Storage>Delete>Subnautica Save
    Reproduction steps - Seems like just playing the game does the trick...
    Pictures or Video - same sa above "Save data saving failed (invalid call). Try again? Yes/No"

This is such a disappointment.
    This error (Invalid call) happend a few more times, but as I was making back-ups of the save files I managed to advance in the story.

Its been now several days since the last invalid call error. Sure I had some crashs, most of them during saving when the background was having loading issues, but never an “invalid call”. Several days without loosing saves.

Maybe the error is somehow contained in the first hours and activities of the game. Maybe the patch worked at some extent. Maybe my been carefull to only save when all the background is loaded and with no lag helps.
  • jdw805jdw805 SoCal Join Date: 2019-01-12 Member: 248633Members
    I just downloaded this today on Xbox 1 and my son can't save his progress. Says Invalid Call. He lost his base and is in tears!!!!
  • Canadian_KeystoneCanadian_Keystone Canada Join Date: 2019-01-13 Member: 248645Members
    Sad part is for all the players giving up - the Devs already have our money. And yet, it's such an addicting game - Ill try again in 6 months, assuming they bother to fix one of the most basic, critical parts of any game. Why not offer multiple save slots? It makes no sense.
  • madsaucemadsauce San Francisco Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185442Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica PT Lead
    @jwd805 I'm very sorry you and your son lost your progress. We are working with Panic Button to track down how this could be happening and fix it.